Athena b1.2's or Onix Xls's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 06-28-2006, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Has anyone heard how the Onix X-ls speakers from av123 compare against the Athena B1.2's???? The Athena's are cheaper than the Onix's at the moment but If the Onix X-ls's are really "the best speakers under $200 per pair" then I probably would check those out. anybody can compare????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 06-28-2006, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I haven't heard the Athena's but I just received a pair of B stock X-ls yesterday. They are not packed the way that you expect a $200 speaker to be. Double boxed, and each speaker is in a cotton sleeve. The speakers are very solid!

Mine are the black finish(vinyl?) and look sharp. I would have preferred the white maple veneer - but all a stock is sold out; and I came across the link to the b stock sale($25 off). After seeing the black finish I'm extremely happy with it.

My other speakers are a pair of Cambridge Soundworks Ensembles( 15 yrs old). I've been happy with them over the years. I haven't compared them side by side - I've upgraded some of the electronics and moved the old setup into another room.

So far I'm pleased with them. I build a diy sub over the winter so I notice not having a sub to fill in things. I'm not sure how much difference in bass there is from the 6.5" drivers compared to the 15 yr old 8" in the Ensemble woofers.

You probably would be happy with either choice; but I'm impressed with the X-ls so far and will check out the center channel & towers when they are released.

I know that this didn't answer your questions but hopefully this gives you some worthwhile info.
post #3 of 30 Old 06-28-2006, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

also depends on your receiver/amp, as well as room characteristics and, of course, personal prefs. Whatcha got?

For example, an entry level Yammie with Athenas in a highly reflective room with hardwood or ceramic floors would probably not be a pleasant experience.
post #4 of 30 Old 06-28-2006, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I have the Pioneer 516 amp (I decided against Yamaha because of the brightness associated with Athenas paired with a Yammy). My room is about 8x11x20. the rears would be facing the fronts across the 11 foot space. The width is 20 and the height is 8 ft. Anyways, I was curious about the comparison because I was thinking about getting the Athena B1.2's or the X-ls's depending Along with a SVS PB12 sub. I hadn't decided between the Athena's or X-ls's yet though. Since I can't really Audition the Onix speakers being that they are Internet direct only I would see if there was a big diff between the two.

oh yeah, I have carpeted floors
post #5 of 30 Old 06-28-2006, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

Well I have the Pioneer 516 amp (I decided against Yamaha because of the brightness associated with Athenas paired with a Yammy). My room is about 8x11x20. the rears would be facing the fronts across the 11 foot space. The width is 20 and the height is 8 ft. Anyways, I was curious about the comparison because I was thinking about getting the Athena B1.2's or the X-ls's depending Along with a SVS PB12 sub. I hadn't decided between the Athena's or X-ls's yet though. Since I can't really Audition the Onix speakers being that they are Internet direct only I would see if there was a big diff between the two.

oh yeah, I have carpeted floors

Pioneer and Athena work well together, plus your carpeted floor will help too.

If this is primarily an HT setup, I'd get the Athenas and put the savings into the sub, that's where you'll get the most immediate gratification (assuming you watch lots of action/thriller flicks).
post #6 of 30 Old 06-28-2006, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Definitely an HT setup. I'll probably plug my Mp3 player into my receiver to play some music, but 90% of my time will be on movies or playing Gamecube (soon to be the Nintendo Wii ) and I watch lots of Action/Sci-fi movies . Thanks for the advice so far guys. You guys are wonderful
post #7 of 30 Old 06-28-2006, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

90% of my time will be on movies or playing Gamecube (soon to be the Nintendo Wii ) and I watch lots of Action/Sci-fi movies .

Well, that pretty much seals the deal: Athena/SVS is your ticket!

In fact, you probably would be ok even with the $50 Insignia speakers from Best Buy (3 pairs for $150 and easily returned if you don't like them) that lots of people are raving about.
post #8 of 30 Old 06-28-2006, 07:55 PM

Have to interject with my 2 pennies being how I've experience with both speakers mentioned.

While the athenas are a very good speaker they don't quite keep up with the x-ls in many areas.

1. The soundstage & imaging of the X is quite a bit bigger/better than the B1.

2. The X is neutral, B1 has a much brighter presentation.

3. Mids were more pronounced & smoother with X and bass was tighter.

X were run w/ onkyo 602 in a 2000 cu ft hardwood flr w/ area rug
X also run in carpeted 15x14 bedroom with onkyo 500.
B1 teamed with pio stereo receiver in about a 12x12 carpeted room.

These are my observations of the speakers in different listening environments with dif equipment running them so take with a pinch of salt. Personally I would spend the xtra $ for the Onix, that's just me. Good luck with you discission, either product will rock with the svs. Also keep in mind that svs has a bookshelf as well for around the same $.

