Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 880 Old 03-17-2011, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post

What amp are you using to drive your VCC-5?

I'm running seperates with an Anthem MCA 50 for power. It works really well but we could all use somemore power. I plan on getting a new pre/pro and would get the Integra 80.2 if I didn't here so many complaints about the clicking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 880 Old 05-31-2011, 11:16 PM

Liked: 10
How does a new model C2 Sig Vandersteen compare to a Polk SDA a? I am looking for clarity and detail without loosing the bass. I have never heard any Vandersteen myself.

Thanks
post #723 of 880 Old 06-02-2011, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 161
^Hi. I can't figure out exactly what Polk model you are referring to. I believe some of the large Polk SDA speakers are quite good, but I've only owned mid-level Polks (RT800i towers, about $1.1K/pr). The Vanderstein 2CE sigII which I auditioned were twice that price and quite superior in SQ to the Polks in the high end; wonderfully airy ("the speakers disappear"), detailed and good imaging. If you don't mind the appearance and are looking for dedicated 2 ch, primarily for classical/jazz/acoustic you should find a Vandie dealer so you can give them a listen.

Used Dali speakers, like the Helicon 400 are sometimes available in the same $2K price range-they look amazing, have great SQ (very cool tweeter which has both soft dome and ribbon)and are another high value option. They would also integrate better into a combined 2Ch and HT/MC. Same goes for new Salk sound towers, made in MI, which offer great SQ (amazing high end detail/imaging, good bass) and value (about $2K for the soft dome tweeeter basicversion in lovely finishes).

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #724 of 880 Old 06-02-2011, 06:10 PM

Sorry, I forgot the 2. It's a SDA 2A. I am looking to replace the SDA's but don't want to lose the low end. Looks are not important. The SDA's are just not detailed enough for me. One can buy the new Vandersteens for 2500 with the stands. I just have to find a dealer here in Phoenix to audition them.
post #725 of 880 Old 06-03-2011, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, yes, my guess is that any of the above models would be an improvement. The Vandies are worth an audition!

post #726 of 880 Old 06-03-2011, 05:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

OK, yes, my guess is that any of the above models would be an improvement. The Vandies are worth an audition!

^ This.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #727 of 880 Old 06-03-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerduck View Post

Sorry, I forgot the 2. It's a SDA 2A. I am looking to replace the SDA's but don't want to lose the low end. Looks are not important. The SDA's are just not detailed enough for me. One can buy the new Vandersteens for 2500 with the stands. I just have to find a dealer here in Phoenix to audition them.

I see a used pair of 2C's in your area:
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/ele/2403591766.html
Buy them if they look/sound good. The worst you can do is lose $150 if you decide they're not for you and want to resell them. The 2C is a great speaker. Just make sure these have a five-digit serial number (rubber surrounds instead of foam).
post #728 of 880 Old 06-13-2011, 06:46 AM

Just added a pair of Vandy subs to my 3a sigs. They are a mismatched pair atm... One is a 2w one is a 2wq. I will get the older one upgraded in the next few months. But man oh man is this sweet. I have heard 5s and 7s and i think my 3s with the 2w's is all ill ever need. But as they say its never over.

taam
post #729 of 880 Old 06-18-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taam View Post

Just added a pair of Vandy subs to my 3a sigs. They are a mismatched pair atm... One is a 2w one is a 2wq. I will get the older one upgraded in the next few months. But man oh man is this sweet. I have heard 5s and 7s and i think my 3s with the 2w's is all ill ever need. But as they say its never over.

taam

taam
I know what you mean I could not believe the difference the pair of 2Wq's made to my 3A Sig's, it took the base to a whole new level. I was running a single 2Wq but happen to find a pair with sequential serial number that matched the Mahogany Walnut finish of my 3A Sig's. When I dropped the pair in it just seemed to open up the whole sound stage and got rid of a one noted base sound I was even aware was there. I would not ever consider going back to a single sub again. I'm now waiting to find another single Mahogany 2Wq to connect to my surrounds.

On a second note have you been able to pick up a VCC-5 for your system, I remember you were looking for one awhile back?
post #730 of 880 Old 06-19-2011, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
My experience with the 3As was the same. The addition of the subs makes a world of difference.

