Atlantic Technology owner's thread. - Page 31 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 928 Old 08-30-2014, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalJackson View Post
I'm running a 11 channel setup as well ...8200e system with additional 4400sr for heights and 4400lr for wides. I guess I was wondering if there's something smaller than the 4400sr to use as atmos speakers. The 4400sr seems too heavy/bulky for use as a ceiling speaker ...but I'm sure I will find a way once I move to an Atmos setup.

I just bought a Marantz AV8801 last month so will probably be a couple of years before I seriously look into upgrading to an Atmos setup. I haven't been following too closely, but was under the impression that the height and width channels would be used in addition to the atmos ceiling channels?
I also bought the 8801 3 months ago so will at least keep it for another 2-3 years till i upgrade.

If you are going to run Atmos then you can't use your wide and height speakers the same time, it's either Atmos or that.

If i am not mistaken the most speakers you could do with Atmos are the traditional 7.1 setup + 4 Atmos speakers which are either ceiling or pointed towards the ceiling. this is called 7.1.4

Hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 928 Old 09-16-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1973 Post(s)
Liked: 1279
Speaking of Atmos, looks like the Atlantic Technology height modules were greeted favorably at CEDIA:
Quote:
Unfortunately, I missed Atlantic Technology’s demo at the Expo, but I got to hear the company’s new 44-DA speaker module in a demo conducted by chipmaker Analog Devices. The $449/pair 44-DA fits atop Atlantic’s 4400 LR speakers so closely that you don’t even notice that there’s a separate module sitting on top. Each one has a 5.25" woofer and a 1" tweeter in a concentric array. Maybe it’s because Analog Devices’ demo was in a small, quite hotel room instead of in one of the prefab sound rooms on the show floor, but I thought this system delivered perhaps the most precise imaging of the object-based sound effects, such as the spears whizzing toward you in the opening of Star Trek Into Darkness.
http://www.soundstageglobal.com/inde...kers-and-demos

Sanjay
post #903 of 928 Old 09-17-2014, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the 4400 center, L,R, and surrounds coming soon, pretty much sight unseen and unheard by me. The few posts I've read in this thread speak highly of AT. Looking forward to hooking them up and putting them through their paces. 5 speakers for now, eventually moving to 7, maybe 9 or 11 speaker setup. I like also, that the System 4400 is the one that is Atmos ready with the add on modules being fairly inexpensive and unobtrusive.

post #904 of 928 Old 10-05-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Q: I've got a full vintage Atlantic Technology System 350 5.1, I've used it for 12 years in my family room, and also outdoors for movie night.

Is that worth anything these days? Like even $300 - ish, I did pay over $2k for it in 2000 from OneCall, authorized dealer back then..

I've got blown mid-range drivers in the mains, and am contemplating replacing them and selling them as a 5.1 set or just the center and surrounds if fixing the mains mid-range drivers are over $100 total.
Here is thread that shows what I've done so far on fixing them,
Mid-range gone: blown driver or crossover board?

Anybody have good contact to Atlantic Tech service rep please PM me their info, I'd appreciate it.

You can see the family room set-up below

and usage outdoors also, the mains and center mounted on my garage side:
bweissman likes this.
post #905 of 928 Old 10-08-2014, 08:14 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3447 Post(s)
Liked: 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Speaking of Atmos, looks like the Atlantic Technology height modules were greeted favorably at CEDIA: http://www.soundstageglobal.com/inde...kers-and-demos
AT expects to have the 44-DA Atmos modules available early December, so if anyone is interested, best to get a pre-order in to guarantee availability from the first shipment.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #906 of 928 Old 10-14-2014, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Atlantic Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Greer View Post
President & CEO of Atlantic Technology Peter Tribeman called me yesterday afternoon after seeing my post here and did a great job addressing my concerns my experience his customer support person. He also gave me a huge download of information about AT, Dolby, their thinking behind the development of this speaker, and why they did what they did. Super nice guy. All is well with the world.
I have been involved with Atantic Tech for well over 20 years both as a user and a dealer and I totally agree Pete is the best. Our company was one of the first authorized online dealers. A quick story from 2005, we sold a Yale Professor the system 8200 this was when they shifted the line over and the 8200 was the new flagship. I might be slightly off on the year but it was around this time. The Yale professor bought his whole system including PJ and screen and sunfire amp/pre amp. He called me one day and he said he had completely blown out his Atlantic tech 8200 front speakers and smoke was coming out of the voice coils. I asked him what he was doing and how loud he had the volume up. He was using the sunfire cinema grand amp at 400 watts per channel. I personally own this very system. I asked him what movie he was playing. He said he had Amadeus playing and one part not sure the scene he put the volume on full and blew the front's out. I called Atlantic and told them this and in about 2 hours Pete Tribeman called me and asked me a bunch of questions about this guy. He said in all of his years as a speaker designer and mfg he never had speakers this good get blown. I told him what happened and he said it's really the guys own fault. I agreed and I said I am not requesting a replacement but how much to fix. You know what he did, he said he would replace at no charge and shipped the guy new speakers. He picked up the old ones free also. He did not need to do that. This struck me as great customer service and I have always had a loyalty to selling and using Atlantic. The bottom line with AT is you can't go wrong with the quality and they back their products. They are a great company.

