Focal - JM Lab Owner's Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 125Likes

Old 02-25-2007, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From what I read the pioneer does a good job. Takes ten minutes to run. You put a
microphone at the sweet spot you want to calibrate to.
Takes into account speaker distance, sound pressure, and standing waves. Now I know it
can't work miracles, but it will be interesting to see what it does. If it does a good job,
I'll probably draw out my room and show my speaker placement. To show people what
I had to deal with. There's probably a thread out there that will be appropriate for this
data. I don't know much about the arcam stuff. BTW, rented 2 bluray movies today to
test out the system. The Last Samurai and Terminator 2. I don't have any SACD
or DVD-audio. I usually like to burn my own CDs, since I can pick and choose what I
listen to, can't stand buying a CD with 1 or 2 good songs. As I mentioned before, I
just bought these new remastered Beatle's discs. (Love). It's the soundtrack used
in a Vegas show, Cirque du Soleil. The first two soundtracks blew me away. There are
two discs, 1 2-channel Cd disc, and 1 DVD with 5.1 surround sound. A good test to
see how the pioneer's MCACC works. 1 more day to wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2007, 03:25 PM

The Arcam stuff is absolutely amazing sonically, and the sales person's comments on putting the Japanese receivers to shame is spot on, if audio quality is what you are looking for. But you pay for that audio quality by loosing some key features that many people do need, most notably room correction and audio over HDMI. My dealer carries the Pioneer Elite stuff, and they aren't even in the same league as the Arcam (I tested the Pioneer Elite 84 vs the Arcam 350), but the lack of features is killing me right now. It sounded so much better though, that I may buy it anyway, and just switch my multichannel audio externally with a good 5.1 analog audio switch from Zektor.

One other thing to remember also, the Arcam is pretty much twice the price also, so it's supposed to sound better.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 168
My old dealer told me the same thing. He said that Arcam and JM sound fantastic together. I needed balanced inputs and outputs. It did not fit my needs 100%. But everything I have heard and read say that the arcam gear sounds great. Their stuff should be considered as well.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
Old 02-25-2007, 08:29 PM

My main concentration is a killer HT system, not for pure audio system. I was looking for features that the pioneer brings to the table. Plus, by adding a power amp I'm hoping it
would open up the audio. But, since I'm a proud owner of focal speakers, I guess you
can say audio is important to.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxwes View Post

The Arcam stuff is absolutely amazing sonically, and the sales person's comments on putting the Japanese receivers to shame is spot on, if audio quality is what you are looking for. But you pay for that audio quality by loosing some key features that many people do need, most notably room correction and audio over HDMI. My dealer carries the Pioneer Elite stuff, and they aren't even in the same league as the Arcam (I tested the Pioneer Elite 84 vs the Arcam 350), but the lack of features is killing me right now. It sounded so much better though, that I may buy it anyway, and just switch my multichannel audio externally with a good 5.1 analog audio switch from Zektor.

One other thing to remember also, the Arcam is pretty much twice the price also, so it's supposed to sound better.

yes, everybody knows arcam makes a great receiver but gadget has a pioneer and has taken the courageous step of pairing it with a good amp--i am guessing much of the sound difference is due to the piss poor amps they put into receivers in general (save a few)--the digital preamp room eq circuitry may help more than it would hurt (i.e. to have a solely analog preamp) given the room situation he faces--seems like we could give him a chance to set it up and give us a review--seems like he has created a really interesting way of mixing and matching technology to meet his room, teshnology, and sound needs and desires. It is certainly a much better setup than I started out with!
Old 02-25-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile View Post

yes, everybody knows arcam makes a great receiver but gadget has a pioneer and has taken the courageous step of pairing it with a good amp--i am guessing much of the sound difference is due to the piss poor amps they put into receivers in general (save a few)--the digital preamp room eq circuitry may help more than it would hurt (i.e. to have a solely analog preamp) given the room situation he faces--seems like we could give him a chance to set it up and give us a review--seems like he has created a really interesting way of mixing and matching technology to meet his room, teshnology, and sound needs and desires. It is certainly a much better setup than I started out with!

I was pointing out that the sales rep at the shop he went into was not just blowing smoke (go back and read Gadget's post, he stated he didn't know much about the Arcam gear). I also didn't realize at the time that he had purchased that Sunfire amp, which should take care of the piss poor amps they put in receivers in general (love your phrasing there).

I am also in a similar situation where I am torn between features and sound quality. I really need the room correction (funky room in an apartment) and 4 HDMI ports that can do audio (Oppo 970HD, Toshiba HD-A1, PS3, SA8300 HD), but I cannot afford the seperate amplification right now. That leaves me with the Pioneer Elite 84 or one of the new Marantz's (probably the SR8001).

What to do, what to do, what to do.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I can say that the Halo(parasound) seems to be good. I have not heard the amps but the Halo C2 has been fantastic. That might be a choice for people to think about also. Also, I heard Classe'. That was some fine gear. I am not sure on specs but it may be worth checking out as well.

My System
Old 02-26-2007, 06:17 AM

Thanks for all your help guys - It was nice to know that the sales person wasn't blowing
smoke up my ... - Though in reality, he wasn't addressing any benefits the pioneer might
have, and why would he, that's my job, and why I come here.
I found this forum very useful. Especially this thread. It's nice to get advice, and not
a lot of fanboyism. My decision in buying an amp and getting the sunfire was from this
thread. Though most of my decisions were done before I even knew this forum
existed. Which is good and bad. Good, that I made a decision and ordered stuff using
whatever reviews I could find. Meaning, if you visit all the owner threads about
speakers. I would be totally confused, because each claiming theirs is the best.
And we all know who makes the best speaker. only kidding.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Yea it is hard some times. People always recommend what they have. So we all have to be smart and do our own research to determine if it is right of us. After all, you will have to live with it, not me.

My System
Old 02-26-2007, 05:38 PM

I don't have anything....

Well, I sorta do, but nothing to brag about
Old 02-27-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00ds13 View Post

The speakers I am looking at are

Sib XXL Floorstanding Speaker x 2 (left & right fronts)
Sib XL Speakers x 3 (Centre, left & right surrounds)
Cub2 Subwoofer

Hi,

On second thoughts, would this amp be ok?
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR674...ews/B000H9C8KO

Just seen this

Technical Details
95 watts per channel minimum into 8 ohms, 20 hz-20khz, 0.08%, FTC
WRAT - Wide Range Amplifer Technology
VLSC - Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry for all channels
2 HDMI inputs and 1 output
Composite to S-Video upconversion

I notice this speakers have an impodence of 8 ohms is this ok?

Thanks
Old 02-27-2007, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00ds13 View Post

Hi,

On second thoughts, would this amp be ok?
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR674...ews/B000H9C8KO

Just seen this

Technical Details
95 watts per channel minimum into 8 ohms, 20 hz-20khz, 0.08%, FTC
WRAT - Wide Range Amplifer Technology
VLSC - Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry for all channels
2 HDMI inputs and 1 output
Composite to S-Video upconversion

I notice this speakers have an impodence of 8 ohms is this ok?

Thanks

The speakers are 8ohm's but they dip down to 4ohms. It should be OK.
Are you getting these from a store? Can you listen to them with that receiver.
I am always a little bit hesitant when speakers dip down to 4ohms with a receiver.
You may notice that it will struggle a bit and your receiver may get hot. But Onkyo is a good brand with realistic power ratings. I just checked the specs. They rate their power down to 6 and 4ohms. You should be fine with that receiver.

My System
Old 02-27-2007, 01:56 PM

Thank you, if i were to look at a better amp what should i look for regarding the ohms?
Old 02-27-2007, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

If you are sticking with a receiver, that is probable a good one. When you look at the specs try and see if it says it is stable or can handel 6 or 4ohms. Another one that could handle them with little problem would be the Arcam receiver. I think it is model number 350. When you goto a completely separate amp, you could get by quite well with something that puts out 100-120 watts at 8ohms. Something like that would have no problem with those speakers.

My System
Old 02-28-2007, 05:23 PM

Hey Duke, any sub yet?

Woods, that receiver will get you going fine with those speakers. The Arcam will put you into a different league, unless you are looking to go there. The Sib Co line has great sound quality for the $ and is relatively easy to make sound great with good components. Better components will help, but you may find your component budget doubling! Ouch!
Old 02-28-2007, 10:54 PM

hi all, i'm interested in getting 816v. but my dealer does not have the ebony finish in the showroom to show me. Can any kind soul post a clear pic of 816V ebony finish here? Any comments on which finish looks better?
Old 03-01-2007, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Below View Post

Hey Duke, any sub yet?

Next weekend(mar 9-10) it will be going in .

My System
Old 03-01-2007, 10:30 AM

807v vs 714v

I'm kinda debating between the two....I had the 714v in my house for a few weeks and liked sound, but it was dissapointed in the bass. Ive only listened the 807v at Tweeter and thought it had more punch than the 714s...Can anyone else comment on their experiences?
Old 03-01-2007, 03:45 PM

Gadget,

So how are those Profiles? Any pictures?
Old 03-01-2007, 05:32 PM

It's a long story. I may have to break it up into 2 messages - I was typing it in earlier -
then it went away to a blank screen. oh well - here goes.

Everything is in except the sunfire amp - and I have a subwoofer on loan. - my hasn't arrived (focal sw908 sub).
As far - as the HT part of it - Plasma looks great - great HT sound - My pioneer 84 - doesn't
have the latest firmware - but I think it has the LFE fix - since I can do the power-on/video
select thing to get the +10db boast to SW. Still need to research more about what update
does what.
As far music goes - I was very blown away when I listened to the 1027s with that new
beatle CD (love) - so much depth. I was being swallowed up. Did my profiles match up
to this sound - not even close. But my comparison - is very unfair to the profiles.
see part 2
Old 03-01-2007, 05:48 PM

part 2:
The 1027s were using an arcam preamp/amplifier/and a arcamcd/dvd player.

profiles: no amp - just the pioneer a/v recv and a ps3 for playing the CD.

1027s were in an acoustical friendly environment with system components that have been
tuned for the best sound. - This was a high end audio store.

profiles - were in an hostile environment -

1027s - were broken in -

profiles - brand spanking new - I've have read - it may take months to break in.

Not very fair to make a comparison between the two.

The only thing that bugged me about the profiles, was a sound that hear in some
recordings. One of Willie Nelson's songs for one. The sound almost sounds like a blown speaker, some some type of vibration. It is repeatable for the sound track, and I heard
that same sound at other times. It could be in the recording. I need to swap the R/L
speakers to see if it follows it. If it was a blown speaker, I would think I would hear
it more often. Unless, it occurs at a certain frequency. Anyway, need to troubleshoot
it some more.

part 3 to follow.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:14 PM

part 3:

To make a long story, shorter...

I just came back from tweeter, and even though the comparison isn't fair now,
I just upgraded my profile system to the electra system, meaning:
L/R speakers - Electra 1027be
Center speaker - Electra CC1000be
Sub - Electra SW1000
Surrounds (3) - Electra SR1000be

I know what these speakers are capable of - I'll deal with the other issues - if
they exist - at a different time. I'm now saying the profiles are bad speakers,
because they're probably great also. I just didn't give them a chance. But, I will
report later, as they break in - and will report about that vibration sound.
The surrounds will be coming from france - 5 weeks probably. 1027s are coming from
chicago or king of prussia pennsylvania - 10 days.
At least, I can enjoy what I got. -
that's it more now - if I forgot anything - just ask.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:25 PM

Wowee! Congrats!