JR
post #9 of 30 Old 06-28-2006, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koasa View Post

I haven't heard the Athena's but I just received a pair of B stock X-ls yesterday. They are not packed the way that you expect a $200 speaker to be. Double boxed, and each speaker is in a cotton sleeve. The speakers are very solid!

Mine are the black finish(vinyl?) and look sharp. I would have preferred the white maple veneer - but all a stock is sold out; and I came across the link to the b stock sale($25 off). After seeing the black finish I'm extremely happy with it.

My other speakers are a pair of Cambridge Soundworks Ensembles( 15 yrs old). I've been happy with them over the years. I haven't compared them side by side - I've upgraded some of the electronics and moved the old setup into another room.

So far I'm pleased with them. I build a diy sub over the winter so I notice not having a sub to fill in things. I'm not sure how much difference in bass there is from the 6.5" drivers compared to the 15 yr old 8" in the Ensemble woofers.

You probably would be happy with either choice; but I'm impressed with the X-ls so far and will check out the center channel & towers when they are released.

I know that this didn't answer your questions but hopefully this gives you some worthwhile info.

Hello koasa...

Just a quick note to say that the Satin Black is a "painted finish" only... no vinyl here...

Thanks for your nice comments...

All the best...

mls

Founder and President
av123 / Rocket Loudspeakers
Perpetual Technologies
post #10 of 30 Old 06-29-2006, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

well, after much debating it looks like you've gained another client Mark
post #11 of 30 Old 06-29-2006, 01:33 PM

While I do not have mine yet, and thus cannot provide performance feedback, I too was looking at Athena vs. Onix.

In my case I made the decision to go with the soon to be released X-SLS. Everything I read/hear continues to make me feel that I made the right choice.
post #12 of 30 Old 06-29-2006, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

just curious... have you considered the Ascend Acoustics brand? They will cost you a little more but I hear they sound fantastic.

I'm still considering Ascend, Athena, and the X-ls.
post #13 of 30 Old 06-29-2006, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I hadn't checked into Ascend yet, I was originally going to go with Polk but narrowed it down to the Athenas. The someone introduced me to the ********** site. they look yummy
post #14 of 30 Old 06-29-2006, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was wondering being that I'm using my system for HT and not music (or very much music that is) would it be ok to use three X-ls's (L, R and Center) and then use the Insignia Speakers as Rears (5.1 setup). I've heard that only 10% of movie sound is played over the rears so having speakers on Par with the X-ls's for rears would be fairly pointless. Is this a good idea or am I smoking crack?
post #15 of 30 Old 06-29-2006, 04:07 PM

IMO if you are not listening to multi channel audio then your surrounds do not need to match.

JR
post #16 of 30 Old 06-29-2006, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Wormraper, you can do that if you cannot afford the entire package, but can you purchase 3 x-ls speaker (don't they come in pairs)? However, it would be better to use the same speakers all the way around if you want a proper timber match (it will sound better too).

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #17 of 30 Old 06-29-2006, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, you can buy odds. they give you the option to choose a pair for $199 or a single for $100.
post #18 of 30 Old 06-29-2006, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hadn't checked into Ascend yet, I was originally going to go with Polk but narrowed it down to the Athenas. The someone introduced me to the ********** site. they look yummy

Just in case you were curious, here's one person's comments who upgraded from Athenas to Ascends:

http://swbg1.tripod.com/ascend_speakers.htm
post #19 of 30 Old 06-30-2006, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

the ascends do look pretty nice, but I think I've pushed my budget a bit too much as it is. Plus I've had good reviews from people with the X-ls. Still deciding on whether to use the Insignia's as rears though.
post #20 of 30 Old 06-30-2006, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Wormraper - If you are short on cash, then definitely don't worry about running a different pair of speakers as surrounds. I do the same thing now, and it works fine. Hell, later on you could buy a pair of the towers for $299 and then move the X-LS' to the rear.
post #21 of 30 Old 07-01-2006, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

hmmm good Idea, those towers look sexy
post #22 of 30 Old 07-01-2006, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the ascends do look pretty nice, but I think I've pushed my budget a bit too much as it is. Plus I've had good reviews from people with the X-ls.

Wellllllllll, if you are basing your purchase so much on reviews, I'd advise you to do a quick Google search for Ascend reviews...especially the audioreview.com site. When I was speaker shopping about 2 years ago, I could not find a SINGLE truly negative review of them, and I can't say that about any other Internet-direct speakers out there...which speaks volumes. Think about it, any company can grease up enough people to post a bunch of flattering reviews about their product, but what they can't do is PREVENT anyone from posting negative reviews.
post #23 of 30 Old 07-01-2006, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edster922 View Post

Wellllllllll, if you are basing your purchase so much on reviews, I'd advise you to do a quick Google search for Ascend reviews...especially the audioreview.com site. When I was speaker shopping about 2 years ago, I could not find a SINGLE truly negative review of them, and I can't say that about any other Internet-direct speakers out there...which speaks volumes. Think about it, any company can grease up enough people to post a bunch of flattering reviews about their product, but what they can't do is PREVENT anyone from posting negative reviews.

