Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 934 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1160Likes
post #27991 of 28018 Old 01-26-2016, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topk View Post
Would you say that XD 200 is bright sounding? One review mentioned this.... Just curious
Never heard a good soft dome tweeter ever sounding bright... Anytime I have it is usually some not very good electronics mated with the speaker and occasionally some good equipment that just doesn't mate well with that specific speaker. I have heard a lot of the newer all in one speakers that have built in Amps called bright, but the XD series wasn't one of them.
Matrixman18 and no quarter like this.

Dynaudio,Magnepan,Musical Fidelity,KEF, etc......
Founding Charter Member: E.S.A.C. (Eastern Shore Audio Collective)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27992 of 28018 Old 01-26-2016, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Do I need to switch off Naim & Marantz daily or occasionally? Will keeping them switched on for long time overheat them?
post #27993 of 28018 Old 01-26-2016, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixman18 View Post
Do I need to switch off Naim & Marantz daily or occasionally? Will keeping them switched on for long time overheat them?
I turn the Marantz off and leave the Naim on

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, NaimUniti 2, Naim Stageline N, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic, Marantz SR7007, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #27994 of 28018 Old 01-27-2016, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixman18 View Post
Naim gear should always be on, as per Naim forum guidance.

Rega DAC + Rega Brio R + Dynaudio DM 2/6
post #27995 of 28018 Old 01-27-2016, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 0
@Topk , Thanks buddy.
@no quarter , Yes, including the Linn speakers. The problem is Import duty tax. I'm currently working overseas and the import duty tax here is insane. I am trying to figure out how to get the speakers and pay minimum tax or just avoid paying it. Any suggestions?
post #27996 of 28018 Old 01-27-2016, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Ferrari View Post
@Topk , Thanks buddy.
@no quarter , Yes, including the Linn speakers. The problem is Import duty tax. I'm currently working overseas and the import duty tax here is insane. I am trying to figure out how to get the speakers and pay minimum tax or just avoid paying it. Any suggestions?
I have no idea how to avoid import duty taxes,but your situation working overseas gives me another in the PLUS column for reasons to buy the xeo's or xd's...you could easily box up a pair when travelling around the world,and have a killer system...on the road

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , focus xd 600, confidence centre, excite12, neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, 2 Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray
2 channel-naim supernait 2, hi-cap Dr, uniqute 2, chord hugo, teac pd-501 DSd player,paradigm moniter 90-p
post #27997 of 28018 Old 01-27-2016, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland150 View Post
Well that may be due to the new crossover. For those who think that Contour sound is laid back then brighter high is an improvement. For me I think a pair of speakers that sound bright is often difficult to match to other equipments.
I agree, certainly I wouldn't call the current Contour "bright". I own a pair of 3.4 LE and have had direct comparison with a pair of Focus 380 in very same room (my very own) with same electronics. The Focus has more emphasis on the higher frequency and the sound stage comes forward a bit more. While the Contour is wider, much wider. The Contour is more balanced out of the two series. The Focus owner commented he likes the vocals on mine over his Focus. But I do think the Focus has more get up and go, that I think is partly due to electronics I had paired with the Dyns and the Focus is more sensitive. 88 vs 85.5 (from Hi Fi news).

I recently updated my power amp - Sanders Magtech which can dish out 900w/c into 4 ohm (both channel driven). It has change the characteristics of my 3.4 LE, slightly deeper, more taut lower ends. Opened up mid and highs. Is more rhythmical, not longer what you would call laid back. That's with my lowly Emo XSP-1 pre. I had it connected to a Sanders pre - all I can say wow! Someone (it was a panel of us) commented, with the Sanders pre "the veil has lifted". The soundstage is wide and deep, little nuances I can pick up is just wonderful.