I recently upgraded to a pair of 5As and it is more of the same. The built in subwoofers completely cover the low end and they allow the woofers to shine in the upper bass area.

Just curious, how far apart are your speakers spread?

David M.
post #731 of 880 Old 06-20-2011, 03:15 AM

Quote:

My experience with the 3As was the same. The addition of the subs makes a world of difference.

I recently upgraded to a pair of 5As and it is more of the same. The built in subwoofers completely cover the low end and they allow the woofers to shine in the upper bass area.

Just curious, how far apart are your speakers spread?

David
Which one's, the 3A's or the 2Wq's? the 3A Sig are 8'3" apart and the sub are on the outside back corner of the 3A's.

Funny thing I lived in Cherry Hill, NJ just before coming up Canada for work, over on Massachusetts Ave. Well moved from there to Moorestown then to Trenton.
post #732 of 880 Old 06-20-2011, 07:21 AM

I meant the 3As.

Did you follow the instructions and calculate the odd dimensions of the room and place the 3As on those lines?

How far away from the speakers is you listening spot?

David M.
post #733 of 880 Old 06-20-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I meant the 3As.

Did you follow the instructions and calculate the odd dimensions of the room and place the 3As on those lines?

How far away from the speakers is you listening spot?
I tried but my room dimensions wouldn't allow it to sound right, I even tried using the Cardas set up instructions with no luck. My room is a funny shaped L type configuration. My rig is set up in an alcove of the L that's 13'5" wide and 5' deep after that it opens up to a 28'3" cavern. The distance for the listening/viewing area is 20'8" deep.

The best thing I found for setting it up was to use the "Master Set". You can read about it here:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...er-Set-Speaker

and here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=65908.0

Or Google Master Set Speaker Placement and you will find a wealth of information.

This was my last resort and trust me you don't want to do it by yourself. You will get tired of that song that they suggest using. I spent one weekend that my wife was away and have loved the results ever since.

I wound up doing the 3A's first then brought the 2Wq's in after wards, I was really surprised with where they ended up. Not sure if that was the correct way to do it but it worked out for me pretty good.

Not saying it will work for you but if your not satisfied with you set up give it a try, at the least you will get a few good songs out of the deal.

By the way I now sit about 8'5" to 9' from the speakers with just a slight toe in.
post #734 of 880 Old 06-20-2011, 05:59 PM

Interesting. My room is rectangular so I was able to follow Vandersteen's guidelines. That doesn't mean it is the perfect configuration but it sounds great. The imaging is right on. Currently I am sitting about 10-11 feet from the speakers.

David M.
post #735 of 880 Old 06-21-2011, 03:15 AM

The biggest problem I had was with the bass, I guess the large opening on the right side of the room just sucked the bass right out of the music.

The house I had in Moorestown had a rectangular living room and everything fell right in to place as if made for the Vandersteen guidelines.

Setting up this room was quite the learning experience.

I have thought about moving my couch back a foot or two just to see what happens but it would interfere with the walkway behind the it. And the WAF would come into play. Good thing she says it's my room.
post #736 of 880 Old 07-23-2011, 05:21 AM

Just got a Mahogany VCC-5 to match the rest of my Vandersteen set up.

Can anyone recommend a few good movies that will flex the muscles of this center channel a lot so that I can test this thing out and get it broke in?

I had a VCC-1 that I only turned on when I had company so never really paid much attention to these things. Have the entire house to myself for the next two weeks so I figured next weekend will be the best time to test this thing out.

Thank You in advance for your reply's and suggestions.
post #737 of 880 Old 07-23-2011, 06:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hmm, good question. Maybe try Tron (the new one), Lord Of The Rings and War Of The Worlds? I don't know how much low frequency energy is getting sent to the center, or what your crossover point is, but I do know that is a wicked nice center. Enjoy it!

post #738 of 880 Old 08-08-2011, 08:55 PM

Don't know if any of you are in the central WI area, but this appears to be a deal on craigslist. $400 for 2C. http://wausau.craigslist.org/ele/2517266418.html
post #739 of 880 Old 08-09-2011, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2fast View Post

Don't know if any of you are in the central WI area, but this appears to be a deal on craigslist. $400 for 2C. http://wausau.craigslist.org/ele/2517266418.html

