Atlantic Technology owner's thread. - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #991 of 1013 Old 03-27-2016, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you for the reply and info! My HT layout is attached for reference. BTW, There is a large window on the left side that the boss said I can't remove . So it will have room-blackening window treatments and drapes to close it off when the HT is in use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamest View Post
??? vertically or horizontally YES?? Well, mount them(side rears and back rears) around ear level, maybe a little high. But not by much, around one to two inc from fronts.
The reason I asked about mounting the surround vertically or horizontally in the wall is the IW-30 can do either with the Mid-Tweet-Mid component rotatable. Will vertical installation sound better than horizontal? Any difference in sound? What would you suggest for vertical vs. horizontal installation? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AT IW-30.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1341818   Click image for larger version

Name:	HT Design.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	1341842  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1013 Old 03-27-2016, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEllison95 View Post
Will vertical installation sound better than horizontal? Any difference in sound? What would you suggest for vertical vs. horizontal installation? Thanks!
Oh, right. I understand what you are saying now. Well in theory the difference is negotiable, but I personal would still go horizontal with 8" driver on the far back side away from window and the MTM drivers array on the closest to the window side. Whatever you do, do NOT mount the speaker box in a manner where the MTM array is not straight up and down. This is why the speaker allows the 8" driver to move so the MTM always stays vertically via THX specs for limited vertical dispersion.

Also note: I added image for something I would change in the In-ceiling speaker locations. This is the hardest part to get right with Atmos. If the main listing position is in the middle of that couch than I would move them back. Try and produce a sphere of sound is the idea. But the height speakers should be inline with front speakers and pointing down at approx 45 degrees to the main listing position.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HT Design.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	1342226  
post #993 of 1013 Old 03-27-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Oh, right. I understand what you are saying now. Well in theory the difference is negotiable, but I personal would still go horizontal with 8" driver on the far back side away from window and the MTM drivers array on the closest to the window side. Whatever you do, do NOT mount the speaker box in a manner where the MTM array is not straight up and down. This is why the speaker allows the 8" driver to move so the MTM always stays vertically via THX specs for limited vertical dispersion.

Also note: I added image for something I would change in the In-ceiling speaker locations. This is the hardest part to get right with Atmos. If the main listing position is in the middle of that couch than I would move them back. Try and produce a sphere of sound is the idea. But the height speakers should be inline with front speakers and pointing down at approx 45 degrees to the main listing position.
Thank you so much for the reply and the advice/information on the in-walls and relocation of the ceiling speakers! Much appreciated - now off to order the IW-30's!

Cheers!

post #994 of 1013 Old 03-28-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEllison95 View Post
Thank you so much for the reply and the advice/information on the in-walls and relocation of the ceiling speakers! Much appreciated - now off to order the IW-30's!

Cheers!
Anytime and lets us know how it goes. When you are done, come back here and post some pics for us, or start a build thread.
post #995 of 1013 Old 12-28-2016, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Glad I found this thread. I am in the process of designing my home theater for my basement. Earlier this year I picked up 6200 for front, center and right, and the 4400 for the surround. The current system in the family room is a 7.1. I'm using my old Klipsch 12in, can't remember model number off hand. Powering everything is a Denon 4806Ci. Love the receiver and it is a perfect match for the AT.

Now that I am completing my basement I have narrowed down to the components I plan on purchasing but I have some speaker questions.

Here's the shopping list:

Onkyo TX-RZ3100
IW-30s for Right and Left fronts
IW-SRs for the surrounds.
642eSB 12"

My question is about the center channel. I was looking at doing IW-30s for the center channel also, then I saw the IW-155. Anyone have any experience with the IW-155? Sound wise, how do they compare?

Other information:

The size of the room that I am working with is roughly 18 x 25, with an open back. Ceiling height will be between 8 and 9 feet. I have to get creative with the back surround since the back is open.

I have a blank slate, so the sky is truly the limit
post #996 of 1013 Old 12-30-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthswan View Post
Glad I found this thread. I am in the process of designing my home theater for my basement. Earlier this year I picked up 6200 for front, center and right, and the 4400 for the surround. The current system in the family room is a 7.1. I'm using my old Klipsch 12in, can't remember model number off hand. Powering everything is a Denon 4806Ci. Love the receiver and it is a perfect match for the AT.

Now that I am completing my basement I have narrowed down to the components I plan on purchasing but I have some speaker questions.

