Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 937 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2776Likes
post #28081 of 32047 Old 02-21-2016, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Liked: 424

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahvin36 View Post
Hi! Has anyone heard the Rega Elex-R? It seems that WhatHIFI review says that its better than the Nait 5si and its even cost less? Is it a good match to the X16? Thanks!
Rega makes equal as good as equipment as Naim in the sound department, just make sure it has the right type of Juice, Naim has a slight edge in good clean power in the Amp dept. I went with the Rega Brio Int. Amp and it was great at low volumes on my Contour 1.3MKII, but when I went to a Musical Fidelity A3.5 it made the sing and then up to a KW500.. Dynaudio is a little picker than some speakers when matching them with the right equipment. Octave is relatively low wattage but sounds wonderful with the Dynaudios, some Amps sound great with them and some other so, so.... The Rega Elex seems to be a sure winner, and should drive those X16 pretty well, hopefully your dealer will let you try it, but if you buy used you should be able to sell it pretty quickly at the same price you bought it for if you don't like it.

Dynaudio,Magnepan,Musical Fidelity,KEF, etc...... Maybe New Contour's or Raidho next...
Charter Member - E.S.A.C. (Eastern Shore Audio Collective) http://www.esac.club/index.php
Kanso Audio Standse

Last edited by Garman; 02-21-2016 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Editing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28082 of 32047 Old 02-21-2016, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Rega makes equal as good as equipment as Naim in the sound department, just make sure it has enough juice, Naim has a slight edge in good clean power in the Amp dept. I went with the Rega Brio Int. Amp and it was great at low volumes on my Contour 1.3MKII, but when I went to a Musical Fidelity A3.5 it made the sing and then up to a KW500.. Dynaudio is a little picker than some speakers when matching them with the right equipment. Octave is relatively low wattage but sounds wonderful with the Dynaudios, some Amps sound great with them and some other so, so.... The Rega Elex seems to be a sure winner, and should drive those X16 pretty well, hopefully your dealer will let you try it, but if you buy used you should be able to sell it pretty quickly at the same price you bought it for if you don't like it.
Hi Gar - It's been a while. While I agree with you in general I have to add it all depends how loud you like to listen. When I had the C1's I had Octave V40/V70se/V110 in my home. With each step up there was only a hair more control with the music. Very minor. Never had any problems even with high listening levels either. But when I switched to brand X speakers I did find at high listening levels the V110 sort of fell apart. Meaning the highs and mids increased while the lows stayed flat. Remember Rhettard? He had C4's being driven with the V80 and never heard the bass flatten out. So in my opinion Dyn's don't need a whole lot of power to sound great. The Consequence UE is the only exception.

But with that said Dyn's will sound best when the synergy is there. Naim is surprisingly good at being more musical than most for being rated at lower watts.
post #28083 of 32047 Old 02-21-2016, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
Wow. This is easily the most unique Dynaudio speaker I've ever seen for sale on Audiogon...

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/fu...70-rosemead-ca

What a thing of beauty!
Rhett (rded) use to have a pair.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, NaimUniti 2, Naim Stageline N, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic, Marantz SR7007, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD
post #28084 of 32047 Old 02-21-2016, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Rhett (rded) use to have a pair.
Yep he sure did
post #28085 of 32047 Old 02-21-2016, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
Hi Gar - It's been a while. While I agree with you in general I have to add it all depends how loud you like to listen. When I had the C1's I had Octave V40/V70se/V110 in my home. With each step up there was only a hair more control with the music. Very minor. Never had any problems even with high listening levels either. But when I switched to brand X speakers I did find at high listening levels the V110 sort of fell apart. Meaning the highs and mids increased while the lows stayed flat. Remember Rhettard? He had C4's being driven with the V80 and never heard the bass flatten out. So in my opinion Dyn's don't need a whole lot of power to sound great. The Consequence UE is the only exception.