Alan Hutchinson
Owner
HTmarket.com
post #907 of 928 Old 10-14-2014, 10:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 265
I have 6 of the 8200 LRs (plus the CC) and can't imagine playing them so loud that they'd smoke.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, VideoForge HDMI II, Klein K10, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #908 of 928 Old 10-15-2014, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I own the 8200's also and I would never turn it up that loud as my ears would fall off first before the speakers ever blew.

Alan Hutchinson
HTmarket.com
post #909 of 928 Old 10-27-2014, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a System 250 Speaker System and one of my front speakers is dead. It's a Model 251 LR.

I ruled out my receiver by swapping the channels. I can hear sound out of the bad speaker but it's at about 5% of the volume coming out of the good speaker.

On the first page of the PDF, it's the speaker on each side of the sub.

http://www.atlantictechnology.com/fi...250_manual.pdf

Does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks
post #910 of 928 Old 10-28-2014, 03:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by fox1541 View Post
I have a System 250 Speaker System and one of my front speakers is dead. It's a Model 251 LR.

I ruled out my receiver by swapping the channels. I can hear sound out of the bad speaker but it's at about 5% of the volume coming out of the good speaker.

On the first page of the PDF, it's the speaker on each side of the sub.

http://www.atlantictechnology.com/fi...250_manual.pdf

Does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks
Contact Atlantic Technology and I am sure they will guide you with advice and possibly parts!

They have very good customer service even on the older stuff.

Good luck!

...Glenn
post #911 of 928 Old 10-30-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1973 Post(s)
Liked: 1279
Outlaw is selling the Atlantic Technology Atmos-enabled speakers bundled with the Marantz 7702.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/outlet/44da.html

Sanjay
post #912 of 928 Old 11-17-2014, 01:00 AM

i have 3 642e subs running in my 3400ft room, everything calibrated with XT32 (dynamic volume off) all speakers set to small 80hz.

i tend to listen to movies around -6 and nearly in every single movie a sub or two bottom out once or twice, once i run the 3 subs together in the speaker level they are 73-75db all together which is ideal and not even running hot. and that is after i increased them a few db's, as Audyssey set them really low around 70-71db. and they were barely noticable like nearly off which shouldn't be the case for 3 subs.

any solutions? i really feel the subs are the weak link in my system as i am not even listening at reference level and my room is fully treated with panels and bass traps.

speakers are 8200e

post #913 of 928 Old 11-17-2014, 04:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbolito View Post
i have 3 642e subs running in my 3400ft room, everything calibrated with XT32 (dynamic volume off) all speakers set to small 80hz.

i tend to listen to movies around -6 and nearly in every single movie a sub or two bottom out once or twice, once i run the 3 subs together in the speaker level they are 73-75db all together which is ideal and not even running hot. and that is after i increased them a few db's, as Audyssey set them really low around 70-71db. and they were barely noticable like nearly off which shouldn't be the case for 3 subs.

any solutions? i really feel the subs are the weak link in my system as i am not even listening at reference level and my room is fully treated with panels and bass traps.

speakers are 8200e

According to the specs found here http://www.atlantictechnology.com/pr...sb-thx-select/ those subs are 350 watts that only go down to 25 hz. That's your problem. Not enough subwoofer for your space. That also explains why they on occasion bottom out.

I use a single Seaton Submersive in a larger space and its enough for me. There are other good subs around as well but after using a Velodyne HGS 15 for several years, a SVS Ultra 15 for a few years, the Submersive seems to me to be most accurate. Although there are those who will load their space with 3 or 4 subs, one seemed to be enough for me.
Balbolito likes this.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, VideoForge HDMI II, Klein K10, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #914 of 928 Old 11-17-2014, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
According to the specs found here http://www.atlantictechnology.com/pr...sb-thx-select/ those subs are 350 watts that only go down to 25 hz. That's your problem. Not enough subwoofer for your space. That also explains why they on occasion bottom out.

I use a single Seaton Submersive in a larger space and its enough for me. There are other good subs around as well but after using a Velodyne HGS 15 for several years, a SVS Ultra 15 for a few years, the Submersive seems to me to be most accurate. Although there are those who will load their space with 3 or 4 subs, one seemed to be enough for me.
thanks for your reply, then i guess i would have to live with them for at least a year then my goal is to upgrade to a full seaton setup (catalysts and submersives)

post #915 of 928 Old 11-17-2014, 05:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbolito View Post
thanks for your reply, then i guess i would have to live with them for at least a year then my goal is to upgrade to a full seaton setup (catalysts and submersives)

That should be a killer system. From what I've heard, the catalysts are pretty good.