So now I am looking for a new pre. Any suggestions are welcome, must have features - XLR/HT bypass (the Sanders pre unfortunately don't have HT bypass).
Garman likes this.
post #27998 of 28018 Old 01-28-2016, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So now I am looking for a new pre. Any suggestions are welcome, must have features - XLR/HT bypass (the Sanders pre unfortunately don't have HT bypass).[/QUOTE]

Hi,

With 1.4LE i use a moon 350p. xlr, dac an phono options, and ht bypass.
Sirmorebeer likes this.
post #27999 of 28018 Old 01-28-2016, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Thanks andrex, happy with the combo? Moon pre with the 1.4LE?
post #28000 of 28018 Old 01-28-2016, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Still not have a chance to listen to LE models of Contour lines, but I really like the old Contour sound. It gives the impression of laid-back (a bit) due to the strong bass & mid-bass presentation, which results in a wide & deep soundstage and makes things taller/bigger (one dealer once told me that Dyn speakers seem to make things sound "smaller" than other brands. Well, I partly got what he was talking about).

Although the Focus sound is really good and more exciting, the Contour sound is more immersive to me.
post #28001 of 28018 Old 01-29-2016, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a question about the dynaudio xeo 4 and 6. I was thinking about buying the xeo 4 for my living room, but I'm afraid that my living room is maybe too big for the xeo 4 and that it would be better too buy the xeo 6. The surface is more or less 30m2 and the height is 2m42. I have a little kitchen as a side-room without doors next to the living room. Another option is too buy a subwoofer with the xeo 4....

What do you think?

thanks
Jochen
post #28002 of 28018 Old 01-29-2016, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
dynaudio xeo 4-6

I have a question about the dynaudio xeo 4 and 6. I was thinking about buying the xeo 4 for my living room, but I'm afraid that my living room is maybe too big for the xeo 4 and that it would be better too buy the xeo 6. The surface is more or less 30m2 and the height is 2m42. I have a little kitchen as a side-room without doors next to the living room. Another option is too buy a subwoofer with the xeo 4....

What do you think?

thanks
Jochen
post #28003 of 28018 Old 01-29-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirmorebeer View Post
Thanks andrex, happy with the combo? Moon pre with the 1.4LE?
Very. Detail and power,still warmth. Good headphone out as a bonus. Drives HD650 and even HD800 effortless.
post #28004 of 28018 Old 01-29-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jochen1 View Post

What do you think?

thanks
Jochen
In my experience, larger speakers fill better larger rooms and give greater scale. In addition, a good subwoofer is expensive and integration with bookshelf speakers is challenging. I would pick Xeo 6.
post #28005 of 28018 Unread 01-30-2016, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Want to meet the face behind Otto J?

(Skip to 1:45)
Garman likes this.

Current HiFi: Dynaudio Focus 260 | Meridian Direct DAC | NAIM SuperNait 2
Cables: Chord Cobra VEE3 RCA>DIN | Tellurium Q Black 3M

Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 (70wpc version)
Portable: IM70 IEMs by Audio-Technica

post #28006 of 28018 Unread 01-31-2016, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
Want to meet the face behind Otto J?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-CVMl9AVyE

(Skip to 1:45)
Thanks for that gt,it's nice to put a face to Otto.I mentioned to you before that i am waiting to buy my next pair of speakers for 2 channel,possibly a special 40,i have already had the focus 160 in that set up,also the excite 12 and the c1 mk11.Well yesterday i wen't to my dealer for a quick visit and i asked him if he had got the focal sopra's in yet...he said yes,they are so good that he took them home.Now, he has the dyn c1 platinum as his home speaker,the problem is,he was really busy yesterday,so i couldn't really talk to him much.I will be going back in to see him this week and it will be interesting to find out his comparisons,he did tell me he has the black finish and i believe he is running them off the Naim NAP 250 dr.The next thing will be to see if i can pry them out of his hands for my own home demo...i will keep you informed
Oh and it is the Sopra 1 that he has

