Focal - JM Lab Owner's Thread - Page 175 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5221 of 6581 Old 04-30-2012, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Hey XTC, that's a sweet looking setup. I am sure it sounds really good. I not heard the 28's or 38's. I may never. But going by how my 1027's sound, I can imagine that they really sound good. Enjoy that setup.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5222 of 6581 Old 04-30-2012, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Tiba, I have to agree with what XTC said in his quoted reply above. The Chorus line really is supposed to be a sweet spot in the Focal line up. I am using 705v's as surrounds with my 1027 and CC1000be setup and they really sound great. I also agree that you might want to think about getting a stronger sub instead of using the two that you have. IMHO, it will make a much bigger impact then going from the 714v's to the 816v's. Just my .02 though .

My System
post #5223 of 6581 Old 05-03-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandluke View Post

i love the trinitys for home theater, and they do a very nice job with music when i limit them to play below 60hz...but i'm thinkin 3 REL 528's or a jl f212 might do better for music. i'd love to hear if anyone has experience with these combo's...

l love the focal sound...proud to be a new owner!!

Focal and JL are a match made in heaven. I've heard the f212 with the 1038's at a shop here in Fairfax. IMHO it really doesn't get much better. I envy all Focal owners because they sound as good as they look. I would put my money where my mouth was when I say that you would be much more pleased with the f212 than the trinity.

With that being said, if you wanted more dynamic low-end extension, I am a huge advocate of the LMS Ultra. I currently have the Supercube Reference and plan to upgrade to a dual LMS setup here within the next few months (pending congressional approval). You could have a custom dual Ultra cabinet made to match the finish of your Focal's and it wouldn't be a great deal larger than your trinity. The subs, cabinet and amplification would run you about $2K less than the f212 and if spec'd right would outperform it.

On another note... I wasn't willing to pull the trigger on the 1038's myself because as much as I like the unparalleled sound of the Beryllium tweeter, I wasn't too concerned with the amazing aesthetics of the Focal and just needed something LOUDER. I enjoy entertaining and throwing get-togethers and I just didn't want to beat up something like the 1038's.

Congrats to you all with Focal speakers. I'll take my Klipsch and be on my way.
post #5224 of 6581 Old 05-06-2012, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi :

Thanks for the congrats from Mr. Klipsch. I think that the Klipsch are very different than the Focal. The Klipsch are exyreamly bright and a great speaker for large rooms some people swear by them I however do not, I have a few friends that own Klipsch and I found that when listening to them for prolonged periods at high volume levels that I had a slight headace, Not puting down Klipsch but I found my Focals to be a lot smoother and more acurate and in fact more enjoyable to listen to,

I have a 7.1 system all Focal Chorus although I recently changed my rears from 705 bookshelfs to Sr 700 Cobalts( A step up from the Chorus line a few years ago. Over time and breaking inthe speakers have gotten better.

I have an older Pioneer Elite Plasma, A Pioneer Elite vsx-52 receiver and Oppo 93 Blu Ray. I am thinking of adding a second sub but it will have to wait ran out of cash buying the Oppo.

Every day I listen to my Focals and LOVE them, Although the most important thing is to like what you bought regardless of who made it. So I say congrats to all the Klipsch owners they are a good speaker.

Best,

Norm L
post #5225 of 6581 Old 05-07-2012, 06:31 PM

Liked: 14
Hey Guys :

Check out the Mini Utopia's on sale on Ebay for $2700.00. I wish I could trade my Chorus for them.. Oh well they do look nice though and an inexpesive way to go to Utopia.

Norm L
post #5226 of 6581 Old 05-10-2012, 05:46 AM

Liked: 11
Its a sad day. Just listed my 1007bes and cc1000be in the classified section. Wife is having a pretty extensive knee surgery so these have to go. Hopefully afterwards I will be upgrading to the Diablos
post #5227 of 6581 Old 06-02-2012, 11:10 AM

Liked: 16
Considering getting a set of bookshelves to pair with my Paradigm Studio Sub12 and Anthem MRX receiver.

I've heard S2 and was impressed by clarity, dynamics and low extension. Haven't heard of 1008 Be2, but was recommended quite a few times. Any suggestion/info on 1008 Be2 will be greatly appreciated.

