Atlantic Technology owner's thread. - Page 32 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #931 of 957 Old 04-23-2015, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbolito View Post
links don't work
Sorry they worked when I posted I will try again. This is to the first article and then you can go to part 2 from there.
Allen

http://http:/
/www.soundandvision.com/content/atmos-makeover-space-odyssey-part-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 957 Old 05-28-2015, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Ok i have my 11.1 setup complete. 4400's for front three, 2200 for other 8 and svs pb-2000 subwoofer, onkyo 5010 as receiver. The movies are out of this world however just noticed that although classical rock such as pink floyd is awesome but hard rock rock music lacks that low end grunt. Is it me or is the speakers or is it the setup?
post #933 of 957 Old 07-11-2015, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Starting to look at what type of ceiling speakers needed for Atmos to complement my existing Atlantic Tech set. I have three 8200eLR for front channels and two pairs of 8200eSR for side and rear surrounds. In addition, I have a pair of 4400LR for the wide channel and pair of 4400SR for the height channel.

What is the Atlantic Tech speaker recommended for Atmos? I know about the IC-6 OBA, but I cannot cut holes in my ceiling due to sound proofing. My understanding is that the wide and height channel go away with Atmos, so I will have unused pair of 4400SR speakers...are these a good choice for Atmos height speakers? Or, would it be better to buy the 44-DA speaker and have the height channel sound bounce off the ceiling?

My Build Thread
post #934 of 957 Old 07-11-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalJackson View Post
Starting to look at what type of ceiling speakers needed for Atmos to complement my existing Atlantic Tech set. I have three 8200eLR for front channels and two pairs of 8200eSR for side and rear surrounds. In addition, I have a pair of 4400LR for the wide channel and pair of 4400SR for the height channel.

What is the Atlantic Tech speaker recommended for Atmos? I know about the IC-6 OBA, but I cannot cut holes in my ceiling due to sound proofing. My understanding is that the wide and height channel go away with Atmos, so I will have unused pair of 4400SR speakers...are these a good choice for Atmos height speakers? Or, would it be better to buy the 44-DA speaker and have the height channel sound bounce off the ceiling?
To add - my ceiling height is 9' in front of room and 8' at back.

My Build Thread
post #935 of 957 Old 07-11-2015, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Just wanted to chime in. I used to own a full 450 system way back when. For movies, they were stellar. Awesome. For music, I was not a fan. So I replaced my system with Energy Veritas and have had them since 03' or so. I ended up becoming a dealer for AT and sold a ton of the 6200 and 8200's. Again, great for movies but just not for me with music. But all my clients were wanting them for theater systems so no big deal. Only issue I ever had was with their outboard sub amp. It was a full 6200 system with the 10" subs in the towers. When we fired the system up to test and calibrate, the amp turned into a smoke bomb! This was an upstairs theater room and was completely filled with smoke. It sucked! Quick drive to my distributor and we had a new amp. Plugged it in and all was good to go, we just got a bad one I guess. Boy, the smell of burnt electronics is a unique smell!
As far as the 450 system, still my favorite center channel ever. I scan craigslist and ebay often for one. That is my only regret, letting that center go. I just figured I better match my Veritas so I grabbed that center and sold the 450 center. Been hunting one down ever since. Dialog is perfection with that center. Something the 6200 and 8200 has never come close to. IMO
I do still have the 450 15" sub. It has been in and out of my system many times. It sits now as a rear sub. Still plays fine as long as it isn't pushed. Either the amp is crapping out or the driver is. Turning the gain knob on front to adjust the output results in the scatchy noise. Could just be a scratchy pot knob. ut if I allow the sub to pound, it seems to bottom out rather easily. So for now, I jus keep it real low right behind my couch and it works fine and helps balance out the bass.
My plan is to swap the driver for an Ultimax 15" and either swap the plate amp or leave it and just turn it into a passive enclosure and run an inuke 3000dsp for power. The enclosure is nice looking with the gloss black, still looks great. I believe it is roughly 3cuft inside. So may not use the UM 15" as it is best suited for 4cuft. So may look for some other suitable driver for it.
AT is a great company though from my experiences. My old business partner also had the 450 system. Still runs the surrounds. When he had failed drivers, after a phone call, he was sent all new drivers even though only a couple were blown. So he was sitting with plenty of backup drivers. That is awesome!

