Forum Jump: 

post #6601 of 6617 Old 12-02-2014, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinmax82 View Post
Are the Chorus 836vw and the 836w the same speaker?

Anyone have any experience with the new Arias line vs Chorus W? Seems like the Arias just help Focal move away from W technology to distinguish the lower and upper lines further, not in a good way for consumer either.
Read Focal's white papers on the Flax cone performance compared to the W cone performance. The Flax is VERY close to the W cone. When you consider the cost difference and factor in how adept you may be at spending money, the Aria line with their Flax driver is a very worthy candidate.
scirica and SuperPoser like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6602 of 6617 Old 12-03-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg121986 View Post
Read Focal's white papers on the Flax cone performance compared to the W cone performance. The Flax is VERY close to the W cone. When you consider the cost difference and factor in how adept you may be at spending money, the Aria line with their Flax driver is a very worthy candidate.
Totally agree!

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #6603 of 6617 Old 12-07-2014, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone.

I'm wondering if I could get some recommendations on amplification on 1028be.

I'm currently using an Oppo-105d as processor, running into a Schiit Valhalla preamp, then to a UPA-200 by Emotiva.

It sounds good, not great, and after having a 4" Fostex with a little DSP added outclass my 1028's with regards to vocals and air, I'm ready to put a little more work into them.

The best way I can think to describe the sound is somewhat flat...back row of the club sometimes. I had a SL2000A in the chain which I removed to add to the Fostex for the bed room and I feel like I lost a lot their.

Any recommendations for bringing the 1028's to life? Budget wise around $1000 at the very moment, but I can flex up a bit of I part with some of my gear.

Thank you!
- Chris
post #6604 of 6617 Old 12-07-2014, 07:21 PM

Liked: 12
I apologize if this has been covered but I didn't have time to read through all 200 pages of this thread. The Focal Aria 906 is on my short list and I was wondering how it compared to say the Sierra 2's, KEF LS50's (both other contenders) and other similarly priced bookshelf speakers?
post #6605 of 6617 Old 12-08-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogz View Post
Hello everyone.

Any recommendations for bringing the 1028's to life? Budget wise around $1000 at the very moment, but I can flex up a bit of I part with some of my gear.

Thank you!
- Chris
It seems strange, but I used an Oppo BDP-105 as a pre-amp into an Anthem PVA7 (7 channel) power amp and I was incredibly impressed by the "airiness" and transparency of the system. You should be able to find a used Anthem amp for well under $1,000. Definitely get rid of the Schiit Valhalla as a preamp. Use your Oppo as a pre-amp instead and come right off the dedicated DAC outputs for your left and right channel. You might have a look at the Emotiva XPA-1L mono blocks, they can be had for under $1000. Or the XPA-2 power amp. If you opt to try the Emotiva's please give me your detailed thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwell88 View Post
I apologize if this has been covered but I didn't have time to read through all 200 pages of this thread. The Focal Aria 906 is on my short list and I was wondering how it compared to say the Sierra 2's, KEF LS50's (both other contenders) and other similarly priced bookshelf speakers?
I've heard the 906 but I have not heard the other speakers you've mentioned. I really like the way the 906 sounded. The bass was surprisingly powerful and the mid-range was nicely detailed. However, it seems like everyone raves about the LS50 and gets them no matter what else is being considered at that price. I'd keep looking around to see if you can have a listen to the Aria 906 before making the decision.

Last edited by Greg121986; 12-08-2014 at 10:46 AM.
post #6606 of 6617 Old 12-08-2014, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Thank you!
- Chris
I also have Anthem PVA-7 on a set of Electra fronts (1027S) and love it. I am using an Anthem preamp/processor.
I picked up my PVA-7 on ebay several years ago for around $750 and I also picked up a PVA-2 with a B&K preamp for under $400 shipped. FWIW, I have seen the Anthem MCA 20 sell for under $500 on ebay.
http://www.anthemav.com/products/type=amplifier
post #6607 of 6617 Old 12-08-2014, 10:25 PM

Liked: 12
I've heard the 906 but I have not heard the other speakers you've mentioned. I really like the way the 906 sounded. The bass was surprisingly powerful and the mid-range was nicely detailed. However, it seems like everyone raves about the LS50 and gets them no matter what else is being considered at that price. I'd keep looking around to see if you can have a listen to the Aria 906 before making the decision.[/QUOTE]

This is the same for me, I have heard the Aria, and was impressed, to say the least, I just wondered how they compared to similar brands. I have a big room, so I don't think the KEF's will work out for me.
post #6608 of 6617 Old 12-08-2014, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I would personally not run LS50s for HT if you have a mid/large room. However, they are amazing for 2ch music, especially nearfield.
post #6609 of 6617 Old 12-09-2014, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwell88 View Post
Start with post #6585 in this thread and read a few posts.

1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Emotiva XDA-2 > Emotiva Control Freak > Crown XLS2000 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs
2: Computer > Parasound Zdac > Emotiva Control Freak > Acurus A150 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub
post #6610 of 6617 Old 12-12-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Hello everyone.

I'm wondering if I could get some recommendations on amplification on 1028be.

I'm currently using an Oppo-105d as processor, running into a Schiit Valhalla preamp, then to a UPA-200 by Emotiva.

It sounds good, not great, and after having a 4" Fostex with a little DSP added outclass my 1028's with regards to vocals and air, I'm ready to put a little more work into them.

