Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHarding View Post

I updated my Natalie P project page.

My Natalie P Project

It looks nicer with more pictures and info. Pictures of the crossovers too.

Cool web site.

Check this little tidbit out for placement info.

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/how...placement.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 356 Old 09-28-2006, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

A foot away from the side and back walls? I thought the Nat Ps were built to be placed against the back wall?
post #333 of 356 Old 09-28-2006, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A foot away from the side and back walls? I thought the Nat Ps were built to be placed against the back wall?

No, most speakers are not designed to be placed that close to a wall.
post #334 of 356 Old 09-28-2006, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

That's gonna be a problem, then.. my bed is only a couple feet away from the right speaker. Moving the speaker out further will make it impossible to get past the bed to the door.
post #335 of 356 Old 09-28-2006, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's gonna be a problem, then.. my bed is only a couple feet away from the right speaker. Moving the speaker out further will make it impossible to get past the bed to the door.

To be fair, this would be a "issue" with pretty much any speaker you bought. As long as there is room for the rear port to breathe freely, you will be ok .
post #336 of 356 Old 09-28-2006, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

I got them positioned 6 inches from the back wall. I hope that's good enough.

I also have them positioned 6 feet apart, which was almost where they were to begin with with a 3 inch difference.
post #337 of 356 Old 10-07-2006, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

This topic died again..

I figured out why my PC was quieter than the PS2. When playing CDs on Media Player, it would play them digitally, which seemed to lower the loudness of the original song. So I turned off all digital playback on Windows. My DVD-RW drive is connected to the soundcard by both digital and analog wires. When I play on the digital wire, it's louder than built-in digital playback. Analog is even louder than that, but it also has lower sound quality.

I bought a roll of iron-on laminate, which will be here Wednesday. Hopefully this will be better than the stick-on stuff.
post #338 of 356 Old 10-07-2006, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got them positioned 6 inches from the back wall. I hope that's good enough.

I also have them positioned 6 feet apart, which was almost where they were to begin with with a 3 inch difference.

That sounds like you've done the best you could considering your room.
post #339 of 356 Old 10-07-2006, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

I'm trying to wait patiently for the funds to build the subwoofers. I should never have bought that TV because of all the money I owe on it, and I think an LCD or Plasma TV would have been a better choice for the price. Tube TVs have gone downhill lately.

Here's a thought..

A 12" 250 watt subwoofer in each of the stands connected to the front two channels, and a 15" 500 watt subwoofer positioned behind the TV connected to the subwoofer out.

Well I didn't say it wasn't a crazy thought..
post #340 of 356 Old 10-11-2006, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

I got the iron-on laminate today and laminated one speaker. There was only enough to laminate one speaker. It was easier to apply, and doesn't peel at the edges as easily. However, the edges still don't look professional. I'm not sure what speaker companies use to laminate their speakers, but their edges come out nicer. Also, this laminate leaves a lot of sticky residue on the surface, which is difficult to remove.

I think just painting these would have been easier.

update: They're looking better now. I used oil to remove the sticky residue, and trimmed the edges tighter. I'll post pictures on my project page as soon as I'm ready to.
post #341 of 356 Old 12-29-2006, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

It's been a while since I've posted anything here. Just want to let everyone know that I finally got the Behringer A500 studio amp.

It's awesome.. the Natalie Ps combined with the A500.. it's superb. The Nats still lack low-end bass, but there's clarity, power, and even more of the hidden sounds in songs are surfacing. Echoes, reverb.. they're all present and accounted for. My Yamaha receiver sounded muffled when I used it with the Nat Ps. But the A500 seems to have brought the speakers to true life. Some say the A500 sounds harsh. This is most likely the amp's clean watts. They're very clean sounding. Sparkling, even.

Anyone out there wanting to build these Nat Ps should get a 4ohm amp with at least 200 watts per channel. 100 just isn't good enough for these babies.
post #342 of 356 Old 12-29-2006, 05:26 PM

JDHarding, I just wanted to let you know that I'm finding myself at the same place that you started from. Namely, liking Polk speakers only to find that they have been improved. You've come a long way since this July and I've gained a lot of insight in following your quest.

Because of that fact I'm also thinking of attempting a DIY project of my own.

I do have a request that you repost some of your pictures because they are now dead links. Thanks
post #343 of 356 Old 12-29-2006, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

You can find all of the Natalie P pictures over at my website.. JDHarding.org

The setup has changed a bit from those pics. I moved everything to a different wall, and added a big component stand for all of the amps and such I plan on getting. I'll have 5 of these A500s when I'm done.
post #344 of 356 Old 12-30-2006, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

It seems I'm getting the distortion that people are talking about with this amp. When the gain on both channels is turned up to max, there is a very audible distorted hum. I didn't notice it before because my PC is pretty loud and covers up the noise. However, this hum is only there when both RCA channels are connected at the same time. When one is disconnected, the amp is quiet at max gain. So the RCA inputs may have issues. This amp might work better in mono bridged with only one RCA connected.

