Vandersteen, wow! - Page 30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #871 of 880 Old 05-26-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
longbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Bayfield County, Wisconsin
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Middleton View Post


I actually like the looks of the Treos. It measures well, too.smile.gif

After nearly 40 years of Audio fun, I am of the opinion that measurements can obfuscate as much as they can enlighten. What does something sound like? Both the 2CE Sig II's and the Treo's sound great. The Treo's are hands down better at three times the price.

EricN
"You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike"

 

HT: Denon 4311CI, Denon DVD-5900, M&K S-150's LCR & ss-150's SL & SR, SVS PB12+, Oppo-BDP-83, Sony Cineza LCD, Stewart StudioTek 130 92"

2 Ch: MacMini,W4S DAC2 DSDse,VPI Scout 1.1&Dynavector 10X5,Cary SLI-80&Vandersteen 2Ce Signatures II's

longbow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #872 of 880 Old 05-26-2014, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post

Bill,The discussion are speakers which are time, and phase coherent, yet you're just critical of phase coherence in a vacuum, and incorrectly defining time coherence. Or did you forget about that when you abridged my quote to best fit your point. Something you routinely do.
I addressed the issue of time align in my first post. Much is made about the importance of time align and phase align in the link you posted, but in truth most of what's there is pure marketing, in the guise of engineering data, intended to tout the supposed advantages of a specific design. To the layman, very impressive. To the acoustical engineer, not so much. As to the pronouncement Time-coherent speakers are automatically phase-coherent, that's simply not true. If you're not aware of why it's not true then I respectfully suggest that you limit your contributions to subjective opinion. I, OTOH, will continue to limit mine to the explanation of objective fact for the benefit of those who are interested.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is online now  
post #873 of 880 Old 05-26-2014, 06:42 AM
Senior Member
 
ClawAndTalon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post


I addressed the issue of time align in my first post. Much is made about the importance of time align and phase align in the link you posted, but in truth most of what's there is pure marketing, in the guise of engineering data, intended to tout the supposed advantages of a specific design. To the layman, very impressive. To the acoustical engineer, not so much. As to the pronouncement Time-coherent speakers are automatically phase-coherent, that's simply not true. If you're not aware of why it's not true then I respectfully suggest that you limit your contributions to subjective opinion. I, OTOH, will continue to limit mine to the explanation of objective fact for the benefit of those who are interested.

You're are still confusing physical time alignment with time coherence. I've explained this too.

 

Much is made about the importance of time align and phase align in the link you posted, but in truth most of what's there is pure marketing, in the guise of engineering data, intended to tout the supposed advantages of a specific design.

 

And much of what you're saying is wrong and or misleading, I've called it out with a reference which you're now resulting to name calling. 

 

As to the pronouncement Time-coherent speakers are automatically phase-coherent, that's simply not true. If you're not aware of why it's not true then I respectfully suggest that you limit your contributions to subjective opinion. I, OTOH, will continue to limit mine to the explanation of objective fact for the benefit of those who are interested.

 

Time coherence, and physical time alignment aren't the same beast. This article explained that, and instead of detailing where it gets it wrong, you result to name calling of my sited post. I'm sorry if you think you're too sophisticated of an acoustical engineer to see it's merit. So basically what you're saying is if I don't agree with you I need to consider my posts subjective opinion? Wow... Bill, I will continue to state my facts as referenced. You can do what you want, but please stop with the condescending high brow banter.

ClawAndTalon is offline  
post #874 of 880 Old 05-26-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 2,127
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

I have the cloth Quatro's, I personally think they are vandersteen's best looking speaker as they are very slim in design.

The color is walnut.


The only and I mean only reason I am selling is I need a NON time and phase speaker as I have a two row home theater at varying heights and with the Vandersteens design I have to compromise one row or the other.

I'm going to go to more Theater only speakers. As of right now I think I will be going to the JTR 215RT's


Not sure why your experiance with vandersteen haven't been fantastic. But I am super super anal about setup, and Vandersteens really do require a little extra love during setup to sound there best, but when you get them there... Wow. They pump out a serious large and wide sound stage and very realilistic vocals in both female and male signers. The Quatro are amazing full range speakers for medium sized home theaters, and can easily go flat to 20htz on there own. In mid to small home theaters they can even double as subwoofers for the LFE channel if you route the LFE to the mains.
Nice! The new JTR's will blow your socks off!! Are you planning on getting the single 8s also? I have 2X 212HT's mains, a 228 center and 4 Single slanted 8's with 2 PSA Triax subs. Will be going in my new HT next month or so, just an incredible set up for HT. It is cool to see more and more people moving into the JTR speakers.

