Bose Attack. Ouch that Hurts - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 941 Old 08-08-2006, 05:50 PM
CFP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My uncle has a BOSE system (no idea which) and it sounded okay to my ears when I heard it. I obviously have no idea how much it cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 941 Old 08-08-2006, 07:37 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasV555
That's just what I would expect from an indepedant.
Touche!
post #183 of 941 Old 08-08-2006, 07:40 PM

Am I the only one here that thinks it is time for the mods to lock this one?
post #184 of 941 Old 08-08-2006, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
WELL, AS I SAID IT COULD BE DONE, now for the downsides.....

I don't know that the ipod options or Olive will output the server info to screen (meta-data & cover-art) with the set-ups mentioned. (?)

While I agree the looks shouldn't be important, I see , everyday, gay men, men w/wives who wear the pants, people who are very space challenged, men who are not gay but decorate like they are, etc., so the larger speakers are out in the comparison with these people. For many, the all in one box thing is also tough to overcome (see above reasons)
Also the lack of technical sophistication with the average person is difficult for many of us to fathom, but no doubt most of us know dozens who could as easily perform brain surgery as hook up any normal system. The programming of a remote (maybe other than a harmony) is out of the question even without factoring in some sort of music server functionality (for the record, I would go with the escient fireball) . The set-up of a media server involves a whole other skill set that many don't have (or don't want to bother with).

Quote:
NAD DVD/Receiver - ~$850
I once used an arcam and also an integra also to keep the number/size of boxes down in this scenario, good plan.

Quote:
5.1 NHT system - ~$1150
WHICH ONE? small, white? sub that fits behind couch?
Quote:
Music server (Olive?) - ~$1000
on-screen (tv) info? I didn't see any video outputs listed on a quick write up I browsed.

Quote:
MX600 - ~$200
I thought the rf was extra , and that the remote cost more, and ,my god, to program the system you laid out would fetch us @ $300 for progamming ASSUMING everything mentioned has discrete commands (no toads)
Quote:
Cables, installation and programming (how much easier it THAT!) - ~$500
Instalation and cables for that, you must be setting some low price records! ?Mexican labor?
:)
Quote:
One box that does EQ, DVD, CD, and Music server w/ profiles
and on-screen display.
Quote:
Expandable to other zones
Oh yeah, forgot that one...is the rcvr dvd combo a zone 2 piece? Does the combo have an auto-EQ ?
Quote:
the remote has an LCD screen that tells you what is playing
God, I didn't even know that...kinda makes the MX200 a bit inadequate.

Quote:
they could use Alimental's suggestion system and pay someone to install and still save money.
Go ahead and try, in fact I think he's still short in a few respects and VERY optimistic on cables, labor and programming, unless he wants to donate a lot of programming effort to try to duplicate Bose's simplicity - - - call a local custom retailer/installer and get an estimate.

Look, I don't like them, in fact I have to work around these obstacles all the time, but I hate the knee jerk reaction, that supposes that it is so impossibly ignorant for people to buy them, and that they aren't providing a reasonable alternative and well thought out feature rich product for the average trogladite.
The best way to open the door is to expose people to better sound through extensive auditioning and thereby attack the BIG weak spot of little Bose cubes.

Quote:
Maybe someday in the future we will be able to quantify perceived Sound Quality .
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #185 of 941 Old 08-08-2006, 09:41 PM

I think what irks most people about Bose, is not that they they don't make decent speakers, it's that their speakers are marketed as something they aren't- and are often, but not always, priced too high as a result of it.
post #186 of 941 Old 08-08-2006, 10:21 PM

This is in no way meant to be inflammatory - but could any one of you who replied by saying "there are better setups that cost less than Bose" please tell me to what set up you refer. Any examples.

I've been researching for my new HT setup and to each question I post anywhere I am invariably met with answers that start with "it depends ...."

So far I've gathered that SVS subs offer the best value in subs. Receivers are a whole dilemma - noone wants to give an answer unless they actually walk through my house. Speakers are subjective, I don't see much agreement.

Please ... please ... give an example when you say you can get a better set up than Bose for less (or the same money). I need to know where to spend my $3000.
post #187 of 941 Old 08-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

It's hard to tell you exactly what to buy becasue everyone has different tastes.

