post #6571 of 6572 Old 10-19-2014, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty_88 View Post
My listening position will be around 12feet away. Yes i'll be using one JL F113. Planning on a Atmos setup with 4 overheads for 5.1.4 setup. Do you any experience with onkyo and Focal electras?
Although I've owned Onkyo and demo'd Focal, it's irrelevant whether I think they "mix together" well. Your primary focus of purchase should be features (atmos in your case/ room correction) and whether or not it has enough power to reach reference and above during peaks. You're looking at a max of 105db at your LP during peaks (85db reference). From 12 feet away with your LCR speakers you'll hit 103.5db with 100 wpc. [http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html] Unfortunately with most AVRs they measure power by measuring 2 channels, each additional speaker you add to the receiver diminishes the output and power to each separate channel. You're running a sub, which means it should take a significant amount of load of your AVR by running all the LFE - but to be safe I'd recommend something like the X4100 [http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/pa...tid=avrx4100w] which 1. offers 5.1.4 Atmos (with the addition of an amp) 2. Has Audyssey room correction software (arguably the best, with the exception of Anthem's ARC) 3. Built in Blue tooth, Built in Wifi etc.

You'll want to ensure your LCR has the full 100wpc - and you'll need to add an amp anyways for 5.1.4, so I'd pick up an Emotiva XPA-200 amp [https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-200] which will give you 150wpc into your L and R front speakers. This gives you more than enough power to hit your dynamic reference peaks with ease, and frees up the amps in the AVR to do the same for the rest of your speakers. In addition if you move on to a different AVR in the future you can keep the amp to allow it to fill the same / different needs (such as powering a zone 2 or 3).

Last but not least, if you can hold off - wait until next year when HDMI 2.0 AND HDCP 2.2 are available at the same time, as without it you'll have difficulty playing back some 4k content even with a 4k screen. This is a VERY important consideration to look into if you're planning on keeping your AVR for any length of time. More info can be found here: http://www.audioholics.com/hdtv-form...i-2.0-hdcp-2.2

No amp / AVR will make your Focal's sound "smoother" or "more refined" or any other nonsense. If an AVR colors the sound you hear it's either 1. a tube amp (and you're not using it for home theater) or 2. broken. Anyone who tells you differently is pulling the wool over your eyes so beware.

Cheers!
ambesolman likes this.

Denon X4000 / Onkyo M282 amp
2 x PSB T6, 4 x PSB B5, 2 x PSB B4, 1 x PSB C5
2 x Rythmik LV12r
Dual Turntable
HTPC / gaming PC
Samsung PN60e530 Plasma

Last edited by Sean Spamilton; 10-19-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6572 of 6572 Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Whatever makes you sleep at night, buddy.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Focal , Focal 705v , Focal Chorus 836 V , Focal 716v Floor Standing Speakers , Focal 706v Chorus Loudspeakers , Focal Chorus 726v Floorstanding Speaker Light Walnut
Gear in this thread - 726v by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page