Atlantic Technology owner's thread. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 903 Old 07-08-2006, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an Atlantic Technology 8200 system that I just love. Not very many people on here seem own or talk about Atlantic Tech very much. But the ones who do talk about them really like them, or regret ever selling them from what I read.

I just wanted to start a thread about this brand and maybe raise a little more awareness about them and have a place for happy AT owners to talk about their systems, or ask questions if they have any. People have started threads about several other brands, I'm starting the AT thread and let's spread the love!

Here is my opinion of my system.

-K

ISF Calibrator
Audyssey Pro Installer

Go Big Red!!!

I'm probably outside, cooking barbecue...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 903 Old 07-09-2006, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassbone57 View Post

I just wanted to start a thread about this brand and maybe raise a little more awareness about them and have a place for happy AT owners to talk about their systems, or ask questions if they have any. People have started threads about several other brands, I'm starting the AT thread and let's spread the love!

-K

Well then count me in to help spread the love. I've been using the smaller 4.5 system and love it. I'm in the process of a rebuild and upgraded the fronts to the 4200 and they sound amazing.
post #3 of 903 Old 07-09-2006, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Well then count me in to help spread the love. I've been using the smaller 4.5 system and love it. I'm in the process of a rebuild and upgraded the fronts to the 4200 and they sound amazing.

I'm assuming you are aware of the 4200e upgrade they did about a year ago, right?

-K

ISF Calibrator
Audyssey Pro Installer

Go Big Red!!!

post #4 of 903 Old 07-09-2006, 04:58 PM

4200 mains
2200 center
2200 dipole/bipole surround
Adcom 5503 for the front
Adcom 555 for the rear
Velodyne DLS 3750
HK AVR 240 as Pre/Pro

The room is 12x18 and this system rocks. I agree, not very much is said about the Atlantic Technology systems. I listened to Polk, Klipsch, Sapphire (at Tweeter...yuck) and Infinity. Atlantic doesn't seem to be heavily marketed and some of their systems are rather difficult to get hold of. Just my .02 worth.
post #5 of 903 Old 07-09-2006, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Urban, good to see your first post is about AT

They did make a big leap in prices when they went from the _70 series to the _200 series of systems, but they also made big performance and quality improvements as well. I'm not saying that the _70 systems are bad by any means. The 370 and 450 systems are just awesome and are still a couple of my favorites, but they were high output with higher value.

Now, to get into the top AT systems, you are talking about a much bigger investment. But the build quality, driver quality, sound quality & transparency, cosmetic quality and all that good stuff also took a noticeable jump as well. Especially, I feel the overall build quality of the enclosures really got better. But they did put their flagship stuff into a higher end bracket, that's for sure.

-K

ISF Calibrator
Audyssey Pro Installer

Go Big Red!!!

post #6 of 903 Old 07-11-2006, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Bump

-K

ISF Calibrator
Audyssey Pro Installer

Go Big Red!!!

post #7 of 903 Old 07-11-2006, 08:20 PM

Quote:

I'm assuming you are aware of the 4200e upgrade they did about a year ago, right?

-K

Yes I am, Thanks. Those are the ones I got. I'm using the System 4.5's for the rest of the 7.1 setup with a Velodyne DLS-5000 Sub.
post #8 of 903 Old 07-11-2006, 09:25 PM

Just bought 4200e LR, 4200e C and 4200 Di-pole surrounds matched it with a Sunfire Super Jr., and the new Pioneer 82xli. Hope to have it up in running in the next week or so...

Dustoff00
post #9 of 903 Old 07-11-2006, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoff View Post

Just bought 4200e LR, 4200e C and 4200 Di-pole surrounds matched it with a Sunfire Super Jr., and the new Pioneer 82xli. Hope to have it up in running in the next week or so...

Let us know how they sound after a good break-in. You bought a great system there, you'll love it!!

-K

ISF Calibrator
Audyssey Pro Installer

Go Big Red!!!

post #10 of 903 Old 08-08-2006, 08:32 PM

I joined the Atlantic Technology club a few weeks back - bought a set of 3200 lcr's, a pair of 2200 surrounds and the 422 sub. I had originally anticipated mounting the 3200's on the wall for WAF, but found the floor stands worked better given the wall space we had, and she was fine with them, since they don't overpower the room like many other larger/deeper speakers.