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" Screen~Onkyo TX-NR3008(Pre/Pro)
Earthquake Sound Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Oppo BDP-103 ~ Xbox One
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas 2.2i (mains) & Veritas 2.0ic (center) ~ Veritas 2.1(Front Wides)
Energy RC-70 & CAT Tiburons(Surrounds)~ Sub 15" Diamond Audio Technology-iNuke 6000
post #936 of 957 Old 07-11-2015, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Well, I am going to be going down the same road as you soon. Firstly, I would not recomend the 44-DA speakers as I have not found any of the reflections radiators to sound good. I have a similar problem, I have a ceiling star field in the way. So I will have to find a way to mount in side the star field with out destroying the nice look of all those stars. I have heard the IC-6 OBA and they sound really nice for inwalls. I am sure that is what AT would tell you to buy for your system. Would you be willing to just hang speakers on the ceiling? Sounds like some 4400 would work well, if you have not had any problems merging them with the 8200s? That really is the best sound quality solution. Oh, also I think DTS X (new competition with Atmos to come out soon) will allow for an added 5-7 speakers all around the room just placed higher then the 5-7 you already have there for the same effects. No need for the "voice of god channels" in the ceiling. I am not sure on this but we will see.
post #937 of 957 Old 07-11-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
Just wanted to chime in. I used to own a full 450 system way back when. For movies, they were stellar. Awesome. For music, I was not a fan. So I replaced my system with Energy Veritas and have had them since 03' or so. I ended up becoming a dealer for AT and sold a ton of the 6200 and 8200's. Again, great for movies but just not for me with music. But all my clients were wanting them for theater systems so no big deal. Only issue I ever had was with their outboard sub amp. It was a full 6200 system with the 10" subs in the towers. When we fired the system up to test and calibrate, the amp turned into a smoke bomb! This was an upstairs theater room and was completely filled with smoke. It sucked! Quick drive to my distributor and we had a new amp. Plugged it in and all was good to go, we just got a bad one I guess. Boy, the smell of burnt electronics is a unique smell!
As far as the 450 system, still my favorite center channel ever. I scan craigslist and ebay often for one. That is my only regret, letting that center go. I just figured I better match my Veritas so I grabbed that center and sold the 450 center. Been hunting one down ever since. Dialog is perfection with that center. Something the 6200 and 8200 has never come close to. IMO
I do still have the 450 15" sub. It has been in and out of my system many times. It sits now as a rear sub. Still plays fine as long as it isn't pushed. Either the amp is crapping out or the driver is. Turning the gain knob on front to adjust the output results in the scatchy noise. Could just be a scratchy pot knob. ut if I allow the sub to pound, it seems to bottom out rather easily. So for now, I jus keep it real low right behind my couch and it works fine and helps balance out the bass.
My plan is to swap the driver for an Ultimax 15" and either swap the plate amp or leave it and just turn it into a passive enclosure and run an inuke 3000dsp for power. The enclosure is nice looking with the gloss black, still looks great. I believe it is roughly 3cuft inside. So may not use the UM 15" as it is best suited for 4cuft. So may look for some other suitable driver for it.
AT is a great company though from my experiences. My old business partner also had the 450 system. Still runs the surrounds. When he had failed drivers, after a phone call, he was sent all new drivers even though only a couple were blown. So he was sitting with plenty of backup drivers. That is awesome!
That suck about the sub amp tho I always new the AT subs were their weakest link by far! I could not agree more on you experiences with the 450s. They really have a sound that for some reasons the later models just don't sound the same. Just different, the 450s seem more warm but also more dynamic and clear at times than my 8200. So I sold them and bought more 450s. Thats why I still use them to this day. I am always looking for another center and more so the fronts 451eU2. For the next audio formats like DTS X. Soooooo hard to find someone willing to sell them, I hope I don't have to bid against you in some future auction LOL.
post #938 of 957 Old 07-11-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamest View Post
Well, I am going to be going down the same road as you soon. Firstly, I would not recomend the 44-DA speakers as I have not found any of the reflections radiators to sound good. I have a similar problem, I have a ceiling star field in the way. So I will have to find a way to mount in side the star field with out destroying the nice look of all those stars. I have heard the IC-6 OBA and they sound really nice for inwalls. I am sure that is what AT would tell you to buy for your system. Would you be willing to just hang speakers on the ceiling? Sounds like some 4400 would work well, if you have not had any problems merging them with the 8200s? That really is the best sound quality solution. Oh, also I think DTS X (new competition with Atmos to come out soon) will allow for an added 5-7 speakers all around the room just placed higher then the 5-7 you already have there for the same effects. No need for the "voice of god channels" in the ceiling. I am not sure on this but we will see.
I'm fine with having a speaker mounted on the ceiling. I also have a starfield, so I think the black boxes would blend into the ceiling somewhat. Used as a front height speaker, the sound from the 4400SR blends perfectly with other 8200e speakers. I guess the challenge is getting the 4400SR mounted securely since it was not meant to be on the ceiling.

