Need a new setup - Polk Audio R30's suck - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2006, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a pair of Polk Audio RT25 speakers many years ago, and after treating them poorly (by mounting them, and unmounting them, drilling holes in them, having them accidentally fall off the speaker stands many times) they eventually started sounding crappy.

During owning them I also purchased a Polk Audio center speaker. I don't remember the model number, but there were only 2 at The Good Guys and I bought the cheaper 2 speaker one instead of the 4 speaker one. I think it's an old CS1.

Anyway, the quality of the center speaker was great, and after the RT25's died, I decided to go for some floorstanding speakers. Polk Audio had been good to me, so I went with a pair of cheap R30s. They were Circuit City's floor models and only cost me $170 for the pair.

At first they sounded okay, but I'm not satisfied with them. There's not enough thump, not enough sound, and the sound isn't as clear as the center speaker. I have a Yamaha RX-V650 feeding them with Blue Jeans Cable 10ga. speaker cable and compression banana plugs, which did make them sound better, but they still have no bang. I doubt a subwoofer would help much because these speakers are not very powerful to begin with.

I've been looking around for good replacement floorstanders, and came across Streem Audio speakers. The price is right for my budget, but the reviews I've seen on this site suggest otherwise.

Should I just go with an MTM Polk Audio floorstanding design? Anyone have any luck or experience with the dual midrange setup? I'm not looking for a bunch of low-end bass. I'm looking for kick from the woofers and nice clarity from the midrange and tweeters without ear-piercing hiss. I'm looking for power. Polk Audio seems to be the only manufacturer that lives up to this, but their R30s fell very short with me. Sadly, they didn't come with a warranty so I couldn't take them back. Now I'm stuck with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2006, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, the center speaker wasn't a CS1, it was more like a CS300 or 400. CS1's are their newer models.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The price is right for my budget...

What is your budget?
Old 07-30-2006, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

I usually like purchasing each piece one at a time over the course of several months. The highest I'll go for any pair of speakers, a center speaker, rear speakers, or a subwoofer is $400. The pair of front speakers would have to be $400 together 'cause nobody sells them seperately.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:28 AM
wje
AVS Special Member

Rule #1: Don't buy demo speakers unless you know the retailer/dealer well, and how their equipment is used.
Rule #2: See Rule #1.

Seriously. The only used speakers I'd buy are those from a higher-end retailer or from a private seller. Speakers that were display models in Circuit City are prone to too much abuse. I'm sure that might be part of the problem with the sound. People abuse that gear, there. Also, it sounds like you have champagne tastes, but like to follow a beer budget. You might be expecting a bit too much from the tier that you're buying in.

Now, with that off my chest, you could probably get a good bookshelf speaker and allow your sub to handle the lower frequencies. This would provide you with the thump your looking for.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:04 AM

Subwoofer, subwoofer, subwoofer. Did I mention subwoofer. It will make a HUGE difference. Subwoofer.

I have R50s and ran them at large on my receiver when playing War of the Worlds. I would not recommend anyone do that. After hooking up a subwoofer and setting the towers to small, sounds fantastic.

Subwoofer.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

I wouldn't consider it champagne taste. More like wine cooler taste.

The problem with the design of the R30s is that they're floor standing speakers with a 6 inch woofer and a port tube on the bottom. The port tube was supposed to offer more bass, but instead they lose bass due to this design. I'm thinking the MTM floor standing or bookshelf speakers would provide better thump with the dual mid designs.

A subwoofer might help, but like I said I'm not that interested in low-end. I'm interested in getting a good bang rather than a loud boom.

These R30s were probably just abused and the woofers got damaged.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Well if you were ever interested in DIY, you could get a really nice pair of speakers for ~$400.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

I have no wood-working tools. The boxes would have to be built by someone else. I did try the Dayton BR-1 kit, and they did sound okay, but the speakers themselves were too bulky and the high-end was hissy.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
i'm with the subwoofer option. for no more oomph than you are looking for a 10" would prolly suite nicely and you dont have to crank it up. but, rather have it compliment the towers and alleviate any strain on them from the lower freqs.

God Bless America
Guy
Old 07-30-2006, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

I'd still have to replace my R30s with new front speakers. And my center speaker needs to be replaced with a Polk CS1 or CS2.

Polk's Monitor 50s look good. A possible candidate for replacements. However, the woofers are even smaller than what I have now, and would almost require a subwoofer to fill in the gaps.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHarding View Post

I'd still have to replace my R30s with new front speakers. And my center speaker needs to be replaced with a Polk CS1 or CS2.

Polk's Monitor 50s look good. A possible candidate for replacements. However, the woofers are even smaller than what I have now, and would almost require a subwoofer to fill in the gaps.

You think the R30s are messed up, but, they just don`t play bass all that low or well, IMO. You are looking at other options to your problem other than a sub, when, all you really need is the sub. I suspect your R30s are fine and you would be suprised at the difference a sub would make.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Perhaps. I'll have to do some homework on subs, then. I still need a new center speaker due to damage. I don't want to explain the damage here, 'cause you guys would think I'm nuts. :P

With the front and center speakers aside, I still need 4 surround speakers for 7.1 surround. I'm torn between bipole and direct speakers. And with Polk's bipole prices, it would seem strange spending twice as much on the surround speakers than I did on the fronts.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

deffinately look into a sub. it is a night and day difference. especially when what you are relying on now is a 6.5" driver.

