Atlantic Technology owner's thread. - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 901 Old 12-11-2007, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to buy Pedestals for my old System 450 THX fronts and backs, anyone have any suggestions on closeout warehouses or companies? AT said no direct. I tried their 5 largest retailers, none had it. I was given the number 800-978-6253 for some closeout warehouse type company and he said no. Are there other warehouses or companies with older AT accessories?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 901 Old 12-11-2007, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I could probably get some for you for the 370's. They should work, but they are black wood grain instead of gloss black. Just a thought for you.

-K

ISF Calibrator
Audyssey Pro Installer

Go Big Red!!!

I'm probably outside, cooking barbecue...

post #93 of 901 Old 12-12-2007, 11:55 AM

If I don't find a solution over the next couple of weeks, I may send you a PM. I went to look at those in the manual on AT's website, but the manual doesn't show the color that well. I'll continue to look, and see what third party options look like, then I'll mull my choices over. I'd prefer to stay glossy now, it would match my Samsung TV gloss. But if everything is a dead end, then something is better than nothing.

Appreciate the offer, will let you know.

Anyone else?

Also, what would cause a small amount of static like echo in a rear speaker, just on one side? I've got new wire, and a new receiver. I had the same on my old setup. The speaker doesn't look to be damaged. The funny sounds just comes out one side of the double sided rear. All settings are equal as well.
post #94 of 901 Old 12-20-2007, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I should've chimed in a long time ago!!! Last spring I overhauled my main system after moving into a new house. I had my basement setup from my old house in the family room of my new house, which was a Toshiba 51" RPTV widescreen, NHT T5 Evolution setup with L5 surrounds, and a Pioneer Elite 45TX receiver. Wife and I made a deal as she wanted floor space back and I didn't want to compromise sound or picture quality for that matter. With the tax return, I bought an Elite 50" plasma (768p), Marantz SR7001, and a full AT FS-3200 setup, matching all the way around. Currently using a Mirage 10.3 sub from old house 2nd system.

While I never had the chance to do a head-to-head comparison with the NHT setup, the ATs are very nice and clean sounding. Remind me a lot of the NHT sound signature, very neutral. With 2 small kids, I don't get that much of a chance to stretch it's legs, but have from time to time. Really happy with these being on-walls.

Also, I'm currently looking to put an in-wall/in-celing speaker system together for a buddy at work. Looks like the ICTS get generally favorable comments on here, but what about the IWTS line, specifially the IWTS-5 LCR or IWTS-7 LCR? I'm probably looking at ICTS-6.3e for surrounds. His wife is wanting everything hidden. Also, looks like some of you are having good luck with using ICTS-6 LCR for fronts. This is similar to what he initially had in mind. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!

DJ_JonnyV
post #95 of 901 Old 02-02-2008, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 206

Cool, I just saw this AT owners thread, just sharing here.
I also am a fan of Atlantic Technology, they were my first "real" HT quality speakers.
I bought mine in 2000 from 1call back then, a complete 5.1 set-up, System 350. Prior to that I was using, ahhhmmm, B*se acoustimass cubes circia 1992, what a night and day difference.
They were used in my old home for 2 years until we moved into our new log home May 2002, where they are now in the 1st floor family room.
My brother in law has their system 270's in his "modest" basement HT.

Yea, my RH speaker is kinda far from the screen, but it still works and I did not want to cover up the stone fireplace, the HDTV is too wide....(not).

Originally I had the surrounds mounted "correctly", up and down, but they are so tall and stood out weird in my open family room, so I flipped them & mounted on the beam as shown, sorta like people do in basement HT ceiling mounting their surrounds. Not "by the book", but you'd be surprised really sounds sweet, surround pans well, and kinda hides the speakers.
Some picts:
As they are today:
(sorry for messy home, 3 young kids, gosh I love them so much)

1 year ago before I moved the sub from underneath the shelfs and lowered the HDTV about 12" more, closer to eye height.
(how can people who mount flat screens above their fireplace stand looking up always??)

View from the loft:

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #96 of 901 Old 02-02-2008, 09:18 PM

Welcome to the family.

You're right, a plasma mounted above the fireplace would drive me crazy. I can imagine that your surrounds do work good, the rear channels seem to allow for the largest amount of mounting flexibility without compromising quality sound. I would be more concerned with your right channel being so much further away from the TV than your left channel, but space is definitely tight.

Nice log home by the way!! shweet.
post #97 of 901 Old 02-03-2008, 01:45 PM

Hi!

I'm glad to see a topic on Atlantic Technology speakers, I don't see much mentioned about them anywhere. I have the old system 150, (151 fronts, 153 center, 154 rears, and PBM 152 subwoofer) probably the oldest AT speakers of anyone here and they still serve me well.
post #98 of 901 Old 02-03-2008, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post

Welcome to the family.