But with that said Dyn's will sound best when the synergy is there. Naim is surprisingly good at being more musical than most for being rated at lower watts.
No disagreement from me on that end, all depends on more equipment matching than more or less power! Hence the emphasis on product matching...... Never new Rhett had a pair of those! Any news on Tylers new place?

Dynaudio,Magnepan,Musical Fidelity,KEF, etc...... Maybe New Contour's or Raidho next...
Charter Member - E.S.A.C. (Eastern Shore Audio Collective) http://www.esac.club/index.php
Kanso Audio Standse

Last edited by Garman; 02-21-2016 at 03:16 PM.
post #28086 of 32047 Old 02-21-2016, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Rega makes equal as good as equipment as Naim in the sound department, just make sure it has the right type of Juice, Naim has a slight edge in good clean power in the Amp dept. I went with the Rega Brio Int. Amp and it was great at low volumes on my Contour 1.3MKII, but when I went to a Musical Fidelity A3.5 it made the sing and then up to a KW500.. Dynaudio is a little picker than some speakers when matching them with the right equipment. Octave is relatively low wattage but sounds wonderful with the Dynaudios, some Amps sound great with them and some other so, so.... The Rega Elex seems to be a sure winner, and should drive those X16 pretty well, hopefully your dealer will let you try it, but if you buy used you should be able to sell it pretty quickly at the same price you bought it for if you don't like it.
Thanks for the reply Garman. The Rega dealer here is better than the other dealers. He's going to lend it to me for a home demo. And its even way cheaper than the other options I had at $1,230. He said that the Elex-R is a lot better than the Brio-R which he comments as being too polite. And he told me that he even like the sound of the Elex-R more than the twice as expensive Elicit-R. I'm going to get a home demo soon and hopefully I will like it!
post #28087 of 32047 Old 02-21-2016, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
By the way, has anyone else here heard the Xeo 2? At $1,600, it is almost the same price as an amp. If it is anywhere what MrIntegration said, sounding something like an XD100, this might be the best value out there.
post #28088 of 32047 Old 02-22-2016, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No disagreement from me on that end, all depends on more equipment matching than more or less power! Hence the emphasis on product matching...... Never new Rhett had a pair of those! Any news on Tylers new place?
Looks like after Axpona last I talked with him. He's going to be at Axpona and I'm not 100% sure what all he will be showing.

As far as Rhett he has either 1.3's or 1.4's now and had C2's in cherry - blue Sapphires the the C4 Sig in mocca.

Last edited by OctaDyn_Dude; 02-22-2016 at 03:56 AM.
post #28089 of 32047 Old 02-22-2016, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
By the way, has anyone else here heard the Xeo 2? At $1,600, it is almost the same price as an amp. If it is anywhere what MrIntegration said, sounding something like an XD100, this might be the best value out there.
I have had the Xeo-2 for 2 weeks now and love them. I cannot believe how great these little speakers sound. Great value!!
Garman and amatuerholic like this.
post #28090 of 32047 Old 02-22-2016, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluvette View Post
I have had the Xeo-2 for 2 weeks now and love them. I cannot believe how great these little speakers sound. Great value!!
Any pictures for us to see? Glad to hear you're enjoying them!

post #28091 of 32047 Old 02-22-2016, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Is anyone using Xeo speakers (including the Xeo-2) for wireless surround speakers in a HT setup?

If so, how well do they work in this application and how do you make sure that you maintain a calibrated signal level with a receiver feeding these speakers via the Dynaudio Hub? Unfortuantely I do not see any mention of using the Xeo speaker as surrounds on the Dynaudio website or in their owners manuals, making me question if Dynaudio does not think that this is a practical application for these models. Otherwise they would have included at least mention of this application and maybe even a drawing of the setup to use these as surrounds as they do for other application.

When using the Excite X34 for L-R and possibly the X18 as center (with no sub), which model of Xeo do you feel would work best in a room that is 15 feet deep in total in a 5.0 installation with a 70db average listening level?
post #28092 of 32047 Old 02-22-2016, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucka View Post
Is anyone using Xeo speakers (including the Xeo-2) for wireless surround speakers in a HT setup?

