Focal - JM Lab Owner's Thread - Page 229 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #6841 of 6870 Old 04-14-2015, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Focal 1038 are beauties. I just took on the line and kept a pair for myself.. seriously in love with these speakers. I've always appreciated them but having your own pair and spending a lot of time with them is a real experience. Amazing speaker..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6842 of 6870 Old 04-14-2015, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey Focal owners I have a curious question for you. I have an all Definitive technology system, have had this brand of speaker for well over 10 years, and love them. I have always said if I were to go in another direction at some point I'd go with Focal speakers. I just like that they do everything in-house including building the drivers. What in your opinion would I notice first, or most going from Def Techs to Focal in a home theater 5.1 system? I'd be looking at something like the Chorus 716 for mains. What could you tell me about these speakers sound wise? Thanks for any help.
post #6843 of 6870 Old 04-14-2015, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by pftechnician View Post
Hey Focal owners I have a curious question for you. I have an all Definitive technology system, have had this brand of speaker for well over 10 years, and love them. I have always said if I were to go in another direction at some point I'd go with Focal speakers. I just like that they do everything in-house including building the drivers. What in your opinion would I notice first, or most going from Def Techs to Focal in a home theater 5.1 system? I'd be looking at something like the Chorus 716 for mains. What could you tell me about these speakers sound wise? Thanks for any help.

i owned bp-7001's for about 7yrs (bp-20's before that)....i now have focal 836w's. i'd say the midrange is the most noticeable difference. the def tech's were a tad on the thin side, whereas the 836's mids are like butter...they just sound so rich, so right.

the focal's have better low mids (or upper bass) as well...more detail, with better all-around depth and separation.

the def tech's had more "slam" and a much wider presentation...the 836's are no slouches in these categories by any means...but the 7001's edged them by a considerable margin.

in the end...you's makes yer choices and you's takes yer picks...

at the zenith of his nadir...
post #6844 of 6870 Old 04-14-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandluke View Post
i owned bp-7001's for about 7yrs (bp-20's before that)....i now have focal 836w's. i'd say the midrange is the most noticeable difference. the def tech's were a tad on the thin side, whereas the 836's mids are like butter...they just sound so rich, so right.

the focal's have better low mids (or upper bass) as well...more detail, with better all-around depth and separation.

the def tech's had more "slam" and a much wider presentation...the 836's are no slouches in these categories by any means...but the 7001's edged them by a considerable margin.

in the end...you's makes yer choices and you's takes yer picks...
Huh wow I'm glad someone here had direct knowledge on both brands. Lucky to have found you. I actually am surprised its not a total blowout. I mean I take it as you're not saying its a total blowout in favor of Focal? I am a different kind of Def Tech owner and fan because I have an all Direct radiating or forward firing Def Tech system. I have Mythos ones for mains, Studio Monitor SM55's for surrounds, CLR 2000 for center and a Supercube II sub. Thanks big time for the comparison. Any knowledge of the Chorus 716 in particular? I keep hearing how amazing Focal tweeters are. I mean the beryllium is the most amazing, but most expensive and not found in the Chorus 716. Even so I hear the tweeters in the other lines are great too, true?
post #6845 of 6870 Old 04-14-2015, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Huh wow I'm glad someone here had direct knowledge on both brands. Lucky to have found you. I actually am surprised its not a total blowout. I mean I take it as you're not saying its a total blowout in favor of Focal? I am a different kind of Def Tech owner and fan because I have an all Direct radiating or forward firing Def Tech system. I have Mythos ones for mains, Studio Monitor SM55's for surrounds, CLR 2000 for center and a Supercube II sub. Thanks big time for the comparison. Any knowledge of the Chorus 716 in particular? I keep hearing how amazing Focal tweeters are. I mean the beryllium is the most amazing, but most expensive and not found in the Chorus 716. Even so I hear the tweeters in the other lines are great too, true?
well, those were my opinions on what you would notice FIRST...at least what i noticed.

focal's inverted dome is a very nice tweeter, but the be's are in another class.

in my deftech days i also had a clr3000 center, sm450 rears, a pair of supercube reference subs, a pair of trinity subs and a pair of bpvx surrounds...all gone save for the bpvx's and the trinitys, which i still use in my current rig.

i am very satisfied with the changes i've made...what are YOU looking for?

at the zenith of his nadir...
post #6846 of 6870 Old 04-14-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandluke View Post
well, those were my opinions on what you would notice FIRST...at least what i noticed.

