Focal - JM Lab Owner's Thread - Page 233 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #6961 of 6972 Old 07-22-2015, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hey Steve

Cool writeup on your impressions on the Sopras!

I agree with positioning being key, and also pairing the right equipment.
Funny you are mentioning Mcintosh as being a lesser match for Focal, as I'm considering going that route with Tube pre/SS amp

I have heard good stories about Mcintosh and Focal, but will go for some home audition first.

Stillpoints? I'm getting a few ultra mini/ss to play with tomorrow, however I won't put them under the speakers.
Which ones do you have under your speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6962 of 6972 Old 07-22-2015, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I just put Stillpoint Ultras under my Bryston Model T's. Amazing product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). "Silenzio" EA-2 Media Server (pc-based). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #6963 of 6972 Old 07-23-2015, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuraDude View Post
Putting Stillpoints under my speakers made a HUGE difference with the old style base on the 1028be. Makes me wonder what the Sopra would sound like on Stillpoints?

Would you mind sharing a picture or two on how you put Stillpoints under 1028Be2? I use symposium under my 1038Be2 but always wonder how Stillpoints could get it done under Electra floorstanding models. And which Stillpoints do you use?
post #6964 of 6972 Old 07-28-2015, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfrg View Post
Hey Steve

Cool writeup on your impressions on the Sopras!

I agree with positioning being key, and also pairing the right equipment.
Funny you are mentioning Mcintosh as being a lesser match for Focal, as I'm considering going that route with Tube pre/SS amp

I have heard good stories about Mcintosh and Focal, but will go for some home audition first.

Can't comment on the McIntosh Tube stuff because when I listened to the Sopra, they were using a 200wpc. Solid State Integrated Amp, far from the top line Mac gear. Over the years, listening to Mac stuff, both tube and solid state I've noticed a distinct "Mac" sound. Very musical but a little "chesty" and bass heavy for my tastes. You won't go wrong with Mac stuff...it's musical and it lasts forever.

Stillpoints? I'm getting a few ultra mini/ss to play with tomorrow, however I won't put them under the speakers.
Which ones do you have under your speakers?
The Stillpoints are magic for some but not all systems. I'm using the mid-size/price units on my speakers and the small Ultra Mini's under my amp. The payback was tremendous with the speakers, and enough to make me buy the Ultra Mini's for the amp but the biggest improvement was on the speakers. I'd say 80% on the speakers, 20% on the amp. They say the effect is cumulative, but only if your budget allows. These things are really pricey so take them up on their free 30 day trial period. I bought the first pair for the speakers on the spot when I heard what they did in my room, the others set took me a few weeks to decide that I would keep them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
Would you mind sharing a picture or two on how you put Stillpoints under 1028Be2? I use symposium under my 1038Be2 but always wonder how Stillpoints could get it done under Electra floorstanding models. And which Stillpoints do you use?
Here's a picture of the Focal 1028's in my room. The picture was taken from my seated position. The other picture is the Stillpoints under the speakers. Keep in mind, I've got very thick carpet so I had to remove the cap on the Stillpoints then added their spikes which are extra. The spikes don't touch the wood floor under the speakers, but they've compressed the carpet and padding to the point where I was able to level the speakers and have them sit very stable on the floor. I was told by my dealer and someone from Stillpoints that the spikes don't need to touch the wood floor below thick carpeting...the point of using them on carpet is to get a stable platform that doesn't slide around...just get them level and stable. My old thinking coming from Mapleshade Products where everything has to be rock stable, spikes touching the subfloor, no rocking etc., was really hard to break. Getting 4 spike points stable is very, very difficult and has caused me lots of grief in the past. The Stillpoints are very easy to get level...just twist them in whatever direction you need...within reason! They are designed to be barely loose from the speaker, not tight and you'll have about ¼' or so to play with the adjustment on each one. It worked fine for my carpet and subfloor.
I think you'll see enough detail in the picture to get a feel for how I've used them. If not....send me a PM and I'll go into more detail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_450568609.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	856338   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_459807446.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	856346  

Last edited by AcuraDude; 07-28-2015 at 02:07 PM.
post #6965 of 6972 Old 07-28-2015, 03:28 PM

Aren't those the Ultra 5 still points under the speakers? The ultra 5's are quite expensive sadly.

Im playing around with my still points (not bought any for speakers yet) and I'm still testing.
They definitely change the sound of the system, but its not a one-fits-all solution.

One have to play around with them for sure.
post #6966 of 6972 Old 07-28-2015, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Put Stillpoint Ultra SS under my new Bryston Model T's. Amazing product. $249 x 8 adds up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). "Silenzio" EA-2 Media Server (pc-based). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #6967 of 6972 Old 07-29-2015, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The Stillpoints under my speakers are the Ultra SS. $250 ea. They're magic in my room.

Try them, there is a 30 day trial from their dealers or Music Direct. You have nothing to risk if they don't perform in your room.
post #6968 of 6972 Old 07-30-2015, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Focal - JM Lab Owner's Thread

Thanks for the pictures, AcuraDude. I have hardwood floor and still not sure how stable it would be with Stillpoints under my 1038Be.

Last edited by kzhtoo; 07-30-2015 at 12:12 PM.
post #6969 of 6972 Old 07-30-2015, 12:42 PM

Im sure it will be plenty stable, you have to get adapters (they make a whole lot of them in all sizes) that replaces your spikes and screws into the stillpoints.
This applies for the Ultra SS & 5 only.

Expensive for sure, but people keep raving about them.
Im still dabbling with mine under some of my gear.
post #6970 of 6972 Old 07-30-2015, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 36
silly question. I was walking by my focal 948 during some nice loud music and put the back of my hand on the rear of the speaker(I know so naughty). I felt all sorts of vibration/resonance. So basically I felt up all my speakers including subs and this resonance was only felt on the back of my 948's. all other speakers were dead. Could this be due to front port? or any ideas? front and sides all dead on 948...just why the backs giving me some vibration...naughty, naughty.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc800v, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Velodyne HGS 12, VA 1512
post #6971 of 6972 Unread Today, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
silly question. I was walking by my focal 948 during some nice loud music and put the back of my hand on the rear of the speaker(I know so naughty). I felt all sorts of vibration/resonance. So basically I felt up all my speakers including subs and this resonance was only felt on the back of my 948's. all other speakers were dead. Could this be due to front port? or any ideas? front and sides all dead on 948...just why the backs giving me some vibration...naughty, naughty.
I'm not really understanding what you're saying or implying. First off, touching the back of your speakers isn't bad in any way. So I'm assuming I'm misunderstanding.

Also, what do you mean by resonance? It's vibrating like the back panel is loose or what?
post #6972 of 6972 Unread Today, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contuzzi View Post
I'm not really understanding what you're saying or implying. First off, touching the back of your speakers isn't bad in any way. So I'm assuming I'm misunderstanding.

Also, what do you mean by resonance? It's vibrating like the back panel is loose or what?
I was just trying to add humor(maybe alcohol involved) comparing my speakers to maybe a woman(yea I was drunk). I was just surprised to feel the back of the speakers had sensation vs no sensation from front or sides. Its no biggie. I love the way they sound. maybe the front port causes this??

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc800v, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Velodyne HGS 12, VA 1512
Reply Speakers

Tags
Focal , Focal 705v , Focal 706v Chorus Loudspeakers , Focal 716v Floor Standing Speakers , focal aria , focal aria 936 , Focal Chorus 726v Floorstanding Speaker Light Walnut , Focal Chorus 836 V , focal electra
Gear in this thread - 726v by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page