Yeah, I kinda half to base these sets on reviews. In town we have no retailers that even sell the Athena's. The "high end" stuff is Polk and the basic Inifinity's (not even the betas). Kinda blows which is why I'm reviewing stuff so closely
post #24 of 30 Old 07-02-2006, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Then I recommend you peruse that audioreview.com site very closely, if you want to compare Onix, Axiom, and Ascend.
post #25 of 30 Old 07-13-2006, 08:19 AM

I am really considering the 5.1 X-ls set. Or buying them peices at a time as I get money to help ease the wife. Anyway The only thing holding me back is I am finishing my basement and I really want to mount these speakers on the walls. And they are 13 pounds apaprently. Is there a good mounting bracket out there that is adjustable that will work with these?

--Deadsoulz
post #26 of 30 Old 07-13-2006, 09:07 AM

Actually they are 17 lbs a peice.

Some of these mounts may work 4 U.
http://www.standsandmounts.com/index...S&Category=206

JR
post #27 of 30 Old 07-13-2006, 09:36 AM

Thanks, I guess something like this would work pretty well, as it looks like it uses a calmping feature.

http://www.standsandmounts.com/index...OD&ProdID=2879
post #28 of 30 Old 07-13-2006, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsoulz View Post

I am really considering the 5.1 X-ls set. Or buying them peices at a time as I get money to help ease the wife. Anyway The only thing holding me back is I am finishing my basement and I really want to mount these speakers on the walls. And they are 13 pounds apaprently. Is there a good mounting bracket out there that is adjustable that will work with these?

--Deadsoulz

On AV123s website they actually recommend a product for wall mounting, using their mounting plate. It is pretty nifty.

This
+ these.

Then they are perfectly attached to the wall.

Quote:

In collaboration with Wood Technology Inc., the x-ls Launch Pad plate will allow you to mount your x-ls speakers to the wall without drilling or otherwise harming the finish.

The x-ls Launch Pad plate is custom designed and made from 1" MDF, painted flat black, and features rounded corners and pre-drilled holes that line up with the brass threaded inserts included in the base of all x-ls loudspeakers.

Typically, to wall mount a bookshelf/monitor speaker, you must drill holes into the bottom or back of the speaker to install the mounting bracket. This can lower resale value and if you ever move the speaker, those mounting holes can be rather unsightly. With the x-ls Launch Pad, this is a thing of the past...

Simply bolt this plate to your x-ls speaker with the supplied hardware and then you can attach a wall mount bracket to this plate rather than the speaker! Omnimount makes a perfect companion bracket for this; it is designed to mount to the underside of a speaker and then attach to the wall. The part number for this is 30.0WB and can be found at numerous online and traditional electronics stores.

post #29 of 30 Old 05-06-2007, 04:06 PM

Bumping this thread because I am in a similar situation...

I am thinking about getting some speakers for my home theater, and the Athena B1.2s are a click away. I'm just posting in case anyone wants to call me crazy or has any advice.

I have an Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver on the way and I don't have a lot of money to blow, so I was thinking about just doing 2.1 for now and gradually upgrading to 5.1. But, from my research here, these are the speakers I am considering: B1.2s $120, av123 xl-s for $220, or Velodyne front row 5 piece for $200 or 2 piece for 70. There is a huge price difference between the first 2 and the velodynes; I'm not sure if there is a sound quality difference to go along with that, alot of people seem to like the velodynes. Unfortunately, I have no clue as to where I could listen to any of these brands, so I am probably going to be buying blind.

My concerns are:
-no clue what to expect as far as sound quality. I don't have critical ears, but I also don't want to buy junk
-velodynes are only available in white. I think that is gonna be ugly
-xl-s will probably require me to buy stands as the speakers are too wide to fit in my current setup. If they were less wide, I would probably buy them in a heartbeat. I am concerned about how they would look/fit on stands in my condo. It's also possible that their floorstanding ones might be good for me.
-if I go with the B1.2s, will a subwoofer or center channel be necessary right away?

I plan on using this for 40% video gaming, 50% tv/dvd/blu-ray, 10% music.

I'm a noob, feel free to yell at me!
post #30 of 30 Old 05-06-2007, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Just my 2 cents, but I've auditioned the Athena's twice because I couldn't believe how bad they were. I would give one of the online brands a try like X-LS or Ascend.

Jon
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page