My Build Thread
post #939 of 957 Old 07-11-2015, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have a 450 system that I bought new. I have made many changes to my gear since then, but I never had the urge to change these speakers. Later I added a pair of 370's for rears to make a 7.1 system, and added an SVS PB13 Ultra sub as well. For home theater, I don't think anything touches them. For music I always thought the top end was laid back a little. I recently got a Emotiva XMC-1 Processor with Dirac. After running Dirac, I thought I had gotten new tweeters installed in the system, the upper end that it lacked was there in spades,and the soundstage widened even more than before. Sometimes the old gear is better than the new stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HT 2012 005.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	825146   Click image for larger version

Name:	HT 2012 001.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	825154   Click image for larger version

Name:	HT 2012 002.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	825162   Click image for larger version

Name:	HT 2012 003.jpg
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	825170   Click image for larger version

Name:	HT 2012 006.jpg
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	825178  

gamest likes this.

Last edited by Dennis Oblow; 07-11-2015 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Adding pictures
post #940 of 957 Old 07-11-2015, 07:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 321
What would a 451 center channel go for?
post #941 of 957 Old 07-12-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I'm fine with having a speaker mounted on the ceiling. I also have a starfield, so I think the black boxes would blend into the ceiling somewhat. Used as a front height speaker, the sound from the 4400SR blends perfectly with other 8200e speakers. I guess the challenge is getting the 4400SR mounted securely since it was not meant to be on the ceiling.
Wow! your starfield is much nicer than mine but I have three times the stars Anyway, we both have some major decisions to make on a work around if we are going to do the ceiling speakers. I am going to wait till DTS X comes out for the next Integra DHC preamp in October. But if I do still need to have ceiling speakers I have been thinking on how I can cut out the areas of foam I used in the ceiling and add AT 4.5(they are smaller 450s with out the THX horizontal dispersion tweeters that make for a wider angle needed for Atmos ceiling speakers) there, then cove/patch with speakers grill like material. Maybe even let a few stars go through the speaker grills. I cant remember how deep the 4400 are? Do you think you have the room for those behind your wooden starfeild frames?
post #942 of 957 Old 07-12-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Oblow View Post
I have a 450 system that I bought new. I have made many changes to my gear since then, but I never had the urge to change these speakers. Later I added a pair of 370's for rears to make a 7.1 system, and added an SVS PB13 Ultra sub as well. For home theater, I don't think anything touches them. For music I always thought the top end was laid back a little. I recently got a Emotiva XMC-1 Processor with Dirac. After running Dirac, I thought I had gotten new tweeters installed in the system, the upper end that it lacked was there in spades,and the soundstage widened even more than before. Sometimes the old gear is better than the new stuff.
Dennis,
You might not remember this, but I remember sending you and offer for your 451lr back in 2009 under a different user name. Understandably, you said "no thanks" LOL. If you change your mind just let me know PM, and amount you are looking to get? Also, I had never seen the unfinished versions of them till you had posted them back then.

Last edited by gamest; 07-12-2015 at 10:23 AM.
post #943 of 957 Old 07-12-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
What would a 451 center channel go for?
Well, that is hard to say. I can tell you what I have seen them go for on ebay and craigslist. I rather not say what I payed for them.

The 373 center seems to go for around $100-250
The 453 (THX)around $100-350
The 453e (enhanced crossover and drivers, also THX ultra) around $200-400
The 453eU2 (Short limited release before 8200s and are enhanced tweeters THX ultra2) $200-450

I am sure they have gone for more or less than these values over the years given the sets were around $4k-5k new back in 1999-2003. But these are what I have seen them sold for here and there over the years, Oh and without shipping costs. The front 451lrs go for far more, more sought after.

Last edited by gamest; 07-12-2015 at 10:23 AM.
post #944 of 957 Old 07-12-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Wow! your starfield is much nicer than mine but I have three times the stars
Oh, that's fine with me. I don't think I could have handled installing three times as many stars! I found running all that fiber optic cable to be an unpleasant experience.