You're right, a plasma mounted above the fireplace would drive me crazy. I can imagine that your surrounds do work good, the rear channels seem to allow for the largest amount of mounting flexibility without compromising quality sound. I would be more concerned with your right channel being so much further away from the TV than your left channel, but space is definitely tight.

Nice log home by the way!! shweet.

Thx for the comments on our log home, took long time for planning/building/etc (3 years total).
Not really big, just 2,500 sq feet, but we love it.

Yea, I know the RH speaker is kinda far and could give a weird soundstage, but you know what, it works in our layout and seated 12 feet back with the speakers angled/etc and the speaker levels adjusted still sounds good and gives a fantastic sorround experience.
I still love those AT 350's!

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

post #99 of 901 Old 02-03-2008, 07:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Does anyone know if the 8200e LR has a mounting system for stands other than the AT pedestals? I have some Sanus Steel Foundations that would work with the 8200e LR's if they accept a mounting bolt on the bottom. I'm leary of placing them on the stands without them being "bolted" on.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

post #100 of 901 Old 02-24-2008, 08:39 AM

I've got a set of 450s and just lost one of the dipoles. I sent an e-mail to their tech support asking where I can ship it to get it fixed. I'm desperately hoping they will let me pay for the repairs. Gawd I hope they have the parts lying around. sigh
post #101 of 901 Old 02-25-2008, 12:28 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Does anyone know if the 8200e LR has a mounting system for stands other than the AT pedestals? I have some Sanus Steel Foundations that would work with the 8200e LR's if they accept a mounting bolt on the bottom. I'm leary of placing them on the stands without them being "bolted" on.

Craig

You want me to lift my speaker off the stand to give you an answer? OK, I'll do it tonight. (sigh)
post #102 of 901 Old 02-25-2008, 01:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansashick View Post

You want me to lift my speaker off the stand to give you an answer? OK, I'll do it tonight. (sigh)

Wow, I would appreciate it. I have been holding off ordering these until I knew the answer. In the meantime, I've found a buyer for my Klipsch speakers. If you wouldn't mind checking, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

post #103 of 901 Old 02-25-2008, 07:29 PM

There is a bracket that connects the rear of the speaker to the rear of the stand. The bottom of the speaker (which is offset slightly from the rest of the speaker) slides into a hole in the stand and then the bracket holds them in place. BTW, the factory stands are hollow and come with a plastic bag insert that can be filled with sand to provide greater weight, hence stability. There are no bolts on the bottoms of the speakers and neither the manual for the stand nor that for the speakers says anything about attaching them to a stand other than the factory model.
post #104 of 901 Old 02-26-2008, 10:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks. I appreciate you taking the time to check this out for me! It's not quite the answer I was hoping for, but I appreciate your efforts nonetheless!

Craig

Lombardi said it:

post #105 of 901 Old 02-26-2008, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks. I appreciate you taking the time to check this out for me! It's not quite the answer I was hoping for, but I appreciate your efforts nonetheless!

Craig

I don't know about the 8200e. It looks to be different than the 8200's are. I can help you with the 8200, but not the 8200e.

Page two here is the best help I can give you.

http://www.atlantictechnology.com/up...PED_Manual.pdf

-K

ISF Calibrator
Audyssey Pro Installer

Go Big Red!!!

post #106 of 901 Old 02-26-2008, 05:56 PM

Wow, I didn't know there was an Atlantic Tech speaker thread =) I have their 450e THX system. I've been thinking of selling for something new. Call it a 7 year itch, or something =). Any idea on the value of the full system in great overall shape? I have the stands for the fronts but not the rears.
post #107 of 901 Old 02-26-2008, 07:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassbone57 View Post

I don't know about the 8200e. It looks to be different than the 8200's are. I can help you with the 8200, but not the 8200e.

Page two here is the best help I can give you.

http://www.atlantictechnology.com/up...PED_Manual.pdf

-K

Thank you! It appears that AT has elected not to allow their Ultra2 speakers to interface with any stands other than their own. I can certainly understand the integral design, and their concerns about stability with other stands. However, this may price them out of consideration for many.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

post #108 of 901 Old 02-26-2008, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you! It appears that AT has elected not to allow their Ultra2 speakers to interface with any stands other than their own. I can certainly understand the integral design, and their concerns about stability with other stands. However, this may price them out of consideration for many.

