Focal - JM Lab Owner's Thread - Page 220 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #6571 of 6598 Old 10-19-2014, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
Sean Spamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty_88 View Post
My listening position will be around 12feet away. Yes i'll be using one JL F113. Planning on a Atmos setup with 4 overheads for 5.1.4 setup. Do you any experience with onkyo and Focal electras?
Although I've owned Onkyo and demo'd Focal, it's irrelevant whether I think they "mix together" well. Your primary focus of purchase should be features (atmos in your case/ room correction) and whether or not it has enough power to reach reference and above during peaks. You're looking at a max of 105db at your LP during peaks (85db reference). From 12 feet away with your LCR speakers you'll hit 103.5db with 100 wpc. [http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html] Unfortunately with most AVRs they measure power by measuring 2 channels, each additional speaker you add to the receiver diminishes the output and power to each separate channel. You're running a sub, which means it should take a significant amount of load of your AVR by running all the LFE - but to be safe I'd recommend something like the X4100 [http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/pa...tid=avrx4100w] which 1. offers 5.1.4 Atmos (with the addition of an amp) 2. Has Audyssey room correction software (arguably the best, with the exception of Anthem's ARC) 3. Built in Blue tooth, Built in Wifi etc.

You'll want to ensure your LCR has the full 100wpc - and you'll need to add an amp anyways for 5.1.4, so I'd pick up an Emotiva XPA-200 amp [https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-200] which will give you 150wpc into your L and R front speakers. This gives you more than enough power to hit your dynamic reference peaks with ease, and frees up the amps in the AVR to do the same for the rest of your speakers. In addition if you move on to a different AVR in the future you can keep the amp to allow it to fill the same / different needs (such as powering a zone 2 or 3).

Last but not least, if you can hold off - wait until next year when HDMI 2.0 AND HDCP 2.2 are available at the same time, as without it you'll have difficulty playing back some 4k content even with a 4k screen. This is a VERY important consideration to look into if you're planning on keeping your AVR for any length of time. More info can be found here: http://www.audioholics.com/hdtv-form...i-2.0-hdcp-2.2

No amp / AVR will make your Focal's sound "smoother" or "more refined" or any other nonsense. If an AVR colors the sound you hear it's either 1. a tube amp (and you're not using it for home theater) or 2. broken. Anyone who tells you differently is pulling the wool over your eyes so beware.

Cheers!
ambesolman likes this.

Last edited by Sean Spamilton; 10-19-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Sean Spamilton is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6572 of 6598 Old 10-20-2014, 10:30 AM
Senior Member
 
kzhtoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Whatever makes you sleep at night, buddy.
SuperPoser likes this.
kzhtoo is offline  
post #6573 of 6598 Old 10-21-2014, 08:09 AM
Member
 
Greg121986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Metro Detroit, MI
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Spamilton View Post
No amp / AVR will make your Focal's sound "smoother" or "more refined" or any other nonsense. If an AVR colors the sound you hear it's either 1. a tube amp (and you're not using it for home theater) or 2. broken. Anyone who tells you differently is pulling the wool over your eyes so beware.
This doesn't correlate with my own experiences. I have in my possession an Anthem PVA7, Audio-GD Master 10, and Luxman 505UX. All sound very different with my Electra 1028Be. Source is an Oppo BDP-105. Am I insane, or do I just have ears?
SuperPoser likes this.
Greg121986 is offline  
post #6574 of 6598 Old 10-21-2014, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
Sean Spamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg121986 View Post
This doesn't correlate with my own experiences. I have in my possession an Anthem PVA7, Audio-GD Master 10, and Luxman 505UX. All sound very different with my Electra 1028Be. Source is an Oppo BDP-105. Am I insane, or do I just have ears?
You're not insane, but you are experiencing a combination of listener bias (expectation that they sound different that actually makes them seem to sound different) and experiencing slightly different volumes with each component. Did you level match them for volume with a SPL meter when you switched out components? - If you were to do so, and had a friend switch between amps while you were blindfolded (double blind test) - you'd be unable to tell the difference. Guaranteed. If you've convinced yourself differently you owe it to yourself to do some research into this. If you'd prefer not to and are happy with what you think you believe that's fine too - and good luck with your search
Sean Spamilton is online now  
post #6575 of 6598 Old 10-21-2014, 09:31 AM
Member
 
SuperPoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sean,
you previously posted this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Spamilton View Post

...
"Richard Clark is an audio professional. Like many audiophiles, he originally believed the magazines and marketing materials that different amplifier topologies and components colored the sound in unique, clearly audible ways. He later did experiments to quantify and qualify these effects, and was surprised to find them inaudible when volume and other factors were matched.

His challenge is an offer of $10,000 of his own money to anyone who could identify which of two amplifiers was which, by listening only, under a set of rules that he conceived to make sure they both measure “good enough” and are set up the same. Reports are that thousands of people have taken the test, and none has passed the test. Nobody has been able to show an audible difference between two amps under the test rules." (Source: http://tom-morrow-land.com/tests/ampchall/)

Here's some additional threads by AVS members who generally agree that there is no distinguishable difference between the sounds of amps. Again, as per my original post about volume, if you push an amp hard enough, and drive it to clipping it will produce distortion, in which case obviously a bigger amp, such as the one found in the 3805, would be preferable. But as I said the OP would have to have a HUGE space to have the need to push it to that extent - and even so would be in the hearing damage range while doing it.
...
And I replied with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPoser View Post


This is an interesting article... It is basically stating that Richard Clark is able to use an equalizer to match the output of an amp with the unequalized output of another amp. And no one has been able to tell the difference. Impressive for sure. I am not that good at setting the equalizer manually, nor is the Denon AVR 2805 auto-tune.

On to your next topic, the above referenced article does claim one important fact, and that is not all amps are linear which is a major reason some amps do not sound as good as other amps... (The reason he would need to use an equalizer in order to obtain the linear response from the amp.)
Typically higher quality amps will be more linear from 20Hz to 20kHz.
(Another spec to consider is the signal to noise ratio...)

The amp will color the sound, as will the source unit and anything else modifying the audio single... the specs will state how much the amp will color the sound.
However, it is said that a 3db differential is generally the minimum a human ear can detect, so it would be difficult to detect a 3db drop in a frequency range. But if several components have the same issue in the same frequency range, it is possible the coloration may be detected by the listener. If this were not true, Richard Clark would not need to equalize one of the amps in order to perform his test...

I agree with your idea, that for qwerty_88's application, he should look at the functions of the receiver. For this application, that would be my suggestion too.
But, I fail to comprehend what you don't understand about the fact that output responses at various frequencies will be different from amplifier to amplifier. (Likewise with any electronic device that handles the audio single.)

Also, using a statement such as
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Spamilton View Post
Anyone who tells you differently is pulling the wool over your eyes so beware.
is rather interesting for someone who also suggests using research.
Feel free to take some freshman or softmore level electrical engineering classes in analog electronics if you don't believe me, or if you don't believe research, or if you don't believe the links you used in your previous posts.

Again, your actual suggestion is what I too would suggest, but your extra comments are incorrect.
SuperPoser is offline  
post #6576 of 6598 Old 10-21-2014, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
Sean Spamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPoser View Post
Sean,
you previously posted this:



And I replied with this:




I agree with your idea, that for qwerty_88's application, he should look at the functions of the receiver. For this application, that would be my suggestion too.
But, I fail to comprehend what you don't understand about the fact that output responses at various frequencies will be different from amplifier to amplifier. (Likewise with any electronic device that handles the audio single.)

Also, using a statement such as is rather interesting for someone who also suggests using research.
Feel free to take some freshman or softmore level electrical engineering classes in analog electronics if you don't believe me, or if you don't believe research, or if you don't believe the links you used in your previous posts.

