Focal - JM Lab Owner's Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 6545 Old 03-19-2007, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
when the audioquest dbs cables came out to the market it was hot with the smoothen mids to cater for removal of digital artifacts. after a while i heard some dealers thought those dbs cables without batteries sounded better. ??? so i lost faith in those dbs cables while stick with traditional non networked cables

not that many are buying monsters at rrp. however i do like the monster sigma series cables which if you can get at a good price are worth a try

cpu8088 - OLD and SLOW !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 6545 Old 03-19-2007, 07:41 PM

Liked: 10
Hi All,

The piece of plastic that holds the tweeter and attaches to the speaker cracked. Anyone know who may have an extra for a pair of cobalt 807? Thanks. I am located in New York City.

Yours,

Owen Davis
post #903 of 6545 Old 03-19-2007, 08:15 PM

Hi everyone,

I've been studying this forum and the Focal owner thread for two weeks and learning a lot. I have Focals in my car, and love their performance. I recently decided to upgrade our home theatre/stereo setup, and will almost surely get stuff from the Chorus V line. I went and listened to the 726s and was impressed, but thought they lacked some low end. The 700 series price range has been my target, but now I'm reconsidering going into the 800 series. My questions have to do with sound quality difference and additional bass. Is the 800 series noticebly better quality in general (sound wise) or are they just finished out nicer? With the additional down firing port I'm assuming the bass is better in the 800 series, but how would the 816s compare to the 726s? I'm assuming the 826s would sound the best of my three choices, but that price range is a tad more than I wanted to spend. The room I'm using is about 25x20, but joins the dining room with an open wall.

I'll head to my dealer soon to listen to the 826s, but would appreciate any feedback before I can get there. It's also probable that he won't carry the 816s, so I'm looking for solid feedback on that set.

Thanks for any help, keep up the great forum...
post #904 of 6545 Old 03-19-2007, 08:17 PM

I've been using a pair of JM LAB Cobalt 806's for a couple of years with tube gear. These are the original tweeter model. I've found them very quick and clean. I really enjoyed the midrange and the bass, while limited in quantity, was quite tuneful and tight. Tje one thing i didn't like was the treble.

On well recorded material it is great. But, if you want to listen to something poorly recorded in a rock vein (say Bon Jovi) cymbals are bleached, etched and just unpleasant.
I can't listen to 50% of my cd's without cringing. I know it's the recording's failing but there are speakers that handle this issue much better.

I just bought a pair of DALI Mentor 6's instead of JM LAB 3-ways because I'm afraid of that metal dome. I really like the Utopia line but the price of admission...
post #905 of 6545 Old 03-19-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile View Post

i'm thinking of replacing my audio research and monster cable with audioquest bedrock via audioadvisor (who bought a bunch in bulk) as i need a 20 ft run for my speakers--this is a non dbs cable--anyone have any experience with this stuff with their focals? cpu--do you think the extra sound quality the dbs provides is worth the significant increase in cost (I don't mean that in a personal sense but percentage wise compared to the percentage cost increase). mids are important indeed...

Denophile,
I don't see the Bedrock cables on the audioquest website. Are these older cables?

CPU8088
Do you know anything about the audioquest's type 8 speaker cables?
These 3 speaker cables are going to be 6', 6' and 8'. Can't see why I need
something better.

I'm thinking about getting a Oppo DV-970HD (at $150) to play around with
SACD and DVD-audio. - If I get the Blue-man group DVD-audio - good
break-in disc for my low end response. Also the unit is only 1.6 inches
high. Should be able to stack it somewhere.
post #906 of 6545 Old 03-20-2007, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

[quote=Gadget_101]Denophile,
I don't see the Bedrock cables on the audioquest website. Are these older cables?
QUOTE]

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AQBEDNF
post #907 of 6545 Old 03-20-2007, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget_101 View Post

Focal's Electra surrounds are up - gorgeous
Focal's Electra sub is in - dazzling
Focals'a Electa 1027s are in - stunning

Breaking them in now - If they play 1/2 of what they look like -
I'll be in music/HT heaven.

Great workmanship.

I also got my money back on some audioquest - snake oil cables -
Really didn't feel comfortable -
spending all that money - around 1k - for 3 speaker cables - ( has a dc voltage -
that breaks them in )
I still got audioquest cabels - but much much cheaper. Right now, until the new
audioquest cables come in, (did a special order. with better banana plugs),
I just ran my own cable and used the bare wire connection, which is probably the
best way to go.

Anyway. it's a good day.

