Small speakers, big sound? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 07-06-2006, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all. I am setting up a second media area and need to satisfy my needs for big sound and wifes objection to large speakers. I tried Bose AM 10 series III and that was a huge mistake. In my opinion they sound hollow, not full. The area is two rooms, the kitchen area where I will be sitting at a bar most of the time looking down into the den where the equipment will be which is approximately 10x12. There is a fireplace in the middle of the den with a 50" plasma above it. The front speakers will sit on the mantle, which is only 7" deep. Therein lies my problem. Wife says no to tower speakers. I can hide the rears and sub. Center speaker is limited in size also as it needs to fit under plasma (no taller than 3 3/4"). I will be listening to 75% HT (mostly TV) but I'm a audio lover from way back and want music to sound good. Receiver will most likely be Denon AVR 3805 or 2807. I'm willing to spend up to $2000 on 5.1 system. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-06-2006, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Check this site. They are internet only but do give you a 30 free in home trial and they have a shipping special going on. These little things get rave reviews and should satisify the waf.

www.orbaudio.com

Found a current thread on Orbs here. Should be alble to get alot of useful info. I don't even need small speakers and I'm considering them after finding these threads for you, haha

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=695825
post #3 of 24 Old 07-07-2006, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks, I'm seriously interested.
post #4 of 24 Old 07-07-2006, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I own the Orbs as well, I needed to go small as I put a full set in a 5th wheel. I highly recommend these speakers if you want great sound and size is a consideration. They do a great job.

Russ
post #5 of 24 Old 07-07-2006, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg
I own the Orbs as well, I needed to go small as I put a full set in a 5th wheel. I highly recommend these speakers if you want great sound and size is a consideration. They do a great job.
What's a 5th wheel?

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.

Hometown team
post #6 of 24 Old 07-07-2006, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Let me get this straight, you are looking for a center channel that is less than 4 inches tall? If so, good luck with that one buddy.

Honestly man, I would tell the wife that you will agree to the no floor standers rule, but that you want to mount some bookshelf speakers. If she agrees, check these packages out:
http://www.**********/products_produc...s&product=83.1
http://www.axiomaudio.com/epicmaster_350main.html

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #7 of 24 Old 07-07-2006, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I had a lot of success setting up my parent's Ht with the Hsu Ventriloquist system. They really surprised me with how good they sounded and everyone that has heard them has been impressed.

Kaboom.
post #8 of 24 Old 07-07-2006, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772
I had a lot of success setting up my parent's Ht with the Hsu Ventriloquist system. They really surprised me with how good they sounded and everyone that has heard them has been impressed.
I set up a set of these with a Hsu STF-2 in my Parents' family room. Sounds great.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #9 of 24 Old 07-07-2006, 10:22 AM

I'm using monitor audio radius 90's for my surrounds--they are small and sound great. For the center, I'm using the radius 225, which is about 4.5 inches tall.
post #10 of 24 Old 07-07-2006, 11:22 AM

Liked: 14
I would look at Def Tech Mythos Gems and a Mythos 7 center. Their subs are excellent also.
post #11 of 24 Old 07-07-2006, 12:32 PM

Bose Acoustimass systems are small and are rated for 200w per channel. They offer BIG sound.
post #12 of 24 Old 07-07-2006, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directvfreak2
Bose Acoustimass systems are small and are rated for 200w per channel. They offer BIG sound.
Don't take this rudely but your proof of another targeted victim of Bose. Bose has mediocre equipment at ridiculously high prices. The amount spent on a Bose system will buy you something sounding BILLIONS times better...and MOST of the time costing less! The quality of materials used in any Bose component is an insult to any conciensence comsumer and yet they tell you it's the best.

Evil is Good
post #13 of 24 Old 07-07-2006, 12:59 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitod
Don't take this rudely but your proof of another targeted victim of Bose. Bose has mediocre equipment at ridiculously high prices. The amount spent on a Bose system will buy you something sounding BILLIONS times better...and MOST of the time costing less! The quality of materials used in any Bose component is an insult to any conciensence comsumer and yet they tell you it's the best.
He has been recommending Bose all over the place. He is either a paid Bose rep or spoiling for a fight. :p
post #14 of 24 Old 07-07-2006, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by directvfreak2
Ok, I should cut you some slack because I've been guilty of this before...

