Forum Jump: 

post #6421 of 6564 Old 04-21-2014, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamouflage View Post

For you guys that upgraded from B&W what in particular did you like about the Focal sound? I've got the low end 685s and am looking for something with a brighter sound but not too extreme. Also want something that does better with HT.

I have to agree with joecmess. The B&W'S were very good speakers I had the CM9's and matching center and surrounds. But they did not involve me in the music at all, I listen to a lot of Jazz and Classical and an emotional connection to the music is always preferred. I never got that with the B&W's...they were kinda clinical in their approach. Which for some may be exactly what they like. Heck....I bought them so I must have liked them enough to lay down the coin, but the Focals put me there in the concert hall or Jazz club. And I realized what I had been missing all this time. But the best way is to listen to both ...if you can, and make a decision based on your own preferences.
scirica likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6422 of 6564 Old 04-22-2014, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Thanks for the feedback!

On another note I heard the Totem Rainmaker's and think they're awesome. Has anyone been able to demo some Focal's with the Totem's? Unfortunately I won't be able to audition any Focal's (in my price range) like I thought I would be able to.

PSN ID: javant86

post #6423 of 6564 Old 04-22-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov View Post

Proud new owner of a pair of Aria 906's
Still going through setup and expecting the arrival of a subwoofer next week but so far I love them!

So Markov now that you've had more time with them how have you enjoyed them without your sub? Of course they can't compare to a subwoofer but has it been noticeably absent when listening to music or movies?

post #6424 of 6564 Old 04-22-2014, 07:15 PM

Liked: 11
It's been a while since I've posted anything to this thread, but I am looking for some advice. I've been using Polk in-ceiling speakers for a7.2 setup. They were the top of the line Polks, but very directional as the tweeters swiveled and the drivers were angled to aim sound towards the main listening position. I've been thinking of possibly getting some on wall Focal surrounds. Is it worth getting Electra surrounds to more closely match my Divas or have things changed enough that nothing will match up that well? Or would some other Focal surrounds do the trick? I'm hoping to create a more diffuse surround experience when watching movies. Most music I listen to is in stereo.

I love this stuff!
post #6425 of 6564 Old 04-23-2014, 01:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by norml4721 View Post

Hi :

Have you considered a Pioneer Elite receiver. ( I have an all Focal Chorus 7.1 system and it supports the speakers just fine. I have the model vsx-52 receiver about one and a half years old it is 7.1, 3D passthru which puts out about 120 Watts per channel Also has a great Q-deo video processor in it.. (Check out specs on the pioneer website ) I bought it for about $900 if I remember. I will be selling it very soon for about $500.00

I just purchased a new 4K TV and need something with 4K pass thru. Even if you do not consider my receiver consider the Pioneer Elite. I have had this combination of Elite and these speakers for about 5 years now and this is my 2nd Elite receiver.

Good luck with the Focal speakers I have been a fan of JM Labs for about 12 years now. They make a great speaker. if you are interested in the receiver send me a private message.

Enjoy your home theater once you put it all together. consider a Darbee Darblet video processor . the focals make a great home theater system

Norm L.

Thanks. I ended up biting the bullet on a Denon X1000 when they were on sale at Amazon for $299. It seems to be great, though I do have to turn the volume up to about 75 percent if I'm listening really loudly, which is higher than I'd like, would be nice to have a little more headroom on the amp. But for the price, hard to beat. And agreed, Focal makes some great speakers, I've been a fan too for a long time.

Benq W1070 projector w/ Chief RSM mount with custom interface bracket
119" Da-Lite Cinema Contour with High-Contrast (gray) Da-Mat screen
Denon X2000 receiver fed by Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Bluray player
Focal Chorus 700-series towers and center, JMLab Tantal 500-series bookshelf rears
Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #6426 of 6564 Old 04-23-2014, 03:03 AM

Liked: 10

Hey Guys,

Need some help here!
I'm new to the world of hi fi (moving away from HT) & would like to seek your advice.
All opinions are welcomed!

Background: I currently play my songs via windows laptop (SSD storage) to Onkyo 609 HT amp, using iTunes Apple lossless files. I have created different playlists for different moods. Playing direct from CD is surely better but lacks the playlist flexibility. I like to buy CDs and rip them using iTunes.