1008 Be2 is a tad more expensive ($5k vs. $3.2k) though.

Will be used for 70/30 music. I'm mostly trying to upgrade highs dynamics and midrange clarity (currently have Paradigm Studio 60s). Sub12 should be adequate to fill in for the lows.

Thanks in advance.
post #5228 of 6581 Old 06-10-2012, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post

Considering getting a set of bookshelves to pair with my Paradigm Studio Sub12 and Anthem MRX receiver.

I've heard S2 and was impressed by clarity, dynamics and low extension. Haven't heard of 1008 Be2, but was recommended quite a few times. Any suggestion/info on 1008 Be2 will be greatly appreciated.

Will be used for 70/30 music. I'm mostly trying to upgrade highs dynamics and midrange clarity (currently have Paradigm Studio 60s). Sub12 should be adequate to fill in for the lows.

Thanks in advance.

Where are all the Focal owners?
post #5229 of 6581 Old 06-10-2012, 01:19 PM

Liked: 11
those are great speakers smile.gif
post #5230 of 6581 Old 06-15-2012, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Where are all the Focal owners?

Busy listening to my pair of 1028be.

My Band: Scotch on Sunday
360 and PS3 owner
post #5231 of 6581 Old 06-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Having auditioned both in my room, the 1008Be is a better speaker in all aspects including aesthetics imo. The Focal beryllium tweeter sounds much better than the 'Digms - the 'Digms are a little harsh sounding in comparison and don't seem to handle dynamics quite as well. Top to bottom, I found the 1008Be's to be on another level. The crossover network in the 1008Be is much more sophisticated as well -- as such, the tweeter integrates seamlessly with the mid/bass. Switching back and forth between the two pairs of speakers -- I noted the Focal's were able to convey more emotion on a musical level... they were just a more rhythmically/musically involving speaker and dragged all the emotion out of a performance. Overall, they had a smoother/sweeter top-end that was equally detailed and less metallic sounding -- combined with a more lucid/articulate midrange. Bass quality was pretty similar between the two, with the S2 having a slight advantage in terms of depth and the 1008Be having a slight advantage in articulation/detail. The 1008Be are a little more finnicky regarding placement - they are rear-ported so should be away from walls and require a decent amount of space around them to really open up. They do have a port-plug though, should you be forced to deal with WAF or something.

There's my $0.02. But as always, I recommend trying to have a listen for yourself if possible. Good luck! cool.gif

Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

Quick shot of my gear/theater.
post #5232 of 6581 Old 06-16-2012, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralXTC View Post

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Having auditioned both in my room, the 1008Be is a better speaker in all aspects including aesthetics imo. The Focal beryllium tweeter sounds much better than the 'Digms - the 'Digms are a little harsh sounding in comparison and don't seem to handle dynamics quite as well. Top to bottom, I found the 1008Be's to be on another level. The crossover network in the 1008Be is much more sophisticated as well -- as such, the tweeter integrates seamlessly with the mid/bass. Switching back and forth between the two pairs of speakers -- I noted the Focal's were able to convey more emotion on a musical level... they were just a more rhythmically/musically involving speaker and dragged all the emotion out of a performance. Overall, they had a smoother/sweeter top-end that was equally detailed and less metallic sounding -- combined with a more lucid/articulate midrange. Bass quality was pretty similar between the two, with the S2 having a slight advantage in terms of depth and the 1008Be having a slight advantage in articulation/detail. The 1008Be are a little more finnicky regarding placement - they are rear-ported so should be away from walls and require a decent amount of space around them to really open up. They do have a port-plug though, should you be forced to deal with WAF or something.

There's my $0.02. But as always, I recommend trying to have a listen for yourself if possible. Good luck! cool.gif

Thanks so much for the detail info. Had a demo on 1008Be last week and ordered a pair smile.gif albeit it was in an untreated room. Right out the gate, I noticed the better focusing and imaging that 1008Be has. High/midrange performance was still hard to tell, maybe because of being in different rooms, receivers and sources. Didn't pay much attention to low as I know I'd cross it over at 60Hz with either one. Even then I noticed the superb articulation.

