AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyravr View Post

^^ YEAP. Emotiva surrounds rear and back and CHT VS18s for subs

Should be sweet. Hopefully you can take some pics when everything is setup.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5132 of 6540 Old 03-01-2012, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Peter,

Thanks for the info, Monolith subs looks promising, will contact them...

Mike,

Thanks again, yes I can`t stop thinking about micro Utopia`s and today owner of them contacted me with REL stadium 2 sub offer. Price of Denon 2312 around 1300$ and 3312 a little less then 2000$. I can afford Utopia`s, REL sub and Onkyo 876 or Utopia`s, REL sub and Onkyo 805 plus some monitor audio surrounds. Is it worth it to buy cc700v(can`t afford better center any soon) for center or phantom center will do the job? Must correct my self, it will be used with 40/30/30 tv/movies/music.
post #5133 of 6540 Old 03-02-2012, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitrybitsan View Post

Peter,

Mike,

Thanks again, yes I can`t stop thinking about micro Utopia`s and today owner of them contacted me with REL stadium 2 sub offer. Price of Denon 2312 around 1300$ and 3312 a little less then 2000$. I can afford Utopia`s, REL sub and Onkyo 876 or Utopia`s, REL sub and Onkyo 805 plus some monitor audio surrounds. Is it worth it to buy cc700v(can`t afford better center any soon) for center or phantom center will do the job? Must correct my self, it will be used with 40/30/30 tv/movies/music.

I ran a phantom center for a while when mine was being repaired. It sounded surprising decent. Of course when I got my real center back I could hear the difference right away. The CC700v won't match the Utopia's for HT but it's possible that with the EQ that these receivers have now, you may not notice it that much. If the 805 has all the features you want and need go with that. You will never notice the 10 watt difference between the two. So would you buy the center now also? It is worth it to have a dedicated center. I mean, the Utopias plus an REL sub would make a great combo. Then with the surrounds and center you would have a very solid HT setup that should also kick butt for music. So above you list two choices. The one I would pick would be the Onkyo 805, Utopia's, REL sub, and the monitor surrounds. If you can squeeze the center in there do that. If not get it later and just run a phantom center. At some point you might also think about matching your surrounds as well. For years I had Polk RT3's as my surrounds. Then, probably about 8 months ago, I changed them to Chorus 705v's. Even though I have Electra Be's for my front's, the changing of the surrounds made a huge difference. So at some point in time you may want to think about doing that.
If you do the above you will have a system that should keep you happy for a long time and will only get better if you can maybe get a separate amp and pre amp at some time. But like I told you, the regret monster is unforgiving. Get the Utopia so you can keep it quiet for a little while. Good luck and when you get everything, we will need to see pics and hear feed back from you. But you knew that anyway.

My System
post #5134 of 6540 Old 03-02-2012, 08:13 AM

Thanks again Mike, tonight I`ll listen Utopia`s one more time with and without center speaker and most likely make final decision. Pics and feed back for sure.
post #5135 of 6540 Old 03-02-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks again Mike, tonight I`ll listen Utopia`s one more time with and without center speaker and most likely make final decision. Pics and feed back for sure.

No problem. As I always say, I am always willing to spend the money of other people .

My System
post #5136 of 6540 Old 03-02-2012, 05:40 PM

OK, today I listened Utopia`s one more time , they even only worst money for the look, they look`s expensive. Plus incredible sound, really clear and powerful, with or without sub, which sound`s not so powerful for the size, but it`s good reviews about this sub and I`m sure it will sound correctly with right settings and position. I had same problem with Audyssey EQ in my car with 1450 watt RMS digital amp. After a lot of readings founded solution to put down gain on sub amplifier before Audyssey calibration and put it up for my liking. So, in Monday my system will include:

AVR: Onkyo TX-SR 876
Front: JM Lab Micro Utopia`s
Center: Jamo D 8CEN ???
Surround: Jamo D 8SUR ???
Subwoofer: Rel Stadium II

The seller,really great trustful guy, who take care off his staff. It was His final version HT , after many mistakes, before He bought Mini Utopia, I even don't want to listen Mini`s Jamo center and surrounds looks and sounds good but wasn't for sale, I asked for them and we almost agreed on the price. I cant even dream about that kind of System in my home one month ago.