Been auditioning speakers & integrated amps all this while & have decided on the following:
Fronts: Focal Aria 936
CC: Focal Aria CC900
Integrated Amp: Musical Fidelity M6i
Rears & Subs: not particular, anything goes

Here comes my questions:
1) My auditions with the speakers & int. amp are done on separate occasions. Will they make a good pairing?

2) Should I use the USB dac in M6i? (not sure if its asynchronous)
3) If I continue to use my windows PC & iTunes, how can I further improve the SQ? Adding another DAC, cables, way of ripping CDs, software, etc?

Many thanks in advance.

post #6427 of 6564 Old 04-24-2014, 03:59 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I want to alert people in this thread to a possibly fraudulent listing on eBay for a pair of 1027 Be's. The listing is using a bunch of my pictures I took of my 1027 S's that I recently listed on Audiogon, USAudioMart, and the AVS Classifieds. 9 of the pictures used in the listing are mine Additionally, the description is blatantly copied from my description with only minor modifications to mangle the wording rolleyes.gif.

If it is a legitimate listing, the seller is an idiot because he's selling 1027 Be's, presumably in the Basalt finish (assuming the other photos aren't stolen too...), showing a bunch of photos of 1027 S's in a different finish, and clearly says 1027 S in the description because he was too lazy to even change that. Interestingly, the buyer of my 1027 S's is located in Orlando, Florida but has asked me to not ship them till the end of the month because he's on vacation (but has paid me already).

eBay has been notified and I have sent a message to the seller, though I suspect he'll ignore me.

Buyer beware...
SuperPoser likes this.
post #6428 of 6564 Old 04-28-2014, 05:40 PM

Not an audiophile or really picky, here's my brief overview of my time with the Focal 807v's. As I've been using B&W 685's for the last 3 years or so I was looking something with more clarity but still provided some low end and everything I read said the Focal's fit the bill in my <$1,000 price range. The midrange was great and high end had awesome clarity. While better than my 685's in midrange/high end there wasn't a huge gulf to justify the new expense. Also with these having a 7" woofer I thought bass would be great but the 685's beat it hands down. I don't have room to hook up my sub in my new place and the 685's have been doing a great job handling the low end for me. Hooking them up back to back showed the superior clarity of the Focal but there was just some oomph missing from the music. Even adjusting position and tone didn't produce the desired results so unfortunately I'll be sending them back. Now my next quest is to find something with the clarity of the Focal's with the bass of the 685's in a bookshelf (WAF). I'll keep listening while my return is processed but doubt I'll still be owner for long. Let my wife listen to them back to back for about 15 minutes a piece today and she preferred the B&W's.

Did approx. 20 hour break-in from Friday-Sunday per manufacturer's recommendation
Denon 2112ci - Pure Direct
Music - Joss Stone, Michael Jackson, Bruno Mars, Adele

post #6429 of 6564 Old 04-28-2014, 09:23 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Not an audiophile or really picky, here's my brief overview of my time with the Focal 807v's. As I've been using B&W 685's for the last 3 years or so I was looking something with more clarity but still provided some low end and everything I read said the Focal's fit the bill in my <$1,000 price range. The midrange was great and high end had awesome clarity. While better than my 685's in midrange/high end there wasn't a huge gulf to justify the new expense. Also with these having a 7" woofer I thought bass would be great but the 685's beat it hands down. I don't have room to hook up my sub in my new place and the 685's have been doing a great job handling the low end for me. Hooking them up back to back showed the superior clarity of the Focal but there was just some oomph missing from the music. Even adjusting position and tone didn't produce the desired results so unfortunately I'll be sending them back. Now my next quest is to find something with the clarity of the Focal's with the bass of the 685's in a bookshelf (WAF). I'll keep listening while my return is processed but doubt I'll still be owner for long. Let my wife listen to them back to back for about 15 minutes a piece today and she preferred the B&W's.

Did approx. 20 hour break-in from Friday-Sunday per manufacturer's recommendation
Denon 2112ci - Pure Direct
Music - Joss Stone, Michael Jackson, Bruno Mars, Adele

kamouflage, sorry you didn't find the low end you were wanting with the Chorus 807V speakers.