That is great to see that you got them in. Now comes the fun part. As for cables I have always used Transparent Audio speaker cable. I really don't feel the need to upgrade them any more. Way to go all out in one shot. Like I said, that system will give you years of listening pleasure.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #908 of 6545 Old 03-20-2007, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

gadget

those type 8 cables are decent

cpu8088 - OLD and SLOW !!!
post #909 of 6545 Old 03-20-2007, 10:03 AM

My Chorus 816's came in to Tweeter on Sunday and I picked them up and assembled them. The speakers are big and rich looking, much more serious than the Chorus S speakers they replaced. Surprisingly they are only about 2" shorter than the 826V.

The sound has been to say the least decadent, although I have only played them for about 5 hours total, I can hear the massive potential in them.

Compared to the Chorus 714 S they are much tighter and the music has layers and layers of depth to it. Also the highs and mids are dead on.

Overall I can best describe them as a solid step into the audiophile realm. With the build quality and the glorious sound I really feel as if I have gone to the next level in musical enjoyment.

After only about 5 hours the sound is just glorious, I am not using a sub and have not done any calibration as of yet.

I am using a 70wpc Arcam Receiver with a Cambrdige Audio Azur 640 CD player, Panamax power regenerator and Analysis Plus wires. Although the reciever has plenty of juice for the speakers I am contemplating the 120wpc Arcam AVR350 or some Parasound Halo separates.

I am planning on buying an Oppo 871 DVD, some Shunayata power cords and will look at the Transparent wires that Mike D uses.

Two big thumbs way up...
post #910 of 6545 Old 03-20-2007, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Sound good to me Lazzman. You have some good equipment around them that should really help you get allot of good music from them. I use Transparent, yes. But two things. Mine are a few years old and the level I have are a bit pricey. But I am sure the other levels are good also. Make sure you report as time goes by.

My System
post #911 of 6545 Old 03-20-2007, 02:56 PM

I spent a few bucks on my cables and would spend more to get the most from my equipment.

I have a $200 pair of Synergistic Research Alpah sterling for analog that I am thinking of upgrading.

My Arcam dealer gave me the Transparent Link 100 to try and they were great. I am going to demo the Musik Link for my analog connection this weekend. Transparent suggest 200hrs of break in time for the cables, patients is a virtue.

Will keep all posted.

Cables are important if you want to extract every last bit of performance out of your equipment. The focals are so sensitive and capable of reproducing the suttlest sounds that it is worth it to match them to the best cables you can afford.
post #912 of 6545 Old 03-20-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafixvince View Post

836V fronts
800 center
807 rears
outlaw lfm plus 1 subs (2)
outlaw 990
outlaw 7700 7x200 amp

Absolutley love the setup...couldnt be happier. I will say the system was a bit forward when I first set it up, but after about a month of continual operation..it sounds great.

I had the 826V also in my house and in my opinion there is no comparison between the two. The 836V is a much better speaker..definitley more laid back and a better sound. I also tried both 806V and 807 V...again the 807V is much better.

The two outlaw subs are an excellent match with these speakers. For the total money($8800 for all) it is better than anything I have compared in the same price range. My room is huge 17X42 and the system fills the room great in both HT and Music playback.
Seems like I waited a long time for my speakers, but definitley worth it!

Glad to be a focal owner..............

Good Luck to all!

Any more feedback on the 836v's ?
post #913 of 6545 Old 03-21-2007, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazzman View Post

Cables are important if you want to extract every last bit of performance out of your equipment. The focals are so sensitive and capable of reproducing the suttlest sounds that it is worth it to match them to the best cables you can afford.

that makes more sense than anything else I have heard this week-appreciate the perspective...
post #914 of 6545 Old 03-22-2007, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Not to get side tracked on cables, but if most "normal" people knew what I spent on cables, they would think that I was nuts. For real. I will put it this way, it is well over $250. But I agree that it is a very important component in the system. It should be taken care of just like any other part.

My System
post #915 of 6545 Old 03-22-2007, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I am a firm believer in 'quality' cables only because I like quality in the goods I purchase.
I want something built right the first time that is going to last.
Beyond that, I have serious reservations as to the sonic benefit. I read recently an article on a video benefit, here:

http://bluejeanscable.com/articles/b...dmi-update.htm

This is something measurable but does not guarantee an improvement you will necessarily see unless your hardware meets specific criteria, as well as the signals being passed through. It has more to do with POTENTIAL results.
So I would have to say, if you can't measure it, or quantify it in some aspect, it has doubtful value except for the individual experiencing it.
If a good number of people experienced the same phenomena with particular cables, you have created a basis of some authenticity. Trying to justify it without such basis is difficult at best IMO not to say you should be banned for saying so, on the contrary!
If it works for YOU, that is all that is important. And if what you experience is not what most 'normal' people would understand, that does not make you abnormal.
post #916 of 6545 Old 03-22-2007, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoaddikt View Post

If it works for YOU, that is all that is important. And if what you experience is not what most 'normal' people would understand, that does not make you abnormal.