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , focus xd 600, confidence centre, excite12, neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, 2 Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray
2 channel-naim supernait 2, hi-cap Dr, uniqute 2, chord hugo, teac pd-501 DSd player,paradigm moniter 90-p
post #28007 of 28018 Unread 01-31-2016, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
A sunny Sunday morning here in California, listening to Paul Simon's 1991 Concert in the Park on Focus 160s. Life is pretty good.
Mr. Integration likes this.
post #28008 of 28018 Unread 01-31-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matro5 View Post
A sunny Sunday morning here in California, listening to Paul Simon's 1991 Concert in the Park on Focus 160s. Life is pretty good.
Well its a rainy afternoon in southwest Ontario...just watched the Roger Waters concert(The Wall) through the xd 600's,i must say,they blend perfectly with my 2 jl fathom 112's,it was like being at the concert again.
Matrixman18 likes this.

post #28009 of 28018 Unread 01-31-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
Well its a rainy afternoon in southwest Ontario...just watched the Roger Waters concert(The Wall) through the xd 600's,i must say,they blend perfectly with my 2 jl fathom 112's,it was like being at the concert again.
Which system is more "musical"? Your HT system with the XD600 or your second system with the naim electronics?
Spurrier Sucks likes this.
post #28010 of 28018 Unread 02-01-2016, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topk View Post
Which system is more "musical"? Your HT system with the XD600 or your second system with the naim electronics?
The hometheater system would win right now because it is much more dynamic with the xd's and 2 jl sub's...plus 4 surround speakers,also i find myself more immersed in the music,if i can visually see the musicians playing,rather than just hearing the songs.To be fair to the Naim(2 channel) right now i am using Paradigm moniter 90p's until i decide on another pair of speakers.It still sounds really good,and musical...but it is not really a fair fight,things could change with the addition of another high end speaker.

post #28011 of 28018 Unread 02-01-2016, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That moment when my two year old son runs from one Focus 260 tower to another trying to listen from where Adele is singing "Hello". :-)

My investment is reaping good profits. :-)
macddmac likes this.
post #28012 of 28018 Unread Yesterday, 12:14 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Speaking of detail...

I went to a Headfi.com Meet-Up a few months ago and then invited a few of the folks to come over to my place last Saturday. I hosted while they brought their DAC hardware. We were able to compare my Meridian Director DAC with DACs from Audio-GD, Schiit Gungnir Multibit, and Schiit Yggdrasil. As usual, the Focus 260s were able to clearly resolve each one of the DACs, revealing the character of each. Needless to say, the most expensive DAC, the Yggdrasil ($2300), was the one we ALL came away with wanting. It's simply sublime. It has an addictive ability to retrieve detail and nuance, yet maintain such a smooth fluidity. The Gungnir Multibit ($1250) was also impressive. Similar to its more expensive sibling but perhaps a little warmer, sacrificing detail and "blackness" for a slightly more warmer sound perhaps. Schiit knows what it's doing. I prefer their house sound much more to what I heard from say REGA (DAC-R), Chord (Mojo), and even the NAIM nDAC.

The Schiit Yggdrasil + NAIM SN2 + Focus 260 is a sublime pairing!
Hi GT. I'm in the market for a DAC and would really appreciate it if I can have some of your insights. I'm considering buying the Chord Mojo since reviews seems to be raving about it being a bang for the buck DAC. However, I noticed that you are also using one of the DAC I'm deciding on as well. By the way, is
http://www.amazon.com/Meridian-Direc...eridian+direct
the same as your DAC? How would you compare the 2 of them and which one will you buy if you were in my place? I'm using a pair of Xcite x16. I'm currently using just my Marantz SR8001 receiver connected to an Nvidia Shield Android TV. I've heard the Chord Mojo over a Sennheiser headphones and I was really impressed by it. No way for me to test the Meridian in my area. Thank you very much!
post #28013 of 28018 Unread Yesterday, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahvin36 View Post
Hi GT. I'm in the market for a DAC and would really appreciate it if I can have some of your insights. I'm considering buying the Chord Mojo since reviews seems to be raving about it being a bang for the buck DAC. However, I noticed that you are also using one of the DAC I'm deciding on as well. By the way, is
the same as your DAC? How would you compare the 2 of them and which one will you buy if you were in my place? I'm using a pair of Xcite x16. I'm currently using just my Marantz SR8001 receiver connected to an Nvidia Shield Android TV. I've heard the Chord Mojo over a Sennheiser headphones and I was really impressed by it. No way for me to test the Meridian in my area. Thank you very much!
The Meridian Direct is a nice DAC. I had one that I replaced with an Apogee Duet because I was in need of balanced outs. Another options you may want to consider are the Apogee Grove which is very simple but equipped with a ESS Sabre DAC or even better the Oppo HA-2.