I'm very happy with the sound. They're fantastic for movie soundtracks - you can clearly hear the dialog and all of music/explosions/etc. They also work just fine for watching the news or a ballgame...you don't feel like you're 'broadcasting' some weak feed through monster speakers. They've also done an excellent job with the music that I've run through them so far (Diana Krall, Clapton, Eagles, Sting)...however, if you have a bad recording....they pretty much play it like it is...

I'm powering them with a Denon 3805, and have really learned to love the various "modes" that server offers (jazz club/arena/etc). Makes for a great sound stage.
post #11 of 903 Old 08-08-2006, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You said it. AT's tend to play it as it is recorded, which is about one of the best things you can say about a speaker. Since you've had them a few weeks they may be very close to broken-in. You will notice in the first few weeks they will keep sounding better, and the louder you play them the better they will sound. Glad you like them.

-K

ISF Calibrator
Audyssey Pro Installer

Go Big Red!!!

post #12 of 903 Old 08-15-2006, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 221
System 170 L & R
System 170 SR - dipole for side surround
System 170 L & R for rear surround
HSU Research VTF-2
Outlaw Audio 7100 amplifier
Two Buttkickers mounted in the floor joists
HTPC with X-Fi Elite as source

These speakers are smaller than the System 270 and 370, but they were the last System *70 speakers made and had the flatest frequency response of the three systems. These speakers are excellent for both movies and music.

With movies, they are especially good at allowing one to hear the voices effortlessly. The dialog is always so crystal clear that you don't have to strain to understand it. They are also quite dynamic and the dipoles do a great job of providing a huge, enveloping soundfield. The speakers disappear during a movie and you are left with an immersive experience into the movie.

With music, the speakers have a smooth, sweet sound. You can listen at high volume without any harshness or agressiveness. I have never felt any listening fatigue with these either. I just ordered my first DVD-Audio, Guitar Noir, and I can't wait to try it out.

I recently switched my soundcard from an M-Audio Revolution to an X-Fi Elite Professional. The X-Fi has a much higher output voltage and can drive my amp better. This resulted in better dymanics and ability to have higher volume levels.

The only disadvantage, if you can call it that, is that you need to have the tweeter at ear level to enjoy the speakers properly. They have more of a sweet spot in the vertical plane than other speakers I have heard.

I think the reason that most people haven't heard of them is that they aren't sold in many retail stores or internet direct. Most of the time they are sold by custom installers who don't have a brick and morter store. This greatly restricts their availability to large market cities.
post #13 of 903 Old 11-14-2006, 12:37 PM

I have System 20 in-walls in my home theater. I am extremely pleased with my purchase. My wife is always telling me to turnt he volume down - and that is at -25dB!!

I also purchased ICTS 8.2s for my pool table room. They are mounted int he ceiling. I can't say enough good things about these either!

I would reccommend Atlantic Technology to everyone!

If you cannot tell the difference between HD and SD on a large screen TV get your frackin' eyes checked!
XBox Live: Vinny516
post #14 of 903 Old 11-14-2006, 02:11 PM

Is there anyone here that would recommend a reputable dealer that would ship anywhere in the U.S.? I only have two dealers here in Houston and one is way overpriced and the other takes too long to respond to a simple quote on the System 920. I believe the reason is that they only cater to high end systems like the 6200 and higher or dedicated home theaters and don't want to bother with anyone spending less than $2500.
post #15 of 903 Old 11-14-2006, 05:37 PM

I've got a 7.2 system which consists of a complete 270 THX Ultra system with an added 272 PBM sub and 2 extra rear 271 LRs. I absolutely "LOVE" this system. The speakers are sealed enclosers and deliver clean sound you can feel. The subs are awesome...(no boominess)...just ultra low that you can "feel". Incredible speakers...DVD-A music is spectacular on this system...
post #16 of 903 Old 11-14-2006, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalier95 View Post

Is there anyone here that would recommend a reputable dealer that would ship anywhere in the U.S.? I only have two dealers here in Houston and one is way overpriced and the other takes too long to respond to a simple quote on the System 920. I believe the reason is that they only cater to high end systems like the 6200 and higher or dedicated home theaters and don't want to bother with anyone spending less than $2500.