Again, your actual suggestion is what I too would suggest, but your extra comments are incorrect.
First off - by your generous invitation to take EE classes I'm going to infer that YOU (superposer) are indeed an EE. In which case I find it surprising you're suggesting that the OP buy an amp / AVR based on superior THD or Linearity. I'd assume you'd know that just about EVERY modern day AVR has less than 1% THD (considered to be inaudible to humans) and that they all have an extremely flat response from 20hz to 20khz. As such I can only assume that you have a vested interest in this discussion; my assumption being that either 1. you work in sales in the audio industry or 2. you've spent a lot of money on an amp whose "sound" you prefer and won't be convinced that it doesn't have a specific "sound" at all.

Of course it could be a combination of the above, in which case I'd invite you to take have a look at this introductory course I think might be of use to you going forward: http://www.luc.edu/quinlan/mba/business-ethics-courses/

To the OP - I can only encourage you to do your own research before you spend your hard earned money on something that has been marketed to you as being superior, when in fact it's just typical audio industry snake oil. Here's an article in reference to superposers assertions dispelling some of the myths propagated by those that would convince you otherwise. There are many many more like it, this one can get you started. http://www.audioholics.com/audio-amp...-in-amplifiers
Sean Spamilton is online now  
post #6577 of 6598 Old 10-21-2014, 11:12 AM
Member
 
Greg121986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Metro Detroit, MI
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is Audioholics an unequivocally neutral source for information? Or, are they also a for-profit entity that relies on ad revenues to generate and maintain their ability to deliver content and compensate their staff? Has anyone noticed the constant Emotiva "Featured Reviews" that are on the front page every time this website loads? Can I trust that the information they present to me is the truth and is no way influenced by their revenues from advertisers and paid reviews? Are they trying to tell me that all of the components they put on their website sound the same and nothing they write actually matters? The contradiction of capitalist marketplace and audiophile double-blind truth is at war here!

I took a screenshot from the Audioholics main page and highlighted a few key words from their preview text which seems to be designed to convince me to click the link and read the article. This doesn't read like a neutral message that is designed to spread the truth that all audio components reviewed on this website are "the same." It appears more to me that they are attempting to convince readers to purchase Emotiva's products, or any other products that may receive a glowing review on their Featured Reviews and Articles page.

I feel like both sides of this argument cannot possibly be right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Audioholics.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	323074  
SuperPoser likes this.
Greg121986 is offline  
post #6578 of 6598 Old 10-21-2014, 11:36 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,617
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I forgot - am I in the Audio Theory forum or in a Focal thread in the Speakers forum? Just wondering... But I'd suggest that the audio theory discussion be taken to the proper forum so we can get back to discussing Focal speakers.
SuperPoser likes this.
gsr is offline  
post #6579 of 6598 Old 10-21-2014, 11:59 AM
Member
 
SuperPoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Spamilton View Post
First off - by your generous invitation to take EE classes I'm going to infer that YOU (superposer) are indeed an EE. In which case I find it surprising you're suggesting that the OP buy an amp / AVR based on superior THD or Linearity. I'd assume you'd know that just about EVERY modern day AVR has less than 1% THD (considered to be inaudible to humans) and that they all have an extremely flat response from 20hz to 20khz. As such I can only assume that you have a vested interest in this discussion; my assumption being that either 1. you work in sales in the audio industry or 2. you've spent a lot of money on an amp whose "sound" you prefer and won't be convinced that it doesn't have a specific "sound" at all.