If so, how well do they work in this application and how do you make sure that you maintain a calibrated signal level with a receiver feeding these speakers via the Dynaudio Hub? Unfortuantely I do not see any mention of using the Xeo speaker as surrounds on the Dynaudio website or in their owners manuals, making me question if Dynaudio does not think that this is a practical application for these models. Otherwise they would have included at least mention of this application and maybe even a drawing of the setup to use these as surrounds as they do for other application.

When using the Excite X34 for L-R and possibly the X18 as center (with no sub), which model of Xeo do you feel would work best in a room that is 15 feet deep in total in a 5.0 installation with a 70db average listening level?
Chucka
I thought about using xeo's for surrounds at one time(the Xeo 2 was not out yet) but decided against it.What I was not sure about is how would my pre amp control the volume?The Xeo 3 have to use the transmitter to control them...including the volume.My dealer said I could set the volume to 100% and calibrate it with the pre amp.I decided against it and bought the excite 12 instead.I think the Xeo 2 is a little different,in that you can run an analog cable to it from the pre amp.Mr Integration uses the Xeo 2 for surrounds I believe.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
post #28093 of 32047 Old 02-22-2016, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
Chucka
I thought about using xeo's for surrounds at one time(the Xeo 2 was not out yet) but decided against it.What I was not sure about is how would my pre amp control the volume?The Xeo 3 have to use the transmitter to control them...including the volume.My dealer said I could set the volume to 100% and calibrate it with the pre amp.I decided against it and bought the excite 12 instead.I think the Xeo 2 is a little different,in that you can run an analog cable to it from the pre amp.Mr Integration uses the Xeo 2 for surrounds I believe.
Thank you for your reply NoQuarter.

The reason I am considering the Xeo is to have the rears wireless as it will be extremely difficult to get speaker wires from the front receive location to the rear speakers in an apartment situation without the wires being visible. I am looking for alternatives...
post #28094 of 32047 Old 02-22-2016, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Quote:
Have you ever heard the XEO 3? If so how do they compare?
post #28095 of 32047 Old 02-22-2016, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Looks like after Axpona last I talked with him. He's going to be at Axpona and I'm not 100% sure what all he will be showing.

As far as Rhett he has either 1.3's or 1.4's now and had C2's in cherry - blue Sapphires the the C4 Sig in mocca.
Speaking of Sapphires here is a pair for sale at a killer price..... If I had 7K laying around I would buy them! Beautiful looking speaker... I see Tyler has a beautiful pair of C1s in Mocca as well.....

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/fu...n-francisco-ca

Is Rhett going to be at at Axpona as well? What is he listening to these days? His room was killer sounding and the Scansonic he had at the time sounded wonderful!

Kanso Audio Standse
post #28096 of 32047 Old 02-22-2016, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I never heard the Xeo- 3 so cannot compare. Here is a pic, the stands are on back order. They are not in their final location I am currently in a remodel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0668.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	1272201
post #28097 of 32047 Old 02-22-2016, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Speaking of Sapphires here is a pair for sale at a killer price..... If I had 7K laying around I would buy them! Beautiful looking speaker... I see Tyler has a beautiful pair of C1s in Mocca as well.....

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/fu...n-francisco-ca

Is Rhett going to be at at Axpona as well? What is he listening to these days? His room was killer sounding and the Scansonic he had at the time sounded wonderful!
I'm sure Rhett will be at Axpona but not sure what day(s). I have a 1 day ticket and am leaning toward Sunday. How many times have you been at Rhetts? I ask because when you were in for Axpona last year Rhett had D2's. He then switched to the X3's because he is a bass head (ah but who isn't - really). Anyhow after the RMAF he heard the XT3's and decided they were a lot closer in sound to the D series. Well the X3's are gone and he is waiting on the XT3's. Tyler loaned him the Dyn 3.4LE's then later the Scansonic 3.5's. To my knowledge the XT3's haven't arrived yet. I have a gut feeling the XT3's will go after he hears the new D3.1's. I'm seriously considering the D2.1 upgrade. Supposed to have an even lower noise floor and not that I care but able to play a lot louder.