The best way I can think to describe the sound is somewhat flat...back row of the club sometimes. I had a SL2000A in the chain which I removed to add to the Fostex for the bed room and I feel like I lost a lot their.

Thank you!
- Chris
I'd play with your room first. Treatment and speaker placement and toe in can do allot. Not sure about that $200 power amp driving $8000 speakers that will can drop down to 2.9 ohms...

My Band: Scotch on Sunday
post #6611 of 6617 Old 12-12-2014, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Auditioned the Chrous 826w, Arias 936 and 1028Be the other day.

Wish you could mix the Chrous and Arias together. The Arias highs were less fatiguing while the midrange from the Chrous sounded better to me.

The 1028Be were in another league. But int he end I went with Dynaudio Focus. If I ever switch I will get the Be and may get the bookshelves in the near future for my a smaller room.
post #6612 of 6617 Old 12-12-2014, 03:15 PM

Liked: 0
Recently I had an opportunity to try 3 Integrated Amplifiers with my 1028be2's. First was a Hegal 80 which didn't cut it. Next was an NAD M3 which improved things dramatically in the bass. Then I tried a Simaudio 700i which improved things tremendously in air, focus and refinement.

These speakers are easy to drive with almost any amp that's very clean, has sufficient power for the type music being played and the room size. Each step up the ladder can be heard clearly. Room setup is crucial as is some sort of isolation system for the speakers/floors. I'm using Stillpoint Ultra SS with spikes thru the carpet.
The Stillpoints provided a major improvement over the small Focal spikes that were included.
post #6613 of 6617 Old 12-15-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuraDude View Post
Recently I had an opportunity to try 3 Integrated Amplifiers with my 1028be2's. First was a Hegal 80 which didn't cut it. Next was an NAD M3 which improved things dramatically in the bass. Then I tried a Simaudio 700i which improved things tremendously in air, focus and refinement.

These speakers are easy to drive with almost any amp that's very clean, has sufficient power for the type music being played and the room size. Each step up the ladder can be heard clearly. Room setup is crucial as is some sort of isolation system for the speakers/floors. I'm using Stillpoint Ultra SS with spikes thru the carpet.
The Stillpoints provided a major improvement over the small Focal spikes that were included.
Funny you mention that. My dealer just had a couple Pelican cases of Stillpoint isolation items last weekend that I have never seen before.

I've borrowed a Devialet 120 for a few weeks. I'm listening with SAM on my 1028 Be and so far the bass is NUTS... like I'm-going-to-be-evicted-nuts. I've only had it for a few days so I'm not certain of drawing a conclusion yet. I'll share more thoughts after a week or so.
Tank_PD likes this.
post #6614 of 6617 Old 12-16-2014, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuraDude View Post

Thats a great review!! Thank you for the insight. I'll have to look into those as well.
post #6615 of 6617 Old Today, 07:23 AM

Hi all!

I inquired about the Focal Aria 906/926 and the dealer also offered me a sale price on a (new)Focal 836V and a Focal Profile 928 demo unit.

The 928 was being offered to me at a cheaper price than the 836V, maybe because it's been on demo for quite a long time, more than a year/2/3 years maybe? I'm struggling to find reviews on the 928, anyone here that have experience with this focal?

Amp is roksan kandy k2 int amp.

I'd love to have an electra 1008be but is still out of my price range, I've heard some utopia BE's in a friends car, they were awesome! *sigh*
Anyone ever heard the aria 906 vs a Kef R300? I've just listened to the Kef and this is currently my "benchmark" for a bookshelf speaker in this price range.

Will pair up with an SVS SB-2000 no matter what I get.

Thanks!
post #6616 of 6617 Old Today, 01:24 PM

This past Summer when I was shopping speakers B&W804 or Focal the 1028be2 was pretty expensive but the Dealer told me they made a few pairs of plain Black or Brown colors that were not listed on their website.

The wood was much less polished than their standard finishes but was around $1000 cheaper. I got the black finish. It's not piano lacquer, but it's nice anyway. Everything else is similar inside.
Also, they've recently changed the base slightly by using bolts instead of wood screws to secure the base to the cabinet. No change in the sound but it's sturdier.
I've had some minor problems with my base using spikes before I got Stillpoints. Walking the speakers on spikes loosens the metal insert in the MDF base.

These speaker are pretty awesome. They've improved with every small upgrade I've made from the source to the speaker terminals. If something isn't exactly right, you'll hear it. Tweaking and experimenting with placement is quite rewarding and fun.
Mine are 7 months old and I'm still squeezing better sound from them.
post #6617 of 6617 Old Today, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodust View Post
Hi all!

I inquired about the Focal Aria 906/926 and the dealer also offered me a sale price on a (new)Focal 836V and a Focal Profile 928 demo unit.

The 928 was being offered to me at a cheaper price than the 836V, maybe because it's been on demo for quite a long time, more than a year/2/3 years maybe? I'm struggling to find reviews on the 928, anyone here that have experience with this focal?
The 900 Profile line was discontinued prior to the 800W line being offered. The Profile series was no slacker and IMO sounds very nice. Listen to them and see if you like them. If you do, go for it.
I remember reading a review comparing the 900 Profile series to the 900 Electra series and it was very favorable for the Profile series. ... found it, or one similar: http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/spe...20/204060.html
Reply Speakers

Tags
Focal , Focal 705v , Focal Chorus 836 V , Focal 716v Floor Standing Speakers , Focal 706v Chorus Loudspeakers , Focal Chorus 726v Floorstanding Speaker Light Walnut
Gear in this thread - 726v by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page