post #811 of 6582 Old 03-09-2007, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

My room is small so it may not be universal. But one way to "aim" the tweeters so they pass just by the outside of your head. I found with my setup when the tweeters were directed to much at me, I lost allot of my sound stage. Some people also like to have it so the tweeters would meet right in front of you. Truthfully, it is going to take trial and error to get it right.
http://www.focal-fr.com/revue-presse...A1027BEGB1.pdf

On page 4 of that review they give you some pointers and tell you about the porting system of this speaker. It is in the setup section.

thanks mike for posting re how you have them setup, I'll have a read of that link. And yes a bit of trial error might be needed depending on the room and preference. But do appreciate your posting.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 6582 Old 03-09-2007, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Like I said it took me 2 weeks of moving and listening to get it right. Sometimes no more than a half inch to an inch. They are much more sensitive to placement then my 927's.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #813 of 6582 Old 03-09-2007, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got my sunfire amp today - still in the Box - Saw a pretty amp -
McIntosh mc207 7x200 - so tall - wouldn't fit on the bottom shelf.
I would need to bring the center channel down a shelf - and then
put the amp and a/v receiver on the top shelf. Don't know if it's
good to move the speaker down further from the TV. The plasma
hangs about 2 feet above the top shelf. I guess, I could lift
the front of the channel speaker up - so it's pointing at the listener
on an angle. Opinions?
Would this amp - really make a difference?
It will last longer - probably be my last amp.
But will it sound much better?
Will post this in the amp section.
post #814 of 6582 Old 03-09-2007, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I have heard McIntosh stuff before. I really liked it. Although I never heard it with JM speakers. It is a top shelf brand IMHO that has a long history. Is it from a local store? Maybe you can get a home demo.

My System
post #815 of 6582 Old 03-09-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:

No. They don't come with any port plugs.

Thanks Mike for the reply.

The reason I was asking is I auditioned the same set of 1027's as Alebonau, although over a week earlier, using different electronics and I'd reported the same problems with the bass, hence the question.

"I may not always be RIGHT, but I'm never WRONG"
post #816 of 6582 Old 03-09-2007, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

It has to be a setup issue. These speakers are fantastic with bass. I had the 927's and these are much much better. Deeper and more powerful and more detailed.

My System
post #817 of 6582 Old 03-09-2007, 03:12 PM

Mike, I just bought the Chorus 816V's and was debating whether I needed to use a sub with them or not? I do mostly music listening like a 60/40 split and have heard that the 816 can produce good base.

Do I need a sub and if so what crossover point should I choose?

Cheers
post #818 of 6582 Old 03-09-2007, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazzman View Post

Mike, I just bought the Chorus 816V's and was debating whether I needed to use a sub with them or not? I do mostly music listening like a 60/40 split and have heard that the 816 can produce good base.

Do I need a sub and if so what crossover point should I choose?

Cheers

I have never heard them, but based on the specs, you probably don't need one. Their extreme low end is 39Hz. That should be fine for music. You could certainly add a sub. As for cross over I would probably start with somewhere between 60-80Hz if you use a sub. But I would recommend doing some critical listening in your room with out it. You may find that what you are getting is fine. If this is a smaller room you should really be OK. Don't let that thought prevent you from enjoying the speakers. When you get them, make sure you tell us how they are.

My System
post #819 of 6582 Old 03-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Well I have a nice comparison coming next weekend. Focal 806's, Monitor Audio S2's, Triangle Titus 202's, and Ascend 170SE's. Ill keep you all informed
post #820 of 6582 Old 03-09-2007, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It has to be a setup issue. These speakers are fantastic with bass. I had the 927's and these are much much better. Deeper and more powerful and more detailed.

mike or anyone else wondering if you have demoed the 1027be with the mf a5 integrated and then the mf a5cr power. wonderign what benefits using the gruntier power amp brought.

I'll hopefully get my own a5 power around to the delears at some stage when get a chance but wondering if this is a comparison maybe some one has done already ?

post #821 of 6582 Old 03-09-2007, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearmint View Post

Thanks Mike for the reply.