Balbolito likes this.

post #916 of 928 Old 03-11-2015, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I have 6200e L/R speakers that I'm using for wide speakers to complement the 8200e L/R main speakers. Also use 4400 Surrounds for my height speakers. I even tried a pair of 1400srz as my height speakers and blended nicely with the 8200e speakers ...until I blew them out after a couple of hours. Most of the newer Atlantic Tech speakers work well together, but again, you may not get good results trying to use the older 450 speakers combined with newer ones. Drivers are constructed of different materials and speakers have an overall different sound. I still have my THX 350's and tried to use the surrounds as my height speakers. They did not mix well with the 8200e L/R speakers.
The 450s are definitely different sounding speakers. Believe it or not, I had the 8200s and found them to have such a different sound that I sold them. I found what I own now the, 450eU2 to be a little more dynamic at lower listing levels, much warmer sounding, slightly more efferent (91dB @ 1m), and just preferred the 450s sound over the 8200s. I think most would disagree with me and would prefer the 8200 over the 450. It is all about ones personal preference because these speakers are very different sounding and both are amazing. I only wish my 450s and 370s were biamp-able as that was what I really liked about my 8200s I have always been a die hard fan of ATs from the 90s on, mostly for home theater. Finding people selling their 370s and 450s are rather rare these days. I believe it is because they still hold up to many newer speakers coming out in the same price range. My new Home theater build is almost done and I will link it here after I post it.
post #917 of 928 Old 03-11-2015, 09:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've had the 370s, 450s and now the 8200s.

My experience has been that the 370s didn't sound as good as the 450s with the same receiver.

When I went with the 8200s, I had to up my amplification to make them sound good. Once I did that, I felt that they sound better than the 450s. My only reason for going to the 8200s is that I had moved into a larger home and the 450s wouldn't carry the room they were in.

I did keep a couple of the 450s to do a two channel system some day. Look forward to getting them setup.

post #918 of 928 Old 03-11-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
I've had the 370s, 450s and now the 8200s.

My experience has been that the 370s didn't sound as good as the 450s with the same receiver.

When I went with the 8200s, I had to up my amplification to make them sound good. Once I did that, I felt that they sound better than the 450s. My only reason for going to the 8200s is that I had moved into a larger home and the 450s wouldn't carry the room they were in.

I did keep a couple of the 450s to do a two channel system some day. Look forward to getting them setup.

Yeah, sometimes I do find myself question that decision to sell them. I was running the 8200 with my two 9BSST Bryston's and the 450 with an Integra receiver. Separate rooms and was maybe not a fair comparison. I remember doing it that way because I too had noticed how power hungry the 8200s were and 6 Ohm load. Even still the receiver somehow with only 100watts to each 450, sounded better to me vs the Bryston's at 150watts to each 8200 driver biamped seemed to struggle or a bit bright when I compared them. It was like the 8200 were not loud enough and then if I turned them up they were to bright. When I moved to my new house and started to build my new home theater I was offered a good deal of money from a local buyer for them and had to make a quick decision that day. I also knew if I planed on doing the 8200 for all 11 speakers needed, I was not going to have the money. But I could afford to do 450-370s at 11 plus speakers.

I have two sets of 370 also and agree their is something missing in their performance when compared to the 450s. Different drivers and cubic volume. It is a rather subtle difference and takes some time to hear it. Do you have the 450s or 450eU2? Because the eU2 were also a further last performance THX ultra 2 tweeter upgrade from the regular 450s before they released the 8200s. Also maybe if your room is that big (grater than 3000cubic feet?) that the 450 could not fill that I can understand and must come into play.

I also felt the 8200 were much better for music than the 450s but I never intended my ATs to be used for music. The 450s sound flat, almost boring, no zing, when listening to certain types of music. Better than most THX speakers and let me tell you I have listen to every last THX speaker out there, other than the sick Teufel Theater 10 THX Ultra2 system and the newer MK 300 Ultra2 system. My music system will be in a different room and different type of speakers. The 450s seemed not as in your face bright as I found the 8200s to me when I was going back and forth with movies. I do wonder if it was a room or equipment issue and if I made a mistake. I am happy with my setup now do not have the money to go back to the 8200 again. I do wish I could do that test again in my new home theater as a direct comparison

I wonder if AT has any plans to release another new set this year. What they need is a new sub design because is it just me? There are sooooo many subs out there now that AT subs just can’t compete with for the price. I always considered their subs as their weakest link.
post #919 of 928 Old 03-12-2015, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I still use my 450's in my 7.1 setup I have 2 370 LR as the rears in a 3000 sq ft room powered by a Rotel RMB 1095 and an RB 1080 through an Anthem prepro with an SVS PB13 ultima sub This system rocks and I have no urge to change them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HT 2012 005.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	598209   Click image for larger version

Name:	HT 2012 003.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	598217   Click image for larger version

Name:	HT 2012 001.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	598225  
gamest likes this.