Quote:
Anyway, we both have some major decisions to make on a work around if we are going to do the ceiling speakers. I am going to wait till DTS X comes out for the next Integra DHC preamp in October. But if I do still need to have ceiling speakers I have been thinking on how I can cut out the areas of foam I used in the ceiling and add AT 4.5(they are smaller 450s with out the THX horizontal dispersion tweeters that make for a wider angle needed for Atmos ceiling speakers) there, then cove/patch with speakers grill like material. Maybe even let a few stars go through the speaker grills. I cant remember how deep the 4400 are? Do you think you have the room for those behind your wooden starfeild frames?
The 4400SR is 7.5" deep. I only have 1" of space behind the starfield panels, so no flush mounting. I'm also waiting out DTS X to see home speaker configurations, but want to start buying extra speakers as I find them used. Easier to get this all past the Eye of Sauron (my wife) if I do it as a slow roll.

My Build Thread
post #945 of 957 Old 07-13-2015, 11:09 AM

I asked Atlantic Tech about using a 4400SR as a ceiling speaker. Response below in blue (in case anyone wants to try it before me) -

The "safe" answer for me to give you is to use 44-DA's, placed on top of
your existing 8200's. The "off the wall"answer which addresses your
specific question is that you may be able to get reasonable results by
mounting your existing 4400SR's on the surface of the ceiling by using some
type of brackets. These would be oriented so that thedrivers which would
norrmally face towards the front of the room would be aimed towards you, and
the drivers which would normally face towards the rear of the room would be
aimed away from you. These would be the rough equivalent of
surface-mounting the 6-OBA's, and would be located in the same position.
For reference, the 6-OBA manual is attached.

Please note that I haven't tried this myself, so I can't guarantee that
this will work absolutely, superbly wonderfully, but it should be OK.

My Build Thread
post #946 of 957 Old 07-13-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I asked Atlantic Tech about using a 4400SR as a ceiling speaker. Response below in blue (in case anyone wants to try it before me) -

The "safe" answer for me to give you is to use 44-DA's, placed on top of
your existing 8200's. The "off the wall"answer which addresses your
specific question is that you may be able to get reasonable results by
mounting your existing 4400SR's on the surface of the ceiling by using some
type of brackets. These would be oriented so that thedrivers which would
norrmally face towards the front of the room would be aimed towards you, and
the drivers which would normally face towards the rear of the room would be
aimed away from you. These would be the rough equivalent of
surface-mounting the 6-OBA's, and would be located in the same position.
For reference, the 6-OBA manual is attached.

Please note that I haven't tried this myself, so I can't guarantee that
this will work absolutely, superbly wonderfully, but it should be OK.
Just fyi note: for your set up and mine the 44-DA's are not even an option. Because given our set ups they would be null and void to produce the effects needed off the ceiling. What I mean is, we have a covered fabric ceiling that has no mids/highs reflection capability. I would guess 80% of 300hz and up is absorbed by this material covering the ceiling. Also your 8200's are behind an acoustically transparent screen. I am not sure how well they would fire out and up from those positions. Others could use them that way but even then I have heard the difference between the two. The direct radiating speakers sound so much better and do the job as Atmos really intended.
post #947 of 957 Old 07-14-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Just fyi note: for your set up and mine the 44-DA's are not even an option. Because given our set ups they would be null and void to produce the effects needed off the ceiling. What I mean is, we have a covered fabric ceiling that has no mids/highs reflection capability. I would guess 80% of 300hz and up is absorbed by this material covering the ceiling. Also your 8200's are behind an acoustically transparent screen. I am not sure how well they would fire out and up from those positions. Others could use them that way but even then I have heard the difference between the two. The direct radiating speakers sound so much better and do the job as Atmos really intended.
Yeah, I don't think the 44-DA or any other reflection option would work well with the fabric covered ceiling. My first reflection point on the the ceiling is mineral wool under the fabric, so would definitely have poor sound reflection from that section. I see the 44-DA as a last resort if nothing else is possible. I'm also considering using the Atlantic Tech IC-6 OBA and building a surface mounted speaker box for each one. Atlantic Tech says the IC-6 only needs about 0.4 cu ft of space.

My Build Thread
post #948 of 957 Old 07-24-2015, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Just looking into Atlantic tec speakers. Looking for something that plays reference easily and would keep up with my twelve 18" subs.

I saw the 6200eLR-BLK for around 900 and the 8200 for $1500 ish each.