God Bless America
Guy
Old 07-30-2006, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Are you sure a 10" is all I need? The only Polk 10" is 50 watts. My PC sub is stronger than that at 100 watts. It's only 8" though. The Polk 12" might be better at 100 watts. I remember owning a klipsch 50 watt 10" sub that was horrible and distorted. I traded it in and upgraded to a Polk 10" downfiring sub with 150 watts of power (a $350 sub at the time, the enclosure was HUGE). That was way too much. So I'm thinking 100 watts would be a good middle point. Plus my Yamaha receiver is 100 watts per channel. So it would match.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Are you open to selling off all this Polk stuff you bought and getting into another brand? Buy cheap you wind up buying twice.

Russ
Old 07-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

i never said anything about a polk brand sub. personally i don't care much for their subs. it depends on your price range and room size. i just stated a 10" cause it didnt sound like you were craving deep picture rattling bass. i currently have a 10" onkyo sub in my 20x20x8 living room and for what it is it does pretty decent. it bottoms out pretty easy and has excessive port noice and i am currently building a new one to replace it. you could easily piece one together from Parts Express with minimal building skills. you could look at their kits they have availiable or pick the parts you want. i wouldnt worry about the wattage matching your recievers wattage either, that's pointless. what's your budget for the sub?

God Bless America
Guy
Old 07-30-2006, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have no wood-working tools. The boxes would have to be built by someone else. I did try the Dayton BR-1 kit, and they did sound okay, but the speakers themselves were too bulky and the high-end was hissy.

Too bulky? Do you have a size limit?

This design is good.

Someone built a pair for fairly "cheap".

I love mine. I used these cabinets.

You could also check these out.

This cabinet would work.

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but I bet there is a DIYer nearby who would be willing to help you out.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

The only Polk 10" is 50 watts.

Nobody said you need to get a Polk sub. Look at SVS PB10 for example.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

Old 07-30-2006, 12:14 PM

I have THIS Athena 10in sub paired with my Polk R50s and think its a fantastic bargain. You will need to adjust it , as it sounds boomy out of the box.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

All good ideas.

I don't think I'd sell of my Polk speakers unless someone's willing to pay me good for them, and pick them up themselves. I'm not gonna do ebay, and I ain't shipping them. For the price I paid for the front speakers, I wouldn't get enough return to buy another pair.

As far as other brands go.. I've yet to find a brand I like more than Polk. I've had experience with Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Polk, Klipsch, JBL, Dayton, and several cheap-o brands, and the only one I thought was decent and clear sounding was the Polk. The Dayton was pretty decent too, but the tweeter was a little hissy, and the speaker was bulky sitting on top of stands. It kept falling off of the stands, too. This is why I went with floorstanding speakers this time. Less chance of them falling over.

I've got a budget of $400 for a sub. I've got a budget of, uhm.. probably $2000 for all the speakers.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As far as other brands go.. I've yet to find a brand I like more than Polk. I've had experience with Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Polk, Klipsch, JBL, Dayton, and several cheap-o brands, and the only one I thought was decent and clear sounding was the Polk.

Umm, yeah... you've been looking at all the wrong brands. May I suggest expanding your horizons past the regular chain stores such as Best Buy or Circuit City? Look at Paradigm, Monitor Audio, B&W, PSB... And if you want to stay with BB, check out the floorstanding Athenas, although I'm not sure if BB actually carries that model locally...

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

Old 07-30-2006, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Washington has none of those kinds of stores. And I don't want to purchase them online. It's very expensive to ship something back. I have to go in the store and see and hear the speakers for myself. I live near Tacoma, Washington. The only stores here are Best Buy, CC, CompUSA, Target, Walmart, K-mart, Costco, etc. Very small selection of speaker brands.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Dayton was pretty decent too, but the tweeter was a little hissy, and the speaker was bulky sitting on top of stands.

Just so you know, that Dayton BR1 kit is hardly representative of the rest of the Dayton lineup. The reference series drivers are the real deal, and they are fairly expensive.

These are fantastic 3-way sealed floorstanders.

And you said you had no woodworking tools? Well you could always have a cabinetmaker build them for you...or maybe find a local DIYer who would be willing to help you out in exchange for beer/etc.

Here is a thread comparing them to some PSBs.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I was referring to dedicated high(er) end audio stores. Go onto the websites of the manufacturers I mentioned and locate your local dealer where you'll be able to audition them. Tacoma is not exactly the end of the world with Seattle nearby.

Old 07-30-2006, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, I checked, and Tacoma Mall has Magnolia Hi-Fi. That's about as good as I can get. They carry Monitor Audio and most of those brands you mentioned. They might be too rich for my wallet, though.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

There's a Paradigm dealer in Bellevue. I haven't checked the other mfg sites.

Old 07-30-2006, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Bellevue is pretty far away from where I live.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Parts Express has several Dayton speaker kits using their more expensive drivers. Are these worth looking into?
Old 07-30-2006, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Worth looking into, sure, but they wouldn't be as good as the designs on the forum I linked to. For some reason, there aren't any Reference series kits available.