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

My Multimedia Room Gallery

post #28014 of 28018 Unread Yesterday, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi. I only compared the Mojo to other Schiit products using my headphones. Source/music/heaphones were all the same comparing the Mojo with Schiit Fulla, Gungnir Multibit, and Yggdrasil. Even comparing the Mojo to the $80 Fulla was night-and-day. I just love Schiit house sound. The Mojo was quite abrasive, jarring, and fatiguing by comparison: tipped-up, over-exaggeration of the symbols, etc. I'd buy the Fulla as a no-brainer.

I compared the Merdian Director with the Schiit GMB and Yggy with my Dynaudio speakers. Both the GMB and the Yggy were significant improvements with the Yggy being more of an end-game product compared to other DACs I've heard. I'd love to have had an nDAC with external PS to test too but that didn't happen. Same with the 2Qute.

Current HiFi: Dynaudio Focus 260 | Meridian Direct DAC | NAIM SuperNait 2
Cables: Chord Cobra VEE3 RCA>DIN | Tellurium Q Black 3M

Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 (70wpc version)
Portable: IM70 IEMs by Audio-Technica

post #28015 of 28018 Unread Today, 03:52 AM

Liked: 10
Thank you for all of your replies! The Schiit GMB is beyond my budget. It seems the Schiit Fulla and Modi 2 would be the same. Would you say the Fulla is better than the meridian?

Also, i noticed that there's as uber version of the modi 2. Im solely gonna use the usb connection so the modi 2 is more convenient for me as it will be powered by the usb port and i wont need to plug in an ac adaptor. But some say that having an ac adaptor gives it a more stable power, thus better sound. Is this true? Also, does the meridian also need to be plug into a power outlet? Thanks.
post #28016 of 28018 Unread Today, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Thank you for all of your replies! The Schiit GMB is beyond my budget. It seems the Schiit Fulla and Modi 2 would be the same. Would you say the Fulla is better than the meridian?

Also, i noticed that there's as uber version of the modi 2. Im solely gonna use the usb connection so the modi 2 is more convenient for me as it will be powered by the usb port and i wont need to plug in an ac adaptor. But some say that having an ac adaptor gives it a more stable power, thus better sound. Is this true? Also, does the meridian also need to be plug into a power outlet? Thanks.
rahvin
no offence to GT meant here,but i would not dismiss the chord mojo based on one persons opinion using headphones only(which headphones?).I personally have lived with the chord hugo
for over a year in my 2 channel set up,and i occasionally use it with headphones(sennheiser momentum's) and i think it is very good.Try one out for yourself...if you can't get a demo,buying one blind would not hurt too much if you decided it is not for you,as i am sure you could sell it quite easily.The Hugo and Mojo are a lot alike,but i have not heard the mojo personally.Every person hears things differently...what is harsh to one person...might be magical to another...JMO

post #28017 of 28018 Unread Today, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

If the GMB is beyond your budget then both the 2Qute and Hugo will be as well. I'd also take a hard look at the Bifrost Muiltibit. The Fulla is a portable HP DAC/amp only.
post #28018 of 28018 Unread Today, 05:24 PM

Quote:
If the GMB is beyond your budget then both the 2Qute and Hugo will be as well. I'd also take a hard look at the Bifrost Muiltibit. The Fulla is a portable HP DAC/amp only.
My post WAS referring to the mojo,which he initially asked about,I mentioned my hugo because they have a lot of the same parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore