Does "Close to Wall" Placement Eliminate Rear Ported Speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-30-2006, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just finishing my 12' X 20' dedicated HT. A riser with 2 rows of recliners does not leave much room for "audiophile" placement of speakers 4' out into the room. Ideally, my fronts will be floorstanders or stand-mounted monitors 12" or less from the front wall. Should this reduce (or eliminate) rear ported speakers from consideration? I've acoustically treated the front wall, back wall and reflection points. I'd like to pare down my audition list before I start serious listening this summer. Budget is $5 to $7K for L/C/R...

John

"What happens in Vegas..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-30-2006, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
If you can give it a foot behind the speakers, you should be fine with most rear-ported speakers.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-01-2006, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

ideally 2-3 time the port diameter is the minimum.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-01-2006, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
2-3x the port diameter is the minimum distance to allow the airflow in and out of the port to keep from affecting the port tuning. That really means nothing to boundary effect.

There will almost undoubtedly be someone to say that it doesn't matter where the ports are, the boundary effects are the same no matter what. I think that this thinking is book smart, but overlooking reality.

The port is producing low frequency output to augment what is coiming from the cone, and close proximity to a boundary WILL enhance the output of the port. If you have a flexible EQ, you can tailor out the uneven response caused by the boundary effect.

Personally, since I use high quality subwoofers with my speaker systems, I do not need a ported design for the additional LF output from the satellite speakers.

I choose acoustic suspension models for all satellite locations and would only consider using a ported design as a subwoofer.

Certified: Vantage InFusion, AMX A.C.E.
Lutron HomeWorks, Lutron RadioRa2 (Level 2)
post #5 of 7 Old 07-01-2006, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

JR,

Really depends on the speakers, and your personal bass preferences. I was killing some time at Tweeter last night, listened to a bunch of bookshelves that were positioned no more than 6 inches from the wall. One of them, the JBL Studio 2-way, actually had a pretty pleasant bass thump in that position.

I also had this speaker on loan for a few days, which DEFINITELY required a good 2-3 feet from the wall because it has wall-rattling, subwoofer-like bass:

http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/Emma.htm

The humongous rear port says it all...
post #6 of 7 Old 07-02-2006, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, guys. I'm going to start auditioning speakers in my room after I move mine out this week...

John

"What happens in Vegas..."
post #7 of 7 Old 07-02-2006, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemascope
2-3x the port diameter is the minimum distance to allow the airflow in and out of the port to keep from affecting the port tuning. That really means nothing to boundary effect.

There will almost undoubtedly be someone to say that it doesn't matter where the ports are, the boundary effects are the same no matter what. I think that this thinking is book smart, but overlooking reality.

The port is producing low frequency output to augment what is coiming from the cone, and close proximity to a boundary WILL enhance the output of the port. If you have a flexible EQ, you can tailor out the uneven response caused by the boundary effect.

boundaries affect all speakers not just ported...so it doesnt matter if you stick a ported speaker near a wall/corner or a sealed speaker....the boundaries excite a certain set of low frequencies in either case....unless of course the sealed speaker is not a full range speaker...

also, just because a speaker is ported, doesnt mean the listener is not going to be using a sub with it...all my speakers are ported...and i also use a sub.

if you are limiting yourself to sealed speakers soley on that argument you are missing out on a lot of fine speakers....and i think you are generalizing by making such a blanket statement...there are a lot of other things that need to be considered.
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page