That is a killer price on the Sapphires. I wonder if that's my C1 Sig's that were traded back? ? Mocca was a big seller with the Sig's. Besides mine had the black/chrome stands.
post #28098 of 32047 Old 02-22-2016, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I never heard the Xeo- 3 so cannot compare. Here is a pic, the stands are on back order. They are not in their final location I am currently in a remodel.
John stop remodeling everything and come over with some panels. Got some new beer and let's pick on Rhett like any/every other day.
post #28099 of 32047 Old 02-22-2016, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Attachment 1272201
Looks good Bluvette,I am glad you are enjoying the Xeo 2's...now you have a small taste of what my xd 600's sound like

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
post #28100 of 32047 Old 02-22-2016, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:

Attachment 1272201
You sold the C4 and using the 272 as source with the XeO 2. Getting ready for the XT3?:rock:
post #28101 of 32047 Old 02-22-2016, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
John stop remodeling everything and come over with some panels. Got some new beer and let's pick on Rhett like any/every other day.
Will do it soon, lets come up with a plan.

Quote:
Looks good Bluvette,I am glad you are enjoying the Xeo 2's...now you have a small taste of what my xd 600's sound like
Thanks, I am sure the XD600 rock!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post
You sold the C4 and using the 272 as source with the XeO 2. Getting ready for the XT3?:rock:
No still have all the same gear, went with the Xeo-2 for the Living room once I am done with a small remodel job.
post #28102 of 32047 Old 02-22-2016, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

John when did you ever do a small remodel?
post #28103 of 32047 Old 02-22-2016, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm sure Rhett will be at Axpona but not sure what day(s). I have a 1 day ticket and am leaning toward Sunday. How many times have you been at Rhetts? I ask because when you were in for Axpona last year Rhett had D2's. He then switched to the X3's because he is a bass head (ah but who isn't - really). Anyhow after the RMAF he heard the XT3's and decided they were a lot closer in sound to the D series. Well the X3's are gone and he is waiting on the XT3's. Tyler loaned him the Dyn 3.4LE's then later the Scansonic 3.5's. To my knowledge the XT3's haven't arrived yet. I have a gut feeling the XT3's will go after he hears the new D3.1's. I'm seriously considering the D2.1 upgrade. Supposed to have an even lower noise floor and not that I care but able to play a lot louder.

That is a killer price on the Sapphires. I wonder if that's my C1 Sig's that were traded back? ? Mocca was a big seller with the Sig's. Besides mine had the black/chrome stands.
When it comes to trading in or up to what seems to be a better speaker, I have put my limits on it.. I have 3 kids my oldest turning 16 tomorrow, and with being a Ski Coach and all the Ski equipment I have, I put a hold on trading in or up especially on the really high end stuff! I had too, this hobby will make you go broke if your constantly striving for some thing better... When it comes with speakers for me now, I just pick a pair I can live with in my room for a good time, the Original C2 served me well... I was seriously think of Raidho's as well, but for my room the new C2 Platinum just seems to work right. I would have loved to have kept the Scansonic 2.5 upstairs but wife didn't want them, too modern looking for her taste, plus it was either get rid of them or the Magnepan 1.7 and to me they sounded better. Regardless Scansonics and Radio's are great speakers. Now I just work on a good reasonable bookshelf, the Xeo would go good in my office, plus I might buy a pair of the Xeo 3 from Tyler, he has a pair of the Contours SC on hold for me, but I might just use my Contour 1.3s for rears and use the pair of SR for side channels for my HT.