Can't wait for them to arrive. Will keep you posted.

Btw, as 1008Be S1000HG stand is pretty expensive for me at $1200, I ordered a pair of Solidsteel SS-5 ($400) and plan to use with Bluetack. Crossing my fingers that they work well.
post #5233 of 6581 Old 06-18-2012, 12:27 PM

I had a minor windfall lately of about a grand. It definitely falls into the Pennies from Heaven category, I have decided to get myself a little treat.

I have wanted to buy/build a bedroom setup. I currently have a spare Focal SW800V sub that was not enough for the main room, but is too nice to dispose. I think it would nicely compiment a little bedroom stereo.

In the main room, I currently have:

Focal 836V as mains. They are 3-6.5 inch woofers, 1-6.5 midrange and an aluminum tweeter. They are ported on the front and downward through the plinth.

Focal 814V as L/R surrounds. These speakers are kind of an enigma. They were a special edition speaker made for a single distributor that is now defunct. They are actually a 716V that has been dressed up with piano black finish.
They are 1-6.5 inch woofer, 1-6.5 inch midrange and an aluminum tweeter. They are ported on the front, but do not have a plinth, so no downward port.

Other pieces:
Center Focal CC800V 2-6.5 mids and an aluminu, tweeter
Subs Rythmik F15HPCI two of them flanking the mains

Pictures:
from rear (prior to Rythmik subs)

FR to LR

FL to RR

gratuitous pic of one of my home built Rythmik F15HP subs

You can see the surrounds way off in the corner by the fireplace and in an alcove under the stairs. I know that they are not actually surround speakers and that they may no give me the surround experience to the same degree that a set of bipole/dipole speakers could. But for me, the towers work. Thye fit the space and don't require complex mounts or stands.

Here is what I am thinking: I move the current surrounds that do not exactly match the fronts and center to my bedroom, where they will accompany the Focal sub and live harmoniously.

I can then replace them with a set of towers that will match "better".
The choices:

816V- 1-6.5 woofer 1-6.5 mid and Al tweeter. Both the front and down port. Probably no audible difference (to me)

826v 2-6.5 woofers 1-6.5 mid and Al tweeter Both ports
new $1,900 used $1,300 +/- on Audiogon right now as 1,495 OBO

836V 3-6.5 woofers 1-6.5 mid and Al tweeter Both ports
new $2,300 used $1,500 +/- on Ebay 1,500 zero bids currently

I drive the fronts with my XPA-2
I drive the center and surrounds with my XPA-3

So the surrounds are only @200WPC vs the fronts @300WPC

I listen to music most of the time we are home, and while moving about the house I have the AVR in AFD or PLII which splits the signal up and sends either full or pretty much full stereo signal to each channel. I think having more drivers will help to fill the space a little more. The additional drivers in the surrounds may also make the 5.1 experience a little better. For dedicated listening I use the fronts plus the subs, but more often than no I end up putting it in the other modes while working on the computer (upstairs in the loft office), cooking, cleaning, etc.

I think it is money better spent than buying something for the bedroom and leaving the living room as is.

So I guess the point of this diatribe is:

Match the fronts by adding two more woofers per side and drive them with less power than the fronts or only add one more woofer per side, which probably suits the lower power of the Emo XPA-3.

Another small advantage to either upgrade is that the speakers are slightly taller 4 or 4.5 inches. This will help to get the sound up over the couches and other obstructions without raising the tweeters too high.

Thanks for the help. I realize this is a lot of ado over a small change. Anyway, any ideas?
post #5234 of 6581 Old 06-19-2012, 10:13 PM

Anyone?
post #5235 of 6581 Old 06-20-2012, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksky Audio View Post

Anyone?

IMO, not much to be gained by replacing the surrounds and moving them to the bedroom.

You should move the 836v's to the bedroom and acquire some 1038be's for your main room. smile.gif

Ps) from the picture, I have to say your toe in is rather extreme on your fronts. 5 degrees is usually enough, 10 max. If you are trying to fill out the center image, you would be better served moving the speakers forward out front of the tv a bit and covering the tv/unit with a blanket when listening to music.

