Considering Pure Acoustics speakers. *Anyone heard of them? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 07-19-2006, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I own a BDI Avion (cherry) and a Pioneer PDP-5071HD plasma (with the piano black gloss bezel). It looks really good to the eye, and the WAF factor is up the wazoo.

I am now looking to find decent sounding home theater speakers (don't need large Klipsch as my apartment is in the city and I have neighbors).

I found www.pure-acoustics.com mostly because of the endless ads in Home Theater Magazine. I checked them out, and found them perfect for WAF. They are piano black gloss veneer, and have a nice glossy cherry finish which would be perfect for my decor.

All I need is for them to sound even half-way decent for home theater (not music).

Has anyone heard of Pure Acoustics speakers or read any reviews?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 07-19-2006, 07:46 AM

Liked: 14
They do look nice. I hate websites that don't list suggested prices, though. I don't know if they are ID or if there are stores where you can audition them.
post #3 of 33 Old 07-19-2006, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 382
They have a huge product line, that's for sure. But with no MSRP, we have no idea what they compete with.

Maybe the OP should take a look at these also, at least he gets pricing.
http://www.radiient.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.31/.f

How come the Pure Acoustics site says Octbober 15, 2003? Are they still in business? Oh as I probe the site a little more it says they were at CES 2006 and are in talks with some of the biggest retail chains in the U.S. I guess we'll just have to wait.

The OP is in NYC and this company is in Brooklyn. Maybe he can give us a review after a visit?

Afro GT
post #4 of 33 Old 07-19-2006, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Here is a review of the QX900 5.1 Speaker System. $957 for the system.
Not sure where that line lies in the grand scheme of things in regards to the rest of their line up
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...rs-3-2005.html

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #5 of 33 Old 07-19-2006, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I found out they go for cheap in Australia and then did a search here. Checked Ebay and the whole 5 piece set of Dream 76, C, s and speakers went for $114. Of course there was $200 shipping from Canada to US.

Looks like a budget set of speakers. How they sound, who knows?

http://www.pure-acoustics.com/design.../dream_76f.htm
http://www.pure-acoustics.com/design.../dream_77c.htm
http://www.pure-acoustics.com/design.../dream_77s.htm

Afro GT
post #6 of 33 Old 07-20-2006, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I finally spoke with the distributor, unfortunately there is no current dealer networkin place just yet. I did however find out the MSRP.

The Slim Dream 5-speaker system (no subwoofer) has an MSRP of $699.

I get the impression this is definitely a company just getting established. Definitely NOT, a JBL, Klipsch or Polk established company.
post #7 of 33 Old 07-20-2006, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Based on the link to the Dream system, that Radiient Calypso system is very similar for about $200 less. Who knows which one is better though?

Afro GT
post #8 of 33 Old 07-20-2006, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper View Post

I finally spoke with the distributor, unfortunately there is no current dealer networkin place just yet. I did however find out the MSRP.

The Slim Dream 5-speaker system (no subwoofer) has an MSRP of $699.

I get the impression this is definitely a company just getting established. Definitely NOT, a JBL, Klipsch or Polk established company.

It will be interesting to see if they succeed. Speakers are a very competitive business. It seems odd for a startup company to offer such a large product line.
post #9 of 33 Old 01-07-2007, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just purchased the QX900 front floor speakers,QX900 rear bookshelf speakers and the XP 10inch 150w subwoofer.

These speakers were added to my existing Energy take 5.2 set-up.

Both the Energy and the PA's have 89db sensitivity so I figured they might do the trick of filling in the empty speaker spots created by my Yamaha HTR-6090 purchase. Adding 4 more speakers to my already way over budget theatre system was a scary proposition.

I am running the PA floor speakers as my front, the PA bookshelf as my surround, the Energy's are now being used as the center, front presence and rear surround. I have the Energy 8" sub behind my Panasonic PT 53x54 TV and the PA 10" sub located behind our couch.

I let the speakers "burn in" over a 40 hr period with a steady sound feed and last night I turned it up for the first time.

WOW!

I was always impressed by my little take 5.2 Energy speakers and I have nothing bad to say about them now, but for the price these PA speakers are a steal. The front speakers I got on sale at 65 Canadian dollars each, the bookshelf ones were on sale at 49 for the pair and I got the sub at 175.