Craig

I think the reason that is, is so the speakers and stands don't rattle or make noise during high volume playback. When they had the removable panels on the 8200, 6200 and 4200 they had to be THX certified with the panels on so they know they would withstand the vibrations and rigors of high volume playback. That is why they make the peds for those and design them to work the best with them. However, I think if you had a solid stand, filled with sand or whatever, they would work fine. You just may have to "custom make" a bracket if you want to attach them. But as far as your pricing concern, this system is now half the price of the old 8200 system, so you are at least able to consider these now where as with the old systems, the 6200's may have even been out of your price range.

On that note, if the 8200's with the peds are just too much money, look into the 6200e's They are about 90-95% of the performance of the 8200e's and cost much less. They are still THX Ultra2 certified (if that is important to you) and put out a lot of great sound. Maybe look into those as an option as well.

-K

ISF Calibrator
Audyssey Pro Installer

Go Big Red!!!

post #109 of 901 Old 02-27-2008, 08:23 AM

I too believe that you could easily make brackets to mount the 8200 to an existing stand. It would basically be an "L" shape.

Also, I see no reason to even consider the old 8200 system, no longer sold. The 8200e mated with a good sub is spectacular (I use a pair of JL f113s). Remember, however, that the 8200e is designed to be used with a subwoofer and cannot handle the deep bass by itself. I would discourage anyone from using the AT 642 sub. I found a single 642 (in a 3400 cubic foot room) to be totally inadequate and twin 642s to be barely acceptable.
post #110 of 901 Old 02-27-2008, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

wow, disconcerting kansa....it's not the first time I notice you being quite a strong critic of those subs.

I have two of them and will hopefully manage to hook them up this w/e and listen. My room/area is 20x15x7, so being smaller I can only hope those two will suffice. I just liked the idea, practically speaking, to order everything together from AT.

By the way, they are big and sooo heavy, I had to think about it for a couple of hours before finally deciding to try and bring one down to the room, good thing going in from the backyard it was a soft descent. I thought I was going to drop it at least twice, I barely survived

Now, I will have to find a better way to deal with the second one.
post #111 of 901 Old 02-27-2008, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwaves View Post

wow, disconcerting kansa....it's not the first time I notice you being quite a strong critic of those subs.

I have two of them and will hopefully manage to hook them up this w/e and listen. My room/area is 20x15x7, so being smaller I can only hope those two will suffice. I just liked the idea, practically speaking, to order everything together from AT.

By the way, they are big and sooo heavy, I had to think about it for a couple of hours before finally deciding to try and bring one down to the room, good thing going in from the backyard it was a soft descent. I thought I was going to drop it at least twice, I barely survived

Now, I will have to find a better way to deal with the second one.

The 642eSB can be touchy. I have heard them sound amazing, and I've heard them sound not so amazing. So be very careful of your setup and placement.

-K

ISF Calibrator
Audyssey Pro Installer

Go Big Red!!!

post #112 of 901 Old 02-27-2008, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

oh gee, I wish I had some more flexibility ... I have very little as the cables are pre-wired in front, even though the right side has sufficient slack to come a bit forward along the side wall.

We'll see what happens this w/e, hopefully it will be good right away as I am not looking forward to much setting up work
post #113 of 901 Old 02-27-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwaves View Post

oh gee, I wish I had some more flexibility ... I have very little as the cables are pre-wired in front, even though the right side has sufficient slack to come a bit forward along the side wall.

We'll see what happens this w/e, hopefully it will be good right away as I am not looking forward to much setting up work

My room is a bit bigger than yours and I truly love LFE that rocks my world. My wife found the twin 642s to be quite adequate. I got the best results with the 642s when I placed them next to the wall to get some gain. The fathoms OTOH do best in the center to either side of the center chanel.

In a very real sense, it is not a fair comparison. The JLs cost >$3000 each compared to $650 each (as I remember) for the 642s. They also weigh three times as much and have four times the power output.
post #114 of 901 Old 02-29-2008, 04:10 PM

The dealer is offering a display model of the SUB for $450.00

I would like some review/opinions about the performance of the sub and opinion about the asking price.

Thanks

Jeff

Rotel Audiophile on a Radioshack Budget
post #115 of 901 Old 03-01-2008, 07:16 PM

I have the 450e THX system as well. Just replaced my receiver with an Onkyo NR-905. I can't believe the difference! My system just woke up!
It sounded good before, but now it is amazing! The 450's are known to be laid back, and the 905 a little bright. Perfect combination! I have other speakers that are very dependent on amplifier mating (Magnepan MGIIIa) but this is the most significant improvement I have experienced with a pairing. I have two great danes that love to join in 'at the movies'. Before the receiver change, they would sleep through the loud action passages without a stir. Now, it's damage control! The sound is so involving and realistic that they scramble around madly to get out of the line of fire. I too was thinking about a new speaker system. Now, I am looking to add 7.1 speakers and would welcome any suggestions. I was thinking about the Atlantic Tech IWTS-10 SR's for the back channel.
post #116 of 901 Old 03-02-2008, 08:57 AM