Of course it could be a combination of the above, in which case I'd invite you to take have a look at this introductory course I think might be of use to you going forward: http://www.luc.edu/quinlan/mba/business-ethics-courses/

To the OP - I can only encourage you to do your own research before you spend your hard earned money on something that has been marketed to you as being superior, when in fact it's just typical audio industry snake oil. Here's an article in reference to superposers assertions dispelling some of the myths propagated by those that would convince you otherwise. There are many many more like it, this one can get you started. http://www.audioholics.com/audio-amp...-in-amplifiers

Sean,
I did NOT suggest the OP make a purchase based on superior THD or Linearity. (Did you read that from what I typed???) I DID suggest the OP should look at the functions of the receiver. I agree with your suggestion of the Denon receiver and the Emotiva amp, specifically based on the functions available in the receiver, NOT on the THD or Linearity. (FWIW, I would also suggest looking at used amps to save a few more dollars.)

I am pointing out the fact that every electronic device that does anything to the audio signal WILL modify the audio signal. It is possible the modification is not not audible, but if several devices have dips or peaks at the same frequency range, it is highly possible it would be audible. When you say this is not true on an online forum, it is possible someone new will read it and believe it. I am correcting your error to prevent someone new from believing your statements. At the minimum, someone new will at least see that not everyone agrees with your statements and they may do their own research or believe what they wish.

In reply to your speculations:
I am an electrical engineer and these things you are arguing with are things that are studied in depth in Analog Electronics and in the design and theory of transistor design. These topics are briefly covered in some lower level classes too (Freshman & Softmore years). In electrical labs, transistor response is typically tested and studied.
I have no money invested in this game, I do not work in the audio industry and own no stock in any audio companies.
I also do not have "expensive" electronics, although it is old and needs updated... (I would love a newer 11.1 system or whatever the latest and greatest is this week but haven't gotten around to upgrading. I have been thinking about a refurbished Denon 4520ci for $1000, but that is a lot of money to spend on a refurbished unit IMO.)
BTW, I have taken Ethics classes in the past... Perhaps that is the reason why I felt it necessary to reply.

Sean, you offer some very useful advice in some of your posts, but then you also offer incorrect info in some of your posts. I am simply attempting to correct miss-information to prevent others from taking that miss-information to heart.
Doctor Morbius likes this.
SuperPoser is offline  
post #6580 of 6598 Old 10-21-2014, 12:00 PM
Member
 
SuperPoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
I forgot - am I in the Audio Theory forum or in a Focal thread in the Speakers forum? Just wondering... But I'd suggest that the audio theory discussion be taken to the proper forum so we can get back to discussing Focal speakers.
My bad gsr, good call ;o)
SuperPoser is offline  
post #6581 of 6598 Old 10-21-2014, 12:52 PM
Member
 
Greg121986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Metro Detroit, MI
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I also want to talk more about how awesome my Focal Electra 1028 Be speakers are, and less about opinions on "audio theory."

In short, my Electra 1028 Be are spectacular, and I adore them. I never want to give them up, I never want to let them dowwwn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rick_Astley.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	323178  
Greg121986 is offline  
post #6582 of 6598 Old 10-24-2014, 06:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Doctor Morbius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Indianoplace
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Music Direct has updated their closeout prices on some Focals. They've added a couple of models as well.

I could have saved $119 on my Chorus 826Vs had I waited a year.

1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Emotiva XDA-2 > Emotiva Control Freak > Crown XLS2000 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs
2: Computer > Parasound Zdac > Emotiva Control Freak > Acurus A150 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub
Doctor Morbius is offline  
post #6583 of 6598 Old 10-25-2014, 08:10 AM
Newbie
 
Bruce in Philly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My Impressions of the Focal 1028 Be

I have owned my Focal 1028 Be for about four months now...... In short, I am very very happy. Actually, I am really impressed.

