Focal - JM Lab Owner's Thread - Page 171 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5101 of 6496 Old 02-09-2012, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
-MikeDuke

How are you liking the Integra 80.2 preamp with the Focals compared to other pre's that you have used?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5102 of 6496 Old 02-09-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsh View Post

-MikeDuke

How are you liking the Integra 80.2 preamp with the Focals compared to other pre's that you have used?

The only other pre I had with the Focal's was a Halo C2. The Integra 80.2 is much better, for me. It sounds really good with the OPPO 82SE that I have for music. For movies, it is simply fantastic. This is the preamp I have had that any sort of room correction and that really helped me get the most out of my speakers. I think you would have to spend a lot more to get the performance you get with the 80.2 and even then, the difference may not be that great. Plus, I have had zero issues with the unit. It has run perfectly, for me anyway, since I bought it.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #5103 of 6496 Old 02-09-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I have heard Prima Luna at a few shows and I really liked how they sounded. I think that they would probably be a very good match for Focal speakers.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #5104 of 6496 Old 02-09-2012, 09:22 AM

Liked: 12
Im in the market and have read good things about Integra, and It's nice to get some info with it pair up with some Focals. Thanks for the update Mike.
post #5105 of 6496 Old 02-09-2012, 09:48 AM

Liked: 10
First of all i would like to thank everybody involved in my... research. Every opinion is very helpful and i really enjoying this conversations along with audiophiles.

@Daryl RSV4, Jeff Flowerday: I have already gave a chance to "non covered" auditions. I think the high frequencies are getting more detailed, but as they are all ready "bright" i can tell any more differences at the moment. By the way i like very much how the speakers look with out the covers for the tweeters, they make me feel that are Utopia models little brothers... well ok, long cousins considering the price and sonic performance difference, whatever...

@designmule: Trust me i totally understand what are you trying to say, i know the flaws of my auditions environment and i m trying for the best. The fat carpet you see on the pictures exists only for audio improvement reasons! I m a civil engineer and currently i m working in an architectural firm. I hear about things like acoustic wall papers for sound improvement and i m getting thoughts all the time. But this things cost off course. Anyway, what i m trying to say is that i know what is got to do with my environment and what is got to do with the speakers, because i also have a pair of Mission 733 (my first speakers originally, not just my previous ones! ) tweaked with a soft dome tweeter (the originally had a metallic) for comparison purposes. The sound difference is huge. More soft and "foggy" mid/highs the Mission, more detailed and bright the Focal's. So sound treatment of the room is on schedule, but still the the matching amp must be found...

@Kless: Thanks for the tips
1 toe-inangle IS already as described. About the placement with the speakers further apart i really prefer position them in the other side of the room where no opening exist and the sound is greater, but there is a heater in that wall and i dont use them in the winter. Anyway, thats another story...

2 Unfortunately, a lot of you make suggestions that cannot be found so easily here in Greece. Will try to check about it. What i have to say is that in discussions i had with other audiophiles they have told me that hybrid amplifiers need to be truly well designed and build or sound results could be worst than a pure solid state and of course worst that a pure tube amp.
My experience till now in hybrids integrated amps is Vincent SV-236MK (aprox 1500 Euros) witch sounded great in my ears when i auditioned in a store with some triangle speakers plus another one, witch is big chapter. I have auditioned here in Greece Xindak retailer the XA6950(09) (aprox 1350 Euro) playing on Aurum Cantus V8F form a pc connected directly to the amps internal dac! And the sound was so great that i was melancholic all day trying to find out how i will find a perfect match like this for my Focal's! So till now my impressions for hybrid's are very good and are in the game as long as the price stays at normal levels.

3 I understand that pure tube amps might be a solution for warm, soft and yet detailed vocals but i think that the wattage is out of the question for my preferences and since my budget is tight i cant turn to them at the moment.

4&5 Unfortunately both options are very hard to find here in Greece.

I also think that Hegel H100 would be a great match for the Focals but in the 2300 Euro price range i think that is away from my budget.

PS: The Yamaha RX-V671 has been sold Yesterday, so i m back to stereo sound with the my vintage Harman Kardon HK6300 (witch to my ears sound better than the Yamaha AV) and back in the market to finally take a decision. The guy who bought the amp had a chance to make an audition here in my place, and looked my like i was crazy that i want to sell it. He couldn't found any flaws in the sound...

