Forum Jump: 
 85Likes

Old 04-02-2007, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The Arcams do cost more, they are a very nice receiver, though.

I would put more priority into the amplification whether it be a receiver or separates. Don't go for a receiver with ALL the bells and whistles. You simply will not use any of that stuff. This is why I like the Marantz over Denon. Denon markets itself to the latest and greatest, where Marantz puts the priority in the amplification as well as the bells and whistles it does have, it does it right.

Quote:

Do you guys have the Focus line available for audition? I am interested in hearing some 140's.

The hidden GEM in the Focus line. A great speaker! Do audition if you get the chance. Any Dynaudio dealer should have the entire Focus series in stock for audition. If you don't you are losing out as this is the series selling like hotcakes......wonderful looking and sounding with a relatively small footprint.

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowntony View Post

The hidden GEM in the Focus line. A great speaker! Do audition if you get the chance. Any Dynaudio dealer should have the entire Focus series in stock for audition. If you don't you are losing out as this is the series selling like hotcakes......wonderful looking and sounding with a relatively small footprint.

I hope that is the case. I currently own Contour 1.3 MKII's and would liek to directly compare the Focus 140 as the 1.3 is getting rather old (but still sounds fantastic). I just think the Focus is more economical as I need 3 pairs of these things....
Old 04-02-2007, 09:36 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynfan View Post

Do you guys have the Focus line available for audition? I am interested in hearing some 140's.

Wes--You bet..just let me know a convenient day and time and I will make the arrangements.

Looking forward to our demo.

Regards,

Tyler Mueller

Next Level Audio and Video
www.nextlevelav.com
tyler@nextlevelav.com
Old 04-02-2007, 12:53 PM

thx for the help ttowntony. I understand the Arcams are a great receiver for SQ, does it lack a bit HT wise? im not sure i can do the whole 2500 dollar receiver thing, it doesnt leave me with much right now. i think what i want to do is spend the least amount possible for a receiver that will do these speakers justice for maybe a year. something that will allow me to pick up the fronts and center for now and then later on i will add an amp to the receiver or just upgrade the whole thing ot seperates. Would the Marantz 8001 be the min receiver you suggest? how about the Marantz 7001 or the Denons like the 3806? thx again.

Quote:

The Arcams do cost more, they are a very nice receiver, though.

I would put more priority into the amplification whether it be a receiver or separates. Don't go for a receiver with ALL the bells and whistles. You simply will not use any of that stuff. This is why I like the Marantz over Denon. Denon markets itself to the latest and greatest, where Marantz puts the priority in the amplification as well as the bells and whistles it does have, it does it right.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would the Marantz 8001 be the min receiver you suggest? how about the Marantz 7001 or the Denons like the 3806? thx again.

The Marantz 8001 or the Yamaha 2700 has my vote over the Marantz 7001.

I like the Arcams, but I don't personally sell them, so to be perfectly honest I don't think I'm the best person to ask. It certainly is a nice HT receiver with excellent 2 channel sound quality, though. I've just never ran one of their models with the Dynaudio's.

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
Old 04-02-2007, 03:23 PM

I appreciate this thread when alternative amps are mentioned such as the Marantz 8001.

In looking at the Dynaudio USA pricelist, two models are listed, the DM 2/8 and DM 2/10, available in rosewood only. What do these look like? I couldn not find any pictures or reviews.

I did find a picture of the Audience 42 SAT. It has a keystone look to it. I was thinking about the Audience line, but with an update coming, I would like to see the changes first.

Anyways, thanks for the information and please keep it coming.

BTW, does the Bensenville Dynaudio Headquarters have a showroom open to the public? On edit: No. I asked about a new Audience line, they said maybe next year. They were very nice and said an audition could be set up at a dealer in Barrington, though mostly an automotive dealer.

kude
Old 04-02-2007, 07:33 PM

Tyler, I might take you up on that -- we have family in Milwaukee and I like your list of brands. If it looks like my work schedule would permit a visit, I'll call your shop in the next week or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmueller View Post

Izimbra--Sorry to hear about your dealer "woes" down south. I will personally attest to the performance of the AVR-350 as being incredibly musical. In fact, the AVR in direct mode will best most manufacturer's separates under $5k that I have heard. We are so pleased with this receiver and the value it offers that we have decided to pair it (at times) with Special 25s for demos in a lifestyle showroom. Sure, there certainly are better products out there but they come at vastly different price points if your main interest is sound quality and not the latest feature set.