Kanso Audio Standse

Last edited by Garman; 02-22-2016 at 09:28 PM.
post #28104 of 32047 Old 02-22-2016, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
When it comes to trading in or up to what seems to be a better speaker, I have put my limits on it.. I have 3 kids my oldest turning 16 tomorrow, and with being a Ski Coach and all the Ski equipment I have, I put a hold on trading in or up especially on the really high end stuff! I had too, this hobby will make you go broke if your constantly striving for some thing better... When it comes with speakers for me now, I just pick a pair I can live with in my room for a good time, the Original C2 served me well... I was seriously think of Raidho's as well, but for my room the new C2 Platinum just seems to work right. I would have loved to have kept the Scansonic 2.5 upstairs but wife didn't want them, too modern looking for her taste, plus it was either get rid of them or the Magnepan 1.7 and to me they sounded better. Regardless Scansonics and Radio's are great speakers. Now I just work on a good reasonable bookshelf, the Xeo would go good in my office, plus I might buy a pair of the Xeo 3 from Tyler, he has a pair of the Contours SC on hold for me, but I might just use my Contour 1.3s for rears and use the pair of SR for side channels for my HT.
Garman
That sounds like it would be a kick ass hometheater,do you currently have any subwoofers?My hometheater is basically done...quite happy with it,I am not going to bother with those height channels,I think 7.2 is all you really need.The only thing I may look at is some kind of music server and some good hometheater seating,when funds allow it.

post #28105 of 32047 Old 02-22-2016, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Did anyone notice that Dynaudio has a new R&D center? On website.
post #28106 of 32047 Old 02-23-2016, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Garman
That sounds like it would be a kick ass hometheater,do you currently have any subwoofers?My hometheater is basically done...quite happy with it,I am not going to bother with those height channels,I think 7.2 is all you really need.The only thing I may look at is some kind of music server and some good hometheater seating,when funds allow it.
I am with you on being quite happy with 7.2 as my room doesn't warrant the extra speakers etc... I have a Dolby Atmos system in 7.2 so my HT is set for awhile, I do have a Paradigm Servo 15" sub, which puts out plenty of bass when needed!

Kanso Audio Standse
post #28107 of 32047 Old 02-23-2016, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I currently have a pair of Excite X12s powered by an NAD C 356BEE ("Continuous output power into 8 ohms and 4 ohms (Stereo) >80 W"). I am considering a speaker upgrade and I have a max budget of $5,000 (though $3,000 is better).

I generally listen at low volumes, but occasionally crank it. Primary music is 70s Prog Rock and modern electronic dub. I have a subwoofer (Martin Logan 10" Dynamo 500).

I like the X12s quite a bit, so moving to another similar-sounding speaker makes sense. I guess that I could imagine crisper sounds across all ranges, but there's nothing specific that I'm trying to fix. Well, I'd love more bass but only have room for bookshelf-sized speakers.

I am in a very small space. My office is L-shaped and my desk & speakers are in the short arm. The space is 7 feet wide, so the speakers are 51 inches apart, tweeter to tweeter. My ears are like 30 inches from each speaker. I do have some acoustic treatment because of this space. The soundstage/imaging of the current rig is fantastic - a huge plus because I love that and I don't want to lose it.

So... Will I notice a difference with the Focus 160s?
Should I consider the Contour or Confidence? (Are they in my price range? Will I need a new amp?)
Any recommendations for speakers from other companies? (I have to ask)

Last edited by Scottes; 02-23-2016 at 01:02 PM.
post #28108 of 32047 Old 02-23-2016, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottes View Post
I guess that I could imagine crisper sounds across all ranges, but there's nothing specific that I'm trying to fix. ... Will I notice a difference with the Focus 160s? Should I consider the Contour or Confidence? (Are they in my price range? Will I need a new amp?) Any recommendations for speakers from other companies? (I have to ask)
If you're OK with gloss black Focus 160s, I could see if my dealer still has his demo pair (PM me for details). You could just barely afford a pair of used C1s online, and definitely used Contour bookshelves, but I don't have any personal listening experience there, so I can't advise. Many reviews said that the 160s are really close to the C1s.