360 and PS3 owner
post #5236 of 6581 Old 06-20-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralXTC View Post

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Arrived the Electra today. But critical listening still has to wait as I wait for the stands from Amazon. I ordered Paradigm J-23 at 25% off of MSRP. Electra matching stands are just too expensive for me. So no Anthem ARC yet as well.

Right out the gate (currently having the Electra on a set of chairs lol), the beryllium tweeter does it magic and I'm in awe. Mid-range is also crisp and clearer than my Paradigm Studio. The amount of bass coming out of that 6.5" mid/bass driver is very surprising too.

Will post more impression as I go along.
post #5237 of 6581 Old 06-20-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday View Post

IMO, not much to be gained by replacing the surrounds and moving them to the bedroom.
You should move the 836v's to the bedroom and acquire some 1038be's for your main room. smile.gif
Ps) from the picture, I have to say your toe in is rather extreme on your fronts. 5 degrees is usually enough, 10 max. If you are trying to fill out the center image, you would be better served moving the speakers forward out front of the tv a bit and covering the tv/unit with a blanket when listening to music.

Thanks for the reply. I need to post a newer picture of the front of the room. In that picture, I was still experimenting with placement. It is a wide room and the fronts are about sixteen feet apart. I was playing with the toe Right now they are probably a little less than ten degrees. I was finding that when sitting off to one side or the other, one speaker would dominate, hence playing with angles.They reside about 16 inches proud of the console, which makes them about 24 proud of the screen

It is fourteen feet six inches to my surrounds from center. That is why I was thinking of adding another driver or two. In an attempt to reinforce them somewhat.

While I appreciate the recommendation of going up to 1038be. I have a hard time justifying ten thousand dollar speakers, then I would have to have the CC1008be, so another $2,800, then the surrounds would be in the same situation, so then adding the 1028be or maybe the 1008 be adds about $4,000

So roughly $17,000 to get started. No hill for a climber, but I don't have it that bad yet.

As far as hanging up a blanket everytime, I put the system into two channel. that is a bit much for me, it is not a dedicated room, it is the greatroom of a family residence, so it would have to be changed about as often as a diaper.

Not trying to be smarmy.
post #5238 of 6581 Old 06-21-2012, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Your sitting position should be 1x to 1.5x the distance between you speakers. Don't feel you need the speakers wide apart because it's a wide room, it should be relative to sitting position.

I was somewhat kidding on the 1038be suggestion and the rest of my babble would be for someone who is prioritizing 2 channel listening, which obviously isn't easy to do in your situation.

360 and PS3 owner
post #5239 of 6581 Old 06-21-2012, 07:44 AM

I was told to try and keep it an equilateral (sp) triangle. I sit just over 16 feet away, that puts my ears at about 17 / 17-6. The more I think abouit toe in, I remeber the guys from Audio Plus recommending that I try more toe initially. I agree it did not work, I think that I had to accomidate to the speakers somewhat. Now I find that they seem balanced. I will continue to try different locations, until I reach optimum.

As far as two channel dedication, I find myself using the subs to fill in the bottom end. The big space really absorbs a lot of air movement, I find that the subs help with anyting at higher spl. As I stated when I move about the house doing whatever, I find myself preferring the "fake" settings on my AVR (multi stereo, PLII, or even live settings for some concert material). I do enjoy a fair amount of SACD multi channel music, and have a few DVD-a as well.

I guess that is why I was thinking about boosting the surrounds a little. Especially since I want to have something upstairs in the master bedroom. I am upstairs in the loft office riight now and have a hendrix album playing up from downstairs now.

I will give the 1038s a hard listen on my next trip to denver, but I will be a difficult sell. I really like the Chorus 800 line. I realize they are "Pooh-Poohed" by the serious crowd, but as a neophyte they make me quite happy.