Attachment index:
1. Naked twet's looking great.
2. Best tweaks to get them out.
LL
LL
post #5106 of 6496 Old 02-09-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I've had my tweeter covers off for a couple days now on my 814V towers and my 705V surround sound bookshelf speakers. The highs have seem to come much more alive and I'm very happy. I have to agree with you, Innersense. They also look sexier without the tweeter cover, in my opinion.
LL
LL

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #5107 of 6496 Old 02-09-2012, 07:50 PM

Liked: 13
I have the chance to Purchase Black 826W for $2100 delivered.......Show Specials, as the dealer described " Used at shows by Focal Including the CES show " Good deal???? Full warrenty, but didnt ask about 30 return Policy, Minus the shipping cost.....Thanx In advance
post #5108 of 6496 Old 02-09-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50Kuro80 View Post

I have the chance to Purchase Black 826W for $2100 delivered.......Show Specials, as the dealer described " Used at shows by Focal Including the CES show " Good deal???? Full warrenty, but didnt ask about 30 return Policy, Minus the shipping cost.....Thanx In advance

Regular price in US is $3500 for 826W, so I think $2100 delivered is a good deal if they are still in good shape (i.e. no noticable dings, marks, scratches, etc.) Wouldn't worry about return policy 'cause I think you will really like the speakers.... I sure do... and I paid the full price. If for some reason they don't work for you, could probably sell them on Audiogon for close to purchase price.
post #5109 of 6496 Old 02-10-2012, 03:20 AM

Liked: 13
Regular price in US is $3500 for 826W, so I think $2100 delivered is a good deal if they are still in good shape (i.e. no noticable dings, marks, scratches, etc.) Wouldn't worry about return policy 'cause I think you will really like the speakers.... I sure do... and I paid the full price. If for some reason they don't work for you, could probably sell them on Audiogon for close to purchase price.[/QUOTE

Thanx Kless for the response....What center channel are you running???
post #5110 of 6496 Old 02-10-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50Kuro80 View Post

Thanx Kless for the response....What center channel are you running???

Center channel and surrounds are my next purchase. Right now I am running Totem Dream Catchers (my first speakers) in those positions. I will likely go with Prestige CC800W for center, and Chorus 705V for surrounds. As far as I know, the new Prestige 800W Line (that is not yet on Focal's website), only has 807W in the Prestige series, and 807 is a rather big speaker. I would buy an 806V or W if it were available in black, but website only shows availability in ebony.
post #5111 of 6496 Old 02-12-2012, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How would you compare the 807v or 807w to the B&W CM5?

I have been trying to listen to the 807w but have not been able to yet. A while ago I listened to the 807v and liked them, but I just listened to BW CM5 and was curious how the two/three compare. I was surprised that I liked the BW since I had it in my mind that I was not interested in them. Funny how that works.

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
post #5112 of 6496 Old 02-12-2012, 08:44 AM

Hi all, I have JM Labs all around, 5.1 system. They're old, but still great. Rears are Chorus K-2's, about 15 years old, mounted on rear wall. Room is small, and I want to upgrade to 7.1. Couch is right up against rear wall, and cannot be moved forward, and there is no room on side walls for speakers.

In order to move to 7.1, I was thinking of getting a pair of the SR-1000 and running them in twin mode, so that each speaker would be both a REAR and SIDE surround. These would need to be mounted on rear wall, in place of the K2's. Anybody use these this way? Feedback???

My other choice would be to leave the K2's as rears, and put a set of SIDES in the ceiling. Anybody's feedback greatly appreciated!
post #5113 of 6496 Old 02-13-2012, 11:26 AM

Hello, Im new in this forum, please i need the manual of the JM LAB SW 20A, here in my country and on internet, I can´t find information, if someone can, help me please.
THANKS, sorry mi english.
post #5114 of 6496 Old 02-13-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser_renely View Post

How would you compare the 807v or 807w to the B&W CM5?

I have been trying to listen to the 807w but have not been able to yet. A while ago I listened to the 807v and liked them, but I just listened to BW CM5 and was curious how the two/three compare. I was surprised that I liked the BW since I had it in my mind that I was not interested in them. Funny how that works.

Although I haven't listened to CM5 model, I have auditioned several B&W speakers including their Diamond series, and I always come away with the same impression... crystal clear, highly detailed, but lacking warmth and fullness. To my ears, Focal's have a more involving, full, warm sound, especially when paired with high end electronics.

As far as difference between V series vs W series, the differences are subtle. Mid range clarity is a bit better with the W series drivers, but one really has to listen to an A/B setup that can be switched on the fly to notice the difference. I chose the W series mostly for comsmetic reasons since I like the gloss black finish that was not available on V series.
post #5115 of 6496 Old 02-16-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kless View Post

Although I haven't listened to CM5 model, I have auditioned several B&W speakers including their Diamond series, and I always come away with the same impression... crystal clear, highly detailed, but lacking warmth and fullness. To my ears, Focal's have a more involving, full, warm sound, especially when paired with high end electronics.