There are speakers made by svs, onix, ascend, paradigm, psb, Tannoy, Klipsch, Energy, etc. that would all sound great to different people, depending on their tastes.

If you want something quick and easy and don't want to spend the time demoing speakers to decide what you like then just do this:

Buy 3 pairs of paradigm mini monitors: ~ $1000

Call SVS and ask them which subwoofer is right for you. They will ask you about your room setup and suggest the correct model, they will not oversell you: $500-$1000

Buy the Denon 2807 receiver: ~$700

Spend the rest on cables from Bluejeanscable.com

Enjoy.
post #188 of 941 Old 08-09-2006, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJRothman
It's hard to tell you exactly what to buy because everyone has different tastes.

I personally loathe iPod; I would use some other MP3 device.

I like Denon & Pioneer Elite; some people like Yamaha & others.

I like this brand of speakers; they like that brand.

etc...; etc...

Point is:
You can do better for the money...

Don't waste your money on Bose; they are overpriced, lo-fi junk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink
Mr. Cialella is, without question, the AVS honorary MOST ADMIRED PERSON OF THE YEAR.:D
post #189 of 941 Old 08-09-2006, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought we were trying to see what systems could include ALL the functionality of a lifestyle sytem for less money so as to give those types of people who might be inclined to buy one an alternative.

Quote:
Maybe someday in the future we will be able to quantify perceived Sound Quality .
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #190 of 941 Old 08-09-2006, 05:49 AM

Obviously I'm biased towards what I sell, but here is a system that I would love to sell to a client (most of my clients go a little more expensive than this)
  1. Sherwood R-771, Multi-Zone A/V Receiver - $600
  2. Sherwood VD-4108 DVD Player - $150
  3. PSB Alpha Mini Theater 5.1 System - $895
  4. Apple Video IPod 30GB - $299
  5. Channel Vision AB-311 iPod Wall Dock (w/video out) - $280
  6. Pair PSB Alpha LR1 (for 2nd zone) - $200
  7. Universal Remote RFS200 Master Control Powerpak (remote + wireless transmitter + pre-programmed) - $100
  8. Installation + cables - $1,500

Total Cost - $4,024

Admittedly, installation of the Wall Dock and 2nd zone speakers would be of the simplest variety (e.g. running under basement and drilling holes for access), but you get a pretty sweet system, plus you can put the IPod wall dock right next to the front door so when you walk in the house, just dock the IPod, hit play, and you've got music throughout your house.

Critical Listener
"Beyond the Equipment"
HAA Certified
post #191 of 941 Old 08-09-2006, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

O.k., that's a good one for me...and those that know and love ipod based devices
now here's the downside:
between all the components and wiring, especially the ipod and dock (even if you were even allowed to cut into the walls- worse if you couldn't), you still are computer dependant for downloads (which requires that skill set from consumers- along with the downloads costs and trouble)
The other thing is the remote...while I am not familiar with it, what confidence level do you have in it's of ease of use: think housewife, grandpa, little kids?
does the remote look like the bose and how good is it's macro potential? how easy for multi-room control? I suspect the remote is the week link here.
I'll look at the remote later to see, but thought someone who was familiar could sound off.
Keep in mind that installation cost will be very "situationally dependant"
We are getting closer though......
NEXT?

Quote:
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #192 of 941 Old 08-09-2006, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude
I thought we were trying to see what systems could include ALL the functionality of a lifestyle sytem for less money so as to give those types of people who might be inclined to buy one an alternative.

Nope, only you. You just won't let the Bose thing die. :cool:

Time to close the thread mods. :D

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #193 of 941 Old 08-09-2006, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

c'mon, I know there are people up to the challenge of creating the alternate systems...we've had a couple that have been close....