focal's inverted dome is a very nice tweeter, but the be's are in another class.

in my deftech days i also had a clr3000 center, sm450 rears, a pair of supercube reference subs, a pair of trinity subs and a pair of bpvx surrounds...all gone save for the bpvx's and the trinitys, which i still use in my current rig.

i am very satisfied with the changes i've made...what are YOU looking for?
Oh more dreaming if I ever get tired of the sound of Def Techs. I've just been reading about Focal and how the do everything in-house. That caught my attention, I like that. Its gotta give you more control over the final sound of the speakers.
post #6847 of 6870 Old 04-15-2015, 02:52 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
The one thing that stands out with Focal Speakers is the midrange. I havent listened to that many brands of speakers but let me tell you i'm still getting goosebumps every time i'm listening to music or movies. The mids are open not harsh. vocals are really something, Focals give me such a brod soundstage it realler feels like whom ever is singing is in the room. I know it sounds cliché but it's true. I think they are the closest thing to electrostatics but dont have the inconveniences (poor bass). Bass on the Focals are very precise and punchy, not the low muddy type. I'm just on the entry level of Focals (816V) and i cant say enough how good these babies are.

Focal Chorus 816v, CC800, 807V, SVS PB2000, OPPO 103D, MRX 500, Cambridge Audio stream magic 6 v2.
post #6848 of 6870 Old 04-15-2015, 03:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francky View Post
The one thing that stands out with Focal Speakers is the midrange. I havent listened to that many brands of speakers but let me tell you i'm still getting goosebumps every time i'm listening to music or movies.
The inverted dome tweeter is something to be admired as well. Lively and detailed without being harsh or bright.

NAD M15 /NAD M25 / PSB STRATUS GOLD / PSB STRATUS 6C /DENON AVR 3300/CARVER TFM 45/35 - ANTHEM MCA3 / NAD T163
IMAGE DYNAMICS / INFINITY RS3 / POLK MONITOR 10/ALTEC 501 / INTEGRA 50.3/PARADIGM DSP 3400 / GOLDENEAR AON3 / HK AVI 200

An Observer of many philosophies, a slave to none.
post #6849 of 6870 Old 04-15-2015, 03:45 AM

Awesome info guys, I'm now drooling. The inverted dome tweeter sounds extremely interesting. You think its a huge step down to the 716 from the 816?
post #6850 of 6870 Old 04-15-2015, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 130
The tweeter on the Aria 948's is pretty special. When my 1038be's arrive for a demo later this month I'm sure I'll find it hard to go back to the Aria's even though they are very nice!

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). "Silenzio" EA-2 Media Server (pc-based). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #6851 of 6870 Old 04-15-2015, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
I had the pro400's(powered dual 6 1/2 inch woofers), a C/L/R 1000. I also had a def tech sub and polk surrounds. Now I first upgraded to the 927's and then the 1027's. I owned the def techs for at least 8 years. To be honest, I have not heard the Chorus line. But from everything I have read, they seem like very good speakers. The sound quality was an upgrade for sure when I went from the pro400's to the 927's. My guess would be that the Chorus would also be a nice improvement. In my system, vocals became clearer, music sounded more realistic and it just had an overall sound quality that the def techs couldn't match. Highs and mid range are much better. Now don't forget, I have the 1027be speakers, but I think the Chorus speakers would also be upgrade as well. Hopefully you can listen to them before you make your choice. But I will tell you that I did not. I bought my 927's without hearing them because the other Focal speakers I heard were so damn good I just went with my gut. I am glad I did.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #6852 of 6870 Old 04-15-2015, 03:14 PM

Thanks Mike Duke, appreciate the feedback. Focal's sound like fantastic speakers. I'd like to hear them, but I don't want to waste salespeople's time. Would it be really stupid to replace just the main speakers leaving the rest of the system intact? Or will the system sound completely out of whack? Thanks again for the feedback.
post #6853 of 6870 Old 04-15-2015, 04:00 PM