The cables I'm using were built by me using Belden 1694A and matching Canare RCA plugs. The same stuff Blue Jeans Cable sells.

Another odd thing I've noticed is when trying to turn my receiver to full volume it shuts itself off. Very odd. I don't know if this has anything to do with the amp or not, but it didn't do this before.
post #345 of 356 Old 12-30-2006, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, this might be a grounding problem. My house isn't grounded. It was built long before grounding was used. So none of the electrical outputs are grounded. And I don't know how to fix this problem. I don't want to try rewiring the house since it's a rental. Is there a simple way to fix this?
post #346 of 356 Old 12-30-2006, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I was wrong. The RCA connections on this thing are junk. Complete junk. Using the 1/4" connections, the hum is completely gone. So I'll be picking up a couple RCA to 1/4" adapters for it. Currently I'm using what I had lying around, which is a stereo RCA to 1/8" adapter connected to a stereo 1/4" to 1/8" adapter.. it's crazy, but it helped remove the noise in the channel I used it on. The other one, still connected via RCA, still has noise.

So if you get this amp, make sure to use either the XLR or 1/4" inputs.
post #347 of 356 Old 12-30-2006, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Aaah yes.. much better..

The 1/4" jacks are deffinately better quality. I don't know what's wrong with the RCA jacks on this thing, but they don't work when used together. Mono bridged mode would work fine for the RCA jacks.
post #348 of 356 Old 12-30-2006, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's been a while since I've posted anything here. Just want to let everyone know that I finally got the Behringer A500 studio amp.

It's awesome.. the Natalie Ps combined with the A500.. it's superb. The Nats still lack low-end bass, but there's clarity, power, and even more of the hidden sounds in songs are surfacing. Echoes, reverb.. they're all present and accounted for. My Yamaha receiver sounded muffled when I used it with the Nat Ps. But the A500 seems to have brought the speakers to true life. Some say the A500 sounds harsh. This is most likely the amp's clean watts. They're very clean sounding. Sparkling, even.

Anyone out there wanting to build these Nat Ps should get a 4ohm amp with at least 200 watts per channel. 100 just isn't good enough for these babies.

I thought it would work well with the Natalie Ps.

What do you mean they still lack low-end bass? How low are you talking about? They should play down to 35Hz pretty well.
post #349 of 356 Old 12-30-2006, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

They lack the boom only a subwoofer, or speakers with 10+ inch woofers can create.
post #350 of 356 Old 12-31-2006, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Do you still have plans of doing a 12" sub into each stand?
post #351 of 356 Old 12-31-2006, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Yep.
post #352 of 356 Old 01-01-2007, 04:59 PM

JDHarding, now that you have some success with speaker construction how would you rate the experience? Have you gone back and compared the sound quality of any commercial brands that you thought you liked? Do you think the Natalie P's are comparable to (or better than) the Ascend CMT340's?
post #353 of 356 Old 01-01-2007, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

I've never compared them to any high-end speakers due to the lack of high-end speaker sellers in this area. We got Best Buy and Circuit City. And the Nat Ps blow everything they sell away as far as clarity and quality. BB and CC have speakers with more bass due to larger woofers, or a built-in subwoofer, but as far as sound quality, only the Nat Ps really produce good quality. I still have my Polk center channel connected, and the Nat Ps sound better than that. However, I think the Polk has more bass. But the Polk does not have a crossover in it (because I broke it), so it's flying blind.

As far as construction's concerned.. it was a pain. The sawdust, the cutting, the router work, the gluing, sanding, it was all a pain. The crossovers were easy. Everything else was a pain. If I had to do it again, I'd deffinately do some things differently, such as purchase some actual crossover pin boards from Parts Express and build the crossovers on those instead of plywood. Get the good router bit the first time around. Etc.

I dunno. I'll be building the subs and surrounds this summer, so I'm willing to do it again.
post #354 of 356 Old 01-03-2007, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

I just picked up some Carol 14/4 cable to add to the setup. I've combined the 4 conductors into 2, and added banana plugs to the ends. I think the combination equals 11 guage. Not sure, though. It's a little smaller than the 10 guage stuff.
post #355 of 356 Old 01-03-2007, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Just now hooked it up. Seems to sound fine. Only cost me $30 for 30 ft.
post #356 of 356 Old 04-12-2007, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Forget about that, and go here:
http://www.jdharding.org/cd_albums.php
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page