Again thank you for your interest in someone who is out of their depth. I would imagine you see the same type of questions over and over again.
post #5240 of 6581 Old 06-24-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksky Audio View Post

Thanks for the reply. I need to post a newer picture of the front of the room. In that picture, I was still experimenting with placement. It is a wide room and the fronts are about sixteen feet apart. I was playing with the toe Right now they are probably a little less than ten degrees. I was finding that when sitting off to one side or the other, one speaker would dominate, hence playing with angles.They reside about 16 inches proud of the console, which makes them about 24 proud of the screen
It is fourteen feet six inches to my surrounds from center. That is why I was thinking of adding another driver or two. In an attempt to reinforce them somewhat.
While I appreciate the recommendation of going up to 1038be. I have a hard time justifying ten thousand dollar speakers, then I would have to have the CC1008be, so another $2,800, then the surrounds would be in the same situation, so then adding the 1028be or maybe the 1008 be adds about $4,000
So roughly $17,000 to get started. No hill for a climber, but I don't have it that bad yet.
As far as hanging up a blanket everytime, I put the system into two channel. that is a bit much for me, it is not a dedicated room, it is the greatroom of a family residence, so it would have to be changed about as often as a diaper.
Not trying to be smarmy.

Hey man,

As an owner of 1038 Be's, (IMO) I don't think replacing the surrounds is going to provide you too much of an upgrade in your listening experience. Even listening to different sound formats like AFD or PLII and and others, most of the sound comes from the L + R speakers. My suggestion to you while you are speaker shopping is play around with the speakers you currently have and maybe try to tweak the sound a little. Since you are concerned about the tweeter height on your speakers, may I suggest using a "riser" that would elevate the rear speakers to the desired listening height. Also, with a "great room" that size, I would invest in a simple radio shack spl meter to measure the levels for each channel from your seating position. Finally, I would definitely try to raise the screen up a few inches and then place the center channel in front bringing the tweeters of the L+R+C somewhat to the same height.
I am the type of person who will sit for hours and listen to music (2channel). If you are the casual listener who moves around the house and listens from various rooms of the house, I don't think you will be able to justify the purchase of 1038's or even 1028's. That was my $0.02, I hope that helped. Don't forget to demo as many speakers as you can!!!
post #5241 of 6581 Old 07-05-2012, 03:56 AM

Looking for an amp to give some headroom, musicality, refinement and dynamics to my 1008 Be (paired with a quality sub). An amp that would also match well with potential future upgrades - 1028 Be or Utopia Diablo. They will be used with Anthem MRX as pre/pro. Speaker matching is very important.

Room - medium to large
Music - rock, edm and classical (very loud level)

Getting home demo nowadays are next to impossible. But this is what I've got so far.

- Bryston 4B SST2 (running the table now..)
- McIntosh MC 252 used (very hard to find let alone getting a home demo)
- McIntosh MC 352 used (50-100 more watts than I need, not sure if it's a massive overkill)
- Parasound Halo 21A (Emotiva-like value pick, may lack refinement compared to 2 above)
- Krell KAV 2250 (no credible review found but there're some used can be gotten for reasonable price)

Any suggestions are very welcome! Thanks in advance.
post #5242 of 6581 Old 07-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

Looking for an amp to give some headroom, musicality, refinement and dynamics to my 1008 Be (paired with a quality sub). An amp that would also match well with potential future upgrades - 1028 Be or Utopia Diablo. They will be used with Anthem MRX as pre/pro. Speaker matching is very important.
Room - medium to large
Getting home demo nowadays are next to impossible. But this is what I've got so far.
- McIntosh MC 352 used (50-100 more watts than I need, not sure if it's a massive overkill)
- Parasound Halo 21A (Emotiva-like value pick, may lack refinement compared to 2 above)
- Krell KAV 2250 (no credible review found but there're some used can be gotten for reasonable price)

Since you already have an Anthem pre, have you considered an Anthem P2 -- or a pair of M1s?

Otherwise I've read several recommendations for pairing Pass labs amps with Focal.
post #5243 of 6581 Old 07-05-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

IMO, as far as matching speakers go, the tweeter is what you want to try and get as close to matching as opposed to the number of woofers a speaker may have. When I went from old Polk surrounds to Chorus surrounds, it made a huge difference, Even though I am using 1027's for my left/right and a cc1000be for my center. The timber match is much better and with room eq, they really blend well with the rest of the speakers.