What do you Focal veteran owners think about this system, and the store? Is it reputable? This system is perfect for me because I have towers for mains, and bookshelves for surrounds I just mounted on the wall. I could just put those bookshelf speakers on the mounts and be done. How are those bookshelf speakers, anyone know? Link is here http://www.accessories4less.com/make...e-black/1.html
post #6854 of 6870 Old 04-15-2015, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
What do you Focal veteran owners think about this system, and the store? Is it reputable? This system is perfect for me because I have towers for mains, and bookshelves for surrounds I just mounted on the wall. I could just put those bookshelf speakers on the mounts and be done. How are those bookshelf speakers, anyone know? Link is here http://www.accessories4less.com/make...e-black/1.html
I have that set up except the 705v in place of the 706v. I have them crossed over at 80hz with two SI HT18s in sealed cabinets. I love the way everything sounds with music and movies.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find many comparable 5.0 packages in that price range. I got mine from accessories4less also. I believe I had them within 4 days of ordering.
post #6855 of 6870 Old 04-16-2015, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwhammie View Post
I have that set up except the 705v in place of the 706v. I have them crossed over at 80hz with two SI HT18s in sealed cabinets. I love the way everything sounds with music and movies.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find many comparable 5.0 packages in that price range. I got mine from accessories4less also. I believe I had them within 4 days of ordering.
Thanks for the info, I'm glad I have direct conformation that this store is OK. I just can't see how they sell these speakers at that price. I guess Focal honors the warranty from that store. Any other info on them or this speaker system?
post #6856 of 6870 Old 04-16-2015, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Mike Duke, appreciate the feedback. Focal's sound like fantastic speakers. I'd like to hear them, but I don't want to waste salespeople's time. Would it be really stupid to replace just the main speakers leaving the rest of the system intact? Or will the system sound completely out of whack? Thanks again for the feedback.
First of all, you are not wasting their time. They need you(especially of you like your current system). You really want to have every thing the same company, Left, center, right all should be from the same company and hopefully from the same line. This is because you want want the sound to be seamless across the front of the screen. Meaning, you won't hear a difference when action pans across the front of screen. Trust me, it makes a difference. Having a Focal center with a Be tweeter was a big change from my old CC-901 center. Having the same company means that the crossovers will be the same, the drivers and driver material will all be the same. It really does make a difference. Now, one place where you may be able to let it slide for a while are the surrounds. For years I had Polk surrounds. They did the job well. But I was really surprised how much better my system sounded when I got Focal speakers for my surrounds(not even Electra but Chorus speakers). The surround sound in my system is really good in my setup now. So I recommend at least matching up the front three speakers to start and maybe to the surrounds later if it's a money thing. And again, if it's a salesman worth their salt, you won't be wasting their time. They are there to help you. They NEED you in the store.

My System
post #6857 of 6870 Old 04-16-2015, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
With regards to that setup, I think it would be great. I also have the 705v for my surrounds because of space requirements and they are really good. All you need is a sub and you will have a very impressive HT system. I am not sure how much you wanted to spend but probably HSU, SVS, and Rythmik are good places to start. They are all online companies so the prices will be good but you can't hear them ahead of time. But they all have great reputations. Did you have any idea for a sub?

My System
post #6858 of 6870 Old 04-16-2015, 04:57 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 328
^ Agreed that you're not wasting the salesperson's time, as long as you don't go into the store with the intention of auditioning the speakers in the store and then hunting for a better price online.

@pftechnician : Regarding accessories4less, I've never dealt with them, but the feedback that I've seen on them seems to be pretty good. I know quite a few Denon AVR owners have purchased new and refurb products from them and have been happy with the customer service they've received when needed (such as a refurb that was dead on arrival). I believe their specialty is in selling refurbs and discontinued items along with some current items. The steep discount just gives you an idea of how much markup there is on some products. If you're unsure about warranty coverage, contact Focal (Audio Plus Services is the North American distributor) to make sure you're covered before buying.
post #6859 of 6870 Old 04-16-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
With regards to that setup, I think it would be great. I also have the 705v for my surrounds because of space requirements and they are really good. All you need is a sub and you will have a very impressive HT system. I am not sure how much you wanted to spend but probably HSU, SVS, and Rythmik are good places to start. They are all online companies so the prices will be good but you can't hear them ahead of time. But they all have great reputations. Did you have any idea for a sub?
Thanks for the info, appreciate very much. I have a Definitive Tech. Supercube II, that might do the job for the time being?
post #6860 of 6870 Old 04-27-2015, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info, appreciate very much. I have a Definitive Tech. Supercube II, that might do the job for the time being?
Yep, the Supercube II will do but you will probably want to change later on. Not that it's a bad sub at all, it's just that Def Tech is known for inflating their numbers and one of those other are just more options. If you like the Def Tech then keep it. But if you get that itch, the one of the others I recommended would probably be very nice options