The Good:
  • They image really really well... some of the best I've heard without a rear firing tweeter or being a dipole.
  • They rock.... the bass is mostly there and fairly tight. I like it
  • Naturalness.... mostly... see the Bad
  • Musicality; I am really enjoying the music as long as the recordings are not too digital or tizzy
  • Human voices sound really natural but... see the Bad

The Bad:
  • The speakers have a character and this character is in the lower tweeter frequencies. When a speaker has a character, it is not perfect.
  • Could have a bit more, dynamic low bass... but this is OK as the drivers and system are not that large and therefore this is to be expected (deep big bass requires big drivers to move air, anything else like ports is trickery and therefore never perfect)

My Reference:
  • Power is from a pair of VTL Deluxe 300 tube amps
  • Digital source direct to the amps is a Benchmark DAC1 USB
  • Source is all bit-for-bit ripped CDs played straight through via Windows 7 and Foobar player
  • Last speakers were Magnepan MG20 and Martin Logan Quest Zs before that
The MLs only existed in my system for two months as the tube amps could not push their awful load. I had the MG20s in my system for about ten years and absolutely loved them. They imaged like crazy, had the most natural sound I ever heard but lacked in the deep bass and were not dynamic.... they lacked rock punch. But they were so natural, I didn't care about their deficiencies. I had to get rid of them as I just didn't listen to them anymore... I moved my system into my office where I needed a smaller speaker, hence the Focal 1028 Be.

So given the Magnepan MG 20s, just over $10K new, as a reference, the Focals are pretty darn close but not as natural sounding and I blame the tweeter. I know that tweeter is the big appeal of these speakers but it is not perfect. I wish I could attenuate the tweeter just a tad and this probably has to do with it revealing the deficiencies in some digital sources and or poorly produced recordings. Some recordings sound better than I ever new they were and sound so much more alive on the Focals than the Magnepans while others can be just irritating in the high end. This is where I value "musicality" in that a perfect speaker should sound great with all different types of recordings (the Magnepans did). The Focals can be just too revealing in the high end and that detracts from musicality on some recordings. I kinda wish is was just rolled off at the top.

The tweeter also has a character and that appears to be a woodiness or canniness (like a metal can) in the lower end of its range. I don't know why and I am sure I am not describing this accurately. This character is definitely extremely minor and I am really nit-picking here.

If you are coming from dipole planars like I did, you will be worried you are losing the imaging. You won't be disappointed with these Focals although the imaging is not as large, but then again, the Magnepans radiate over an almost 7' by 3' surface. But what you loose in image size, you will gain dynamics is spades. What a joy to be listing to the power and punch of a fantastic dynamic speaker again. Just great!

The other fantastic design aspect is the benign load. 8 Ohm nominal and 3.5 Ohm minimum. I can't find that minimum. These are the easiest speakers my tubes have driven and I had a bunch of other speakers through this system (friends will bring some over etc.). With difficult loads, tubes can become glassy and harsh as well as losing dynamics. Cheers to their engineers who clearly placed load as a design objective. If you don't know the value of an easy load, that is OK as it means that more amps will sound good with this speaker than not (although I will always recommend a high current dumping amp over anything that weighs two pounds and boasts high watts).

Another note: I auditioned Focal's next cheapest speaker... I don't remember the model number but it was their cheaper line. No comparison. I hadn't planned on spending this much for office speakers but when I heard theses 1028 Bes, it was a no-brainer. I honestly did not hear any speaker that sounded as good in this price range. Note even close. I think these are an amazing value. I have the walnut and feel this color/finish fits well into almost any decor... very neutral.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

My old and loved Magnepan 20s and VTL amps - digital front end is an Accuphase DP55v
IcetomLT and AcuraDude like this.

Last edited by Bruce in Philly; 10-25-2014 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Tweaked it up a bit and added the pic.
Bruce in Philly is offline  
post #6584 of 6598 Old 10-27-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
scirica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas, TX1
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 104
My friend (a local Dallas home theater builder) just set up a two-channel showroom with the 1028be's powered by the McIntosh MC452. Preamp is the MC2500. Sounds amazing. Congrats!

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
scirica is offline  
post #6585 of 6598 Unread 11-05-2014, 08:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Doctor Morbius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Indianoplace
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius View Post
Has anyone had a chance to directly compare the new Aria 906 stand mounts to the new KEF LS50s? They both have the same MSRP, but it seems the KEFs get a lot of love on AVS and Audio Karma.