Quote:
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #194 of 941 Old 08-09-2006, 06:32 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
c'mon, I know there are people up to the challenge of creating the alternate systems...we've had a couple that have been close....
Admittedly the music storage is a unique feature, but is found only on the two top Lifestyle models. The others ($3,000 and below) are just a receiver, CD player, and speakers. Any decent combination of those three items will blow the Bose out of the water.
post #195 of 941 Old 08-09-2006, 06:41 AM

Quote:
O.k., that's a good one for me...and those that know and love ipod based devices
now here's the downside:
between all the components and wiring, especially the ipod and dock (even if you were even allowed to cut into the walls- worse if you couldn't), you still are computer dependant for downloads (which requires that skill set from consumers- along with the downloads costs and trouble)
The other thing is the remote...while I am not familiar with it, what confidence level do you have in it's of ease of use: think housewife, grandpa, little kids?
does the remote look like the bose and how good is it's macro potential? how easy for multi-room control? I suspect the remote is the week link here.
I'll look at the remote later to see, but thought someone who was familiar could sound off.
Keep in mind that installation cost will be very "situationally dependant"
Schadenfreude,

I 100% completely agree that the Bose system offers an ease of use benefit that is hard to beat.

However, the system I assembled above offers second zone speakers installed - something I would expect would cost another $1,000 from the Bose system.
The Universal Remote is very easy to use - maybe not as easy as the Bose, but darn easy. Plus it comes with the wireless transmitter, which means if you want to shut off the TV (which doesn't have RF) while the kids are downstairs and you're upstairs in the kitchen, you can do it [this is very attractive to Mom's who know that getting the kids to the dinner table often requires the TV be off]. The Bose remote will make you walk downstairs to do it.

And while the IPod does create a computer-dependent music server, the IPod adds the ability to take a jog around the block and keep the music with you.

I highly doubt if two different people bought these systems, that the person who bought the Bose system would say: "You might have a better sounding system, a second zone that is functioning, a remote that works with your infrared devices from a different room, music and/or video that starts when you walk into your house and dock your IPod, music and/or video that you can go for a walk/jog with, but all that means nothing because my Lifestyle media server is computer independent"

Quote:
We are getting closer though......
NEXT?
I don't think we got close, I think we blew past the Bose Lifestyle system for the price. Maybe the Bose system beats out my system on ease of use (remote being designed for exactly that purpose), but in every other category the system I assembled beats it (and comes with two more speakers).

Critical Listener
"Beyond the Equipment"
HAA Certified
post #196 of 941 Old 08-09-2006, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalListener
Obviously I'm biased towards what I sell, but here is a system that I would love to sell to a client (most of my clients go a little more expensive than this)
  1. Sherwood R-771, Multi-Zone A/V Receiver - $600
  2. Sherwood VD-4108 DVD Player - $150
  3. PSB Alpha Mini Theater 5.1 System - $895
  4. Apple Video IPod 30GB - $299
  5. Channel Vision AB-311 iPod Wall Dock (w/video out) - $280
  6. Pair PSB Alpha LR1 (for 2nd zone) - $200
  7. Universal Remote RFS200 Master Control Powerpak (remote + wireless transmitter + pre-programmed) - $100
  8. Installation + cables - $1,500

Total Cost - $4,024

Admittedly, installation of the Wall Dock and 2nd zone speakers would be of the simplest variety (e.g. running under basement and drilling holes for access), but you get a pretty sweet system, plus you can put the IPod wall dock right next to the front door so when you walk in the house, just dock the IPod, hit play, and you've got music throughout your house.
Hopefully, I won't get roasted on this thread, for justifying Bose, but let me share with you my personal experience with the Bose LS System :eek:

1. We currently have a Bose LS 48 system in our living room (which is around 15 X 21) and a Def tech Mythos/Denon system in our master bedroom (approximately the same size).

2. I am not an audiophile (and neither is my wife), but we do appreciate good music and movie audio and hence did some research before picking our audio systems. We were looking for a combination of features, performance, aesthetics and cost. Neither systems are the absolute best that we could have got but they seemed to be best for what we were looking for.

3. Compared between the Bose and the Denon/Def Tech system (both 5.1) the Def tech has richer sound and clarity, but the Bose is pretty good and sounds very pleasing to us for movies, CD and stored music.

4. We have around 350 CDs and they are currently stored on both my home PC and the Bose System. We have an ipod dock that is connected to the Denon. There is no comparison in that the stored music from the Bose sounds better than the ipod through the Denon/def Tech. The Bose sounds much clearer. For everything else, the Denon/Def Tech is better.

5. One very good feature of the Bose and stored music is that it comes with an LCD remote that shows you which song is playing, album , artist etc. The remote also allows you to play the entire CD or from a playlist etc. etc. The search function is also very good. Plus, the remote is RF so it works through walls.