Call www.legacyaudiovideo.com and ask to talk to Ray. Tell him Chuck from Atlanta sent you. Ray is an authorized dealer and has been dealing in Atlantic Technology for a long time. His shipping is fast.
post #17 of 903 Old 11-14-2006, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckken View Post

Call www.legacyaudiovideo.com

That would be a long phone number, 999-534119-18246-84336-266 Sorry, I couldn't resist.

-K

ISF Calibrator
Audyssey Pro Installer

Go Big Red!!!

post #18 of 903 Old 11-14-2006, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 95
FYI...I have a set of FS-3200s (left, center, and right) for sale over in the sales threads. These were special orders that got shipped before a friend decided on Infinity Preludes (also tall and narrow). Kind of got stuck with them. Unused, new, full AT warranty, etc.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=744280
post #19 of 903 Old 11-15-2006, 04:09 AM

Has anybody purchased or listened to AT's new line of in-wall speakers with fixed closed enclosures, the 525 and 626?
post #20 of 903 Old 11-26-2006, 02:20 PM

I have had the T-70 AT's most inexpensive speaker system for 3 years now. I really love these speakers but now i have the upgrade bug. I've been looking at the 4200e system. Have any of you heard this system? My current speakers are great for movies but a 4 1/2" driver just isn't cutting it for music for me. Though the SVS sub does help of course. I can get the r/l/c and surrounds on demo for $1400 which seems like a good deal. I am just wondering what they will sound like with music being THX speakers. Is there something else that might be better in the $1400 range? Any impressions and or suggestions would be appreciated.
post #21 of 903 Old 11-26-2006, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Lots of people have the same concern and seem to be worried about music on THX speakers. The reason there is concern is because the speakers are designed not to be played below 80hz. They will go below, but with no promises of what you will get. But, if you have a sub to handle the sub 80hz range, you are fine.

I was going to get the 4200s and then decided to go all out and get the 8200s. And I'll tell you this, music on Atlantic's is great, as long as you have a sub. AT's biggest plus is that they are so detailed and transparent, without being harsh or grainy at all. I love to listen to music on my AT's. I own other highly respected brands of speakers as well, but the AT's sound the best for anything that you put through them. But they are very unforgiving, which I like. And by unforgiving, I mean that whatever sound is sent to them, that is exactly what will come out. They have a ruler flat response, and never color sound in any way. If the CD was not recorded well, you'll know it. But if it was recorded well, you are in for a treat!

The 4200's are awesome! And if you have a sub, you will be just fine. I listened to them a ton since I was going to get them. I still hear them from time to time because a friend I have owns them. But since you are dropping the dough, you need to listen to them and decide for yourself.

-K

ISF Calibrator
Audyssey Pro Installer

Go Big Red!!!

post #22 of 903 Old 11-26-2006, 05:53 PM

For about 8 years my 250 series Atlantic Technology front, rear, center, & subwoofer have provided very enjoyable listening in my primary listening room. They are now in another room, replaced by Onix and SVS.
post #23 of 903 Old 11-26-2006, 06:11 PM

Thanks for the response. I do have a SVS 20-29pci+ sub so things are all good there. One more question. Do you know if these speakers can be wall mounted, or would i need to get stands. Don't mind getting stands for the fronts if it will help the sound stage. I know i can mess with the CORE settings but i prefer to leave things set to normal if i can. Currently i have all my speakers wall mounted.
post #24 of 903 Old 11-26-2006, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioslave View Post

Thanks for the response. I do have a SVS 20-29pci+ sub so things are all good there. One more question. Do you know if these speakers can be wall mounted, or would i need to get stands. Don't mind getting stands for the fronts if it will help the sound stage. I know i can mess with the CORE settings but i prefer to leave things set to normal if i can. Currently i have all my speakers wall mounted.

Wall mounting usually isn't a good idea for main speakers since the sound that comes from the back of them is forced right against the wall, causing some coloration. It also doesn't allow you to play with positions or toe-in at all.