The speakers would be put behind a AT screen inside a baffle wall. Are these sealed speaker? They dont appear to be front ported.

I am also considering some JBL 4722, Triad Golds/silver and Mk s-150II.

At the moment I am running klipsch rf-7 and rc-64II for LRC but they cant be used in a baffle wall configuration.
post #949 of 957 Old 07-24-2015, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 321
lemonslush

Won't twelve 18" subs cause kidney damage?
post #950 of 957 Old 07-24-2015, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
lemonslush

Won't twelve 18" subs cause kidney damage?
No but they can kill small animals at close range. I have about 14,000 rms going to them. And several dedicated 20amp lines.

I just got off the phone with AT, they said at first. "dont buy our speakers buy jbl pro". But after some more chatting they said the 8200 could work assuming I didnt need it louder than 105db with 10 db of head room. I think that might be OK. But my subs can do well over 120db @20hz easily at my seating position.... My measurement was taken at -15 db on the receiver. No eq or smoothing. Room is getting redesigned so I didnt bother trying to clean up the dip around 50hz.

BUT I dont actually listen to movies that loud or really anything for more than a few seconds cause I would go def. 120 db of bass hurts way less than 105db of highs. I went to concert this past week and was very close to the stage. My cellphone DB meter showed 105 db constant and I was wearing ear protection and it was still loud.

My goal is to get more hi-fi sound than just using a JBL screen array. The Atlantic office is only 45 minutes from my house but they said I couldn't come by for a demo. They did offer me a discount on speakers cause I can pick them up in person. save on shipping. They actually suggested ordering them on amazon to try them out.

post #951 of 957 Old 07-24-2015, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I've had a System 350 THX (5.0 + Snell THX Ultra2 sub) for forever and have always really enjoyed them. I've recently stumbled upon a local dealer that (amazingly, given the age) still has a brand new 370 THX system available...but they are absolutely not willing to give them away. It would basically cost me a bit over $2000 including peds/stands (again, 5.0 without the sub...so 371LR + 371PED + 373C + 374SR + 374PED).

Anyone think it's worth it?

It's just expensive enough to make me say no thanks (if it were half the price, there would be no question). However, the only other speaker replacements I would even consider would cost 3x to 4x more (GoldenEar, etc.).

Am I too nostalgic about these older systems, or can they still compete with the new guys (even with high-res audio and possibly eventually coupled with elevation speakers)?

Thanks for your thoughts!

post #952 of 957 Old 07-24-2015, 09:45 PM

I have a 450 system since brand new, and I have no intention of parting with them. The 370's have a similar structure. These are sealed speakers rather than ported, which most newer speakers are. This means that placement is easier as you can put them closer to a wall than ported speakers without screwing up the base. This is important if mounting the surrounds on a side wall or in a bookshelf. These are optimized for movies, and are a little laid back for music. A similar quality system would probably be in the 4k and up range, but I'm sure after all this time there would be no warranty available. I hope this helps
DigitalAV likes this.
post #953 of 957 Old 07-24-2015, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Oblow View Post
A similar quality system would probably be in the 4k and up range
Which systems would you say are comparable at $4k?

post #954 of 957 Old Yesterday, 07:04 AM

The system I think is most comparable is the SVS Ultra 5.0 (2 Towers, 2 Surrounds, 1 center ) @ 3895 Add 2 bookshelf speakers for a 7.0 setup totals 4893

The second system is an Aperion Verus Grand 5.0 @3296, or 7.0 @ 4893
DigitalAV likes this.
post #955 of 957 Old Today, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
Just looking into Atlantic tec speakers. Looking for something that plays reference easily and would keep up with my twelve 18" subs.

I saw the 6200eLR-BLK for around 900 and the 8200 for $1500 ish each.

The speakers would be put behind a AT screen inside a baffle wall. Are these sealed speaker? They dont appear to be front ported.

I am also considering some JBL 4722, Triad Golds/silver and Mk s-150II.

At the moment I am running klipsch rf-7 and rc-64II for LRC but they cant be used in a baffle wall configuration.
Given the SPL levels of those subs, I would not recommend any of the ATs None have sensitivity's levels over 1watt 91db@ 1m. JBLs I think are up there in sensitivity but can be harsh to some so listen before you buy. Again, Triads golds are really nice but still have low sensitivity and would not mate well with your SPL levels. MK 150s? I don't understand the fascination with these speakers. They sound nice but they are NOT load speakers, they are near field monitors. Hence, designed for very close accurate studio reproduction(and they do that so much better than most monitors). If you sit more then 2meters away from them, they sound really weak and boring. They have that I am struggling sound at high volumes. I have heard almost every THX speaker made but for the new MK S300 Ultra2s. I was told they are far more like a loudspeaker, so I cant comment on those.