6. So, I can walk in through to my home and with a single click of the remote turn on any music I want from my collection! To achieve this I needed zero wiring or set up other than loading the disks.

7. As for the living room itself. The Bose system itself is pretty invisible and given that we use this room a lot, having an uncluttered look was important. We used the AdaptiQ CD that comes with the system to calibrate the sound and to us it sounds very good. In fact for the first 30 days we tested the system extensively since we did not want to keep it, if we thought it wasn't going to be worth it. We have now wirelessly extended the Bose to all rooms expect the master bedroom. So with a click of a remote you can hear any stored music in any part of the home!

8. We paid 4K for the base Bose system with the stored music and personal music control remote and extension speaker for one additional room. I was able to set up and wire the whole thing together in a few hours. I am no AV expert :)

So, if you live in a townhouse or condo (like us) then the Bose may be an excellent AV solution. Of course whether it is worth the cost, is something you will need to decide. In my opinion the SQ is pretty good and I certainly don't detect any lack in highs and lows and mid ranges.

The other thing I noticed is that unlike the Denon the Bose Media Center unit does not get very hot during operation so it can be stored in a drawer without overheating. We have to make sure the Denon is kept well ventilated.

Lastly, the technical support whenever I have needed it from Bose has been very good.

Again, I am not advocating that you go and buy Bose, just that considering it may not be as terrible as some say. If you are like me, someone who likes to hear music and watch movies and cares about good AQ and PQ but isn't an audio or videophile, then the Bose is a good system and I am happy with my purchase. Do I believe the Def Tech/Denon sounds better? Absolutely! Is the Bose crap? Absolutely not! :)

My 2 cents....
post #197 of 941 Old 08-09-2006, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasV555
Too big, too many pieces.
Well, my system is two boxes + speakers! But it does have its own unique pluses.

Personally, I'd do Sonos as the music source which is *far* more powerful than anything in the Bose system. Let's face it, there are *some* advantages to a completely unified system, but it's not reliability, it's not flexibility, it's not expandability and it sure isn't sound quality! The <$3K system I put it is still better than the $4K Bose system. I don't know *how* to put together something as low-fi as the Bose and refuse to do it on principle!

John
post #198 of 941 Old 08-09-2006, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
WELL, AS I SAID IT COULD BE DONE, now for the downsides.....

I don't know that the ipod options or Olive will output the server info to screen (meta-data & cover-art) with the set-ups mentioned. (?)
Not sure, we do Sonos, but you can look them up
Quote:
AZ system.
Quote:

on-screen (tv) info? I didn't see any video outputs listed on a quick write up I browsed.
I don't know, does the Bose play DVD Audio? [/quote]

I thought the rf was extra , and that the remote cost more, and ,my god, to program the system you laid out would fetch us @ $300 for progamming ASSUMING everything mentioned has discrete commands (no toads)[/quote]

We sell the MX600 with the base station for $200.
Quote:

Instalation and cables for that, you must be setting some low price records! ?Mexican labor?
Nah, figure 4 hours at $50/hour for my partner, 14 gauge speaker cable instead of Bose brand lamp cord, and some affordable NXG cables which are very good for the money. Most companies pretty well rape people on labor, $100-$200/hour for people that maybe get paid $15/hour. We don't. Of course, we also aren't rich fat cats either.
Quote:

and on-screen display.
That's why I like the Sonos
Quote:

Oh yeah, forgot that one...is the rcvr dvd combo a zone 2 piece? Does the combo have an auto-EQ ?
Could go either way. And since we're setting it up, auto-EQ isn't needed.
Quote:

Go ahead and try, in fact I think he's still short in a few respects and VERY optimistic on cables, labor and programming, unless he wants to donate a lot of programming effort to try to duplicate Bose's simplicity - - - call a local custom retailer/installer and get an estimate.
Got anyone here in ABQ? You can test me on it if they want such a system :) I can't vouch for anyone else. We know a LOT of installers who won't touch a system under 5 figures and try to get at least $2500 in labor out of every install. But I'd rather do 100 $4000 systems than 10 $40,000 ones, because I'd have 10 times as many happy customers.