Daegge - I just changed from the Onkyo 801 to the 875 and made a few minor adjustments to the speaker/furniture arrangement. I noticed an improvement with my 450s but kept wondering if I just did a better job of arranging everything... Perhaps it is 875 after all.
post #117 of 901 Old 03-02-2008, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daegge View Post

I have the 450e THX system as well. Just replaced my receiver with an Onkyo NR-905. I can't believe the difference! My system just woke up!
It sounded good before, but now it is amazing! The 450's are known to be laid back, and the 905 a little bright. Perfect combination! I have other speakers that are very dependent on amplifier mating (Magnepan MGIIIa) but this is the most significant improvement I have experienced with a pairing. I have two great danes that love to join in 'at the movies'. Before the receiver change, they would sleep through the loud action passages without a stir. Now, it's damage control! The sound is so involving and realistic that they scramble around madly to get out of the line of fire. I too was thinking about a new speaker system. Now, I am looking to add 7.1 speakers and would welcome any suggestions. I was thinking about the Atlantic Tech IWTS-10 SR's for the back channel.

The IWTS10eSR's would work good, but the IWTS20SR would be the ideal match since they are all THX Ultra certified speakers, where the 10e's are not even THX select. The 20's would match the sound quality and output better than the 10e. However, the 20's are going away and being replaced in about a month or two, and the new 30's will sound different. So if you are serious about getting the two extras for 7.1, I would recommend the 20's and I suggest you find somebody with them in stock or will order them for you soon because they won't be around much longer at all.

-K

ISF Calibrator
Audyssey Pro Installer

Go Big Red!!!

post #118 of 901 Old 03-02-2008, 08:23 PM

Hi guys. I found a pair of 251 LR (for front left/right) and a 223C for sale locally for $125 and I'm wondering if it's worth getting them.
We have a 19x24 dedicated home theatre room and currently have a HK avr247 receiver with 4yr old sony speakers and a 4yr old Onkyo stw-150 sub (was part of HTIB). The main problem that we are having is that the sony speakers suck. They're good enough for games or music, but very hard to understand dialogue during movies. The subwoofer gives off enough bass and we can live with it. I was thinking of getting these and replacing the sony fronts & center, while leaving the sony rears and onkyo sub.
Either that or was thinking of getting the Klipsch Synergy Quintet II speakers from Vanns.
What do you guys think?
post #119 of 901 Old 03-02-2008, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaliygoretoy View Post

Hi guys. I found a pair of 251 LR (for front left/right) and a 223C for sale locally for $125 and I'm wondering if it's worth getting them.
We have a 19x24 dedicated home theatre room and currently have a HK avr247 receiver with 4yr old sony speakers and a 4yr old Onkyo stw-150 sub (was part of HTIB). The main problem that we are having is that the sony speakers suck. They're good enough for games or music, but very hard to understand dialogue during movies. The subwoofer gives off enough bass and we can live with it. I was thinking of getting these and replacing the sony fronts & center, while leaving the sony rears and onkyo sub.
Either that or was thinking of getting the Klipsch Synergy Quintet II speakers from Vanns.
What do you guys think?

If they are in good shape and not blown, that is a pretty fair deal. Besides they will blow away your HTIB speakers.

-K

ISF Calibrator
Audyssey Pro Installer

Go Big Red!!!

post #120 of 901 Old 03-05-2008, 08:58 AM

Hello from Germany...
I am one of (I Guess) 2 AT-Owners in Germany...
I bought a System 350 with one Sub in 1997.
It still works great...
Added 2 Pairs of 379INSR...and replaced the 350SRs with them...

But as I now have Bryston Amplification and MC12 V4 Preamp I feel they might limit the possible Soundquality...although the difference to my old Denon was still audible...

Someone earlier quoted on planning to sell his 450 System..

Actually I need only LCR...not necessarily Surrounds as I regard them to be satisfying even with my new Electronics...

A part from that I was always very happy with my ATs...
Unfortunately we have no AT Products available in Germany...
There is one in France...one I Belgium...but new 8200LCR would be just a bit too expensive...
And Downgrading to a 2-Way System...No Thanks

When I should get some new 450s..

I have a complete 350 System to sell.
If Anybody is interested..
Let me know!

Greetings
TEX
Reply Speakers

Tags
Atlantic Technology , Atlantic Technology Speakers , Atlantic Technology International Corp , Atlantic Technology 8200ec Glb Thx Ultra2 Center Channel Speaker , Atlantic Technology 4200elr Glb Speakers , Nad 2200pe Stereo Power Amplifer
Gear in this thread - 4200elr by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page