Bose Attack. Ouch that Hurts - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 941 Old 08-06-2006, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very recently when I mentioned to my little brother that I was going to set up my Bose Acoustimass 7 system in my newly constructed house I was unmercifully attacked with such phrases as Bose sucks. Its cheap overpriced and marketed as something better than it is.

My apelike brother has become a member of this forum and has seemed to have adopted the mentality of some of the elitist members who fancy themselves as authorities as to which speaker systems are worthy and which are not.
After surviving the first round of attacks my goon like brother with his newly found zombie like Bose sucks mentality for no other reason that he has mentioned that the opinion on this forum is his credo wanted to up the ante of his attacks. He exclaimed that he would bring over to me 2 RTI4 Polk speakers and assured me that they would in his words blow away my Bose A7 system. My brother is a lonely man and therfore I accepted his challenge of sorts to see how ****** my A7 system really is. Maybe I do not know something that I should. We agreed that we would just change out wires into the same receiver and leave it at that.

What happened you ask? Well from the look on Frankensteins face you would have thought that MMMMMMMM Bose good, Polk Bad. The bolts in his neck started to glow.First off I never prognosticated any results before hand. From my vantage point the Bose system sounded more balanced and clear. The top end had more crispness and the low end was more pronounced. According to my brother the Bose system has no low end. Judging from the way the sofa was thumpimg from the Bose during our little experiment you could have fooled me. Maybe it was the marketing that was blinding us as has been mentioned on here and is one of the battle cries my brother has adopted. By the way he still owns the A7 system that I have, only it sucks now that he has his new Polk speakers. For the record, the RTI4 speakers did not do what my simple minded brother had said they would do.
And that is to blow away my A7 system

My brother owns a very large and very pricey speaker setup compared to my A7 system. He has separate amps yet he is too stupid to get a nice EQ. My Bose system can't compare with the overall sonic bombardment that his system will produce. But that is not the point. My Bose system fits in with my minimalist decor and the phrase uttered by those that see it saying How can those little speakers make such a big sound is priceless.

My Bose system has given me years of listening enjoyment. They give me enough sound to get into trouble yet are very easy on the eyes. With so many choices on the market one has to choose what is right for their lifestyle. I have enough large Marshall tube amps and cabinets to get the shock and awe thing going anytime, but that is another story.

So what have i learned. First my brother is a tool, a Ring yes that is merely parroting or apeing what he has heard on this forum. My Bose system does not suck. So all the closet Bose owners come out into the sunlight. And finally the words from my alltime favorite band Cheap Trick who by the way are way overdue for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" Rolling numbers, Rocking Rolling, got my Kiss records out!! Surrender, Surrender but don't give it all away!!

Peace Brothas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 941 Old 08-06-2006, 08:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Um... yippie? Bose is overpriced. Glad you like yours. *shrug*

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #3 of 941 Old 08-06-2006, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Powerful stuff coming from an AVS Gold Club Member with over 11K ****ing posts. How in the Hell do you rack up 11K worth of posts? Maybe with the type of short 10 word inarticulate posts up above.

By the way the answer to your quizical question is "those things that create a Tea Bag"
post #4 of 941 Old 08-06-2006, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

And you guys go after the newbies in the Orb threads...LOL

This should keep you busy for awhile.

Russ
post #5 of 941 Old 08-06-2006, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Well if it has done the job and given you years of enjoyment than thats all that really matters . :)
post #6 of 941 Old 08-06-2006, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4life
Well if it has done the job and given you years of enjoyment than thats all that really matters . :)
You are exactly right. I could not have said it better. That sentiment is why I accepted my brothers challenge to post my satisfaction with my Bose system. That and his unrelenting teasing of my system.

Habs4life - you are a man of good judgement By the way what kind of system are you running
post #7 of 941 Old 08-06-2006, 09:11 AM

Liked: 17
Renips,

you make a really great point and I have never heard it said so well. My opinion of Bose has been formed by listening to them, not by their marketing. With all the foney marketing thrown at us via every form of media, it is insulting to think that my positive opinion of Bose could have been formed solely by marketing.