You may want to audition Von Schweikert Audio. I have the VR-1 bookshelves and they are a nice step up IMO from the Focal Chorus series and were under your budget when I bought them new. I am not sure which new model is a direct replacement (maybe Unifield One?), but if a local shop has Von Schweikert, you may be able to audition and determine if anything they offer presently will fit your preferences. http://vonschweikertaudio.com (Note, even with the VR-1's ability, I still prefer to listen with a sub.)

Right at your budget is the Profile 908 which is, IMO, a step up from the VR-1 I referenced above and the Chorus 807V. The W-Cone really does make a big improvement for Focal, again IMO. http://www.musicdirect.com/p-83551-focal-profile-908-diamond-black-pr.aspx

Taking a left turn, I have heard some Paradigm's in the past and was impressed with the low frequency capabilities of their bookshelves, but depending on the specific series, the mids and highs may be compromised compared to the other options I listed above. If you have a local store that carries Paradigm, I would suggest auditioning a couple of their series to see how you feel.
post #6430 of 6564 Old 04-29-2014, 07:51 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, definitely going to try and audition the Paradigms. May see if my local Focal dealer will have anything when their new shop gets setup in the next two weeks or so. Looked at the VS website and sent a request to see if anyone in my area has some speakers to demo but everything I've seen on their website is way out of my budget.

post #6431 of 6564 Old 04-29-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions, definitely going to try and audition the Paradigms. May see if my local Focal dealer will have anything when their new shop gets setup in the next two weeks or so. Looked at the VS website and sent a request to see if anyone in my area has some speakers to demo but everything I've seen on their website is way out of my budget.

outch, sorry about that, the VR-1 retail was around $1000, and could be found at shops for a couple hundred less... I just googled the Unifield One price and it appears in the >$3000 range... Dang, I guess they don't have any direct replacements for the ~$1000 retail range.

Goodluck with the Paradigms. Let us know if you find any you like.
post #6432 of 6564 Old 05-03-2014, 02:07 AM

Dear Focal enthusiasts.

I'm about to choose my focal speakers. May I know what is the main difference between the Aria and Chorus lines? Which one is more expensive? Which one will be more appropriate for dynamic style of the music (mostly metal and rock). 

I have an option to buy either Focal Aria 926 or Chorus 836V - both in a good deal and can't decide which one to go for...

Thanks in advance

post #6433 of 6564 Old 05-03-2014, 12:22 PM

Aria is more expensive. Have you been able to listen to either speaker yet? Below is their website.
http://www.focal.com/en/88-high-fidelity-home-cinema

post #6434 of 6564 Old 05-03-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPoser View Post

outch, sorry about that, the VR-1 retail was around $1000, and could be found at shops for a couple hundred less... I just googled the Unifield One price and it appears in the >$3000 range... Dang, I guess they don't have any direct replacements for the ~$1000 retail range.

Goodluck with the Paradigms. Let us know if you find any you like.

Got a chance to demo the Studio 20v5's today and they're much more up my alley. Nice clear mid-range and highs with that little extra oomph at the low-end I was looking for. Placement in the store was bad and the salesman told me that over the phone before I got there. Going to pick up the demo pair they had and take them home once the dealer can find the box. I want to test them in my space against my current speakers before making a final decision.
SuperPoser likes this.

post #6435 of 6564 Old 05-04-2014, 03:32 AM

Hi
I have fical aria 948. What wire cable do You recomend for thise speakers. Now I have kimber 8TC
Regards szumi
image.jpg 225k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (224.5 KB, 28 views)
post #6436 of 6564 Old 05-09-2014, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am in Bay area SFO, CA looking for Focal dealers OR place where I could listen focals.
Any help is appreciated.
post #6437 of 6564 Old 05-09-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvikasmishra View Post

I am in Bay area SFO, CA looking for Focal dealers OR place where I could listen focals.
Any help is appreciated.

Did you check the Focal website for dealers in your area?

post #6438 of 6564 Old 05-10-2014, 01:53 PM

I did. Most of them catering to audio sales for cars.
Tauras ( in Fremont) & Beeswing in Redwood city told me they could me speaker for buying but they
don't have any for demo.
I am primarily looking to demo Chorus & Electra line.
post #6439 of 6564 Old 05-10-2014, 07:14 PM

I ran into the same issue with no one having any for demo so I ended up just ordering some from Music Direct to test in my home. Long story short I was out $40 for return shipping because I didn't like them. I figured it was worth it because I won't have that nagging feeling of "what if" in the back of my head.

post #6440 of 6564 Old 05-10-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:

I am primarily looking to demo Chorus & Electra line.