Here's the shopping list:

Onkyo TX-RZ3100
IW-30s for Right and Left fronts
IW-SRs for the surrounds.
642eSB 12"

My question is about the center channel. I was looking at doing IW-30s for the center channel also, then I saw the IW-155. Anyone have any experience with the IW-155? Sound wise, how do they compare?

Other information:

The size of the room that I am working with is roughly 18 x 25, with an open back. Ceiling height will be between 8 and 9 feet. I have to get creative with the back surround since the back is open.

I have a blank slate, so the sky is truly the limit
Okay cool, well first to answer your question. The IW-155 have a very different sound then the IW-30s. They are more mid-y sounding I would say and okay for dialog I guess. Well.... they sound much like the 6200s(Same drivers I believe but different crossovers and tweeter) but SPL 1watt@1meter is lower I think. Also the IW-155 can not reproduce the horizontal off-axis imaging that a IW-30 can. They are no IW-30s, and I swear they were THX select certified not Ultra2 like the IW-30s but I looked on the AT website and sure enough, I guess I am wrong. Sill, the IW-30 are MUCH better sounding in all regards. It is also very important to have the front sound stage all the same speakers anyway. Trust me, this is something you want, if you can afford to do it.

If you want some other advice?
I would drop the 642eSB sub for something SOoooooo much better in that price range. It is not really a bad sub but today you can do so much better for the price. I dont know why, but as much as I love AT speakers, AT subs I do not and is something they really need to work on

Also, given that you are going with a Onkyo TX-RZ3100 have you considered doing Atmos/DTS:X or any object based audio? You have basically the same room dimensions as I, but a little higher ceilings(GOD I wish I had 9 foot ceilings) and I will tell you...... it is a game changer. I cant imagine going back to a flat 7.1 surround sound. I dont want to LOL. If so, you should really think about front and back ceiling speakers that will really add a complexity to your design but it is SOOooo worth it. Just saying

Sorry, correction the IW-155 are 5 1/4" drivers not 6 1/2" like the 6200s. They really are different speakers.

Last edited by gamest; 12-30-2016 at 10:01 AM.
post #997 of 1013 Old 12-30-2016, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for the response.

I saw that they were THX select and not ultra, so I was curious. I'll continue my plan with going with the IW-30s like planned.

Only reason I'm going with that sub, is due to the price I get through my buying club. Almost half price. What don't you like about the subs? Direct Buy has very nice prices on AT.

I am going with the 7.1.4. I'm on the fence for a 7.2.4. Everything I read is on the fence, some say you need a second sub, some don't.

I'm glad I am doing all of my homework now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #998 of 1013 Old 12-31-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the response.

I saw that they were THX select and not ultra, so I was curious. I'll continue my plan with going with the IW-30s like planned.

Only reason I'm going with that sub, is due to the price I get through my buying club. Almost half price. What don't you like about the subs? Direct Buy has very nice prices on AT.

I am going with the 7.1.4. I'm on the fence for a 7.2.4. Everything I read is on the fence, some say you need a second sub, some don't.

Well, even at half the price, and that is good, I would still not buy one. They are not bad subs just okay. They are not muddy nor bad SN ratio/distortion, and they do have good SPL output. I would just say when you hear any of the newer subs being made these days the AT subs sound so 90's. These newer DSP driven subs have a punch to them that none of the older stuff can compete with. I would not say that about regular main older speakers but sub driven amp technology I would. Two subs would be better for evening out the room responce and all but I think it is more important to buy one that is just really good and add a second later. With that being said, if you can afford one, get a Seaton F18 or regular SubmersiveHP (That is what I went with and it is a monster! it made my dual Velodyne DD18 sound anemic so I sold them. I have owned a lot of subs over the years but this thing is really in a league of its own, and mates well with almost any main speakers) or JTR S1, S2 and many others or if cost is really and issue ANY of the SVS subs are great bargains. I hope that helps and as I always say...... post a build thread so we can see your progress inquiring minds want to see.
post #999 of 1013 Old 12-31-2016, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Okay cool, well first to answer your question. The IW-155 have a very different sound then the IW-30s. They are more mid-y sounding I would say and okay for dialog I guess. Well.... they sound much like the 6200s(Same drivers I believe but different crossovers and tweeter) but SPL 1watt@1meter is lower I think. Also the IW-155 can not reproduce the horizontal off-axis imaging that a IW-30 can. They are no IW-30s, and I swear they were THX select certified not Ultra2 like the IW-30s but I looked on the AT website and sure enough, I guess I am wrong. Sill, the IW-30 are MUCH better sounding in all regards. It is also very important to have the front sound stage all the same speakers anyway. Trust me, this is something you want, if you can afford to do it.

