Focal - JM Lab Owner's Thread - Page 223 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #6661 of 6669 Old 01-21-2015, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius View Post
Bass and treble tone controls are always an option. I've noticed that by crossing over my Chorus 826Vs around 65 Hz and up they are very good sounding speakers. If you have an AVR and can use its built in crossover settings that would work too. Some AVRs allow a high pass as low as 60 Hz, which I would think would work well.

Also, some preamps (Parasound Halo P5 & Emotiva XSP-1, for example) have bass management. I can't help but think this is the best way to squeeze the most out of one's system. The downside is it represents just one more piece of gear to purchase. The Crown XLS Drivecore amps I use for mains and subs have adjustable built in crossover settings, which work splendidly.

I have a pair of Chorus 706Vs sitting on my desk as computer speakers. I've cut some small eggcarton foam rubber, rolled it up and put it in the ports to minimize that first reflection off of the desk. It seems to work. I haven't tried it on the 826V towers in my living room though.
Thanks. Yes, i have an Arcam AVR 750 so it has settings to reduce / increase the Bass/Treeble in DBs.

Yeah, the crossover would redirect the low frequencies to the sub, and allow better control of the bass output ...but my idea is to use the towers in stereo and only use a subwoffer to Home Theatre 5.1. My room is just 270ft2 (25m2) and i wonder if i will get too much bass with the 936...but also wonder if the 926 will go deep enough for music in stereo 2.0.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6662 of 6669 Old 01-21-2015, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPoser View Post
Doctor Morbius,

Not sure your exact location in Indy and how far you are from Chicago, but Indy is about two hours from http://www.hansonav.com/ in Dayton, OH. (You're over an hour closer than I am...)

Hanson Audio has always been very helpful to me when I have visited. They carry Simaudio Moon which is the best I have auditioned on a set of Electra's, IMO... But Moon is pricey!
They were trying hard to get me to take Moon gear home with ME, they said they would put a hold on my credit card. I finally declined because I knew if I went home with it, it wouldn't be going back to the store...lol
(A few years back, Hanson Audio had a theater set up with Focal Utopia series and I think Bryson electronics, but I actually liked the sound of the Electras with Moon electronics better.)

If you drive to Dayton and want to check out other speakers and electronics, I would also suggest http://audioetc.tv/ . They have a lot on display and many different rooms. The down side, their employees have always seemed lazy and not very friendly when I have visited which made me not want to buy anything from them...lol (Maybe you would have better luck.)

If you are into DIY, you may want to visit https://www.parts-express.com/ which is just a few miles south on I-75 from Dayton.
Thanks Super! My next pair of speakers may be DIY. There are a couple of designs by Jeff Bagby that have me intrigued. One is the Solstice and the other is the Adelphos. Being a single guy and not having to contend with any WAF I can leave them in raw MDF too.
SuperPoser likes this.

1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Parasound Zdac > Denon AVR-5700 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP 2000 | (2) AIY 15" Subs
2: Computer >
Schiit Übered Bifrost > Emotiva Control Freak > Crown XLS 1500 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub
post #6663 of 6669 Old 01-21-2015, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_P View Post
...but also wonder if the 926 will go deep enough for music in stereo 2.0.
If you listen to acoustic music, such as classical and jazz, the answer is yes. If you listen to electronic, rap and processed music, the answer is not so much.

After having farted around with this myself in the past few weeks, my take is let the speakers play the music and let the sub(s) do their job and carry the low end. In addition to that, the best place in your room for mid and high frequencies may not be the ideal position for low frequency due to room modes.

1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Parasound Zdac > Denon AVR-5700 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP 2000 | (2) AIY 15" Subs
2: Computer >
Schiit Übered Bifrost > Emotiva Control Freak > Crown XLS 1500 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub
post #6664 of 6669 Old 01-21-2015, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Thanks Super! My next pair of speakers may be DIY. There are a couple of designs by Jeff Bagby that have me intrigued. One is the Solstice and the other is the Adelphos. Being a single guy and not having to contend with any WAF I can leave them in raw MDF too.
You're welcome.
Goodluck and have fun with your speaker build(s) if you go that route. ;o)
post #6665 of 6669 Old 01-21-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
If you listen to acoustic music, such as classical and jazz, the answer is yes. If you listen to electronic, rap and processed music, the answer is not so much.