I am actually interested in your surround set up as I want to replace my living room set up with a nice full range set up when I move the JTR stuff into my new room. Not sure what I am doing yet. I am thinking about the 215's, Salk HT3's or maybe something like Vandersteen. If you still have them for sale in a few months, I may give you a ring.
Reefdvr27 is online now  
post #875 of 880 Old 05-26-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
Posts: 3,899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Nice! The new JTR's will blow your socks off!! Are you planning on getting the single 8s also? I have 2X 212HT's mains, a 228 center and 4 Single slanted 8's with 2 PSA Triax subs. Will be going in my new HT next month or so, just an incredible set up for HT. It is cool to see more and more people moving into the JTR speakers.

I am actually interested in your surround set up as I want to replace my living room set up with a nice full range set up when I move the JTR stuff into my new room. Not sure what I am doing yet. I am thinking about the 215's, Salk HT3's or maybe something like Vandersteen. If you still have them for sale in a few months, I may give you a ring.

I can not afford the slanted 8's at the moment, but would love to. I will have to keep my Vandersteen surrounds until I can afford them.

But Vandersteen's VSM1 design is similar to JTR's surrounds as they are also coaxial. So that's at least an up side. Lol.

I won't get much more then $5000 for my Quatro's and I want to buy three JTR 215's so I need to figure out how to come up with an extra $5000, lol.

Once the Quatro's sell the single 2CE Sig MKII the Vandersteen 1C's and my Kimber Kable Bifocal XL's 10' length will all be up for sale too.
SOWK is offline  
post #876 of 880 Old 05-26-2014, 07:51 AM
Senior Member
 
ClawAndTalon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post


I can not afford the slanted 8's at the moment, but would love to. I will have to keep my Vandersteen surrounds until I can afford them.

But Vandersteen's VSM1 design is similar to JTR's surrounds as they are also coaxial. So that's at least an up side. Lol.

I won't get much more then $5000 for my Quatro's and I want to buy three JTR 215's so I need to figure out how to come up with an extra $5000, lol.

Once the Quatro's sell the single 2CE Sig MKII the Vandersteen 1C's and my Kimber Kable Bifocal XL's 10' length will all be up for sale too.

Just thinking out of the box for ya, but since you're going full blown HT, have you considered this? You could save some money. Certainly not a knock on the JTRs, I'm sure they sound fantastic. But, for me, I'm just not THAT picky when it comes to HT sound reproduction- UNLESS that same HT system doubles for my music. 

ClawAndTalon is offline  
post #877 of 880 Old 05-26-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
Posts: 3,899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 83
The Quatro's would put even these klipsch to shame. I want to upgrade my theater sound not degrade it. Nothing agents the klipsch system, but nothing I have heard is as effortless and clear as JTR's when playing at reference levels and above for home theater.
SOWK is offline  
post #878 of 880 Old 05-26-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 2,127
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post

Just thinking out of the box for ya, but since you're going full blown HT, have you considered this? You could save some money. Certainly not a knock on the JTRs, I'm sure they sound fantastic. But, for me, I'm just not THAT picky when it comes to HT sound reproduction- UNLESS that same HT system doubles for my music. 
I agree with Sowk, that would not be an upgrade. THe 215's are in a whole different league.
Reefdvr27 is online now  
post #879 of 880 Old 05-26-2014, 09:37 AM
Senior Member
 
ClawAndTalon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I agree with Sowk, that would not be an upgrade. THe 215's are in a whole different league.

I agree that they are better too.
ClawAndTalon is offline  
post #880 of 880 Old 06-03-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
Posts: 3,899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 83
My Vandersteen Quatro's sold, and I now have for sale a "single" 2CE SIG MKII (center channel for behind an AT screen - Matte Black)

and Standard Black 1C's (2 speakers)


Asking $1000 for both plus shipping. (3 total speakers)

or

$600 (1C's) + shipping
$600 (2Ce Sig MKII) + shipping


Local pick up preferred.
SOWK is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off