If you want some other advice?
I would drop the 642eSB sub for something SOoooooo much better in that price range. It is not really a bad sub but today you can do so much better for the price. I dont know why, but as much as I love AT speakers, AT subs I do not and is something they really need to work on

Also, given that you are going with a Onkyo TX-RZ3100 have you considered doing Atmos/DTS:X or any object based audio? You have basically the same room dimensions as I, but a little higher ceilings(GOD I wish I had 9 foot ceilings) and I will tell you...... it is a game changer. I cant imagine going back to a flat 7.1 surround sound. I dont want to LOL. If so, you should really think about front and back ceiling speakers that will really add a complexity to your design but it is SOOooo worth it. Just saying

Sorry, correction the IW-155 are 5 1/4" drivers not 6 1/2" like the 6200s. They really are different speakers.
Quote:
Thanks for the response.

Regarding the subs.....

I've installed quite a few of the AT subwoofers but it's been 4 or 5 years since the last one. If I recall, they are THX Select rated but when you corner load 2 of them the output meets THX Ultra2 spec. I believe that's how it was explained to me by their rep when I asked.

Yes, basically their subs (and all of AT's products, really) are a big black box. They have a dated motion filtering technology that reduces distortion on board. I disagree with the idea that amps and software/DSP's are major improvements to a subs performance in actual real world applications. I don't always use this feature when setting a system up, but there are a lot of receivers in the market now that will do the bass EQ as well. So to have two EQ for bass is redundant and unnecessary, especially since the receiver's EQ will be run last and basically trump the sub's.

I think the AT 642e sub is super outdated in terms of aesthetic looks and it's overpriced, IMO. Especially in the cabinet department. But it performs basically like most other large box sealed subs. Something I like much better for a brick and mortar sub is the Jamo D 600 Subwoofer. That sub is a THX Ultra2 certified 15" that kills the AT sub. See if they have Jamo at DirectBuy and maybe consider that? The only negative is that aesthetically the AT 642e matches the rest of the system and the Jamo will be more of a charcoal grey. Here's a link to it: http://www.jamo.com/speakers/subwoofer/?sku=D600SUB

Another option that would be cheaper and better for movies than the 642e is the Sunfire HRS12. It's a tiny, gloss piano black box that houses a 12" driver and is a very strong performer.
post #1000 of 1013 Old 02-02-2017, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I recently moved and inherited the Atlantic 4200e C and LR speakers. Rears are in ceiling, no idea what they are.

I already own a fairly new set of Infinity speakers. I haven't been able to tune the Atlantic speakers yet, just wanted to get some feedback in hopes to decide which ones I should be moving forward with.

I've never owned any THX certified speakers like the Atlantic set.

The more I read about the 4200e set, the more good things I hear about. These speakers are just much older than the Infinity speakers.

Room size is a rectangle, 12 ft x 18, with one of the long areas opening up to the rest of the house. I mostly tune in for movies.

Center: Infinity PC351
3/4" MMD dome tweeter
dual 3" MMD midranges
dual 5-1/4" MMD woofers

Fronts: Infinity P363
3/4" MMD dome tweeter
4" MMD midrange
dual 6-1/2" MMD woofers

HSU VTF-15H MK2 Sub
Atlantic 642 Sub
post #1001 of 1013 Old 02-16-2017, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
keep the Atlantics, ditch the Infinitys... I have recently purchased used AT 2200 Center channel and matching left/rights, they sound bigger than they really are...oh and they get loud like very loud. I just won another AT speaker on ebay and this one was made in 1999 its a 373C with 2 6.5in woofers and 2 3in mid and 1 tweeter and from the reviews I have read its an awesome speaker can wait to get that one in next week. I have two sound systems, one is all EPOS that is upstairs in my family room and the AT are in the basement. IF i like this old speaker, I may sell my epos completely.
post #1002 of 1013 Old 02-17-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancein View Post
keep the Atlantics, ditch the Infinitys... I have recently purchased used AT 2200 Center channel and matching left/rights, they sound bigger than they really are...oh and they get loud like very loud. I just won another AT speaker on ebay and this one was made in 1999 its a 373C with 2 6.5in woofers and 2 3in mid and 1 tweeter and from the reviews I have read its an awesome speaker can wait to get that one in next week. I have two sound systems, one is all EPOS that is upstairs in my family room and the AT are in the basement. IF i like this old speaker, I may sell my epos completely.
Oh, well I am sure you will love the 373C over the AT 2200........ and if you are interested I will be selling my extra three 371LR speakers here soon. The 370-450e series speakers are a unknown gem of speaker system. Just because something is old does not in anyway make it bad or outdated. Sometimes the newer version of a speaker will not have the same sound but well....... just different sound. I almost went with the 8200 series(most expensive and newer AT speakers) and personally found the 450eU2 to sound better in many ways for me....... just saying
post #1003 of 1013 Old 02-23-2017, 10:40 AM