Another brand to check out would be Ascend and their Sierra 2s; I'm pretty sold on the ribbon tweeters since I'm enjoying my Scansonic MB 2.5s right now. I know it's from a different brand, but I just wanted to indicate that properly executed ribbon tweeters can sound great.

Good luck with your search!

post #28109 of 32047 Old 02-23-2016, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottes View Post
I currently have a pair of Excite X12s powered by an NAD C 356BEE ("Continuous output power into 8 ohms and 4 ohms (Stereo) >80 W"). I am considering a speaker upgrade and I have a max budget of $5,000 (though $3,000 is better).

I generally listen at low volumes, but occasionally crank it. Primary music is 70s Prog Rock and modern electronic dub. I have a subwoofer (Martin Logan 10" Dynamo 500).

I like the X12s quite a bit, so moving to another similar-sounding speaker makes sense. I guess that I could imagine crisper sounds across all ranges, but there's nothing specific that I'm trying to fix. Well, I'd love more bass but only have room for bookshelf-sized speakers.

I am in a very small space. My office is L-shaped and my desk & speakers are in the short arm. The space is 7 feet wide, so the speakers are 51 inches apart, tweeter to tweeter. My ears are like 30 inches from each speaker. I do have some acoustic treatment because of this space. The soundstage/imaging of the current rig is fantastic - a huge plus because I love that and I don't want to lose it.

So... Will I notice a difference with the Focus 160s?
Should I consider the Contour or Confidence? (Are they in my price range? Will I need a new amp?)
Any recommendations for speakers from other companies? (I have to ask)
Scottes
I once owned the excite 12,the focus 160 and the c1mk11 all at the same time.There is definitely a jump in all around performance from the excite 12 to the focus 160...and again to the c1,but with each jump you really should have better amplification/source or you are kind of wasting your time.Especially in that tiny space you are in,and I never sat 30 inches away from any of those speakers.You need to ask yourself what your end goal is because you are very limited in a small area...you may end up throwing money at new speakers with no real improvement.You might consider a pair of xeo 2's...they were made to be wall mounted,which might increase your listening distance.All the speakers you mention work better a couple of feet from any wall.You might benefit more from a better integrated amp,and stick with the excites.

post #28110 of 32047 Old 02-23-2016, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
You could just barely afford a pair of used C1s online, and definitely used Contour bookshelves...
Thanks. I'm researching the Contours.

Quote:
Scottes
I once owned the excite 12,the focus 160 and the c1mk11 all at the same time.There is definitely a jump in all around performance from the excite 12 to the focus 160...and again to the c1,but with each jump you really should have better amplification/source or you are kind of wasting your time.Especially in that tiny space you are in,and I never sat 30 inches away from any of those speakers.You need to ask yourself what your end goal is because you are very limited in a small area...you may end up throwing money at new speakers with no real improvement.You might consider a pair of xeo 2's...they were made to be wall mounted,which might increase your listening distance.All the speakers you mention work better a couple of feet from any wall.You might benefit more from a better integrated amp,and stick with the excites.
Well the Focus and a new amp fit within the upper end of the budget...

My end goal is better sound. Crisper/cleaner. I am worried about a lack of difference so I can't buy blindly. I need to find a local place so I can demo their pair at home, or at least easily return them if purchased.

As for your comments about the amp... I have to admit that I know almost nothing about amps and the sound differences. The NAD sounds good to me - without comparison - and doesn't appear to be a slouch at 80 Watts and $800. But I said that I know almost nothing about amps. Would simply upgrading the amp noticeably improve things? What's a better match for the Focus 160s?

Lastly, I have to admit that I need to look into acoustic treatment some more. I think my bass traps need an improvement. And quite possibly the rest. It's a bit tough to put up a panel temporarily in numerous place to see if there's an improvement. And it's always possible that diffusers could help. But fine-tuning all of that is a magic that I barely understand and can't objectively measure.
amatuerholic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore