Focal - JM Lab Owner's Thread - Page 235 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 124Likes

Old 11-20-2015, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
Thanks for the pictures, AcuraDude. I have hardwood floor and still not sure how stable it would be with Stillpoints under my 1038Be.

I have Stillpoint Ultra SS under my Bryston Model T's on a hardwood floor. I put small felt pads on the flat portion of the cap. They are very stable and the felt protects the floor. Highly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. PS Audio DirectStream DAC. Bryston Model T, Mini-T Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). "Silenzio" EA-2 Media Server (pc-based). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2015, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

Sorry if I am trying your patience with a noob questions - I have tried elsewhere on this board, but thought maybe the Focal owners might give me better advice. I am in the process of upgrading/future-proofing (is there such a thing?!) my A/V system. My first step was to get a pair of Focal Aria 926, which were miraculously on sale for $2k at a local store. I would like to continue the upgrade but I want to spend my money wisely. Next I would like to buy either a dedicated amp to drive the Focals when I listen to stereo and also upgrade my receiver, Yamaha RX-V1800, which drives the Focals now, as well as Anthony Gallo speakers for center and surround when in home theater mode (no sub). The rest of my system is a Pioneer BDP-581D for Blu-Ray, Apple TV for streaming, Yamaha CD-changer, and a Yamaha doc for the iPhone. I will also buy the OPPO-103 in the future to replace the CD changer and the Pioneer, so I can have one less box. My main question at this point is - should I buy a dedicated amp, or invest more money and just buy an outstanding receiver? Further details:

a) Music is more important to me than home theater, but ideally I would like both to be great.
b) I live in an apartment building, so I don't listen loud, but not so quite either. I'd say it's important for me to listen at moderate levels. That's where the Focals really shine because of their incredible tweeters.
c) I listen to CDs (no vinyl), though I wouldn't mind a Bluetooth/Wi-Fi receiver to stream lossless files from my Mac. I mostly listen to industrial music, post-punk and other forms of rock. Occasional techno, ambient. Some other formats, too. Basically, my music can be quite demanding and messy. I guess it's easier to say what I don't listen to - classical music, jazz, country, and hip-hop.
d) my budget is moderate. Ideally, I would not want to spend more than $3k.
e) I will be getting an OPPO, like I said.
f) I know that ideally I should audition everything, but we don't live in an ideal world :-)

For now I am looking at NAD C375BEE, which can bet gotten refurbished for $1k. Seems like it has more than enough power. It's an analog amp, but given that I will be getting the OPPO, I will let OPPO's DACs drive the signal. Questions:

a) The biggest question - should I get a dedicated amp + receiver or just a good receiver? What stops me from getting just the receiver is that their THD is not nearly as good as those of a good dedicated amp. But will it really matter to my ears at moderate volumes?
b) Any other alternatives to the NAD given my needs?
c) If you would recommend just the receiver, which one? I'm used to Yamahas, but I am really not opposed to switching. The Yamaha A2040BL looks good, but Marantz SR7009 has also caught my eye.
d) Is the OPPO-103 a good source of sound for CDs? I like the idea of having one box and I am not sure how much of a music performance upgrade a hi-fi CD player will bring.

Well, that was a mouthful, and I hope I was coherent.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I'll try to shed some light for you based on my own experience. My avr is Anthem mrx 500 wich is supposed to be good in stereo music listening based on reviews/critics. I got myself a Bc acoustique ex362d integrated amp after a while for critical music listening. A dedicated amp for music listening is a must in my own experience even at moderate level. I cant give you any advice about Nad, never got to try any of their products. As for the Oppo 103 for cds, that's what i'm using and i cant say that it's good or bad since i'm not using cds that much but if you are looking for a one box solution you would be better off with the Oppo 105. The dac in the 103 isnt that great. I have a stand alone Simaudio Moon 280d dac. One word of advice, dont get hung up on specs only. My integrated amp is rated at "only" 80 watts per channel but i cannot get it past half of its power it is so loud, while my Anthem i can crank easily at 90% of its power. If budget is a constraint i would suggest a good used dedicated amp with home theatre bypass option. Oh and by the way the sale you got wasnt miraculous, Focal Aria serie is on sale worldwide because of a change of color in the wallnut finish. I got the 936s at a very good price. If you want a good deal on an integrated amp with home theatre bypass without breaking the bank there are some very good options: look at Parasound, Bc acoustic (i tried both the ex332 and 362 and they are both fabulous for a very low price). Good luck.

Focal Aria 936, 807V, SVS PB2000, OPPO 103D, MRX 500, Simaudio Moon Neo 280D, BC Acoustique EX362.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedobot View Post
inside Aria 948
MF and HF drivers resides in their own volume/inside box , I wonder why Focal didn't advertising this advantage -it's definitely a plus for the design .
Very,very poor job with the wadding - it was blocked partially the bass ports and no fixed properly. I'm sorry that I didn't take pics of original configuration in the main volume, but it was like in the MF/HF volume - just throwed and stuffed ... like f#$!n turkey . The wadding is cut properly to fit to the walls but someone just throw it inside.
Also I'm not impressed from the build quality of the speaker's box - it's flawless outside but you can see how they're inside from the first pic.
Significant change in the sound after fixing the wadding, significant !
I have the Focal Aria 926 and I think my wadding is also bad. How did you take out your drivers? There is a silver bezel ring around the drivers which hides the screws which I have no idea how to take off. How did you take yours off? I'm worried if I pry them off I will either snap the bezel or scratch the finish.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francky View Post
I'll try to shed some light for you based on my own experience. My avr is Anthem mrx 500 wich is supposed to be good in stereo music listening based on reviews/critics. I got myself a Bc acoustique ex362d integrated amp after a while for critical music listening. A dedicated amp for music listening is a must in my own experience even at moderate level. I cant give you any advice about Nad, never got to try any of their products. As for the Oppo 103 for cds, that's what i'm using and i cant say that it's good or bad since i'm not using cds that much but if you are looking for a one box solution you would be better off with the Oppo 105. The dac in the 103 isnt that great. I have a stand alone Simaudio Moon 280d dac. One word of advice, dont get hung up on specs only. My integrated amp is rated at "only" 80 watts per channel but i cannot get it past half of its power it is so loud, while my Anthem i can crank easily at 90% of its power. If budget is a constraint i would suggest a good used dedicated amp with home theatre bypass option. Oh and by the way the sale you got wasnt miraculous, Focal Aria serie is on sale worldwide because of a change of color in the wallnut finish. I got the 936s at a very good price. If you want a good deal on an integrated amp with home theatre bypass without breaking the bank there are some very good options: look at Parasound, Bc acoustic (i tried both the ex332 and 362 and they are both fabulous for a very low price). Good luck.
Thank you for your reply. I think I might go with the NAD C375BEE after all. I can get a refurb for $1k.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Im new on this thread lately I have been checking out Focals 926 and 936 to me they sound better than BW's CM series. I compared them one of Audio Video store in my area who knows next year I might jump ship.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Okay guys,

I need some help. I am wondering which one is the better speaker for the given price? I really like how Focal Floorstanding speakers sounds and trying to decide which to get. The two options I am looking at are:

1. Focal Chorus 727 - $999.99/pair http://www.accessories4less.com/make...shipping-quote

~~~

2. Focal Chorus 826 V - $1350/pair http://www.musicdirect.com/p-139684-...eakers-pr.aspx

I tried looking up some reviews but I cant seem to find anywhere which one is better. What you guys think?

Thank you in advance.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
I'd get a pair of Aria 906's which would be in that price range and far outperform both of those but with a little less bass extension. Just a way better speaker than either.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contuzzi View Post
I'd get a pair of Aria 906's which would be in that price range and far outperform both of those but with a little less bass extension. Just a way better speaker than either.
Are those models that bad? I auditioned few bookshelves and towers and towers sounded better...fuller. That is why I kind of wish I get towers for myself.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Any thoughts on using the birds and/or sibs for dolby atmos? More into here here . Ijust lost
Old 12-05-2015, 06:27 PM

Hi all,

Still looking for an amp to pair my Aria 926 with (mostly listening to CDs, industrial, post-punk, rock). Could you list what you are using or any recommendations? Budget is $1.5k, including used or refurbished. I auditioned Rogue Audio Sphinx with the 926s and it was fantastic all around except for when listening at low volumes. I also auditioned Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II and that was brilliant at low volumes, and I loved how it reproduced the highs and the vocals, but not the pulsing bass and guitar distortion. The salesman told me that the Sphinx can't chug at low volume because it's a type D amp, while the Magnum is type A. In any case, both of them brought new life to the speakers compared to my old Yamaha receiver (obviously). The Sphinx was a total workhorse, as I gave it some very challenging music to process (Nine Inch Nails, some of whose tracks fill the entire Hz spectrum from top to bottom with sound) - I would've bought it on the spot if it were not for the low volume issue. Maybe a pre-amp would fix that?

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corfio View Post
Are those models that bad? I auditioned few bookshelves and towers and towers sounded better...fuller. That is why I kind of wish I get towers for myself.
Not bad at all.

However in that range I'd go with the closeout Walnut 906's from Music Direct, and if you have an external amp, add a JL E110 sub (using the crossover in the sub). That would smoke just about any speaker setup anywhere near the price range.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faulkton View Post
Any thoughts on using the birds and/or sibs for dolby atmos? More into here here . Ijust lost
Sib's are good, Domes would be better, but I think birds would be a little too small.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Sib's are good, Domes would be better, but I think birds would be a little too small.
Would you ceiling mount or go reflective with the sibs?? If ceiling, would i want them level at the ground or slightly pointed toward me? unsure of the sweet spot/ dispersion.

So since i already have the birds, your're saying a 7.2.2 would be better than a 5.2.4 using the birds. I was pretty set on 5.2.4. I am also a little surprised because overall the Bird 5" (not little or super) seem like an overall beefier speaker

If i went 7.2.2 would the birds work for rear surrounds mounted high behind MLP or maybe front height/presence, side height?

Thanks so much for the short notice input, I really like hearing any opinion from anyone willing to read my thread. Plus this IS getting done tonight, at least a good start and i would rather avoid drilling a million holes in my ceiling tying to position, especially if they just plain wont wok.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:54 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by taufive View Post
I have the Focal Aria 926 and I think my wadding is also bad. How did you take out your drivers? There is a silver bezel ring around the drivers which hides the screws which I have no idea how to take off. How did you take yours off? I'm worried if I pry them off I will either snap the bezel or scratch the finish.
The silver rings are mounted only with double sided bond tape, thin but strong. I was able to remove them with rounded kitchen knife and an old debit card for prop to keep the leather from scratches . W/o any marks.
Just be patient.

..and because an picture costs thousand of words

Sony CDP, NAD amp, Focal Aria 948, Yamaha NS-SW300 sub .
"Music is the basis of all life. Without music, we have no meaning, no joy and no soul. It comes from your innermost thoughts and emotions. Music is the celebration of life. Celebrate the life."

Last edited by dedobot; 12-06-2015 at 03:12 AM.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Would you ceiling mount or go reflective with the sibs?? If ceiling, would i want them level at the ground or slightly pointed toward me? unsure of the sweet spot/ dispersion.

So since i already have the birds, your're saying a 7.2.2 would be better than a 5.2.4 using the birds. I was pretty set on 5.2.4. I am also a little surprised because overall the Bird 5" (not little or super) seem like an overall beefier speaker

If i went 7.2.2 would the birds work for rear surrounds mounted high behind MLP or maybe front height/presence, side height?

Thanks so much for the short notice input, I really like hearing any opinion from anyone willing to read my thread. Plus this IS getting done tonight, at least a good start and i would rather avoid drilling a million holes in my ceiling tying to position, especially if they just plain wont wok.
I'd absolutely ceiling mount. Reflecting off the ceiling is far and away the worst way to achieve "height" for atmos. If you can get them on the ceiling, one pair behind you and one pair in front of you both angled slightly towards you, that would be ideal. Check the dolby atmos outlines for where to put them and at what angle on the dolby site.

I'd recommend 5.1.4 over 7.1.2 by a mile. Also, you mentioned the idea of rear surround channels mounted high up -- I wouldn't recommend that at all. They should be at ear level or a little higher. There needs to be vertical discrepancy between surrounds and heights, otherwise the separation wont be there.
faulkton likes this.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Not bad at all.

However in that range I'd go with the closeout Walnut 906's from Music Direct, and if you have an external amp, add a JL E110 sub (using the crossover in the sub). That would smoke just about any speaker setup anywhere near the price range.
They do not carry the 906 anymore. So my options go back to the towers 726 and 826. Which one would be the better speaker? What are they difference?
Old 12-06-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
I'd absolutely ceiling mount. Reflecting off the ceiling is far and away the worst way to achieve "height" for atmos. If you can get them on the ceiling, one pair behind you and one pair in front of you both angled slightly towards you, that would be ideal. Check the dolby atmos outlines for where to put them and at what angle on the dolby site.