My experiences with Bose:

1) A friend of mine at boarding school (a few years back now) had the little cubes. They killed anything I had heard up until that point. I was just amazed, not by the size but by the sound. At that point I really didn't have any reference to HQ HIFI. I just knew they sounded good.

2) Came across the wave radio in someone's apartment. They clarity, tone and quality sound was overwhelming. Then I looked at the price ($500) and realized I didn't have that much expendible income.

So from these experiences, I have always had a favorable opinion of Bose. Yet, Bose gets killed everywhere audiophiles cohabitate. It seems so contradictory as audiophiles are supposed to recognise and enjoy quality sound by definition!

These forums bring lots of great knowledge to the table, but at a price. There are a lot of snobs who think it is some great achievement to own superior audio equipment.

But I digress.

Question is, what sounds good to YOU! That's what you should buy.
post #8 of 941 Old 08-06-2006, 09:16 AM

Liked: 11
Bose-bashing does seem to run rampant on this forum, but it is not entirely without merit. The simple truth is, FOR THE SAME MONEY OR LESS, a person can assemble a better-sounding system from other manufacturers. Bose does not necessarily sound "bad", and the small footprint and easy operation of their systems appeals to many buyers. However, an examination of the Bose products will quickly reveal their shortcomings. The tiny drivers in the AM7 satellites cannot reach down low enough, causing a hole in the frequency response. The "basscube" is crossed over too high, causing it to be localizable if placed away from the sats. Finally, the bass does not extend low enough to even be considered a subwoofer; it's merely a woofer in it's own enclosure. If you're satisfied with the performance then fine, but don't ever audition a quality system, such as Ascend 340's with an HSU sub. You'll never be satisfied with the Bose system again!
post #9 of 941 Old 08-06-2006, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renips
You are exactly right. I could not have said it better. That sentiment is why I accepted my brothers challenge to post my satisfaction with my Bose system. That and his unrelenting teasing of my system.

Habs4life - you are a man of good judgement By the way what kind of system are you running
Well my main speakers are DIY bi-amplified 3ways using Bryston amps and Bryston active crossover. Also my sub and centre channel speaker are DIY designs.
post #10 of 941 Old 08-06-2006, 09:22 AM

Liked: 14
You see, there's this thing called physics. Bose is subject to the laws of physics just as much as every other speaker manufacturer out there.

Anyway, enjoy feeding the troll...
post #11 of 941 Old 08-06-2006, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Bose has a certain "niche", and a big one at that. They're above the HTIB systems at your big box stores. Same size, but they've figured out the sound at moderate listening levels. Bose is very WAF friendly, which has something to do with their success. Marketing, marketing, marketing is the other reason.

Most wives would not tolerate the "huge" RTi4's in their living room. Sure, they'll sound much better with the right AVR and subwoofer, but it's not the niche the wives are looking for. My Polk RTi setup (7.1 speakers alone) run more than an Acoustimass setup, so the budget argument is out the door. My 3805 runs another $800 or so, and don't forget about the DVD player, all the wiring, etc... A Bose system contains everything you need. Sure, it's not compatible with other equipment, but its an easy setup (dummy proof).

Bose was able to get average (to below average) drivers and amps to sound good with proper eq'ing. Is that a crime? No. They decided to put their $$ to work in advertising. Can you get better sound for the money. Absolutely - but you'd have to come to this site to find out, and then get a degree in electrical engineering to hook everything up. (ie... the HSU Ventriloquist setup with an STF subwoofer and midfi AVR). But, you cannot buy that system in big box stores, and most of the general public won't buy A/V equipment site unseen.

Bose has it's niche - big box stores. It's decent sounding equipment at moderate volume levels at a healthy price. It's very WAF friendly, and not meant for this or similar forum communities. We here have way too much time on our hands, able to shop for better values. To the rest of the general public, A/V is not a hobby. ;)

A man meets a genie. The genie tells him he can ask for whatever he wants, but his mother-in-law gets double of what he gets. The man says give me a million dollars and beat me till I'm half dead.
post #12 of 941 Old 08-06-2006, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

[quote=renips]

We agreed that we would just change out wires into the same receiver and leave it at that.