If anyone has heard them back to back, I'd like to know how they compare as nearfield speakers and perhaps sitting 7 to 8 feet away.
Anyone?

1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Emotiva XDA-2 > Emotiva Control Freak > Crown XLS2000 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs
2: Computer > Parasound Zdac > Emotiva Control Freak > Acurus A150 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub
Doctor Morbius is offline  
post #6586 of 6598 Unread 11-06-2014, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Veda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 43
[QUOTE=Doctor Morbius;28823810]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius View Post
Has anyone had a chance to directly compare the new Aria 906 stand mounts to the new KEF LS50s? They both have the same MSRP, but it seems the KEFs get a lot of love on AVS and Audio Karma.
I did at the dealer. 906 has lower better bass but not as quick and nimble as the LS50. LS sounds more refined overall with sweeter highs. I prefer the LS but if you don't use a sub probably better to go with 906.
Veda is offline  
post #6587 of 6598 Unread 11-06-2014, 08:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Doctor Morbius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Indianoplace
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post
I did at the dealer. 906 has lower better bass but not as quick and nimble as the LS50. LS sounds more refined overall with sweeter highs. I prefer the LS but if you don't use a sub probably better to go with 906.
Thank you. I have a couple of subs to cover the bottom end.

I would love to be able to demo speakers like this at a dealer, but unfortunately I live in the middle of a corn field and we don't have such luxuries. I have to base audio purchases off of others' reviews.

Thanks again.

1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Emotiva XDA-2 > Emotiva Control Freak > Crown XLS2000 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs
2: Computer > Parasound Zdac > Emotiva Control Freak > Acurus A150 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub
Doctor Morbius is offline  
post #6588 of 6598 Unread 11-12-2014, 10:54 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thumbs up Focal 1028be2

I've had my speakers for a few months now and have made some changes to the equipment used with them. First, I totally disagree with Sean about a HT Receiver driving these speakers. Originally I was driving mine with an NAD M-3 amp. Since the speakers are a fairly easy load, I thought things sounded pretty good using that amp. I had the opportunity to demo a Simaudio 700i amp this summer and after hearing that amp I noticed a huge jump in the "refinement" of the soundstage. It was not subtile and I purchased the amplifier. The M3 had adequate bass but the transparency and ability to hear instruments was previously hidden behind the sound. The amp let me hear singers, instruments and percussive details I never knew existed before on almost every recording I own. That M3 amp replaced an Onkyo HT Receiver in my system for the L&R channels and even with my old less detailed B&W speakers, it was quite noticeable. I won't take the time to compare the Simaudio 700i to the Receiver...it would be a waste of time IMHO.

The other change I made was using Stillpoint UltraSS under the speakers. I'm quite familiar with Mapleshade, I had my B&W CM7 speakers setup with the Brass footers and maple plinth grounding method. My only complaint with the Mapleshade stuff is the added height of the tweeter. It raises the tweeter by over 4". Although I was skeptical of the "floating" method vs: "grounding" with spikes I decided to take advantage of a 30day trial offered with the Stillpoints. Honestly I can say when I put them under the Focal's, I heard all I needed to hear in less than 5 seconds. It's not hype, these things work. In order of magnitude, I'd rate putting Stillpoints into my system only slightly behind the improvement I got from the 700i amplifier. These things aren't a tweak, they should be considered as a vital component in a top shelf HiFi System. Highly Recommended with these speakers.
AcuraDude is offline  
post #6589 of 6598 Unread 11-14-2014, 08:34 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone!
I'm new and very happy owner of Aria 948. They sounds excellent even with my old Technics su-vx700.
During the stands installation I noticed that the bass reflex ports are partially or fully blocked by wadding [batting].
It can be seen here :
h t t p://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g430/dedobot/muzik/IMG_7286rezz_zps8c608eb2.jpg

Is it usual for Arias 948 ?
Do I need to worry about that? Is it a good idea carefully to push the wadding back to the cabinet's walls ?