John
post #199 of 941 Old 08-09-2006, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Admittedly the music storage is a unique feature, but is found only on the two top Lifestyle models.
Those are the ones I'm talking about.

Quote:
And while the IPod does create a computer-dependent music server, the IPod adds the ability to take a jog around the block and keep the music with you.
Many (sadly) do not tie their entertainment system in ANY way to their computer, even if they know computers. The portability would be a joy for some and a nuisance for others when the hard drive takes a walk with someone and they're at home . The convieniance of dropping your cd in and auto ripping is as complicated as many people would want to get (again, sadly, but it the majority of consumers are to lazy to read more than 1 page of a manual).

Quote:
"You might have a better sounding system, a second zone that is functioning, a remote that works with your infrared devices from a different room, music and/or video that starts when you walk into your house and dock your IPod, music and/or video that you can go for a walk/jog with, but all that means nothing because my Lifestyle media server is computer independent"
Most of those things may not appeal nearly as much as: my whole unit is smaller , the harddrive is always home , the remote is very simple, when I am transferred again, I don't have to patch holes in my plaster (oh wait, hopefully drywall 'cause plaster is going to make the install more difficult in the first place), I don't want to buy Itunes, I don't rip off music, I just want to better store my cd's, etc.
Again, I am not talking about , you, me , and most of those here, I'm talking about John Q Public (and his difficult wife Jane- who insists on small and white) - there are maddingly large numbers of these people out there. You can upsell on sound quality , but don't make it ugly or difficult.

Quote:
Maybe the Bose system beats out my system on ease of use (remote being designed for exactly that purpose),
A big one for most average consumers, and a lynchpin of the debate.

Quote:
but in every other category the system I assembled beats it (and comes with two more speakers).
Except the music storage integration, looks, relocation (moving), and again-how tiny are all those things.

Quote:
One very good feature of the Bose and stored music is that it comes with an LCD remote that shows you which song is playing, album , artist etc. The remote also allows you to play the entire CD or from a playlist etc. etc. The search function is also very good.
Ah, hell, the entire previous post outlines it pretty well.

Quote:
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #200 of 941 Old 08-09-2006, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not sure, we do Sonos, but you can look them up
Yes, at an additional expense to original cost, and another remote.

Quote:
I don't know, does the Bose play DVD Audio?
Almost never brought up by any customer ...never by someone looking for a Bose.

Quote:
We sell the MX600 with the base station for $200.
How long would it take you to program in all the functionalty the bose has into that remote, and how elaborate are it's macro capabilities?

Quote:
Could go either way. And since we're setting it up, auto-EQ isn't needed.
Well, I'd suspect many (not me) wouldn't agree with that.

Quote:
That's why I like the Sonos
More set-up time, computer tie in, computer always on, assumes library of music on computer, another remote-like device, less simplicity, wife screaming, etc.

4 hours to program the remote to the level of functionality of the Bose, hook-up system , optimize for room without auto-eq, network in and set-up the sonos/Olive, explain everything to customer...thats good....so good in fact that I doubt ANY other dealer around most people would quote close to that price...my hat is off to you!

My feeling is that I would like to offer better sound quality , etc., but not give up ANY of the other things that are important to many of these people. It seems that any improvements come with trade-offs, often that are potential dealbreakers for Jane Average .

Quote:
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #201 of 941 Old 08-09-2006, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance
davdev's post was very confusing. I thought he meant it describes him as being a conservative buyer, which is what I am.

It's obvious the other dude is a way left wing Lib, but I never disclosed my political affiliation; I just meant I was a conservative buyer. And when I said "we" took the towers down I didn't mean conservatives, I meant Americans. Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was definatly agreeing that I was a conservative hating lib ... well actually more of a moderate, but I really do hate extreme Conservatives.

I don't really like far left liberals all that much either.

Now, back to why Bose blows ...
post #202 of 941 Old 08-09-2006, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical Listener
Maybe the Bose system beats out my system on ease of use (remote being designed for exactly that purpose)
Quote:
A big one for most average consumers, and a lynchpin of the debate.
If the whole argument comes down to ease of use and small speakers, I'd think a DVD/Clock radio would take the bag. After all there are no speaker wires and the darn thing can be under-counter mounted. :D

For about $2,000 more ($6,000 total), I could replace all speakers (including the 2nd zone) with in-wall speakers. Of course this all requires getting a customer into my showroom to sit down and explain everything in detail because only 1 in every million customers that walk into Best Buy even have a clue what is possible.