They absolutely blow away my energy speakers and I have to say that it shocked me that they would. Now I am kicking myself that I didn't outright swap out all of the Take series speakers and go PA all the way around, especially now that the speakers have doubled with the sale ending.

The sound is clear and the "fullness" to music is something I didn't hear before I did the swap. One thing for sure the front full range floor standing speaker design has changed my enjoyment completely over the small speakers I had before.

I can't say enough about these speakers and if a person is looking at building a $5k home theatre from scratch, you couldn't go wrong with these.

Jeff

Whether you think you can or think you can't...you're correct!
Henry Ford
post #10 of 33 Old 01-07-2007, 10:30 AM
wje
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Here is a review of the QX900 5.1 Speaker System. $957 for the system.
Not sure where that line lies in the grand scheme of things in regards to the rest of their line up
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...rs-3-2005.html

If the published weights for the speakers are correct in that review, they are a bit on the light side. A 38" high tower speaker that only weighs 18 Lbs. ? It might suggest that they use some pretty thin MDF for the cabinets - and probably skip any bracing, too.
post #11 of 33 Old 01-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
That is light. I'm not one for worrying too much about how much a speaker weighs, but a speaker of that size with that many drivers coming in at only 18 pounds is more than suspicious.

Are they plastic?

my NADs are new
post #12 of 33 Old 01-07-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emorphien View Post

That is light. I'm not one for worrying too much about how much a speaker weighs, but a speaker of that size with that many drivers coming in at only 18 pounds is more than suspicious.

Are they plastic?

Based on their abundant product lines on a new startup (at least from the web site), their speaker appearance and the light weights, it sounds to me it is another kind of "Theater Research" sort of thing.
post #13 of 33 Old 01-07-2007, 02:19 PM

Each individual front speaker had a shipping weight of 37lbs in the box with styrofoam.

The 18lb weight is off by a fair amount, but I can't explain why the web info is wrong.

Jeff

Henry Ford
post #14 of 33 Old 01-07-2007, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxdowne View Post

Each individual front speaker had a shipping weight of 37lbs in the box with styrofoam.

The 18lb weight is off by a fair amount, but I can't explain why the web info is wrong.

Jeff

Their other speakers are still quite light as well... you sure it isn't 37 pounds for the pair? That or the spec is wrong. It might be better if the spec was simply a typo.

my NADs are new
post #15 of 33 Old 01-08-2007, 02:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Maybe it was supposed to be 18 kg.

-Max
post #16 of 33 Old 01-08-2007, 06:11 AM

The front speakers are shipped individually at 37lbs each, I had to carry them in the house

Jeff

Henry Ford
post #17 of 33 Old 03-24-2007, 07:31 AM

Back on sale again in Canada at "the Source" for 50% off, I am going to replace the remainder of my Energy speakers with these next week...sale ends March 31.

No, I don't work for either companies I just am so impressed with the quality and price I wanted people to check them out.

Jeff

Henry Ford
post #18 of 33 Old 03-24-2007, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Spare me ... these have all the hallmarks of WHITE VAN speakers:

1. WAY too many product lines, many almost indistinguishable from eachother
2. Sexy looks but WAY too light cabinets
3. Too many drivers in the towers. With that god-awful side firing woofer design. LOL all the white van speakers use that 90s design.
4. generic and indistinguishable subwoofers and center speakers
5. Inadequete information on a highly stylized website
6. No real customer support, or sales help.

The website is only there to support moving substandard product through a very loose distribution network. These types of speakers are there to visually impress you at time of sale, they are image speakers, and audio quality is not really their concern.
post #19 of 33 Old 03-24-2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:

Back on sale again in Canada at "the Source" for 50% off, I am going to replace the remainder of my Energy speakers with these next week...sale ends March 31.

No, I don't work for either companies I just am so impressed with the quality and price I wanted people to check them out.

Jeff

So how do these speakers sound to you? I also saw these at thesource.ca and it's very tempting.

Whomever raises their hand against the water lords, Loses that hand. Vaska "The Witcher"
post #20 of 33 Old 03-24-2007, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA View Post

Spare me ... these have all the hallmarks of WHITE VAN speakers:

1. WAY too many product lines, many almost indistinguishable from eachother
2. Sexy looks but WAY too light cabinets
3. Too many drivers in the towers. With that god-awful side firing woofer design. LOL all the white van speakers use that 90s design.
4. generic and indistinguishable subwoofers and center speakers
5. Inadequete information on a highly stylized website
6. No real customer support, or sales help.