((If you are ever in the MKE area we would be happy to demonstrate some of these items and we promise to "check" our arrogance at the door ))

Old 04-03-2007, 03:44 PM

FYI--Just to add a bit more insight and opinion in regards to receivers: we are fortunate to be dealers for all of the above mentioned brands (Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, and Arcam). I would highly recommend the Arcam due to the focus in sound quality and build quality as mentioned above. The Arcam is not for everyone however; for one, it is not inexpensive by any means. Secondly it does not have some features that some users may find useful. Meaning, many models of the above referenced receivers do contain hdmi 1.2 or 1.3 features, self/auto eq, and more sophisticated video processing. While these are nice features in say a Lexicon MC12-HD EQ they become somewhat of eye candy in terms of marketing for "lower priced" receivers because manufacturers tend to make sonic sacrifices to move products with marketable features. IMHO, of the receivers we sell I have heard nothing that touches the Arcam in terms of value and sonic performance.

(Also, I would take the Marantz over the Denon)

I hope this helps!

Tyler Mueller

www.nextlevelav.com
tyler@nextlevelav.com
Old 04-03-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izimbra View Post

Tyler, I might take you up on that -- we have family in Milwaukee and I like your list of brands. If it looks like my work schedule would permit a visit, I'll call your shop in the next week or two.

We would be honored to accommodate your visit. Just let me know a few days ahead of time so we can make sure we have all the right pieces setup and broken-in

On another note: We are going to be doing a fun demo with forum member Wes this Friday: he is going to be listening to quite a few Dyns: 140s, 1.4s, Special 25s and C1s as he is looking to upgrade from his 1.3s

We'll keep you guys posted following the demo.!!

Tyler Mueller

www.nextlevelav.com
tyler@nextlevelav.com
Old 04-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

We would be honored to accommodate your visit. Just let me know a few days ahead of time so we can make sure we have all the right pieces setup and broken-in

On another note: We are going to be doing a fun demo with forum member Wes this Friday: he is going to be listening to quite a few Dyns: 140s, 1.4s, Special 25s and C1s as he is looking to upgrade from his 1.3s

We'll keep you guys posted following the demo.!!

Indeed we will!
Old 04-04-2007, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I have heard nothing touches the Arcam in terms of value and sonic performance

I finally got to see an Arcam 350 at my local shop, what a beautiful piece of equipment, it has hefty (torroid) power-supply design, etc.,..sound was very nice (playing through new B&W CM7's).

But have you actually (seriously) compared the new Yamaha (RX-V2700), in sound-quality, to the Arcam? They have pretty good sounding pre-amp section as well (for an AVR) if you ask me.

The guys connected the Yamaha to the same set of B&W CM7 speakers and it sounded just as good I thought (using same CD osurce). While each unit may yield a different sound "characteristic" I thought both displayed good power, and dynamics, and clean (musical) sound.

Although, could'nt say how the Yamaha would compare to the Arcam driving difficult speaker loads.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynfan View Post

Indeed we will!

One thing to keep in mind when you are listening, the Special 25 is not a typical Dynaudio speaker. It is voiced differently than the others. Some say its slightly "brighter". Keep this in mind when listening.

On a different note, the C1 is IMO the best bookshelf speaker on the planet. Enjoy your demo!
Old 04-04-2007, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

One thing to keep in mind when you are listening, the Special 25 is not a typical Dynaudio speaker. It is voiced differently than the others. Some say its slightly "brighter". Keep this in mind when listening.

On a different note, the C1 is IMO the best bookshelf speaker on the planet. Enjoy your demo!

Noted and already considered. I have read this and also noticed this when I had heard them when they first came out. Granted at the time I was not doing a serious demo.