Thanks in advance !
dedobot is offline  
post #6590 of 6598 Unread 11-14-2014, 09:26 AM
Member
 
Francky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Too close to the north pole
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I can see it in my 816s also. I wouldnt touch it. The ports are tuned.

Focal Chorus 816v, CC800, 807V, SVS PB2000, Cambridge 751r, OPPO 103D.
Francky is offline  
post #6591 of 6598 Unread 11-15-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jeff Flowerday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, AB Canada
Posts: 1,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuraDude View Post
I've had my speakers for a few months now and have made some changes to the equipment used with them. First, I totally disagree with Sean about a HT Receiver driving these speakers. Originally I was driving mine with an NAD M-3 amp. Since the speakers are a fairly easy load, I thought things sounded pretty good using that amp. I had the opportunity to demo a Simaudio 700i amp this summer and after hearing that amp I noticed a huge jump in the "refinement" of the soundstage. It was not subtile and I purchased the amplifier. The M3 had adequate bass but the transparency and ability to hear instruments was previously hidden behind the sound. The amp let me hear singers, instruments and percussive details I never knew existed before on almost every recording I own. That M3 amp replaced an Onkyo HT Receiver in my system for the L&R channels and even with my old less detailed B&W speakers, it was quite noticeable. I won't take the time to compare the Simaudio 700i to the Receiver...it would be a waste of time IMHO.

The other change I made was using Stillpoint UltraSS under the speakers. I'm quite familiar with Mapleshade, I had my B&W CM7 speakers setup with the Brass footers and maple plinth grounding method. My only complaint with the Mapleshade stuff is the added height of the tweeter. It raises the tweeter by over 4". Although I was skeptical of the "floating" method vs: "grounding" with spikes I decided to take advantage of a 30day trial offered with the Stillpoints. Honestly I can say when I put them under the Focal's, I heard all I needed to hear in less than 5 seconds. It's not hype, these things work. In order of magnitude, I'd rate putting Stillpoints into my system only slightly behind the improvement I got from the 700i amplifier. These things aren't a tweak, they should be considered as a vital component in a top shelf HiFi System. Highly Recommended with these speakers.
I drive my 1028BEs with a 600i. I don't think I would have bought the 600i new, I found mine 6 months old and less than 50% of retail, I couldn't pass it up.

My Band: Scotch on Sunday
Jeff Flowerday is offline  
post #6592 of 6598 Unread 11-20-2014, 01:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Doctor Morbius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Indianoplace
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 38
For those wanting a good deal on a pair of Focal Chorus 826V towers, you may want to check Music Direct's site for Black Friday deals. Price is $1,349.00. I paid $269 more than that a little over a year ago. Ouch, that stings! Original MSRP was $2700.

1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Emotiva XDA-2 > Emotiva Control Freak > Crown XLS2000 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs
2: Computer > Parasound Zdac > Emotiva Control Freak > Acurus A150 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub
Doctor Morbius is offline  
post #6593 of 6598 Unread 11-24-2014, 05:16 PM
Newbie
 
wildcrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Early Christmas present; I just got a cc1008be. Noticeable improvement in SQ*. Of course, this made me question my AV and blu-ray.

My wife rolled-her eyes and said, "I can see that this is going to get expensive".

I'd be curious to hear what people think of Marantz AV8801 + Emotiva XPA-5 or 7? In reality, I'm going to wait until there are decent HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 Pre-Pro's before actually buying, but in general I would love to hear what people are driving their Electra's with.

I'm a mix of audio + movie.

*I'm still well-within the 100-300 hour burn-in, but the improvement was instantly noticeable.
wildcrd is offline  
post #6594 of 6598 Unread 11-24-2014, 06:22 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,617
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcrd View Post
Early Christmas present; I just got a cc1008be. Noticeable improvement in SQ*. Of course, this made me question my AV and blu-ray.

