AVS Forum banner
6M views 58K replies 1K participants last post by  jcmaharry 
#1 ·
Dynaudio doesnt get much attention here, but it is very exclusive and as such not readily available in all states. As the exclusive Dynaudio dealer in San Diego, we represent their speakers as the state of the art. If you want to leave nothing to chance and simply want the most accurate performance Dynaudio is the ticket. In an industry where you can easily overpay for underpeforming equipment, Dynaudio has always been about no compromise speaker design regardless of price. After listening to the Contours in our showroom, I immediately knew that my next speakers would be the Contour S5.4....still saving.

I would love you to hear from all you Dynaudio owners out there, and what kind of gear that you pair up with it.

#30,221 ·
My local dealer has the Ryan speakers and he was showing the $2k book shelf speakers, they sounded good. Very neutral and balanced. Later I heard the $16k Ryan Towers, and I was less impressed. Good but IMO not $16k good.

Callas: I think the $16k would be there Primus III model. Glad you liked the book shelf model. Do listen to 630s if you get a chance. They would impress you for sure. :)

#30,222 ·
You can also build your own bass traps and other treatments for relatively little money. I fitted out my room with built-in DIY treatments including tuned panel traps, broadband bass corner traps, a mix of diffusion and absorption for reflections, and an acoustic door. I did it all myself because I wanted it to look built into the room for aesthetic reasons. But it was also fairly cost effective. I found an online insulation supplier who sold rock wool and fiberglass insulation boards in bulk for cheap money, the acoustically transparent cloth cost me a few hundred, and the rest was sourced from the local home improvement store.

Reactions: ambesolman
#30,223 ·
My objective is to have the mid-bass of the 1.4s well-controlled (range: 120-160Hz -ish). This issue was also mentioned in many reviews, that 1.4 produces a lot of mid-bass, and in my small room the mid-bass resonance is quite bad. But the moment the 1.4s get to a big room, the problem's gone right away. Now I have side wall absorption but no bass traps, partly because bass traps are quite expensive and take up space. However if I keep the 1.4s... then bass traps should be used anyway.

So you place them on the longer side of wall... I assume you have tried them both ways, could you tell me more about the change in bass & mid-bass of the 1.4s when being put on the long wall vs. short wall? And is your room size close to mine?

Thanks!
Roland
I use viscoustics panels in my rooms,expensive but pleasing to the eye and effective.Is there any chance it could be an amp mismatch/synergy thing...what electronics are you using?I have never heard the 1.4 myself,so i am not real familiar with their character,other than what i read,sounds like bass traps might help though.The problem is,it is hard to demo room treatments,the only one i ever had a demo with was the vari-bass,from viscoustics,i didn't care for the looks,so i went a different route. https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...nator/&usg=AFQjCNHzBuhFidQvxRdX02L9nMX2MOn5MA

#30,224 ·
Here is shot of the wall panels and the bass trap base trap behind my sub. And the panels I added to the stairwell to control echo in the room. I think it was $350 for everything.

#30,225 ·
#30,226 ·
Callas: Looks good, these are the ones I will be ordering below once I redo the paint job and carpet in my HT room....

http://www.acoustimac.com/acousticart/ready-made
Those are nice. We talked about artwork panels, but we made it work by using color coordinated panels at prices far less then that. My wife wanted Disney photos (self take due to copyright laws of course) but they got expensive really quickly.

#30,228 ·
Cool CD,I would be interested in your impressions of the Bryston...not trying to piss anyone off,but aren't Bryston kind of "mid-fi".My dealer had that amp you are getting,someone traded it in on a Gamut integrated,he referred to the Bryston as a "commodity" to him, and he wasn't even going to un box it...whatever that means:confused:

#30,229 · (Edited)
no quarter: mid-fi? lol Come on man! That's like not calling you Canadian! :D Bryston is considered one of the top tier audio companies in Canada and North America, I like the sound of them a lot better than Sim on Dynaudio and Magnepans for sure. I mean they have a Mono-Block 28B that are 1000wpc and turn around 9-10K for a mono-block, I guess you can call that Mid-Fi if your s h i t i n g money! ;) I have had Gamut, great gear but I would call that a side-ways trade depending on what he had and was trading it in on.... lol Plus talk about standing behind their product, 20 year warranty comes to mind! The 28B X 2 sounded completely draw dropping on a pair of Dynaudio Sapphires when I heard them..

#30,230 ·
no quarter: mid-fi? lol Come on man! That's like not calling you Canadian! :D Bryston is considered one of the top tier audio companies in Canada and North America, I like the sound of them a lot better than Sim on Dynaudio and Magnepans for sure. I mean they have a Mono-Block 28B that are 1000wpc and turn around 9-10K for a mono-block, I guess you can call that Mid-Fi if your s h i t i n g money! ;) I have had Gamut, great gear but I would call that a side-ways trade depending on what he had and was trading it in on.... lol Plus talk about standing behind their product, 20 year warranty comes to mind! The 28B X 2 sounded completely draw dropping on a pair of Dynaudio Sapphires when I heard them..
That is why I said I don't want to piss anyone off Garman,I have/use an Anthem amp that might also be considered "mid-fi",but it works and sounds great to my ears...you know,hi-fi would be Solution,Burmester,Passs labs etc.And I know CD has demo'd quite a few amp's...so he can give a well informed opinion;)

#30,231 ·
Good morning (GMT+8) guys! [emoji1303]

Looks like there are lots of Confidence and Contour users around here. Any Excite users? Or those who have experiences with the Excite series please help me out.