I told ya to spend it all now

Seriously though, that is some awesome system you got brewing! Enjoy!

Add: Gadget, the electra BE series is just such a great step up, it really does give you more for the money. I really want to hear how you like it...I never heard those INSANE surrounds...
Old 03-01-2007, 07:53 PM

Thanks! - I'm a little ( a lot) embarrass, on how much money I put into this system -
that's what I get - for holding back so long - I felt a great deal of pressure - of not
holding back on the speakers - because I knew - I wouldn't get them after the upgrade
period - because it would be harder to justify. A good thing about great speakers -
they will always be great - none of this - firmware updates - VHS bs BETA - SACD vd DVD audio, HDMI 1.3, - etc, etc.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget_101 View Post

part 3:

Sub - Electra SW1000

I know what these speakers are capable of - I'll deal with the other issues - if
because they're probably great also. I just didn't give them a chance. But, I will
The surrounds will be coming from france - 5 weeks probably. 1027s are coming from

SWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Nice going! Can;t wait to see how you like it! Loving my 1027/sunfire setup! Yours is considerably beter balanced/voiced than mine is--i don't have the matching surrounds/sub like you do!

Also agreed the 1000 series is worth the price and then some for the upgrade. I think you'll be happy with the decision--I certainly am. I Hope everything comes in soon--looking forward to the review.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:50 PM

Denophile,

I don't know if the surrounds is worth the money. If I was just into audio music - I would of
spent the money on other things. Plus, for that much money, where are the special
effects!!!! My son usually watches his shows in his room. He didn't think the High Def and
great sound would make a difference. But, he loves it! What's not to love.
What is your pre-amp? How did your 1027s sound out of the box? How long to break
them in? At least, I know what they sound like. The 928s were bought without previewing
them. They were special order. I heard the 918s though. That was the other reason
why I traded up. I didn't know how good they would be at the end.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget_101 View Post

part 3:

Sub - Electra SW1000

Way to Go!!!!!!!
Talk about going all out on the first try. That should be a fantastic setup. I am sure once everything is in place you will be very happy. My 1027's were floor models but I am not sure how much playing they actually got. Yea, I know it was alot of money to drop all at once but IMO you made a great choice. I would be interested on your thoughts regarding the sub. My new one is going in next week, but I am still curious. I know you are excited. And I know we don't have to ask to post your views when you get it all organized. Sunfire amp right? Did you say you are getting(using) a receiver or a separate preamp. I can't wait to read your thoughts on it. I would also be curious about what you think of the center.
Again, great job on getting a great system.

My System
Old 03-02-2007, 05:59 AM

My sunfire 7x200 amp isn't in yet. So I'm just using the pioneer 84 A/V now. The pioneer
will be used as a pre-amp, HDMI switcher - when the sunfire comes in. Both the profile SW908 and the Electra Sw1000 are 13" woofers. The SW1000 weigths in at 92 lbs.
While the Sw908 is at 59.5 lbs. I should have my neigbor write the review for the sub
when it comes in. Just reverse everything he says - That lousy sub bounces me out bed
everynight...
Old 03-02-2007, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

That sounds like a plan. There is a test of the sub on AVtalk.com. It looks like a strong sub. Plenty of output down into the 20's. Maybe a bit more in room. Looking forward to your write up.

My System
Old 03-02-2007, 06:43 AM

Mike,
When is your sub coming in? What size is the woofer?
I was skimming the thread on your sub. It has a lot of people excited!
Including you!! Can't wait to hear about it. I'm sure you'll let the focal
thread know when you posted a review in the sub thread. You better!!!!

Would you call them - custom subs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Focal , Focal 705v , Focal 706v Chorus Loudspeakers , Focal 716v Floor Standing Speakers , focal aria , focal aria 936 , Focal Chorus 726v Floorstanding Speaker Light Walnut , Focal Chorus 836 V , focal electra