I am sure the C1's will be light years ahead. I already know for certain that I will not be buying the C1's based on price alone, but it is indeed good to always have a reference and/or a goal to strive for.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

We are one of the oldest Dyn dealers in FL., but the largest displaying.... We have everything from Audience to Confidence C4's, and I love the line... its been our best lines thus far it's what i personally own and i pair it up with Simaudio a line i also love alot! So i just wanted to introduce myself, and any questions please ask!! P.S. my pride and joy is a pair of Dyn C1's special editions by Dynaudio in Bird's Eye Maple...

Middle Tennessee & S.W. Florida
www.premieracousticlifestyles.com
see it. hear it. feel it.
Brad Bossman
Old 04-04-2007, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Kude,
The DM series is a brand new series with the intention of it being a high value high out output book shelf series. There are currently two available, one with an 8 inch driver and the other with a 10 inch driver, the first being capable of 36-38Hz and the second is capable of 30-32Hz. These will only be available in Rosewood vinyl for sake of keeping the overall cost as low as possible. When compared with the Audience 52(similar pricepoint) the DM products are not as detailed and musical as the Audience series but will play louder an lower. A new Audience series won't be available until CES 08' but the Audience 42 SAT is going to be part of that new series and is available now, it is a phenomenal on wall speaker and looks good to boot! No there is no showroom in bensenville it is just warehouse and offices but there are a number of really good dealers in the area and also in the Milwaukee area.

Remember, it is all about the music not the sound!
Mick Tillman
Dynaudio N/A-distributors of Dynaudio, Octave, Theory and Application.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:08 PM

Hey ttown, thanks for all your input. i havent been able to hear the yamaha on a good set of speakers so i dunno how well they sound but i know the marantz sounded pretty well on a set of vienna acoustic baby grands and bachs. it had more than enough power to drive those speakers. just wanted an opinion from you on what you think the differences were between the two because i am able to get the yamaha for about 400 less. thats a significant amount, they can go to my rears if possible. please advise, thank you.

Quote:

The Marantz 8001 or the Yamaha 2700 has my vote over the Marantz 7001.

I like the Arcams, but I don't personally sell them, so to be perfectly honest I don't think I'm the best person to ask. It certainly is a nice HT receiver with excellent 2 channel sound quality, though. I've just never ran one of their models with the Dynaudio's.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:52 PM

I have been set on the 804s and HTM3s center from B&W but many have pointed me to Dynaudio contours.

What would be the comporable product from Dynaudio that matches the 804s from B&W.

I will use the speakers mainly for movies, TV, and games (PS 3)
Old 04-05-2007, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxhughes View Post

I have been set on the 804s and HTM3s center from B&W but many have pointed me to Dynaudio contours.

What would be the comporable product from Dynaudio that matches the 804s from B&W.

I will use the speakers mainly for movies, TV, and games (PS 3)

AudioArchitect or Ttowntony can tell you which would be a comparable to B&W.

Dynaudio has a much differn't sound then B&W, the Dynaudio is a very much laid back sound, where the B&W to me was a more in your face sound.

Do yourself a favor and go listen to the Dynaudio and see if they are for you.

Michael
Old 04-05-2007, 09:43 PM

I am in a situation where there are no dealers around me so I am having to depend on you guys.

I do not like loud sound as much as I like clear, smooth vocals that I can hear every nuance, every word clearly. Where every sound is well-defined. Much more important to me than loud.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:

I am in a situation where there are no dealers around me so I am having to depend on you guys.

I do not like loud sound as much as I like clear, smooth vocals that I can hear every nuance, every word clearly. Where every sound is well-defined. Much more important to me than loud.

I won't endorse one speaker over another because you can't hear them. I auditioned the B&W and others and I just love the Dynaudio sound.

If you are buying mostly for movies I might suggest the Focus series. By the way these are incredible for music as well. Mine should be here next week and the anticipation is killing me. Also note that the Contours are quite awesome as well. I find the cabinets and the look to be stunning. These are more in the price range of the 800 series B&W.

In the end I picked the full Focus range and new electronics but I am looking at other options for the Sub.