My wife rolled-her eyes and said, "I can see that this is going to get expensive".

I'd be curious to hear what people think of Marantz AV8801 + Emotiva XPA-5 or 7? In reality, I'm going to wait until there are decent HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 Pre-Pro's before actually buying, but in general I would love to hear what people are driving their Electra's with.

I'm a mix of audio + movie.

*I'm still well-within the 100-300 hour burn-in, but the improvement was instantly noticeable.
I've got 1038 Be's front left/right, CC1008Be for the center, and 4 x 1027S for the sides and rears. My pre-pro is a Denon AVP-A1HDCI and amps are a pair of Parasound Halo JC-1's for the front left/right and a Parasound Halo A51 for the other 5 speakers. I'm very happy with the system.
gsr is offline  
post #6595 of 6598 Unread 11-24-2014, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
drewTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Posts: 1,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius View Post
Thank you. I have a couple of subs to cover the bottom end.

I would love to be able to demo speakers like this at a dealer, but unfortunately I live in the middle of a corn field and we don't have such luxuries. I have to base audio purchases off of others' reviews.

Thanks again.
Nothing touches the LS50s in their price point. It's a ridiculously good speaker. It does really need quality components for best performance.
drewTT is offline  
post #6596 of 6598 Unread 11-24-2014, 07:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Doctor Morbius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Indianoplace
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Nothing touches the LS50s in their price point. It's a ridiculously good speaker. It does really need quality components for best performance.
Thanks. I heard there may be a KEF dealer in Indy within the last 2 months. I'll definitely go check them out.

1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Emotiva XDA-2 > Emotiva Control Freak > Crown XLS2000 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs
2: Computer > Parasound Zdac > Emotiva Control Freak > Acurus A150 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub
Doctor Morbius is offline  
post #6597 of 6598 Unread Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Member
 
normtim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedobot View Post
Hi everyone!
I'm new and very happy owner of Aria 948. They sounds excellent even with my old Technics su-vx700.
During the stands installation I noticed that the bass reflex ports are partially or fully blocked by wadding [batting].
It can be seen here :
h t t p://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g430/dedobot/muzik/IMG_7286rezz_zps8c608eb2.jpg

Is it usual for Arias 948 ?
Do I need to worry about that? Is it a good idea carefully to push the wadding back to the cabinet's walls ?

Thanks in advance !
I can't tell from the picture (my ports would light up white like that in a photo too) but from your description, yours sound a bit different than mine. When looking in I can see what appears to be some white closed-cell foam on the back and side walls; nothing loose and fluffy like batting and none of it right at the port as you describe. That said, I suspect it's likely to be a bit of tuning applied to newer era 948s as I've had mine for a year now as I see no batting in any direction. For loose, open-cell batting like you describe, it's not unusual or bad to have it near or over a port so long as it's not hard-packed into the tube itself.
normtim is offline  
post #6598 of 6598 Unread Yesterday, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
scirica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas, TX1
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedobot View Post
Hi everyone!
I'm new and very happy owner of Aria 948. They sounds excellent even with my old Technics su-vx700.
During the stands installation I noticed that the bass reflex ports are partially or fully blocked by wadding [batting].
It can be seen here :
h t t p://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g430/dedobot/muzik/IMG_7286rezz_zps8c608eb2.jpg

Is it usual for Arias 948 ?
Do I need to worry about that? Is it a good idea carefully to push the wadding back to the cabinet's walls ?

Thanks in advance !
I noticed on one of my two 948's the "wadding" had dropped across the port and was visible as I sat on the couch facing the speakers. I did poke it back just a little so it didn't look funny. No discernible effect on sound.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
scirica is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Focal , Focal 705v , Focal Chorus 836 V , Focal 716v Floor Standing Speakers , Focal 706v Chorus Loudspeakers , Focal Chorus 726v Floorstanding Speaker Light Walnut
Gear in this thread - 726v by PriceGrabber.com



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off