Now crappy pics from phone, will make better at my place:

P.S. Sorry for my English, it`s not my first language, I`m trying my best.
post #5137 of 6540 Old 03-02-2012, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
^^^^^ While those speakers look unbelievably amazing and I know sound quality should be a top priority, I'll never understand why anyone would create a kick-ass sound setup like that and go with, what looks like a 40" TV to accompany it.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #5138 of 6540 Old 03-03-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Congrats on the Micro's. So I am assuming those pics were not from your room but from the guy you bought them from. Micro Utopia's paired with a REL sub will make a grfeat setup. So you have some surrounds correct? You just need a center. Trust me, when it is all said and done, you will have a great setup . Can't wait to see the pics when you have them in your room.

My System
post #5139 of 6540 Old 03-03-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post

^^^^^ While those speakers look unbelievably amazing and I know sound quality should be a top priority, I'll never understand why anyone would create a kick-ass sound setup like that and go with, what looks like a 40" TV to accompany it.

He also have a projector on the back wall, you can see white screen for it on the pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Congrats on the Micro's. So I am assuming those pics were not from your room but from the guy you bought them from. Micro Utopia's paired with a REL sub will make a grfeat setup. So you have some surrounds correct? You just need a center. Trust me, when it is all said and done, you will have a great setup . Can't wait to see the pics when you have them in your room.

Yes it`s from His room and today we made final agreement, in Monday he will bring everything, included center, to my place:

Center: Jamo D 8CEN
Surround: Jamo D 8SUR
post #5140 of 6540 Old 03-03-2012, 11:52 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

He also have a projector on the back wall, you can see white screen for it on the pictures.

Yes it`s from His room and today we made final agreement, in Monday he will bring everything, included center, to my place:

Good stuff, I hope they bring you many years of musical/movie enjoyment.
post #5141 of 6540 Old 03-03-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Like I said before, that should be a nice setup. I can't wait to see some pics of your system.

My System
post #5142 of 6540 Old 03-03-2012, 02:04 PM

Will post pics for sure, but it will be temporary setup, just to enjoy it before moving.
post #5143 of 6540 Old 03-03-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

That makes more sense. Well, awesome speakers for sure!!!

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #5144 of 6540 Old 03-03-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Will post pics for sure, but it will be temporary setup, just to enjoy it before moving.

That's cool. If it is temporary then hopefully when you get it setup for good, you can take more pics.

My System
post #5145 of 6540 Old 03-08-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:

NICE! You know that since you got utopia's you can never go down! you will be getting a pair of grand utopia em next! LOL I have a REL sub also and love it. Enjoy!
post #5146 of 6540 Old 03-09-2012, 08:25 AM

Does any one know if you can put 826w's on a 802 stand?, I have these towers for my rears and need to get them up a little.
post #5147 of 6540 Old 03-09-2012, 06:15 PM

I have an opportunity to buy a cobalt sw800 signature for $350 and wanted opinions on its home theater performance. It's rated down to 30 hz. Will I get the oomph I'm looking for? I've been dealing with a small fart box to this point, so anything will be better. I have a 1121k and 5 nht superzeros in a fairly large family room 15x17 but open to kitchen and foyer.
post #5148 of 6540 Old 03-10-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmit115 View Post

NICE! You know that since you got utopia's you can never go down! you will be getting a pair of grand utopia em next! LOL I have a REL sub also and love it. Enjoy!

Yes, I realized that

Finally had time to hook everything up Utopias are amazing!!!, even in my big 46sqm room with huge glass window along the room. I put AC/DC to play in pure audio mode and asked my self : "where I've been before?" Then I started calibration process, it started from left front speaker, I can hear test tone, but avr showing "cannot detect speaker". All search results on different forums pointing on broken tweeter, can you imagine my feelings? Then I switched right and left channels with same result. I measured resistance at mic connector and it showing shortage, mic cable have like knots under isolation in couple of places, I opened one and it has broken isolation of positive contact, which cause short. After quick fix, will buy new cable later, it go thru without any problems, I did 6 positions process. Good job Audyssey!!! It was good when I used Audyssey in my car, but with 5.1 home setup it is amazing! For now I'm completely satisfied. Thanks all, and specially Mike, who point me in right direction.

post #5149 of 6540 Old 03-14-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Don't think, just do it. I went from the 927be to the 1027be. That is a closer move and it was just a huge upgrade. The 1028 will give you all the bass you need and want. I would do that in hot second. I bought the 927 AND 1027 with an audition and had no regrets.