If you have the money for the Electra series and proper electronics, forget the Chrous series. ;o)
IMO, the Chorus are very good for their price point but the Electras are a huge step up over the Chrous, both in audio quality and price point.
post #6441 of 6564 Old 05-12-2014, 04:04 PM

Hi guys,

Dropping in with a quick note to say hi and ask for some advice about improving the sound quality of my set up.

This past March and April, I bought the Focal line for my entertainment centre (Focal 936, CC900, SR700) along with a Paradigm DSP-3100 subwoofer and Anthem MRX 710 receiver. Primarily use the system for about 80% multichannel (movies, games) and 20% 2.1 channels for music.

So far, I am really enjoying the Focal sound. However, I am wondering if the Anthem MRX 710 is the best choice for my set up. When I auditioned the Focal speakers, I listened them with Anthem, Denon and Marantz A/V receivers. The Anthem was the best sound of the three receivers and it's been good so far. I have put in some acoustic treatments in my room as well as run the ARC program.

When listening to two channel music or movies and games, I find that the Anthem receiver processor seems to have a tough time delivering the sound to my speakers. If there are one or two sounds, it's fine but soon as you throw in the full gamut, the sound becomes a bit muddled.

Do I switch out for a better receiver? Am I better off going with a multi channel pre amp to power the Focals?

Full disclosure: I also auditioned the Focals on the Bryston SB series and while they sounded absolutely amazing, those separates are way out of my price range.

Thanks for reading and appreciate any advice that you may have.

post #6442 of 6564 Old 05-12-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsguy View Post

I also echo SuperPoser's suggestion to forget the Chorus series. I purchased the Chorus 716 and CC700 back in March, wasn't satisfied with the sound and upgraded to the Aria 936.

Having said that, I would consider the Aria line depending on what you want to do. Are you buying for two channel listening or multi channel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPoser View Post

If you have the money for the Electra series and proper electronics, forget the Chrous series. ;o)
IMO, the Chorus are very good for their price point but the Electras are a huge step up over the Chrous, both in audio quality and price point.

I also echo SuperPoser's suggestion to forget the Chorus series. I purchased the Chorus 716 and CC700 back in March, wasn't satisfied with the sound and upgraded to the Aria 936.

Having said that, I would consider the Aria line depending on what you want to do. Are you buying for two channel listening or multi channel?

post #6443 of 6564 Old 05-12-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsguy View Post

Hi guys,
Dropping in with a quick note to say hi and ask for some advice about improving the sound quality of my set up.

This past March and April, I bought the Focal line for my entertainment centre (Focal 936, CC900, SR700) along with a Paradigm DSP-3100 subwoofer and Anthem MRX 710 receiver. Primarily use the system for about 80% multichannel (movies, games) and 20% 2.1 channels for music.

So far, I am really enjoying the Focal sound. However, I am wondering if the Anthem MRX 710 is the best choice for my set up. When I auditioned the Focal speakers, I listened them with Anthem, Denon and Marantz A/V receivers. The Anthem was the best sound of the three receivers and it's been good so far. I have put in some acoustic treatments in my room as well as run the ARC program.

When listening to two channel music or movies and games, I find that the Anthem receiver processor seems to have a tough time delivering the sound to my speakers. If there are one or two sounds, it's fine but soon as you throw in the full gamut, the sound becomes a bit muddled.

Do I switch out for a better receiver? Am I better off going with a multi channel pre amp to power the Focals?

Full disclosure: I also auditioned the Focals on the Bryston SB series and while they sounded absolutely amazing, those separates are way out of my price range.

Thanks for reading and appreciate any advice that you may have.

Hi Leafsguy,
What source are you using?

Several years ago, I upgraded from a Denon receiver, to using the Denon as a processor only with an Anthem PVA-7, then finally replaced the the Denon with an Anthem AVM50.
These made small improvements, but it wasn't until I purchased an Denon DVD-3910 that I realized how much the source unit matters. I now listen to SACDs and CDs from the DVD-3910 with direct mode on the Anthem AVM50 and it really opens up the sound. Sending digital to the Anthem AVM50 and letting it convert to analog doesn't sound anywhere near as good.