The reason I was asking is I auditioned the same set of 1027's as Alebonau, although over a week earlier, using different electronics and I'd reported the same problems with the bass, hence the question.

EVen between the output taps on my sunfie the bass is VERY different--audibly so without even critically listening--they are very bass and equipment ans placement sensitive--through the current output taps the bass is a bit loose and not well defined but with the voltage source output taps it is SUPER tight, well defined, and clear as a bell. I think it just takes the right amp and placement (mine are about 18 in from the back wall). I think the problem isnt that they won;t give you good bass but they are so revealing of suboptimal equipment or placement-much like the high end of these speakers.
post #822 of 6582 Old 03-09-2007, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

alebonau

i suspect the chord cables are not that suitable. i have heard the 1027be with MF A5 pre and power compo using audioquest cables. the sound including bass was marvelous. if your dealer has MF speaker cables try them. or try some other thick pure copper speaker wires. they should even be better than the audioquest

cpu8088 - OLD and SLOW !!!
post #823 of 6582 Old 03-09-2007, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Chris, looking forward to your thoughts on those speakers.

My System
post #824 of 6582 Old 03-09-2007, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

alebonau,
It looks like you got some good info from cpu and deno. Just follow their advice. Some of their thoughts echo mine on how important placement and equipment is with these speakers. Every part of the chain is an integral link that will determine the final outcome of what you hear.

My System
post #825 of 6582 Old 03-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Chris, looking forward to your thoughts on those speakers.

Thanks. I have heard many speakers in the past few months. I am really looking forward to it.
post #826 of 6582 Old 03-09-2007, 11:01 PM

Installed sunfire tonight! When I first listened to it, it didn't sound right. Something was
missing - voices sounded to bassy - sound wasn't crisp - I don't know - Found out that I was in current source (the warm tube sound - hated it) Put it in voltage source -
I think it sounds better - but I'm having problems with my audio cables to my R/L/and
center - There are loose - These are expensive audioquest cables - Suppose to
last me a life time - The connectors are the banana type - The cables are very stiff, so
I'm using the stiffness to keep them in, but how much contact are they making -
They may have be snug when they were first installed last week, but not now.
Does anyone have experience with these plugs? Help?
post #827 of 6582 Old 03-10-2007, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I have banana plugs. They can be a pain. Mine were lose also. You just need to really screw them in tight. With mine, any amp movement will cause them to fall out. Just make sure that the binding post is securely fashioned. You probably have to twist the binding post on the amp to secure the speaker wire. Just make sure the wire is all the way in and is in full contact with the post.

My System
post #828 of 6582 Old 03-10-2007, 07:31 AM

Quote:

I have banana plugs. They can be a pain. Mine were lose also. You just need to really screw them in tight. With mine, any amp movement will cause them to fall out. Just make sure that the binding post is securely fashioned. You probably have to twist the binding post on the amp to secure the speaker wire. Just make sure the wire is all the way in and is in full contact with the post.

screw them in tight? I'm missing something. The red and black knobs on the
post are tighten - then you insert banana plug - How tight the banana plug
holds is a function of the plug - The plug has a portion that compresses I think
when you insert it - if that looses its flexibility - where it its permantently
compressed - it looses its snugness - I think that's how they work -
There's nothing to screw down to secure them -
Am I misinterpreting you? There are locking banana plugs - that I heard of.
post #829 of 6582 Old 03-10-2007, 09:50 AM

I went over to Tweeters the other day to listen to some Chorus 826v speakers and they sounded great! I thinking about getting the larger 836v's later on. Tweeters told me that they would match any prices on the Internet here, this is the lowest price that I have found http://www.americaninternetsales.com
post #830 of 6582 Old 03-10-2007, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiSoundGuy View Post

I went over to Tweeters the other day to listen to some Chorus 826v speakers and they sounded great! I thinking about getting the larger 836v's later on. Tweeters told me that they would match any prices on the Internet here, this is the lowest price that I have found http://www.americaninternetsales.com