Here is a brief review if interested.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...07-part-1.html

Rick
Old 04-05-2007, 10:14 PM

which contour. IS the C1 or C2 comporable to the B&W 804s
Old 04-05-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:

The Contour S3.4 is more than the 804S by $1500 but the Center is cheaper than the B&W by about a $1000 or so so it equals out.

The C1 and C2 are from the Confidence Range. The C1 is a monitor and with stand is about $7200 and the C2 is $12000 I believe and I do not feel they are in the same league as the 804 series. For movies only and PS3 I don't think these are necessary.

Don't let the Focus cost fool you. These are incredible. The Contours have a much more elegant cabinent IMO.

You really need to see and audition to make up your mind. If you can't audition I hate to say it but I would stick to something I could.

Rick
Old 04-05-2007, 11:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

NO the C1 is a mini monitor and very high end. It is one of my favorite speakers for a smallish room. The C2 is much larger. IMO both of those speakers will blow the 804 away, not even close but they are more expensive.

Have you listened to the 804s? My kid owns a small older B&W and I listened to a few of the higher end B&Ws a few years ago when I was in the market for my speakers. The dealer that had the B&W line also carried Totem. I didn't like the B&Ws. I found the Totems to be much more musical and relaxing. The B&W put me on edge. BTW the Totems are similar to the Dynaudios, in fact many are built with Dynaudio drivers.

I think it would be best to listen to both, they are very different sounding speakers. For me the Contours won hands down.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenrosencpa View Post

BTW the Totems are similar to the Dynaudios, in fact many are built with Dynaudio drivers.

Im going to take a shot at this one. The Totem Mani-1 and Mani-2 use Dynaudio mid-woofers. The Forest floorstander 100% uses a Chinese-made Dynaudio knock-off driver made by Hi-Vi in China.

Im not sure about the Shaman and Wind. Someone else want to enlighten us on these ones?

If in question, only go for authentic Dynaudio speakers.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If in question, only go for authentic Dynaudio speakers.

But, often, the Totems sound better, IMO (I've sold both).
Let your ears decide.

I think it would be generally more useful if everyone new to these forums is reminded that they are constantly being marketed to and pitched by people who post their affiliations and many others who do not. This is all part of marketing and advertising and you, the consumer, are the targets.
Noth...
Old 04-06-2007, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The C1 seems to have a special place in Dyns lineup. Of all the Dyn speakers I have heard, I have yet to hear this one. What makes it so special? Great soundstage because its a monitor?

One side note,to those who sell both Dyn and Thiel which one "in general" has the wider soundstage? Just looking for opinions......no right or wrong.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think this is the wrong way to do things...... Our ears are NOT your ears. As such I would personally buy a used set from audiogon and if they didn't suit my tastes, I would re-sell them. You may take a small loss, but that is a small price to pay for not having to deal with the depreciation of new gear if you "try it out"......

FWIW I much prefer the Dyn's to the B & W and before I bought the Dyn.'s I was going to buy the Bowers and Wilkins.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

AudioArchitect,
The only Totem speaker currently using Dynaudio is the Mani 2, all others use a copy. The copy drivers are either Hi Vi or another manufacturer and cosmetically are so similar to Dynaudio drivers that the only way for someone to truly know without having the background info is to pull the driver out and look at the back. If the driver does not have a Dynaudio part number then it is not a Dynaudio product. Totem does make a very nice product and even though they currently use a Dynaudio driver and have used Dynaudio drivers in the past Totem speakers appeal to a different type of listener.

Remember, it is all about the music not the sound!
Mick Tillman
Dynaudio N/A-distributors of Dynaudio, Octave, Theory and Application.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgerman View Post

One side note,to those who sell both Dyn and Thiel which one "in general" has the wider soundstage? Just looking for opinions......no right or wrong.

To me the Thiel had a wider soundstage, when compared to the S5.4.

They are both great speakers, but the S5.4 had something to my wife and me, that the Thiel didn't have.

Michael
Old 04-06-2007, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dax,

I am not sure where you are located, but given the investment you are going to make, I would buy a cheap airline ticket, and go find a dealer that you can listen to them first.

Dynaudio is a sweet sound, but I will say it isn't for everyone. The same goes for B&W.

Michael

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems
User Tag List