Then we have Klipsch the speakers you are using now. Something on the klipsch line should be a good match, or JTRs, and other high SPL speakers. I will tell you, the best high sensitive speaker "I have ever heard" was the "Klipsch Academy center channel" With that speaker I NEVER at ANY volume level low or high, would go "what did he say?" amazing speaker! designed around a horn similar to the human voice cord or larynx. I at once point even considered trying to find and buy seven for all channels. Good luck with that, finding even one for sale is crazy hard. Klipsch fans don't let them go easily. Let us know what you end up going with?
post #956 of 957 Old Today, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalAV View Post
I've had a System 350 THX (5.0 + Snell THX Ultra2 sub) for forever and have always really enjoyed them. I've recently stumbled upon a local dealer that (amazingly, given the age) still has a brand new 370 THX system available...but they are absolutely not willing to give them away. It would basically cost me a bit over $2000 including peds/stands (again, 5.0 without the sub...so 371LR + 371PED + 373C + 374SR + 374PED).

Anyone think it's worth it?

It's just expensive enough to make me say no thanks (if it were half the price, there would be no question). However, the only other speaker replacements I would even consider would cost 3x to 4x more (GoldenEar, etc.).

Am I too nostalgic about these older systems, or can they still compete with the new guys (even with high-res audio and possibly eventually coupled with elevation speakers)?

Thanks for your thoughts!
You are not being too nostalgic about these older systems. I don't think they are worth $2000 still, well.......maybe if it was 7 total, two extra 371lr for back rears at $2k no subs(I don't think you want them anyway). But I will say, their are very few speaker packages that work and sound as good together as the 370 for that price. When it comes to home theater..............

Dennis is right, the AT 370/450 are way to layed back for music compaired with soooooo many other better options. They were designed to put to shame all the really bad expensive THX home theater speakers of the 90's, and did. Its funny how many company's I could name that completely copied this 3 way crossover design after it won all those awards back then.
post #957 of 957 Old Today, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Given the SPL levels of those subs, I would not recommend any of the ATs None have sensitivity's levels over 1watt 91db@ 1m. JBLs I think are up there in sensitivity but can be harsh to some so listen before you buy. Again, Triads golds are really nice but still have low sensitivity and would not mate well with your SPL levels. MK 150s? I don't understand the fascination with these speakers. They sound nice but they are NOT load speakers, they are near field monitors. Hence, designed for very close accurate studio reproduction(and they do that so much better than most monitors). If you sit more then 2meters away from them, they sound really weak and boring. They have that I am struggling sound at high volumes. I have heard almost every THX speaker made but for the new MK S300 Ultra2s. I was told they are far more like a loudspeaker, so I cant comment on those.

Then we have Klipsch the speakers you are using now. Something on the klipsch line should be a good match, or JTRs, and other high SPL speakers. I will tell you, the best high sensitive speaker "I have ever heard" was the "Klipsch Academy center channel" With that speaker I NEVER at ANY volume level low or high, would go "what did he say?" amazing speaker! designed around a horn similar to the human voice cord or larynx. I at once point even considered trying to find and buy seven for all channels. Good luck with that, finding even one for sale is crazy hard. Klipsch fans don't let them go easily. Let us know what you end up going with?
Thanks for the comments, I was wondering how the m&k's worked out and it would make sense they excel as monitors because they are monitors. They do sell them as "home audio" speakers. I personally like the sound of Klipsch and horned speakers but, didnt want to box myself into just looking at those types and try to keep a open mind with things.

The 8200 maybe just maybe would keep up. Not that I listen to music over 85-90db normally. But its always good to have that headroom and have it all balance out in the end. To bad I cant demo the JBL cinema or QSC cinema stuff. Its very affordable and effortlessly could make me def .
Reply Speakers

Tags
Atlantic Technology , Atlantic Technology Speakers , Atlantic Technology International Corp , Atlantic Technology 8200ec Glb Thx Ultra2 Center Channel Speaker , Atlantic Technology 4200elr Glb Speakers , Nad 2200pe Stereo Power Amplifer
Gear in this thread