Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #61 of 66 Old 09-15-2006, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Frankly, after hearing the Orbs on two occaisions (to be fair, not under ideal circumstances) and reading the measurements, I wonder how many people would prefer them over many other satelittes (including bose) in a blind test. I suspect they are just another in a series of desperate desires to find a little speaker that can sound good. A tweeter, a midrange driver, and a cabinet that can cover nicely down to 120 (at a a bare minimum) or hopefully lower is not really open for debate , imo. Trying to choose the best of a hopelessly flawed category of speakers is bound to be an excercise in futility. I believe ,though, that there is a reason that no one has done any large scale blind comparisons within this category of speakers, and that people who compare a small sat system with something just a bit more substantial (large sats /small bookshelf speakers), find the differance to be significant. If your picking for looks and miniture size, that's fine but, don't kid yourself into believing your going to find the one speaker in that category that defys physics and blows away the competion.

Sorry, did that seem a little harsh?
My apologies.

Quote:
Maybe someday in the future we will be able to quantify perceived Sound Quality .
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 66 Old 09-15-2006, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude
I believe ,though, that there is a reason that no one has done any large scale blind comparisons within this category of speakers...
Could you point me to any large scale blind comparisons within any speaker category? I'd love to read some scientifically rigorous blind tests between speakers (with results) but in my 40 years of audiophilia, I don't think I've come across any such animal.

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.

Hometown team
post #63 of 66 Old 09-15-2006, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, didn't mean scientificly or statistically significant in this case, just something with more than a couple of people so we could get something of a concencus.

Quote:
Maybe someday in the future we will be able to quantify perceived Sound Quality .
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #64 of 66 Old 09-15-2006, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude
Frankly, after hearing the Orbs on two occaisions (to be fair, not under ideal circumstances) and reading the measurements, I wonder how many people would prefer them over many other satelittes (including bose) in a blind test. I suspect they are just another in a series of desperate desires to find a little speaker that can sound good. A tweeter, a midrange driver, and a cabinet that can cover nicely down to 120 (at a a bare minimum) or hopefully lower is not really open for debate , imo. Trying to choose the best of a hopelessly flawed category of speakers is bound to be an excercise in futility. I believe ,though, that there is a reason that no one has done any large scale blind comparisons within this category of speakers, and that people who compare a small sat system with something just a bit more substantial (large sats /small bookshelf speakers), find the differance to be significant. If your picking for looks and miniture size, that's fine but, don't kid yourself into believing your going to find the one speaker in that category that defys physics and blows away the competion.

Sorry, did that seem a little harsh?
My apologies.
Schadenfreude,

Was the Orb Super 8 sub being used when you listened to the Orbs, and do you recall if there were 1 or 2 orb speakers per channel? Thanks
post #65 of 66 Old 09-15-2006, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Once , I believe it was, the second time it was a Mirage sub. One time was singles the second duals, but again, to be fair, the amount of time was less than I'd have liked and the source material wasn't my own.

Quote:
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #66 of 66 Old 09-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by droht

More confusion here. The review that is linked is a positive review. Better than reviews for some of the speakers that are constantly recommended here. No disrespect intended, but I really wonder if the size of the orb audio speakers is just an issue that some people can't overcome. Bigger has always been better, and these things are tiny. I won't make the requisite 'manhood' joke here. I think I will still pull the trigger on the orbs, but some of you guys are making me second guess again!
Look I am not cracking on the orbs with 3" drivers.They should be fine if space and WAF is an issue .If you have space for a bookshelf with a 5.25 " driver or better,and the ability to play down to atleast 80hz the op is better off.On paper and by ear these small sats are not in the same league as a good bookshelf.One can either x high(190hz) and hear voices through the sub.Or x at 80 with a big ol hole.If one wants small sats like the orbs then fine.IMO the op needs to know the shortcommings of small sats with 3" drivers like the orbs, or any other for that matter.
Closed Thread Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page