Last edited by Dennis Oblow; 03-12-2015 at 12:41 AM.
post #920 of 928 Old 03-12-2015, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Oblow View Post
I still use my 450's in my 7.1 setup I have 2 370 LR as the rears in a 3000 sq ft room powered by a Rotel RMB 1095 and an RB 1080 through an Anthem prepro with an SVS PB13 ultima sub This system rocks and I have no urge to change them
Very nice setup, I remember seeing your posts here before I am doing the same thing and will be posting soon. Two front 451lr and 453c, four 451lr for side rears(two setting potions), two 371lr for back rear and three pairs of 454sr to create tri-pole affect in each set of rears. I really wanted the Anthem D2v but could not afford that so went with Integra DHC 80.1. I see you also went with no AT sub. My home theater room is just under 3000.
post #921 of 928 Old 03-12-2015, 02:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamest View Post
Yeah,
I wouldn't call the 8200s bright. That might actually be a function of the amplifier.

I currently use the 8200s with the Rotel RMB 1095 and RB991....so I'm at least 200 watts going into 8 ohms all the way around.

I thought seriously about upping my amp but after finding that I could unplug my Marantz 8801 for a few minutes to clear the processor, that the sound improved significantly. Cheapest upgrade in history. lol

post #922 of 928 Old 03-12-2015, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I still have the sub, it has migrated to the bedroom anchoring some AT 4.5's
gamest likes this.
post #923 of 928 Old 03-12-2015, 05:17 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
unplug my Marantz 8801 for a few minutes to clear the processor, that the sound improved significantly. Cheapest upgrade in history. lol
Wha!? Haven't heard about this. Can I find this in the 8801 thread?

My Build Thread
post #924 of 928 Old 03-12-2015, 05:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Wha!? Haven't heard about this. Can I find this in the 8801 thread?
Its only an occasional comment that's offered up when someone is having a problem with their 8801. I think JDSmoothie posted it a couple of weeks ago. Basically, the modern day prepro is a computer that collects bad data that can be purged by unplugging the unit for a few minutes.

Since its simple enough to do, unplug yours for a few minutes and see.

post #925 of 928 Old 03-12-2015, 10:40 PM

[QUOTE=JimP;32548953]I wouldn't call the 8200s bright. That might actually be a function of the amplifier.

Well, from what I remember, maybe not bright so much but I remember thinking at least mid-y. Vocals and most of the mids to upper highs just sounded overpowering at times when I turned it up. Yes maybe the Brystons were not a good match for them. I am using the Brystons only now with the 450s and seemed to be okay with the same material. It so hard to really remember what something sounded like 2 years ago. It also could have been that room. I too had Rotels amps the RB985 older model from what you have and loved the warmth of them. Very nice smooth sounding amps. I have a felling they are a much better match for the 8200s. Please don't misunderstand my experiences (wrong or right with my preferences) the 8200 are clearly better speakers than the 450s. They have better drivers, much better crossovers, higher power-handling, much lower frequency response but due cost more. They are clearly an improvement over the 450s. Do you have a dedicated Home Theater room? If so would love to see it
post #926 of 928 Old 03-12-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Oblow View Post
I still have the sub, it has migrated to the bedroom anchoring some AT 4.5's
Oooooooh yes the 4.5s, classics. I too have two pairs of them that I plan on using later for Dolby atmos “Voice of GOD” channels. After talking to an AT engineer, I came to find out they are not 100% like 450 mid drivers but so close that they should make for an excellent "light weight given ceiling placement" match to the 450s. I glad you found a good use for the sub it is a beautiful looking sub and should match well with the 4.5s.
post #927 of 928 Old Today, 02:30 PM

As I promised, posted my build. I had some major issues with the images and had to repost them. Anyway, here is the link for those that might be interested.

Wendell Lucas THX Cinema build
post #928 of 928 Old Today, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 12
David Vaughn who writes for s&v used at speakers that are new for his atmos speaker upgrade. Good read
Allen

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
Reply Speakers

Tags
Atlantic Technology , Atlantic Technology Speakers , Atlantic Technology International Corp , Atlantic Technology 8200ec Glb Thx Ultra2 Center Channel Speaker , Atlantic Technology 4200elr Glb Speakers , Nad 2200pe Stereo Power Amplifer
Gear in this thread - 4200elr by PriceGrabber.com