Critical Listener
"Beyond the Equipment"
HAA Certified
post #203 of 941 Old 08-09-2006, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdev
Now, back to why Bose blows ...
I'm not yet sure anyone has been able to justify this by providing an equally functioning system that is as easy to operate out of the box.

Mind you, I have not bought a Bose system, and I'm the last sort of person to buy into hype. But I want to know what are the options?

All I hear is Bose sucks and you can get so much more for the money - go ahead. Prove it.

Disclaimer - I have absolutely no affiliation with any audio manufacturer. I work in the healthcare industry.
post #204 of 941 Old 08-09-2006, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

You do get more for your money by going with something other than Bose, and it's been shown, demonstrated, and proven multiple times in this thread. The benefits from integration and ease of use offered by Bose is undeniable, and it is missing from the alternatives. However, this doesn't take away from the fact that those alternatives do offer more for the money. In other words, the features and benefits of the alternatives do not have to be a superset over that of Bose for the "more for your money' claim to be true.
post #205 of 941 Old 08-09-2006, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaCrazy
I'm not yet sure anyone has been able to justify this by providing an equally functioning system that is as easy to operate out of the box.
What good is a system that is easy to operate out of the box if it sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard?
post #206 of 941 Old 08-09-2006, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Mind you, I have not bought a Bose system, and I'm the last sort of person to buy into hype. But I want to know what are the options?

All I hear is Bose sucks and you can get so much more for the money - go ahead. Prove it.

Disclaimer - I have absolutely no affiliation with any audio manufacturer. I work in the healthcare industry.

See I don't care if it is easy for the average grandmother to use out of the box, never factors into any of my decisions. With a little bit of setup, anything can be made easy to use.
post #207 of 941 Old 08-09-2006, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Well, unless you build the entire system, "as easy" isn't as easy to do. But I'm damned sure no one has been able to provide a Bose system that sounds as good, is as reliable, as flexible, as powerful, as expandible as another system. And when the head unit needs a new DVD drive (and it will), you lose *everything*. And if you don't spend the money to get it fixed, you start from scratch. With a normal system such as I and others provided, a DVD is an easy repair or swap out, and you still have your music files and AM/FM tuner. Your whole system doesn't have to get fixed. There are pluses to the Bose system, you can't avoid that, but on the whole, there's no substitute for doing it right. I mean, hey, Sonos is *far* more powerful than what Bose is doing. So I could point out tons of stuff that the Bose can't do at all. Does the Bose have HDMI? 6.1 or 7.1? Lots of input/output flexibility? Nope. I don't think you can control any ancillary gear either with that remote. An MX600 can.

John
post #208 of 941 Old 08-09-2006, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
What John and Davdev just said is exactly how I feel. People want to make it sound like putting together a competent audio system is rocket science. That's complete hogwash. Fine, let bose sell their "easy to use" systems to seniors and women who really place a premium on ease of use. But my God, if the rest of us can't figure out a few damn wires and a user manual, we've got some problems. The interchangablility that John brings up is a great point. Something goes bad or you want to upgrade a component, the rest of your system is still intact. The last thing I want is a system where if one part goes bad the entire thing is screwed. It's like those combo dvd/vcr things....a couple of my friends bought those, and about a year into owning the thing they couldn't watch EITHER format because something went wrong with the player.
post #209 of 941 Old 08-09-2006, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Anything from any of the Internet Direct companies will sound better IMHO (**********, axiomaudio.com, swanspeakers.com, ascendacoustics.com, svsaudio.com, etc).

Head to your local B&M and then go to best buy and listen to Bose (or vice versa). If you don't believe us and want some proof, go listen for yourself. Listen to Paradigm, B&W, Vandersteen, Klipsch, Monitor Audio, Canton, Polk Audio, JBL, NHT, Snell, etc. You can put together a 5.1 system from all of these manufacturers that will sound better than the Bose stuff.

Prove it? I say, prove us wrong! Go out and listen! :D

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #210 of 941 Old 08-09-2006, 12:39 PM

Even the cheap, entry-level Sony stuff will sound better than Bose.
Closed Thread Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page