I just got myself an X38 and now I'm deciding which DAC should I pair it with. Priority will be musicality with good bass control.

Currently looking at M2Tech Young DSD and Mytek Brooklyn. Leaning more towards Brooklyn though.

Opinions and advice will be very much appreciated. [emoji4]

#30,232 ·
@Otto & et al.

I've mentioned many times that I'm a fan of Patrick Watson. This is a lovely solo act of his. Go find your favorite listening room and enjoy...

#30,233 ·

Looks like there are lots of Confidence and Contour users around here. Any Excite users? Or those who have experiences with the Excite series please help me out.

I just got myself an X38 and now I'm deciding which DAC should I pair it with. Priority will be musicality with good bass control.

Currently looking at M2Tech Young DSD and Mytek Brooklyn. Leaning more towards Brooklyn though.

Welcome. Greetings to Mother Russia!

What else do you have in your chain? What amplification, etc.?

#30,234 ·
Cool CD,I would be interested in your impressions of the Bryston...not trying to piss anyone off,but aren't Bryston kind of "mid-fi".My dealer had that amp you are getting,someone traded it in on a Gamut integrated,he referred to the Bryston as a "commodity" to him, and he wasn't even going to un box it...whatever that means:confused:
Tony as a ex Bryston owner the answer is NO. The main reason for trading the my B100sst was the low level ground loop hum. It wasn't until I had an in home demo of the Octave V70se that I found the Bryston a 'tad' dry sounding. From what I've read they fixed both problems I had with the cubed version. It's not the cheapest equipment nor is it very expensive. Like Gar said a 20 year warranty for peace of mind (unless you upgrade).

Someone traded the just released cubed series already? :eek: That would be like trading the new Contours a week after getting the first ones shipped.

#30,235 ·

Welcome - Do you currently have a Dac? If so are you looking for a warmer or more detailed sound? Like GT had asked what else do you have. Hard to recommend anything without knowing that too. Also what's you budget?

#30,236 ·
Tony as a ex Bryston owner the answer is NO. The main reason for trading the my B100sst was the low level ground loop hum. It wasn't until I had an in home demo of the Octave V70se that I found the Bryston a 'tad' dry sounding. From what I've read they fixed both problems I had with the cubed version. It's not the cheapest equipment nor is it very expensive. Like Gar said a 20 year warranty for peace of mind (unless you upgrade).

Someone traded the just released cubed series already? :eek: That would be like trading the new Contours a week after getting the first ones shipped.
Octa
I realize Bryston is a well made Canadian company with a good reputation,I have not heard them personally...thus my question to CD,I guess I should of worded it differently...I did not mean to ruffle any feathers here.My dealer described the guy as a"gear flipper" and yes,he and I both thought something was fishy about wanting to trade in a brand new product.This was the same guy that used to own those Sopra's I heard last week,again,he wanted to move them after being only a few months old.Anyway,the Gamut amp was worth about 14k...I am not sure the model,but my dealer used it with his c1 platinum's at home.

#30,237 ·
Callas: Looks good, these are the ones I will be ordering below once I redo the paint job and carpet in my HT room....

http://www.acoustimac.com/acousticart/ready-made
We looked at those custom to prints but they added up so fast. We were gonna do our own Disney photos that we had, but the cost was too much. So that's when we decided on doing the color scheme we ended up with.

#30,238 ·
We looked at those custom to prints but they added up so fast. We were gonna do our own Disney photos that we had, but the cost was too much. So that's when we decided on doing the color scheme we ended up with.
I looked at them too and used the pricing tool to see what they would cost to have made from images in my vast archive of work from my days as a photographer. Ouch. I am going to see what it might cost for me to make some frames, fill with Roxul Safe & Sound and cover with one of my photos printed on canvas.

#30,239 ·
I looked at them too and used the pricing tool to see what they would cost to have made from images in my vast archive of work from my days as a photographer. Ouch. I am going to see what it might cost for me to make some frames, fill with Roxul Safe & Sound and cover with one of my photos printed on canvas.
The best part is my wife hated them and kept saying how everyone coming to ours oust warming party was gonna laugh and ask wtf those are.... Everyone walked in and was like omg those are so cool where did you guys get that idea? Bahahahaha!!! I won! I remember the first 2 times it happened when people walked it the look she gave me was like... I really can't stand you being right! She walked up to me later and was like...yea they do look nice don't they!

#30,240 ·
@callas01, @Garman, @KenM10759
Y'all should really check out spoonflower. A ton of folks here have used them with excellent results. Upload any image you want (usually) and they'll print it on fabric. I think @nickbuol did some testing of the acoustic transparency properties of several fabrics. Silky faille and Performance knit are the best to use for panels. Nick will even do some simple photoshop work for folks for free, though he'll charge a small sum for more advanced work. Here's the thread about it. Highly recommended!

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ed-movie-poster-acoustic-panels-cheap-81.html

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]