However, if I recall correctly, the binding posts on the back of the 4200s stick out past the speaker, not allowing for a wall mount. The 2200's on down will allow for wall mount. Or better yet, their FS-3200 might be an option as well since they are designed to be against a wall. The FS3200's add two passive radiators on the front to extend bass response. They might be worth an audition for your situation or wants. They would put you back at a 4 1/2" drivers though. But with the passive radiators, they might just be what you need.

-K

ISF Calibrator
Audyssey Pro Installer

Go Big Red!!!

post #25 of 903 Old 12-08-2006, 01:17 PM

Quote:

I have an Atlantic Tech 8200 system that I just love. Not very many people on here own them or talk about them very much. But the ones who do, really like them or regret ever selling them from what I read.

-K

I have the old System 370THX complete with dual subs- System rocks. Great for movies and music. I'm sure you will enjoy the 8200's for years to come.
post #26 of 903 Old 12-08-2006, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btgolfer View Post

I have the old System 370THX complete with dual subs- System rocks. Great for movies and music. I'm sure you will enjoy the 8200's for years to come.

I've had them for going on two years now, and couldn't enjoy them any more. Well, I'm moving here in a month and will get them in a better sized room. I'm sure they will sound better and really shine in there. I can't wait!!

The subs on the 370 system were in my opinion, the best sub AT ever put out. I actually added a Servo-15 to my 8200 system to get more of that deep, lower-end rumble that the pedsubs just didn't quite have and the 370 sub did have.

-K

ISF Calibrator
Audyssey Pro Installer

Go Big Red!!!

post #27 of 903 Old 12-11-2006, 02:41 PM

Why did you have to give up the 370s? I'm upgrading my system-awaiting 60"Sony XBR2- running a Yamaha 2095 receiver. Will upgrade the receiver at some point, but see no need to change the speakers. What amp/receiver are you using?
post #28 of 903 Old 12-11-2006, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btgolfer View Post

Why did you have to give up the 370s? I'm upgrading my system-awaiting 60"Sony XBR2- running a Yamaha 2095 receiver. Will upgrade the receiver at some point, but see no need to change the speakers. What amp/receiver are you using?

Is that question for me?

If it is, I didn't give up the 370's. I was planning to buy them, and in the process of saving, the 370's went away and the 8200's came out. So I just saved a little more and got the newer system. I had to anyway since the 370's weren't available. The 8200's cost a pretty penny more, but I've never regretted paying the difference. The 8200's are amazing!

-K

ISF Calibrator
Audyssey Pro Installer

Go Big Red!!!

post #29 of 903 Old 12-12-2006, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Count me on this thread. This is my first time to buy a reputable speakers. I have the system 2200 in our loft which i bought 2 months ago. Highly recommended. Cannot find the right words to describe it. My wife at first was hesitant about it because of the price. Now, my wife is an AT lover!!!

Two weeks ago, my neighbor went to our house and told as that their bedroom was shaking. I believe that the distance between our house and my neighbor's house is 20 feet. Me and my wife were so embarrased since it happened at around 12 midnight. We were watching MI3 and they were already sleeping. This is to attest that AT rocks at system 2200. Now, i am planning to buy the system 4200e in the living room with a hard knock amplifier, and nice flat panel TV.

You will never go wrong with AT!!!
post #30 of 903 Old 12-20-2006, 04:18 PM

I'm interested in auditioning the 4200e system from Atlantic. I want to place the speakers on shelves in my entertainment center. Atlantic seems to offer the most flexible options for "tuning" the speakers to your environment. With their C.O.R.E technology they give you the controls for tuning the High Frequency response and offer Boundary Compensation which is something that I'm looking for because of placing the speakers in my Entertainment Center instead of on stands in open space. I don't know why more companies don't offer these controls. I know Atlantic is not the only company to offer this but it seems like there are only a select few manufacturers that do. Perhaps it's just because people don't know about the effects of boundary compensation?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Atlantic Technology , Atlantic Technology Speakers , Atlantic Technology International Corp , Atlantic Technology 8200ec Glb Thx Ultra2 Center Channel Speaker , Atlantic Technology 4200elr Glb Speakers , Nad 2200pe Stereo Power Amplifer
Gear in this thread - 4200elr by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page