But you obviously didn't read the OP...he's already demoed BLOSE.

Or if you did: your cover is blown, you ARE a BLOSE rep!
post #15 of 24 Old 07-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

The biggest sounding small speakers I've heard are the Jensen CJR
50hz @-3db with just 5 1/4" woofers and under 1 foot I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooler_686
Hi all. I am setting up a second media area and need to satisfy my needs for big sound and wifes objection to large speakers. I tried Bose AM 10 series III and that was a huge mistake. In my opinion they sound hollow, not full. The area is two rooms, the kitchen area where I will be sitting at a bar most of the time looking down into the den where the equipment will be which is approximately 10x12. There is a fireplace in the middle of the den with a 50" plasma above it. The front speakers will sit on the mantle, which is only 7" deep. Therein lies my problem. Wife says no to tower speakers. I can hide the rears and sub. Center speaker is limited in size also as it needs to fit under plasma (no taller than 3 3/4"). I will be listening to 75% HT (mostly TV) but I'm a audio lover from way back and want music to sound good. Receiver will most likely be Denon AVR 3805 or 2807. I'm willing to spend up to $2000 on 5.1 system. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
post #16 of 24 Old 07-09-2006, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all
post #17 of 24 Old 07-09-2006, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Bad-ass, clean-big-sounding, high-quality, beautiful, little speakers...........

http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/pr...ine.php?id=318

The Mini's come with a very neat, built-in, wall-mounting system that works great! I installed two for surrounds within an hour.

Beautiful real wood veneer's, and classy piano black available finishes. But great sounding as well.
post #18 of 24 Old 07-09-2006, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD
Bad-ass, clean-big-sounding, high-quality, beautiful, little speakers...........

http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/pr...ine.php?id=318
Where did you buy those things? I'm a fan of Energy anyway I would really like to hear them. I'm in Palos Verdes...Thanks

Russ
post #19 of 24 Old 07-09-2006, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg
Where did you buy those things? I'm a fan of Energy anyway I would really like to hear them. I'm in Palos Verdes...Thanks
yeah............they're still somewhat new on the market, and are just now beginning to show up in dealer showrooms. Any Energy dealer can order them if they don't have them. One major dealer in the L.A./Southern California area is Ken Cranes. There are others as well.

To be honest I purchased these by phone, from Audio Excellence, without test-listening. I'm a huge Energy fan, I appreciate the level of engineering & design they put into their products. Beautiful form & function! Good price as well.
post #20 of 24 Old 07-09-2006, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD
yeah............they're still somewhat new on the market, and are just now beginning to show up in dealer showrooms. Any Energy dealer can order them if they don't have them. One major dealer in the L.A./Southern California area is Ken Cranes. There are others as well.

To be honest I purchased these by phone, from Audio Excellence, without test-listening. I'm a huge Energy fan, I appreciate the level of engineering & design they put into their products. Beautiful form & function! Good price as well.
I just called Ken Cranes, thanks for the heads up.

Russ
post #21 of 24 Old 07-09-2006, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooler_686
The front speakers will sit on the mantle, which is only 7" deep. Therein lies my problem. Wife says no to tower speakers. I can hide the rears and sub. Center speaker is limited in size also as it needs to fit under plasma (no taller than 3 3/4"). I will be listening to 75% HT (mostly TV) but I'm a audio lover from way back and want music to sound good. Receiver will most likely be Denon AVR 3805 or 2807. I'm willing to spend up to $2000 on 5.1 system. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
These speakers are just under 7" deep and can go flush against your wall since they are sealed enclosures --- with a good sub will provide excellent music enjoyment:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...00/htm200.html

I'd get 3 of these and put them on your mantel, then wall mount the 2 rears. With the Hsu STF-2 sub, you're looking at $1080 shipped which leaves you plenty for the receiver.
post #22 of 24 Old 07-09-2006, 04:50 PM

Nice pair of larger in-walls, or flat panel monitors, close to plasma, phantom center.
Looks will win over the wife, you'll get bigger, better sound.

Don't keep upgrading, get great stuff right away.
post #23 of 24 Old 07-09-2006, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

might also want to audition paradigm mini monitors..
post #24 of 24 Old 07-09-2006, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772
HSU has some new satellite coming out with horns in em! they look great, id wait for those if youre going to buy HSU
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page