Proper calibration would have been nice.
post #13 of 941 Old 08-06-2006, 09:32 AM

FLPoolboy,

you are assuming that Bose supporters haven't auditioned HQ systems ie Ascend, Paradigm, Mission, etc.

Look at all the people who drive Hondas and Toyotas. They don't all drive them because they have to. Some people at completely satisfied driving them. They don't all get into their cars reluctantly everyday thinking "Gee, I wish I had someting better."

Yes, the specs on the Bose are inferior by definition of the specs. What you (as a consumer) need to know is if you love the sound or you love the specs. Loving specs is not bad. It is how people get 11K+ posts. Loving good sound isn't bad either.
post #14 of 941 Old 08-06-2006, 09:32 AM

Personally, I don't have many nice things to say about Bose. They're not my cup of tea. But I don't rag on those that own Bose. I'm also not against suggesting Bose to people in certain situations. I'll just give other options, too.

Hey, the real issue is whether you're happy. That's all that matters.

It's your ears and your money. ENJOY!

Beauty is in the eyes (or ears in this case) of the beholder.
post #15 of 941 Old 08-06-2006, 09:34 AM

Quote:
My Bose system can't compare with the overall sonic bombardment that his system will produce. But that is not the point. My Bose system fits in with my minimalist decor and the phrase uttered by those that see it saying How can those little speakers make such a big sound is priceless.

I think you projecting your Bose insecurity onto others and you are lashing out. Don`t be upset, its only audio equipment. :D
post #16 of 941 Old 08-06-2006, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles
You see, there's this thing called physics. Bose is subject to the laws of physics just as much as every other speaker manufacturer out there.

Anyway, enjoy feeding the troll...
What is your statement supposed to mean? You mention Bose and the law of Physics... And your point is...................

You refer to me as a troll. Why because I just discovered the site and have a differing opinion than that of the consensus. Is it maybe that i will need 20,50,100 or more posts to not be considered a troll.

My original post was not meant to flame anyone. It was meant to be humorous and a little antagonistic towards my brother who has seen fit to vocally punishing me for owning the system that I do. I am sure when he gets brave enough hw will respond to this thread. I hope the post is entertaining enough to give you a laugh. Afterall the serious business of audio conversation is at hand

I hope this thread will open the eyes of some people who think they know it all and if they spend enough then they must be an expert.
post #17 of 941 Old 08-06-2006, 09:38 AM

Quote:
What is your statement supposed to mean? You mention Bose and the law of Physics... And your point is...................

You refer to me as a troll. Why because I just discovered the site and have a differing opinion than that of the consensus. Is it maybe that i will need 20,50,100 or more posts to not be considered a troll.

My original post was not meant to flame anyone. It was meant to be humorous and a little antagonistic towards my brother who has seen fit to vocally punishing me for owning the system that I do. I am sure when he gets brave enough hw will respond to this thread. I hope the post is entertaining enough to give you a laugh. Afterall the serious business of audio conversation is at hand

I hope this thread will open the eyes of some people who think they know it all and if they spend enough then they must be an expert.

I have heard Bose stuff myself. It does not sound terrible, just not a great value. IMHO.
post #18 of 941 Old 08-06-2006, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyefan
Bose has a certain "niche", and a big one at that. They're above the HTIB systems at your big box stores. Same size, but they've figured out the sound at moderate listening levels. Bose is very WAF friendly, which has something to do with their success. Marketing, marketing, marketing is the other reason.

Most wives would not tolerate the "huge" RTi4's in their living room. Sure, they'll sound much better with the right AVR and subwoofer, but it's not the niche the wives are looking for. My Polk RTi setup (7.1 speakers alone) run more than an Acoustimass setup, so the budget argument is out the door. My 3805 runs another $800 or so, and don't forget about the DVD player, all the wiring, etc... A Bose system contains everything you need. Sure, it's not compatible with other equipment, but its an easy setup (dummy proof).