I also went to tweeters a day ago and heard the 826v's i was actually wanting to listen to the 816v's but they did not have one on the floor.Regardless the 826v's were really nice.I linked to the site you listed,do you know if those prices are for the pair or each.The reason i ask if it's each they are way over.
post #831 of 6582 Old 03-10-2007, 10:45 AM

continuation - my banana plug problem - just got back from tweeter - the connector
has threads so I can screw on a spade type connector to it - normally this wouldn't
be a problem - but I have to check the cables - they are super stiff. connectors
are in the warehouse. get them tues. saga continues. - need to listen to the
amp some more - to see if its a keeper. My problem could be that I listened to crap
for so long - that I'm use to it. If that makes any sense, the dialogue has opened up
to more bass. Need to relistened to everything with amp w/o amp. The plug thing
bummed me out.
$$$ + bad connection + snake oil = bad mood.
post #832 of 6582 Old 03-10-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post

I also went to tweeters a day ago and heard the 826v's i was actually wanting to listen to the 816v's but they did not have one on the floor.Regardless the 826v's were really nice.I linked to the site you listed,do you know if those prices are for the pair or each.The reason i ask if it's each they are way over.

The price is for a pair. I'm going to get their larger 836v's later on it seems to be the sweet spot in their whole line! http://www.stereophile.com/news/101606focal/
post #833 of 6582 Old 03-10-2007, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I just auditioned some of the 826's yesterday, they were nice, had some good bass to them. However, I go to listen to some AV123 Rocket RS450's, those were awesome, they had cleaner, more detailed highs than the 826's. The 826's had more bass which was nice & tight. I am selling my Cobalt 816S's to get me some Rockets!

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #834 of 6582 Old 03-10-2007, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

alebonau,
It looks like you got some good info from cpu and deno. Just follow their advice. Some of their thoughts echo mine on how important placement and equipment is with these speakers. Every part of the chain is an integral link that will determine the final outcome of what you hear.

yes thanks mike, and cpu & denophile for your posts back. Hope to get aroudn to demo with the A5 power amp in a week or two, ran out of time this weekend and next weekend likely to be a busy one too for any demos so appreciate the responses in the mean time. cpu good to hear that with the a5cr pre + power combo you heard these speakers do a marvelous job. deno & mike yes will play with placement for sure, thanks for the tips.

post #835 of 6582 Old 03-11-2007, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Well add me to the club!

Decided to "swing by" the local Tweeter today because my father-in-law has given me the task of outfitting his entire beach house with a "musical home theater". Well after listening to the Focal 826v's, I knew that that was a sound that not only would HE love...but I loved as well . Well I went home...had a sit-down with the wife, and 2 hours later I was bringing my own Focal 826v's through the front door.

Well granted it's only been one evening, but I am absolutely in love with the tone coming out of these speakers. Granted, I'm making quite an upgrade from my Athena AS-F2.2's, but the difference is laughable it's so huge. I simply love these speakers. Coupled with my 12" Velodyne sub, I'm in my own little acoustic heaven.

So I'll be heading back this week to order my father-in-law his own pair along with the CC 800v center channel (no surrounds yet) and a receiver...but I'm just not sure what reciever to get him yet. My initial gut reaction is to go with Yamaha 2700 or so just because it seems that such a musical pair of speakers deserves a musical receiver as opposed to a Denon which, in my opinion, is more geared towards the movie crowd. He'll be doing probably 65% music and 35% movies. So what receivers would you recommend in the sub-$1000 range? It needs HDMI in/out (but not necessarily up conversion).

Thanks!

XBOX - Hyperplasia | PS4 - Hyperplasia
post #836 of 6582 Old 03-11-2007, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder View Post

I just auditioned some of the 826's yesterday, they were nice, had some good bass to them. However, I go to listen to some AV123 Rocket RS450's, those were awesome, they had cleaner, more detailed highs than the 826's. The 826's had more bass which was nice & tight. I am selling my Cobalt 816S's to get me some Rockets!