The website is only there to support moving substandard product through a very loose distribution network. These types of speakers are there to visually impress you at time of sale, they are image speakers, and audio quality is not really their concern.

Absolutely true. These are cheap crap WHITE VAN speakers built in some sweat shop somewhere.

Come on guys. Theres plenty of good legitimate speakers companies out there. Why even bother?
post #21 of 33 Old 03-25-2007, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Look Guys, I did a Whois search and they do not give valid contact information. That is always a tell-tale sign of a company that operates or intends to operate in a morally gray area. Good company's will always give you ways to contact them directly. And if they are based in Brooklyn, why are they even being discussed? They spent alot of money on the site to create the impression of a well established and thriving company. Go to the "About Us" . More irritatingly ambiguous BS.

If I wanted these speakers I'd just go stand in a K-Mart parking lot and wait for the white van. Probably get a better deal, too.
post #22 of 33 Old 03-25-2007, 09:45 AM

They sound better than my Energy Take 5.2 speakers and they handle the full spectrum of sound better too.

You can get the bookshelf sized 900 series right now for $50 (Canadian) a pair and at that price I defy ANYONE to find me a better deal on whatever speaker you want to bring into this thread.

So lets see the better sounding ($25 per speaker) list here so that guys on a budget can surpass this deal I mentioned.

Jeff

p/s the cabinets are not that light the specs given are wrong, because the shipping weight is 37lbs each for the floor standing models.

Henry Ford
post #23 of 33 Old 03-25-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:

They sound better than my Energy Take 5.2 speakers and they handle the full spectrum of sound better too.

You can get the bookshelf sized 900 series right now for $50 (Canadian) a pair and at that price I defy ANYONE to find me a better deal on whatever speaker you want to bring into this thread.

So lets see the better sounding ($25 per speaker) list here so that guys on a budget can surpass this deal I mentioned.

Jeff

p/s the cabinets are not that light the specs given are wrong, because the shipping weight is 37lbs each for the floor standing models.

Do you mind taking a few photos on the bookshelf and floorstanders please. Can you also weight them on a scale and see their actual weight is? I also did a few research last night and I found another company called Dream Acoustics that sells identical speakers but different modeling.

Whomever raises their hand against the water lords, Loses that hand. Vaska "The Witcher"
post #24 of 33 Old 03-26-2007, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

How about if we provide you a list of 25 dollar speakers that suck equally as much?
post #25 of 33 Old 03-26-2007, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

If you want reasonably priced high WAF speakers I would suggest you check out AV123s latest itteration of the X series. Unofficial pictures can be found on their forum.

http://av123forum.com/showthread.php?t=19785&page=11
post #26 of 33 Old 04-22-2007, 03:13 PM

I have bought the tower speakers from The Source in Canada for 65 dollars each. Now I'm not no audiophile or anything but I think these speakers are great for someone building a budget system. And how can you say they are white van crap if they are at a show like CES? Also I was reading one review where it said they compare to other high quality manufacturers such as energy, sony, yamaha, infinity etc. I'm definately going to pick up their center and book shelves later this month.
post #27 of 33 Old 07-12-2007, 02:25 PM

Where do i buy them? I am located in NYC and the main office of Pure Acoustics is also in NYC (Brooklyn to be exact).
post #28 of 33 Old 11-29-2007, 02:02 PM

Pure Acoustics. They're availabe at Sears? Price is very reasonable. Not sure how they will sound though. Anybody purchased their stuff?
post #29 of 33 Old 11-30-2007, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnerg View Post

it said they compare to other high quality manufacturers such as energy, sony, yamaha, infinity etc.

Neither Sony nor Yamaha belong on a list of "high quality manufacturers" where their speakers are concerned!
post #30 of 33 Old 12-15-2007, 01:10 PM

Sears internet offering looks interesting...can't be too bad since they are working on an image(I suspect) and competing with BB. If anyone has seen or heard them give a holler. I am going to give them look. Chinese makers are capable of quality items given the proper guidelines
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page