Bose was able to get average (to below average) drivers and amps to sound good with proper eq'ing. Is that a crime? No. They decided to put their $$ to work in advertising. Can you get better sound for the money. Absolutely - but you'd have to come to this site to find out, and then get a degree in electrical engineering to hook everything up. (ie... the HSU Ventriloquist setup with an STF subwoofer and midfi AVR). But, you cannot buy that system in big box stores, and most of the general public won't buy A/V equipment site unseen.

Bose has it's niche - big box stores. It's decent sounding equipment at moderate volume levels at a healthy price. It's very WAF friendly, and not meant for this or similar forum communities. We here have way too much time on our hands, able to shop for better values. To the rest of the general public, A/V is not a hobby. ;)
Congrats. You get it. Very well said.
post #19 of 941 Old 08-06-2006, 09:43 AM

The ways to sucker punch on AVS:

1) call someone a Troll
2) call someone a noob

I love hi end audio gear but the tone among owners is generally condescending.
post #20 of 941 Old 08-06-2006, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit97
I have heard Bose stuff myself. It does not sound terrible, just not a great value. IMHO.
Fair opinion Rabbit97. I wonder how many people on this board who say negative things about Bose or any other brand have never heard an actual system? I am not trying to champion the name of Bose.I could not care less the name on the speaker. I just want to say I have lived with the system and it sounds damn good. There are bigger and better. More expensive and some less expensive.
post #21 of 941 Old 08-06-2006, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkingdom
The ways to sucker punch on AVS:

1) call someone a Troll
2) call someone a noob

I love hi end audio gear but the tone among owners is generally condescending.
I am up to 7 posts. Am I still a troll ?

You are right about the condescending tone among some audiophiles. I have found the same thing in the music business when some musicians downgrade others equipment because it does not cost a certain amount or it is not easy to find.
post #22 of 941 Old 08-06-2006, 10:05 AM

If it makes you feel any better, there was a thread awhile back on which speakers you thought were overrated. I suprising number of specialty speakers were listed. I think you can find bashers of just about every speaker out there.

I have heard Bose cause I was curious about the hype. I could never get passed the Bose wave radio looking like my grandmas radio. If you are gonna charge a premium, can you at least make it look special?
post #23 of 941 Old 08-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

i've not owned the acoustimass system, but have heard them in showrooms and i have a buddy that has one of the single cube models. i've owned some 301's and 141's. i was pretty happy with the ones i owned, but ended up getting rid of them and went bigger (tower speakers). whilest they sound ok i deffinately believe there are much, much better values to be had. for instance the onkyo hts780 system i currently have which only cost $400 shipped to me has impressed me a lot. and due to the great price on the setup i can afford to upgrade it's downfalls and still be way under budget of a bose system.

i'm not saying bose is unbearable as i said i liked mine ok, but i deffinately believe equal/better can be had for considerably less money.

God Bless America
Guy
post #24 of 941 Old 08-06-2006, 10:26 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Agreed renips

Implying Dr. Amir Bose does not "understand" the laws of Physics is laughable ;)

FWIW, a pair of 301's were some of the first speakers I owned, they were excellent for their nominal price range.
post #25 of 941 Old 08-06-2006, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I am up to 7 posts. Am I still a troll ?
Actually michaelkingdom was taking your side.

And yes your original post was very trollish. It was intentionally antagonistic and meant to stir the pot. It was the very definition of a troll.

I was all ready to throw up a nice "troll crossing" pic until I read your second post, which was far more reasonable (as have the subsequent ones).

Quote:
What is your statement supposed to mean? You mention Bose and the law of Physics... And your point is....................
...that there is no free lunch.