The problem with this atleast for me is that as good as the rockets may be you cant go and listen.You have to take a chance that you will like them better than the ones you can listen to.If you dont like them it's a pain in the rump to send them back as well as waisting ones time if you dont like them enough.
And as far as the 826v's they sounded great when i heard them at tweeters,i just wish they had the 816's to compare.
post #837 of 6582 Old 03-12-2007, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post

The problem with this atleast for me is that as good as the rockets may be you cant go and listen.You have to take a chance that you will like them better than the ones you can listen to.If you dont like them it's a pain in the rump to send them back as well as waisting ones time if you dont like them enough.
And as far as the 826v's they sounded great when i heard them at tweeters,i just wish they had the 816's to compare.

It is a gamble, but I don't see how many people would not like them in the price range they are.

The Cobalt 816's is the old model. If you are interested in buying some I got mine for sale. Pm me and I will get you some pics.

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #838 of 6582 Old 03-12-2007, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder View Post

It is a gamble, but I don't see how many people would not like them in the price range they are.

The Cobalt 816's is the old model. If you are interested in buying some I got mine for sale. Pm me and I will get you some pics.

I may have been off on the model,i was referring to the v series.
post #839 of 6582 Old 03-12-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangs55 View Post

Well add me to the club!

Decided to "swing by" the local Tweeter today because my father-in-law has given me the task of outfitting his entire beach house with a "musical home theater". Well after listening to the Focal 826v's, I knew that that was a sound that not only would HE love...but I loved as well . Well I went home...had a sit-down with the wife, and 2 hours later I was bringing my own Focal 826v's through the front door.

Well granted it's only been one evening, but I am absolutely in love with the tone coming out of these speakers. Granted, I'm making quite an upgrade from my Athena AS-F2.2's, but the difference is laughable it's so huge. I simply love these speakers. Coupled with my 12" Velodyne sub, I'm in my own little acoustic heaven.

So I'll be heading back this week to order my father-in-law his own pair along with the CC 800v center channel (no surrounds yet) and a receiver...but I'm just not sure what reciever to get him yet. My initial gut reaction is to go with Yamaha 2700 or so just because it seems that such a musical pair of speakers deserves a musical receiver as opposed to a Denon which, in my opinion, is more geared towards the movie crowd. He'll be doing probably 65% music and 35% movies. So what receivers would you recommend in the sub-$1000 range? It needs HDMI in/out (but not necessarily up conversion).

Thanks!

The best sounding receiver with the JM Lab chorus 826v's at Tweeters I thought was the Denon av 4306, it really sounded great with music and was a great match with these speakers. I know this is a $2000 receiver but you can find then as low as $1429 at http://www.bwayphoto.com and Tweeters will match that price too. Here's a review... http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/r...denon-avr-4306
post #840 of 6582 Old 03-12-2007, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangs55 View Post

Well add me to the club!

Thanks!

i have to disagree about the yamaha and denon comparison--I like denon for music better but that's just my opinion--you may also want to try harman kardon--i bought one for my sister and she loves it (as do I when I hear it).

In fairness I did happen by a tweeter last weekend and saw a chorus setup (for the first time!) played through a dneon receiver with a live concert dvd and it sounded really thin--something must have been off--either a terrible recording or something set up improperly but for a demo room the sound sucked a*$ --really disapointing. Bear in mind I am NOT trashing either denon or the chorus series--I think it must have been an anomaly of their store setup. I really think denon receovers do an ok job with music--generally have a low noise floor and a fairly neutral presentation. If I had to go with another receiver to pair with the chorus series under 1K I would probably go with HK. Just my HO. Then again, for just a little bit more get this:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CA640R
hard to argue with cambridge--afaik this is new to the market and looks SWEET. The 540 model comes in WELL under 1K.

also, it is requisite to mention these days in the forums that if you are looking for good value products in this price range check out outlaw audio separates (albeit without hdmi).

If you decide you have $2k to spend--it's a whole new world of recievers.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Focal , Focal 705v , Focal Chorus 836 V , Focal 716v Floor Standing Speakers , Focal 706v Chorus Loudspeakers , Focal Chorus 726v Floorstanding Speaker Light Walnut
Gear in this thread - 726v by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page