As far as difference between V series vs W series, the differences are subtle. Mid range clarity is a bit better with the W series drivers, but one really has to listen to an A/B setup that can be switched on the fly to notice the difference. I chose the W series mostly for comsmetic reasons since I like the gloss black finish that was not available on V series.

Thanks for the info. I like both the CM5 and the 807 I just need to decide which of the two sound better to me. I constantly wonder if the 807 will be too bright as it seemed a touch brighter.

Who knows, so hard to compare speakers from different shops.

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
post #5116 of 6496 Old 02-16-2012, 03:30 PM

How does the 807v/w compare Electra Be 907?

I would assume the be is a much better speaker, but never heard it.

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
post #5117 of 6496 Old 02-16-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser_renely View Post

How does the 807v/w compare Electra Be 907?

I would assume the be is a much better speaker, but never heard it.

I have listened to both, and I like the v/w speakers better. The Be series uses the same bass/mid drivers as the w series, so only difference is the Beryllium tweeter. Imaging with the Be tweeter is more precise and sharply focused, but I tend to like the wider, more relaxed centre image of the w's.

I'd encourage you to audition both as they both are very good speakers. Some people who were in the same listening room when I was doing my auditioning liked the Be series much better.
post #5118 of 6496 Old 02-20-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
listened to a pair of prestige 836w's tonite...very impressive speaker. spent about 2 hr.s with 'em...drop dead georgeous in red finish. sound better than they look. the cc800w looks a bit small by comparison, tho didnt get a chance to actually listen to it. considering this setup with a REL r-528...

thoughts....?
post #5119 of 6496 Old 02-21-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Thinking of moving from the 836W to the 1028BE.

I have no way to audition the 1028BE, but have heard the BE tweeter on the Utopia line.

I'm loosing one driver in the move, but the 1028BE spec wise still goes lower.

My Band: Scotch on Sunday
360 and PS3 owner
post #5120 of 6496 Old 02-21-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday View Post

Thinking of moving from the 836W to the 1028BE.

I have no way to audition the 1028BE, but have heard the BE tweeter on the Utopia line.

I'm loosing one driver in the move, but the 1028BE spec wise still goes lower.

Don't think, just do it. I went from the 927be to the 1027be. That is a closer move and it was just a huge upgrade. The 1028 will give you all the bass you need and want. I would do that in hot second. I bought the 927 AND 1027 with an audition and had no regrets.

My System

post #5121 of 6496 Old 02-21-2012, 09:50 PM

I have the 814v's and think they sound and look great. I am in the process of adding more to my setup and am looking for suggestions for the rear and center. I have a smaller living room and need something on the wall for rear.
post #5122 of 6496 Old 02-22-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellin419 View Post

I have the 814v's and think they sound and look great. I am in the process of adding more to my setup and am looking for suggestions for the rear and center. I have a smaller living room and need something on the wall for rear.

Focal has the SR800v for wall mount and CC800V for center. I'd suggest sticking with Focal solution so all speakers are timbre matched. I am currently using Totem Center and Surrounds with my 826W mains, but have ordered the Focal center since I can tell difference between speaker timbre when music and dialogue move between center and mains. I haven't decided on surrounds yet, but will either go with the SR800v or 806V.
post #5123 of 6496 Old 02-29-2012, 04:00 AM

Hi guys, need your advise. I never had good system in my house, only in my car. I`m in love with Focal since first audition in car audio store. My original idea to buy 2x chorus 807v or 706v for the front, cc700v for center, 2x s700 for surround and sw700v or cub2(recommended by salesman) sub. Everything will be connected to Denon or Onkyo receiver. It will be used for 70/30 movies/music. But yesterday I found, in local classifieds, pair of used Micro Utopia`s which 10 years old, but without any visible damage or scratches, also they come with original stands. I went to the guy and listened them connected to Onkyo TX-SR 876, they sounds great, of course but I`m not sure is it worth it to buy 10 years old speakers, will they serve me for another 10 years? The price for them e little beat more then twice of 807v price. So, on my budget I can buy full 5.1 or Micro Utopia`s with sw700v sub only, without center and surround`s. Have to decide as soon as possible, because I`m moving to another country to live in couple of weeks. Also not sure how big room for my system will be, I`m moving a lot. Please help me or my head will explode soon.
post #5124 of 6496 Old 02-29-2012, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitrybitsan View Post

Hi guys, need your advise. I never had good system in my house, only in my car. I`m in love with Focal since first audition in car audio store. My original idea to buy 2x chorus 807v or 706v for the front, cc700v for center, 2x s700 for surround and sw700v or cub2(recommended by salesman) sub. Everything will be connected to Denon or Onkyo receiver. It will be used for 70/30 movies/music. But yesterday I found, in local classifieds, pair of used Micro Utopia`s which 10 years old, but without any visible damage or scratches, also they come with original stands. I went to the guy and listened them connected to Onkyo TX-SR 876, they sounds great, of course but I`m not sure is it worth it to buy 10 years old speakers, will they serve me for another 10 years? The price for them e little beat more then twice of 807v price. So, on my budget I can buy full 5.1 or Micro Utopia`s with sw700v sub only, without center and surround`s. Have to decide as soon as possible, because I`m moving to another country to live in couple of weeks. Also not sure how big room for my system will be, I`m moving a lot. Please help me or my head will explode soon.