Done!

My Band: Scotch on Sunday
360 and PS3 owner
post #5150 of 6540 Old 03-15-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I realized that

Finally had time to hook everything up Utopias are amazing!!!, even in my big 46sqm room with huge glass window along the room. I put AC/DC to play in pure audio mode and asked my self : "where I've been before?" Then I started calibration process, it started from left front speaker, I can hear test tone, but avr showing "cannot detect speaker". All search results on different forums pointing on broken tweeter, can you imagine my feelings? Then I switched right and left channels with same result. I measured resistance at mic connector and it showing shortage, mic cable have like knots under isolation in couple of places, I opened one and it has broken isolation of positive contact, which cause short. After quick fix, will buy new cable later, it go thru without any problems, I did 6 positions process. Good job Audyssey!!! It was good when I used Audyssey in my car, but with 5.1 home setup it is amazing! For now I'm completely satisfied. Thanks all, and specially Mike, who point me in right direction.

Glad you went for them. They look simply stunning. I forgot how cool they look with the covers on. And I have to say that I whole hardily approve of playing AC\\DC. One of my favorite bands and they can really kick some ass.

My System
post #5151 of 6540 Old 03-15-2012, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday View Post

Done!

Sweet. I am always happy to help other people spend their money. Please let us know what you think of them when you get everything setup.

My System
post #5152 of 6540 Old 03-15-2012, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-mouth View Post

I have an opportunity to buy a cobalt sw800 signature for $350 and wanted opinions on its home theater performance. It's rated down to 30 hz. Will I get the oomph I'm looking for? I've been dealing with a small fart box to this point, so anything will be better. I have a 1121k and 5 nht superzeros in a fairly large family room 15x17 but open to kitchen and foyer.

Unless you go used, it will be hard to find a sub at that price. I looked at SVS, HSU, and Elemental Design. Most of their smaller, more affordable subs start somewhere in the $400 range. With SW800 you will get something. I don't know what you have now though. But with a FR down to 30Hz, you will be missing a lot of the low bass that makes movies so fun. If you could stretch your budget another $50-$100 you could get a much better sub that will give you a much more enjoyable movie experience. Especially in a room like you describe. One company you may want to research is BIC. I think they have subs that are in that price range(around $350) and would probably be much better than a SW800. Check Amazon.com and search for Bic sub woofers.

My System
post #5153 of 6540 Old 03-17-2012, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandluke View Post

listened to a pair of prestige 836w's tonite...very impressive speaker. spent about 2 hr.s with 'em...drop dead georgeous in red finish. sound better than they look. the cc800w looks a bit small by comparison, tho didnt get a chance to actually listen to it. considering this setup with a REL r-528...

thoughts....?

well, i ordered the focals...they took a week to come in. i've been living with them for about two weeks now. my room is about 14x24...836's are 3ft out from front wall and 3ft from side walls, leaving about 7ft between speakers.

i really like these speakers, tho still fine tuning. i havent run xt32 yet. i have lived with definitive tech bp7001's for a few years now, and bp 20's before that, and was afraid i would miss the huge soundstage that the def techs deliver. the 836's envelope the room nicely, but not to the extent of the def techs. BUT, the focals allow me to hear finer details in the recording, and the midrange is fantastic. i currently cross them at 40hz, and i just wanna say, these speakers are VERY dynamic. drum thwacks are scary, and have just the right amount of decay...outstanding

i removed the grille covers (scared the hell outa me) last night and want to live with them off for awhile (want to rule out pacebo), but my initial reaction was a "smoother" or "purer" treble on cuts that i'm VERY familiar with...like i said, i need to live with this and listen to many more cuts before making the decision to leave 'em off for good.