I'd recommend 5.1.4 over 7.1.2 by a mile. Also, you mentioned the idea of rear surround channels mounted high up -- I wouldn't recommend that at all. They should be at ear level or a little higher. There needs to be vertical discrepancy between surrounds and heights, otherwise the separation wont be there.
Thanks so much, I fell asleep last night and never got anything finished so there is still time to change

Talk to text fail! I meant to say, that was pretty much my original plan. I'm just not sure if I should put the zip files up front or the bird flies behind.

I'm also unsure about reusing the bic 12, since I already own it. It did pretty decent in home theater, but kind of sucked with music. I was thinking about crossing it over at like 40 or 50 Hertz and then crossing over the Boston Acoustic M subwoofer around 80. I just have a hard time believing that a tenant is going to provide enough low low low bass for home theater. Maybe I'm wrong, but coming from my car audio background makes me think I should have gone 15 and spend a lot more. Again thank you so much to anyone who has read, or posted, or giving me any sort of input advice critique anything, I do greatly appreciate it!

Last edited by faulkton; 12-06-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much, I fell asleep last night and never got anything finished so there is still time to change

Talk to text fail! I meant to say, that was pretty much my original plan. I'm just not sure if I should put the zip files up front or the bird flies behind.

I'm also unsure about reusing the bic 12, since I already own it. It did pretty decent in home theater, but kind of sucked with music. I was thinking about crossing it over at like 40 or 50 Hertz and then crossing over the Boston Acoustic M subwoofer around 80. I just have a hard time believing that a tenant is going to provide enough low low low bass for home theater. Maybe I'm wrong, but coming from my car audio background makes me think I should have gone 15 and spend a lot more. Again thank you so much to anyone who has read, or posted, or giving me any sort of input advice critique anything, I do greatly appreciate it!
Look into getting at least one JL Audio E112. Unbelievable for movies and even better for music. It will knock your socks off. Try to find a local dealer that will let you borrow one and you will suddenly be willing to do anything you can to pay for one.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm considering the 936 as a replacement for my Rocket 850 Sigs. I could never find a review for my aging 850's, so I don't really know how much of an improvement in music quality I can expect. My 850's are great for HT, but I've never been satisfied when listening to music.
Am I in for a pleasant surprise if I purchase the Aria 936's?

"They that would give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety - Benjamin Franklin
Old 12-19-2015, 02:11 AM

No 936 owners in a Focal thread? Not a good sign.

"They that would give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety - Benjamin Franklin
Old 12-19-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyman View Post
I'm considering the 936 as a replacement for my Rocket 850 Sigs. I could never find a review for my aging 850's, so I don't really know how much of an improvement in music quality I can expect. My 850's are great for HT, but I've never been satisfied when listening to music.
Am I in for a pleasant surprise if I purchase the Aria 936's?
Just not a very active thread on AVS forum. People on here are more focused on internet direct brands.

Anyway the 936 blows away anything else in its price range. Yes, you are in for a treat. If you like tons of detail without ever being fatiguing, unbelievably wide, deep, and tall open soundstage, and imaging that will blow you away. Bass is very good, but the strong points are the soundstage, midrange, detail, and most of all extreme musicality. They are more musical than MOST speakers at any price range.

When you get them, they should have ZERO toe in, regardless of what the manual tells you. I also recommend having the front spikes a little bit taller than the rear spikes to give it a bit of an upwards tilt.

Buy them. You will be absolutely thrilled.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Just not a very active thread on AVS forum. People on here are more focused on internet direct brands.

Anyway the 936 blows away anything else in its price range. Yes, you are in for a treat. If you like tons of detail without ever being fatiguing, unbelievably wide, deep, and tall open soundstage, and imaging that will blow you away. Bass is very good, but the strong points are the soundstage, midrange, detail, and most of all extreme musicality. They are more musical than MOST speakers at any price range.

When you get them, they should have ZERO toe in, regardless of what the manual tells you. I also recommend having the front spikes a little bit taller than the rear spikes to give it a bit of an upwards tilt.

Thanks! I've always wanted the Chorus 836W(VW), but now that I can afford it, it's not available. The Aria 936 seems to be very similar. I'm hoping it's actually better.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Thanks! I've always wanted the Chorus 836W(VW), but now that I can afford it, it's not available. The Aria 936 seems to be very similar. I'm hoping it's actually better.
It's a definite step up, that's for sure.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:14 PM

I placed an order for the 936's. They're on sale.

Last edited by Scottyman; 12-20-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I placed an order for the 936's. They're on sale.
Report back. You will love them.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Absolutely !
I got same conclusions from mine 948's. Cheers.

Sony CDP, NAD amp, Focal Aria 948, Yamaha NS-SW300 sub .
"Music is the basis of all life. Without music, we have no meaning, no joy and no soul. It comes from your innermost thoughts and emotions. Music is the celebration of life. Celebrate the life."
Old 12-27-2015, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedobot View Post
Absolutely !

I got same conclusions from mine 948's. Cheers.

My 948's also sounded great with no toe in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. PS Audio DirectStream DAC. Bryston Model T, Mini-T Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). "Silenzio" EA-2 Media Server (pc-based). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
Old 12-29-2015, 04:45 PM

The 936's should arrive tomorrow! I hope my Onkyo 876 is a good match. Denon 7200WA better?

Old 12-29-2015, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 226
you wont know the difference unless you try

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc800v, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Velodyne HGS 12, VA 1512, Rythmik FV15HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Focal , Focal 705v , Focal 706v Chorus Loudspeakers , Focal 716v Floor Standing Speakers , focal aria , focal aria 936 , Focal Chorus 726v Floorstanding Speaker Light Walnut , Focal Chorus 836 V , focal electra