My System
post #6861 of 6870 Old 04-27-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
Yep, the Supercube II will do but you will probably want to change later on. Not that it's a bad sub at all, it's just that Def Tech is known for inflating their numbers and one of those other are just more options. If you like the Def Tech then keep it. But if you get that itch, the one of the others I recommended would probably be very nice options
Thanks for the info. I would probably change out the sub down the line to a SVS sub that I have never seen a bad review of.
post #6862 of 6870 Old 04-28-2015, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I would probably change out the sub down the line to a SVS sub that I have never seen a bad review of.
Yep. SVS seems to be a very good choice. They have many offerings at a lot of different price points. Having an all Chorus system will be very good and punch well above it's weight. Add in the SVS and you will be totally set. But the Def Tech will blend with them no problem. Make sure you post some feed back when you get the Chorus setup.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 04-28-2015 at 08:46 AM.
post #6863 of 6870 Old 04-29-2015, 03:42 PM

If I could sell my Def Tech BP7002's I'd buy that Focal system in a heartbeat. I just don't know how or where to sell them at.
post #6864 of 6870 Old 04-29-2015, 05:42 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
If I could sell my Def Tech BP7002's I'd buy that Focal system in a heartbeat. I just don't know how or where to sell them at.
eBay, Audiogon, and AVS Classifieds are all options. Hopefully you kept the original boxes...
post #6865 of 6870 Old 04-29-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
eBay, Audiogon, and AVS Classifieds are all options. Hopefully you kept the original boxes...
No of course not, I never think ahead.
post #6866 of 6870 Old 04-30-2015, 04:05 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
No of course not, I never think ahead.
That definitely complicates things as it limits you to local sales or potentially expensive custom packaging. Some manufacturers have replacement boxes and packing materials available for somewhat reasonable costs, so you could try contacting Def Tech.
post #6867 of 6870 Old 05-01-2015, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
That definitely complicates things as it limits you to local sales or potentially expensive custom packaging. Some manufacturers have replacement boxes and packing materials available for somewhat reasonable costs, so you could try contacting Def Tech.
Yeah I'd like to find someone local, and deliver them directly to them. That would be my goal.
post #6868 of 6870 Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 130
It's been a fun week as Casa Cirica. My dealer dropped off a pair off Electra 1038be's for a one-month in-home demo. My regular speakers are the Aria 948's.

I haven't spent a lot of time with them yet, but the initial upgrade in mids and highs was obvious and a real eye-opener. Bass is articulate, but not quite as dynamic as some other speakers I've listened to lately. No lightweight though.

If I end up buying a pair, I'll be buying a new amp dedicated to the 1038's, likely a McIntosh MC452 or Bryston 4bsst2.
dedobot likes this.
post #6869 of 6870 Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone here own the Focal 706V and can compare their sound to the following speakers?

NHT SuperOne 2.1
Wave Crest HVL-1
Ascend CBM-170SE, 340SE
Wharfedale Diamond 8,9, or 10 series
Infinity Reference R152/162
Infinity Primus P153/163

This is for a 2.1 music system, HT is not a part of the equation.

Just curious about your impressions.

I heard the 806s years ago at a Tweeter store before they went out of business, and I liked them.

Seeing them on sale for $400 shipped at the moment.

My only concern about these is whether they'd be harsh or bright in an open plan apartment that is about 80% hardwood and 20% ceramic floors. I listen to jazz most of the time, other times it's classical or vocal/acoustic rock and alternative/folk ... so yeah, clear natural mids are my top priority.
post #6870 of 6870 Old Today, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey All,

I am a proud owner of a Balanced Audio Technology VK-3000se integrated amplifier and I recently auditioned the Aria 948s with them and I found it awesome, and hence I might be acquiring a pair but then know Im looking at the 1038s. 1028 is out because I prefer larger speaker as I have many damping materials like clothes curtains and couch that really eat the bass up before it even gets to me...

Any opinions? Source is computer or Rega rp1 into a schiit Gungnir and Lehmann black cube linear respectively. After this wld be a TT upgrade to michell or clearaudio
Reply Speakers

Tags
Focal , Focal 705v , Focal 706v Chorus Loudspeakers , Focal 716v Floor Standing Speakers , focal aria , Focal Chorus 726v Floorstanding Speaker Light Walnut , Focal Chorus 836 V , focal electra
Gear in this thread - 726v by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page