The form factor of most Bose speakers comes with some inherent limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrunet
Implying Dr. Amir Bose does not "understand" the laws of Physics is laughable ;)
Luckily no one has made such an implication.
post #26 of 941 Old 08-06-2006, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have worked with Bose product in some capacity or another for the last 5 years. I think it sounds very poor for the money, even considering form factor. One can buy any number of "small speaker" systems that sound much better. I have actually heard the RTI4's- which I don't particularly like- a number of times, and the only way one could say that a Bose Acoustimass system produces better sound is if something in the setup was severely hampering the Polk Audio speakers performance.

I'm glad you are happy with your system. I'm extremely thankful I don't know you, judging by the way you light up your own brother in front of thousands of strangers. :rolleyes:
post #27 of 941 Old 08-06-2006, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnord
Actually michaelkingdom was taking your side.

And yes your original post was very trollish. It was intentionally antagonistic and meant to stir the pot. It was the very definition of a troll.

I was all ready to throw up a nice "troll crossing" pic until I read your second post, which was far more reasonable (as have the subsequent ones).

...that there is no free lunch.

The form factor of most Bose speakers comes with some inherent limitations.

Luckily no one has made such an implication.
For the record I knew that MichaelKingdom( Thanks Mike) was taking my side. As for my initial post it was an inside thing between my brother and I. As far as it being antagonistic it was meant to cause a dialogue. To push some buttons.Sarcasm and all I think it has !!!!!!!

From what I am learning on here is that there are some very prudent thinking people to be heard from.
post #28 of 941 Old 08-06-2006, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 54
My friend. Per your own admission, you only came onto this forum after your "goon" brother told you about it and the general opinion of Bose products.
So you register, and make a post about "the elitist members" and proclaim your feelings about Bose. That is fine, however rather than just stating that you like them, and they sound great to you, you go further and slam everyone else's opinion. If you had simply come on stated that you liked your Bose, and why, there would be no further response except for people congratulating you for being happy with your sound system. I have seen it many times here.
But, you came here with the sole purpose if inflaming a reaction from the other members. That my friend is a TROLL. You will never be taken seriously in this forum ever again.
Enjoy your pitiful life.
John
post #29 of 941 Old 08-06-2006, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by osiris13
I have worked with Bose product in some capacity or another for the last 5 years. I think it sounds very poor for the money, even considering form factor. One can buy any number of "small speaker" systems that sound much better. I have actually heard the RTI4's- which I don't particularly like- a number of times, and the only way one could say that a Bose Acoustimass system produces better sound is if something in the setup was severely hampering the Polk Audio speakers performance.

I'm glad you are happy with your system. I'm extremely thankful I don't know you, judging by the way you light up your own brother in front of thousands of strangers. :rolleyes:
It is funny you talk about lighting up my brother. He makes my first post look like a girl scout ccokie bake with the some of the stuff he says. When he read the post he almost threw up because he was laughing so hard. He promises to make a rebuttal which makes me kind of nervous, but we enjoy that kind of brotherly love :eek:
post #30 of 941 Old 08-06-2006, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox
My friend. Per your own admission, you only came onto this forum after your "goon" brother told you about it and the general opinion of Bose products.
So you register, and make a post about "the elitist members" and proclaim your feelings about Bose. That is fine, however rather than just stating that you like them, and they sound great to you, you go further and slam everyone else's opinion. If you had simply come on stated that you liked your Bose, and why, there would be no further response except for people congratulating you for being happy with your sound system. I have seen it many times here.
But, you came here with the sole purpose if inflaming a reaction from the other members. That my friend is a TROLL. You will never be taken seriously in this forum ever again.
Enjoy your pitiful life.
John
I have been accused by John of having a pitiful life. Do you know me John? I did not slam everyones opinion. I was reacting to a challenge from a member here who I am related to to answer his jokes about me owning a Bose system. You Isolate the word Goon. Between my Bro and I that is an inside thing. A very funny thing. You say I will not be taken seriously ever again in this very serious forum. What else can you tell me about my future John? I will be around just to keep you honest John. Whenever I hear of an injustice or the condescending tone of those elitist audiophiles I will be there John. Whenever the word Troll or Newbie is uttered I will be there John. Maybe then John, the pitiful life that you so want me to enjoy will be one that I can truly embrace.
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page