I can also say that I think Bryston and Focal go very well together, I have my 1027's being powered by an older 4b-ST and the two really are a great match. The Chorus 800's should not be poo-poo'ed by anyone. They are always well reviewed and probably punch above their weight class. The 705v's that I am now using for surrounds sound really good and like I said above, they blend very well with my front speakers.

My System
post #5244 of 6581 Old 07-05-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdohman View Post

Its a sad day. Just listed my 1007bes and cc1000be in the classified section. Wife is having a pretty extensive knee surgery so these have to go. Hopefully afterwards I will be upgrading to the Diablos
The Diablo speakers are killer. Give them the right power and you will be amazed at what you hear.

My System
post #5245 of 6581 Old 07-05-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post

Quote:

Room - medium to large

Since you already have an Anthem pre, have you considered an Anthem P2 -- or a pair of M1s?

Otherwise I've read several recommendations for pairing Pass labs amps with Focal.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I feel Anthem pairing with Electra sounds a little lean and not dynamic enough. Haven't really looked into Pass labs because they'd most likely be out of my budget. I'm looking for something around $2.5k, new or used.
post #5246 of 6581 Old 07-05-2012, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I feel Anthem pairing with Electra sounds a little lean and not dynamic enough. Haven't really looked into Pass labs because they'd most likely be out of my budget. I'm looking for something around $2.5k, new or used.

Ah, didn't see the used --hence the 1K monoblocks for similar price. I understand Pass Labs being out of budget. I am unsure what you mean by lean and not dynamic enough. The P2 is 325W per channel.
post #5247 of 6581 Old 07-05-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

IMO, as far as matching speakers go, the tweeter is what you want to try and get as close to matching as opposed to the number of woofers a speaker may have. When I went from old Polk surrounds to Chorus surrounds, it made a huge difference, Even though I am using 1027's for my left/right and a cc1000be for my center. The timber match is much better and with room eq, they really blend well with the rest of the speakers.

I can also say that I think Bryston and Focal go very well together, I have my 1027's being powered by an older 4b-ST and the two really are a great match. The Chorus 800's should not be poo-poo'ed by anyone. They are always well reviewed and probably punch above their weight class. The 705v's that I am now using for surrounds sound really good and like I said above, they blend very well with my front speakers.

Thanks for the reply.

Glad to hear about Bryston matching well with Focal. Most likely I'll just end up with 4b sst2. As far as speaker matching goes, what I meant was Electra + Anthem is not my cup of tea. My old Paradigm + Anthem is whole another story.

I'll use Anthem as pre/pro for now but may get a tube pre later for 2 ch music.
post #5248 of 6581 Old 07-05-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post

Quote:

Ah, didn't see the used --hence the 1K monoblocks for similar price. I understand Pass Labs being out of budget. I am unsure what you mean by lean and not dynamic enough. The P2 is 325W per channel.

I'm using Anthem MRX receiver internal amp (100wpc) right now and not digging the combination so much. I might have used a wrong word "lean" as far as the general consensus of describing it regards to the sound characteristic goes. Besides I feel I lost some of musical excitement (dynamic?) that I had with Anthem + Paradigm.
post #5249 of 6581 Old 07-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know what amps Focal has pictured in the Electra Series banner picture on their website?
post #5250 of 6581 Old 07-06-2012, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply.
Glad to hear about Bryston matching well with Focal. Most likely I'll just end up with 4b sst2. As far as speaker matching goes, what I meant was Electra + Anthem is not my cup of tea. My old Paradigm + Anthem is whole another story.
I'll use Anthem as pre/pro for now but may get a tube pre later for 2 ch music.
The 4b sst2 should be a great match for them. It will probably sound better then my 4b-ST does since mine is a few generations old. Sorry not understanding what you meant about speaker matching. I can understand why Anthem and Paradigm sounded so good together. They are under the same parent company so it makes sense that they should have a great sound when matched up. I heard the two together at CES one time and they did sound good together.

My System
Reply Speakers

Tags
Focal , Focal 705v , Focal Chorus 836 V , Focal 716v Floor Standing Speakers , Focal 706v Chorus Loudspeakers , Focal Chorus 726v Floorstanding Speaker Light Walnut
Gear in this thread - 726v by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page