I maybe interested in the 371 L/R, what you asking for them?
post #1004 of 1013 Old 02-23-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancein View Post
I maybe interested in the 371 L/R, what you asking for them?
I have three of them for sell now and I was thinking $200 each is reasonable. Just FYI, I might be doing a MAJOR upgrade soon(JBL 4722N monsters ) and hence, I would be selling all my AT stuff. I know, say at so......
If I end up doing that the list for sale would be,

Four -> THX Atlantic Technology 453eU2 Centers
Four -> THX Atlantic Technology 451eU2 Left/Rights
Six -> THX Atlantic Technology 454eU2 dipole left/right rears
Two -> THX Atlantic Technology 371eU2 upgraded left/rights MTM arrays
Four -> THX Atlantic Technology 371LR older left/rights

Yeah....... as you can see I am a big AT fan and it will be hard to let them all go
post #1005 of 1013 Old 02-24-2017, 08:19 AM

dang! when you are ready just send me a PM.
post #1006 of 1013 Old 04-04-2017, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am wanting to know if the 350 series speakers are still a good choice, or are they old enough to start having issues.
post #1007 of 1013 Old 04-28-2017, 03:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hi, I have in my set up a Yamaha RXA 1060, and Klipsch RP mains and surround, I have yet to add in ceiling speakers to complete an atmos 5.1.2 setup.Was thinking of buying the IC-6 OBA's so can anyone recommend these. They are quite expensive here in New Zealand at $1200nzd a pair but I want to get the best atmos experience for my budget and set up.

Thanks

PS. Also have an SVS PB2000 sub.
post #1008 of 1013 Old 04-30-2017, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Anyone?
post #1009 of 1013 Old 05-26-2017, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezinghot View Post
Anyone?
I just bought a pair of them myself which I am going to install this weekend,they come highly recommended by a well known audio video calibrator.
post #1010 of 1013 Old 06-09-2017, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just upgraded to a Denon 4300 Receiver which is tied to an AT 351 5.1 THX system (about 15 years old). I am looking at adding 4 ceiling speakers for Atmos and am looking for suggestions on what would be the best match for the 351s...
post #1011 of 1013 Old 06-10-2017, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Use the IC-6 OBA, there is a dealer on eBay that is offering a great deal on them. Follow the installation instructions provided and if it is in your budget, and possible installation wise, use their back box.

Here is what they looks like:
https://www.amazon.ca/Atlantic-Techn...094161&sr=1-30
post #1012 of 1013 Old 06-14-2017, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
Nope, no sand.
@craig john

I see in the earlier posts you owned the Atlantic Technolgoy 8200es and now from clicking on your signature, I see that you said you upgraded to the Triad speakers.

I have a few questions if you don't mind me asking.

What made you decide to upgrade to the Triad speakers?

Can you give a comparison between them?

This being my first post in this forum, I originally joined in 2006 but I was only lurking for info and this year I was going to start a build thread to ask a bunch of questions because I am a total noob coming into the Home Theater scene.

I started in the AT section because I guess I been a fan of these speakers for awhile and was wondering in 2017 if these are still relevant as good to great speakers for a home Theater.
post #1013 of 1013 Old 08-10-2017, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 92
This morning I awoke to a loud hum from the in-wall subwoofer in my family room.

The sub is driven by an Atlantic Technology SA-350 Servo Controlled Subwoofer Amplifier. This was installed by the previous homeowner and has been working fine for the 5 years I've lived here.

The amp is supposed to go into standby when it's not getting signal, but it was powered on and humming loudly this morning. Turning off the amp generates a very loud thump through the sub. I checked and re-seated the wiring behind the amp and it looks OK. The hum persists even with the amp's input disconnected. So I'm guessing the amp needs repair or replacement.

Have any of you experienced this problem with an AT sub amp and have any advice for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Atlantic Technology , Atlantic Technology Speakers , Atlantic Technology International Corp , Atlantic Technology 8200ec Glb Thx Ultra2 Center Channel Speaker , Atlantic Technology 4200elr Glb Speakers , Nad 2200pe Stereo Power Amplifer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page