There are two sides to this. One is that you get a great sounding full HT setup. By all accounts the Chorus speakers are great and I can agree with that as I use 705's as my surrounds. But I will say that for the about $800 for that sub you can do better with one of the internet direct companies. Live SVS or HSU just to name two. For HT, those two would be much better then the sw700. So you will have a great sounding HT. The other side is that you could get the Utopia's. Don't worry about the age. I have seen many people with that model Utopia in systems and they never complained about failure. I would have to say that if there was an issue, that Focal might help you out. That is something you might to check with first. But Focal quality is first rate. But, also consider that if you want to the HT route, you might have to try and find an old utopia center to match it. They may be out there and you might be able to get away with an Electra center like the CC-901. But again, you would have to find one. You say that you are 70/30 movies/music. If that's the case then I really suggest you go with the Chorus setup and one sub from an Internet Direct Company. There are more then just the two I listed. The only other option is to get the Utopias, run them in a HT setup with a phantom center and at some point get the surrounds. I think though that a system with 807's in the front, a matching center ans surrounds and a good sub would make you very happy. If you wanted a system that was the other way 70% music 30% movies I would say get the Utopias without a doubt. But getting the Utopia speakers might make it more difficult to get a complete, matching setup down the line. Sorry this is so long but it is not an easy answer. It's all about priorities.

My System

post #5125 of 6496 Old 02-29-2012, 05:41 PM

Thanks Mike, I really like Utopias, but can afford only 2.1 config with old Onkyo TX-SR 876 which I believe not so good for this kind of speakers . Today I listened one more time 807v`s with sw700v sub and yes, you are right the sub is weak for my taste, will search for some better sub. Subs you recommended looks good, but right now I`m working in Serbia and will move to the Swiss next month, so have to find some European internet direct company for the sub. Can you or another members also recommend good avr for the chorus 807, preferably Denon or Onkyo in 1000-1200 price range?
post #5126 of 6496 Old 03-01-2012, 02:07 AM

If you are happy to go independent for the sub then look at the UK manufacturer BK Electronics and their Monolith range and others. They will ship across the EU (and Switzerland I think) for a little extra. I have had a Monolith-DF for many years and it's wonderful even ignoring the direct-from-the-maker pricing. The website is very basic, but all there: http://www.bkelec.com/

Look for reviews of the Monolith and just buy it (or one of it's relatives, depending).
post #5127 of 6496 Old 03-01-2012, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/sub_woofers.htm
That is a more direct link to the Monolith subs that Peter mentioned. I have seen one of their subs review years ago on the forum avtalk, and I think the review was very positive. As far as an AVR goes, probably any Denon or Onkyo in that range would be fine
Here is a USA Denon reciever that would probably fit your needs. Not sure how the price works out for you though where you are going.
http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Page...312CI(DenonNA)
This one has a little less power but still might be OK
http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Page...312CI(DenonNA)
Here is the global Denon website
http://www.denon.com/Pages/home.aspx
If you really like the Utopia speakers then I say get them with possibly adding a sub. Regret is a terrible thing in audio. If you don't want regret, get what you really want.

My System

post #5128 of 6496 Old 03-01-2012, 05:59 AM

This weekend I will be setting up in my HT room Focal front stage of 836V and 800 center. Will post pics later on. These will be fed with Anthem receiver via Emotiva amp.
post #5129 of 6496 Old 03-01-2012, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyravr View Post

This weekend I will be setting up in my HT room Focal front stage of 836V and 800 center. Will post pics later on. These will be fed with Anthem receiver via Emotiva amp.

Nice. Looking forward to the pics. Good choice of the Anthem and Emotive as well. Do you have surrounds and a sub as well?

My System

post #5130 of 6496 Old 03-01-2012, 01:09 PM

^^ YEAP. Emotiva surrounds rear and back and CHT VS18s for subs
Reply Speakers

Tags
Focal , Focal 705v , Focal Chorus 836 V , Focal 716v Floor Standing Speakers , Focal 706v Chorus Loudspeakers , Focal Chorus 726v Floorstanding Speaker Light Walnut
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page