Yeah, that guy started at $2,000 and is now down to $400. Then the other day someone posted a reply to not waste our time with them because they are beat up and the drivers are shot. They did pique my interest at that price though.
post #740 of 880 Old 08-15-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C17FXR View Post

taam
I know what you mean I could not believe the difference the pair of 2Wq's made to my 3A Sig's, it took the base to a whole new level. I was running a single 2Wq but happen to find a pair with sequential serial number that matched the Mahogany Walnut finish of my 3A Sig's. When I dropped the pair in it just seemed to open up the whole sound stage and got rid of a one noted base sound I was even aware was there. I would not ever consider going back to a single sub again. I'm now waiting to find another single Mahogany 2Wq to connect to my surrounds.

On a second note have you been able to pick up a VCC-5 for your system, I remember you were looking for one awhile back?

No still slowly looking for a VCC-5. I had to spend a week in the hospital a few months back and it really ate into my audio fund. So I am still slowly looking. At the moment I like the 2.2 front end with phantom center. But I am single and are usually the only one watching so I can be in the sweet spot.
post #741 of 880 Old 08-17-2011, 05:51 PM

Any 5A owners out there? What amps are you using to drive them?

David M.
post #742 of 880 Old 08-18-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:

Any 5A owners out there? What amps are you using to drive them?

I run mine with a pair of VTL 450MB's. You will sometimes see at the audio shows Vandersteen teaming up with VTL on the rooms. Both made in California. But I must say they like my Krell FPB 250 monos also but they love the VTL's
post #743 of 880 Old 08-19-2011, 06:06 AM

I have read that some people describe the Krells as bright, or not neutral. What was your experience with the 250 monos, especially paired with the 5As?

David M.
post #744 of 880 Old 08-19-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:

I have read that some people describe the Krells as bright, or not neutral. What was your experience with the 250 monos, especially paired with the 5As?

I didn't find them bright. I was running and all tube CD and Pre with them. That probably had the desired effect.
But I do prefer the VTL tube amps they were just more open and a little smoother but certainly not flat.
post #745 of 880 Old 09-21-2011, 11:38 PM

Since this thread is still kinda limping along after 5 years, here's a kickstart!

The Vandersteen 2CE Signiture II was more then I budgeted, however I got a great deal on them used from audiogon. VERY happy with them. They are everything I wanted in a pair of speakers. Truely nothing I've heard comes close for the price (even new).
post #746 of 880 Old 09-22-2011, 06:17 AM

I love my 3a sigs also purchased used but they easily play above their price point.
post #747 of 880 Old 09-22-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Congrats, fellas; I am happy to hear you're loving you're Vandersteens. They are great speakers!

post #748 of 880 Old 09-22-2011, 04:23 PM

Please forgive me if I am mis-using this thread but I had a question for vandersteen owners and this looked like a possible spot. At this point I have 2CE as mains, the 1's as surrounds and the vcc1 as a center. I have been pondering upgrading and am torn and could really use some good advice. One option would be to upgrade the center channel. This would be costly but I have heard that it is a big step up from the vcc1 to the vcc5. The other option would be to try and buy a pair of 3a sigs. I am left wondering about the improvement from the 2ce's to the 3a sig? Would it be a greater bang for my buck to go with that or the center channel upgrade?

Thanks for any feedback.
post #749 of 880 Old 09-23-2011, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

^Hi. That's as appropriate a question as one can post here. If the main reason you're upgrading is for improved MC (film, SACD, etc) then I'd first go for the CC. vcc1 is not up to the task IME.

BTW, if you have no sub, that's what comes right after the CC. Any decent sub will do, but I am partial to the Velodyne DD series as they are on clearance since DD+ came out and have built-in sophisticated SVS EQ.

post #750 of 880 Old 09-23-2011, 05:52 AM

I had the same setup as you a couple of years ago Taji, and decided to swap my 2Cs for a pair of used 3A Sigs.

My focus was for improved musicality with 2 channel material. The 3A Sigs have more clarity in the mid-range, and just the more natural sound I was looking for. Most of my music listening is 2 channel with sub.

I have to agree with SoundofMind. If your focus is home theater, go for a sub first if you don't have one. The VCC5 would be the next upgrade to consider, even though my VCC1 blends well with the 3As in my family room.

"If your going through hell, keep going." Winston Churchill
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page