After having farted around with this myself in the past few weeks, my take is let the speakers play the music and let the sub(s) do their job and carry the low end. In addition to that, the best place in your room for mid and high frequencies may not be the ideal position for low frequency due to room modes.
I listen to many kinds of music...alternative / indie, folk, Rock, Pop, acustic, folk, some electronic, world, jazz, Contemporaty Classic.

I agree the subwoofer is better to handle low frequencies...buy my AVR has a Stereo Direct that gives slighty better results in stereo, but doesn't allow any EQ or subwoofer. To use the subwoofer i have to use the Stereo mode, and not the Stereo Direct.
post #6666 of 6669 Old 01-21-2015, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Focal - JM Lab Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_P View Post
I listen to many kinds of music...alternative / indie, folk, Rock, Pop, acustic, folk, some electronic, world, jazz, Contemporaty Classic.

I agree the subwoofer is better to handle low frequencies...buy my AVR has a Stereo Direct that gives slighty better results in stereo, but doesn't allow any EQ or subwoofer. To use the subwoofer i have to use the Stereo mode, and not the Stereo Direct.

Which Avr do you use? If it's a denon, the DeRemote app will let you toggle the sub on/off regardless of the sound mode you're in. Nevermind, think you're using a sony. I'm out of ideas.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]

Last edited by ambesolman; 01-21-2015 at 03:23 PM.
post #6667 of 6669 Old 01-21-2015, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPoser View Post
Doctor Morbius,

Not sure your exact location in Indy and how far you are from Chicago, but Indy is about two hours from http://www.hansonav.com/ in Dayton, OH. (You're over an hour closer than I am...)

Hanson Audio has always been very helpful to me when I have visited. They carry Simaudio Moon which is the best I have auditioned on a set of Electra's, IMO... But Moon is pricey!
They were trying hard to get me to take Moon gear home with ME, they said they would put a hold on my credit card. I finally declined because I knew if I went home with it, it wouldn't be going back to the store...lol
(A few years back, Hanson Audio had a theater set up with Focal Utopia series and I think Bryson electronics, but I actually liked the sound of the Electras with Moon electronics better.)

If you drive to Dayton and want to check out other speakers and electronics, I would also suggest http://audioetc.tv/ . They have a lot on display and many different rooms. The down side, their employees have always seemed lazy and not very friendly when I have visited which made me not want to buy anything from them...lol (Maybe you would have better luck.)

If you are into DIY, you may want to visit https://www.parts-express.com/ which is just a few miles south on I-75 from Dayton.
wow...for someone so far away, you really nailed the audio scene here in dayton.

hanson audio has been my store of choice for about 5 yrs now (bought all my focal setup there)...after nearly 20 yrs at audio etc.

for a city of dayton's size the options are many, with cincy and columbus just a short drive away.
SuperPoser likes this.
post #6668 of 6669 Old 01-22-2015, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by skgolfer View Post
FYI, I noticed that there is a pair of Focal 1028BEs on Audiogon used listed at $5699 but as they are used I think there must be room for negotiation. You may want to look into those. Awesome speakers.
I would say this is too high price at the moment for the used speakers. I am not sure why the retail prices in the US were not corrected based on the currency exchange rate US dollar vs Euro.
For example one can buy a pair of black lacquer 1028 BE for 6000 EUR as of today or 5000 EUR without the tax (Austria). That's $6594 or $5795 without the tax for a pair of brand new Focals.
scirica and SuperPoser like this.
post #6669 of 6669 Old Today, 03:20 PM

Well just ordered the Aria 936 and the center cc900...

In a month or so...i will expand this to a 5 speaker system...i will probably get the Arias 905 instead of the 906 (that i think are too big for surround duties...)

Anyone has any opinions on the Arias 905/906 used as surround speakers ?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Focal , Focal 705v , Focal Chorus 836 V , Focal 716v Floor Standing Speakers , Focal 706v Chorus Loudspeakers , Focal Chorus 726v Floorstanding Speaker Light Walnut
Gear in this thread - 726v by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page