I would suggest upgrading your source, and running your Anthem in direct mode.
post #6444 of 6564 Old 05-13-2014, 02:48 PM

Thanks guys for your advice.
I am proud owner of Electra 1027 BE ( I preferred used electra over new chorus in by budget).

Here is two channel set up I am looking at ( used for music only )

1027 BE
Pre amp : Emotiva XSP1
Amp : a) Conrad Johnson classic sixty amp
b) Jolida 801 BRC
c) Jolida 502P
Sub: Axiom Audio EP400 Subwoofer

Comments/Suggestions ?
SuperPoser likes this.
post #6445 of 6564 Old 05-15-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Thanks guys for your advice.
I am proud owner of Electra 1027 BE ( I preferred used electra over new chorus in by budget).

Here is two channel set up I am looking at ( used for music only )

1027 BE
Pre amp : Emotiva XSP1
Amp : a) Conrad Johnson classic sixty amp
b) Jolida 801 BRC
c) Jolida 502P
Sub: Axiom Audio EP400 Subwoofer

Comments/Suggestions ?
I have the 1027's. I have not heard it with any of those amps but I can say that Focal and tubes go great together because I have heard them many times paired up. They all look like they have good specs and should be no problem driving the 1027's. Conrad may have more of a name recognition though. I did hear the 927's with low power(60 watt) Batt amps a long time ago and it sounded fantastic. So I know 60 watts of tube power will be fine for these speakers.
dvikasmishra likes this.

It ain't easy being green.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6446 of 6564 Old 05-16-2014, 09:46 AM

I'm planning on buying a Yamaha R-N500 (2 channel network receiver) to put in a small bedroom and would like to know if a Focal 806v would match well with it.  Or is the 80 watt/channel not enough power to drive these speakers well?  I'm kind of set on that receiver because of it's network streaming built right in to it.  I was also considering Kef Q300 speakers.  Don't know which would be better with that Yamaha amp.   I like the Focal and Kef speakers especially because they have the porting coming out the front. They will be sitting on a long dresser in my bedroom up against a wall so the front porting will probably work out better.  I'm interested to read what the forum members think about this or what you would do.  Thanks.

post #6447 of 6564 Old 05-18-2014, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just bought myself an Anthem Mrx 710 with a set of Focal Aria 926s. Matching centre and surrounds plus an svs sub to follow later on

Pick them up in a few weeks, beyond excited smile.gif
post #6448 of 6564 Old 05-18-2014, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinner84 View Post

Just bought myself an Anthem Mrx 710 with a set of Focal Aria 926s. Matching centre and surrounds plus an svs sub to follow later on

I may be interested in using the MRX710 with this same combination of Focal Aria 926, 906 and 900C. Can you please let us know how this Receiver performs with this combination as I was concerned over how well the MRX710 handles the low impedance dips of the 926 coupled to the MRX710 not rated at 4 ohms. Does the receiver run hot with these speakers? Please give us your impression of this combination after some use both short term and long term.
post #6449 of 6564 Old 05-18-2014, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucka View Post

I may be interested in using the MRX710 with this same combination of Focal Aria 926, 906 and 900C. Can you please let us know how this Receiver performs with this combination as I was concerned over how well the MRX710 handles the low impedance dips of the 926 coupled to the MRX710 not rated at 4 ohms. Does the receiver run hot with these speakers? Please give us your impression of this combination after some use both short term and long term.

You're right the Anthem doesn't have a 4ohm rating, but I wouldn't think it would have any issues with it. I can see that the focals dip to 2.9 ohm, but most speakers of this size would also right? And it would only dip that low at very low frequencies (~40hz)

I will make a post in the anthem Mrx thread and see what they say. I'm at the edge of my understanding with impedance/power requirements here smile.gif
post #6450 of 6564 Old 05-20-2014, 06:57 PM

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinner84 View Post

Congratulations on the Focals and Anthem Receiver. Please keep us up to date, and I look forward to hearing your impressions on the Focals and how they mate with the Anthem.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Focal , Focal 705v , Focal Chorus 836 V , Focal 716v Floor Standing Speakers , Focal 706v Chorus Loudspeakers , Focal Chorus 726v Floorstanding Speaker Light Walnut
Gear in this thread - 726v by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page