my initial reaction to the cc800w was "wow, looks kinda small" but it blends seemlessly with the 836's. it's on a 22'' stand.

i did not get the REL528...i currently use two def tech trinitys and two hsu mbm-12's and in the midst of tuning it all together...i'm sure xt32 will eventually help.

i love the trinitys for home theater, and they do a very nice job with music when i limit them to play below 60hz...but i'm thinkin 3 REL 528's or a jl f212 might do better for music. i'd love to hear if anyone has experience with these combo's...

l love the focal sound...proud to be a new owner!!
post #5154 of 6540 Old 03-17-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

well, i ordered the focals...they took a week to come in. i've been living with them for about two weeks now. my room is about 14x24...836's are 3ft out from front wall and 3ft from side walls, leaving about 7ft between speakers.

i really like these speakers, tho still fine tuning. i havent run xt32 yet. i have lived with definitive tech bp7001's for a few years now, and bp 20's before that, and was afraid i would miss the huge soundstage that the def techs deliver. the 836's envelope the room nicely, but not to the extent of the def techs. BUT, the focals allow me to hear finer details in the recording, and the midrange is fantastic. i currently cross them at 40hz, and i just wanna say, these speakers are VERY dynamic. drum thwacks are scary, and have just the right amount of decay...outstanding

i removed the grille covers (scared the hell outa me) last night and want to live with them off for awhile (want to rule out pacebo), but my initial reaction was a "smoother" or "purer" treble on cuts that i'm VERY familiar with...like i said, i need to live with this and listen to many more cuts before making the decision to leave 'em off for good.

my initial reaction to the cc800w was "wow, looks kinda small" but it blends seemlessly with the 836's. it's on a 22'' stand.

i did not get the REL528...i currently use two def tech trinitys and two hsu mbm-12's and in the midst of tuning it all together...i'm sure xt32 will eventually help.

i love the trinitys for home theater, and they do a very nice job with music when i limit them to play below 60hz...but i'm thinkin 3 REL 528's or a jl f212 might do better for music. i'd love to hear if anyone has experience with these combo's...

Not the exact same combination you are looking for, but I run Profile 918's with a pair of JL F113's and very much like the combination. If you have the room, a pair of F113's might provide some advantages over the single F212. Music performance is my priority, and I have them crossed over at 80hz with exceptionally good measured and subjective results.

Enjoy your new Focals and welcome to the club!
post #5155 of 6540 Old 03-17-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Hi guys,

would you mind telling my where's the best place to buy Focals here in the US?

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
post #5156 of 6540 Old 03-17-2012, 03:32 PM

Hey owners. Need some help on choosing a receiver. I will most likely be going with either the Chorus 800v series (bookshelves front and rear) or the 700v series (bookshelves or 716 front and bookshelves rear). I have $2000 to $2500 for a receiver and these will be used for 60%HT and 40% music. I was thinking of the Integra 70.3 / Onkyo 3009 for my choice. Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.
post #5157 of 6540 Old 03-17-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfeldman721 View Post

Hey owners. Need some help on choosing a receiver. I will most likely be going with either the Chorus 800v series (bookshelves front and rear) or the 700v series (bookshelves or 716 front and bookshelves rear). I have $2000 to $2500 for a receiver and these will be used for 60%HT and 40% music. I was thinking of the Integra 70.3 / Onkyo 3009 for my choice. Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have an Integra dtr 50.2 pushing 836v's....they sound good together I think.
post #5158 of 6540 Old 03-17-2012, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfeldman721 View Post

I would consider an Anthem MRX700 + Apple TV for any streaming needs.
post #5159 of 6540 Old 03-18-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avliner View Post

Hi guys,

would you mind telling my where's the best place to buy Focals here in the US?

Depends on where your at?
post #5160 of 6540 Old 03-18-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:

You could alway get all four! put the REL's up front and the JL in the rear! That should go great for music and HT!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Focal , Focal 705v , Focal Chorus 836 V , Focal 716v Floor Standing Speakers , Focal 706v Chorus Loudspeakers , Focal Chorus 726v Floorstanding Speaker Light Walnut
Gear in this thread - 726v by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page