Some people may disagree . I will be honest. I have had these cables for years so I would be lying if I could tell you right now what the differences were. I just know there were other wise I would have returned them. I am not rich. I can not afford to just waste money. By 'normal' I did not mean people who can not hear the difference. By normal I meant everyone else who would not pay what I did for cables. .

My System
post #917 of 6545 Old 03-22-2007, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

What is your favorite Focal Home Theater speaker?
post #918 of 6545 Old 03-22-2007, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Me personally,
I really like the stuff from the Utopia line. The Alto's can sound great. While some don't like them, I have always thought highly of the Grand Utopia's. But of course I really like the 1027's, since I have them . Any thing from the Utopia line can be used for HT. That is why they have the center. I have heard the Grand Utopia, Alto Utopia, Diva Utopia and the Sub Utopia. IMO they are all fantastic speakers.

My System
post #919 of 6545 Old 03-22-2007, 03:57 PM

I have been reading through all the pages here and heard great things about the 1027 Be.

I am interested in the 927 Be which would be a step down from the 1027 Be but it fits my budget better. Anyway, what would be a good choice for matching center and surrounds for the 927 Be.

Also would the difference between 927 Be and 1027 Be be huge ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangs55 View Post

Well I'll post the details later...but let's just say that I've had 5 different pairs of speakers in my living room over the past two weeks....from B&W 704/703 -> Strata Mini -> Focal 826v and I've (VERY surprisingly) made an extremely easy decision. To both my wife's ears and my own, the Focal 826v is the undisputed champion.

I'll go more into my thoughts in a later post...

But for now, I'll be ordering another pair for our beach house entertainment center and I'm debating now on the 826v vs the 836v. Sadly, I'm unable to audition the 836 anywhere near my house so I'm going to rely on good ol' AVS . Can someone comment on the differences that has heard both? Does the sound signature change when going to the 836v...I ask b/c I'm in love with the crispy goodness of the 826v.

Thanks!

Stang55, since you have listened to the Mini Strata, how would you compare the Mini to the Focal 826v ?
post #920 of 6545 Old 03-22-2007, 04:54 PM

Hi people,

First of all don't stress with my english, i'm a little bit "rusty". If this forum was all about portuguese discussions, it would be a lot, lot easier!!

I've been taking a look through the pages of this thread, and my first conclusion is that i'm confused !

I've made my choice last weekend in a local retailer - Chorus 826V - that's my budget limit concerning speakers and i'm not keen on choosing another brand. I'm fully in love with their stuff and i intend to build my HT around this series.

My present problem is what AV should i attach to this gorgeous performers (IMHO)?

My first choice was a Denon 2307, but it seems unanimous that Denon & Focal don't pair just like i thought they would... So... decisions, decisions...

I've been reading all about AV's, and the more i read about a specific AV the more i'm getting confused.

So, in your opinion and for something within the "denon league" what is my best shot? My main objective is build a HT gear, but i'm a music lover, so i presume a 40% for HT and 60% for Music listening. HDMI is a must have for future use with a 1080p LCD/Plasma & high definition audio player's.

- Av's around 750/900 - something between 500GPB and 610GBP.

- Yamaha RXV-1700
- Marantz 6001
- Sony STR-DA3200ES
- Pioneer VSX-1016V
- anything else?

-Pioneer VSX-AX2AS-S (that's away from my pocket... )

thanks in advance!

Yeah, right!
post #921 of 6545 Old 03-22-2007, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

cambridge audio 640. check it out! I think it could be better for audio with your focals than the others you have mentioned...
post #922 of 6545 Old 03-23-2007, 10:53 AM

Just pick-up my Mac in yesterday - My I in mac heaven? I wish!
When I ran the pioneer 84 auto MCACC calibration - my speakers are picking
up a hum/static. I didn't experience this with the sunfire amp. During the
MCACC calibration - the speakers put out white noise as part of the test.
It could be this white noise that is being picked up.
When I listen to the TV - that hum/static goes away.
Which is why I say, maybe related to white noise.
Right now I have only
my R/L/center connected and I'm in the process of running my cables which will
yield the least interference. It's very frustrating to spend so much money - and have
problems. I also tried taking the MAC out of the panamax conditioner - to no avail.
In one test I ran with the MCACC - is a level check - where you select a speaker and
the program puts out white noise. When I select my subwoofer - I heard this noise -
at first blaming the sub - but it was coming out of other speakers - when I powered
down the amp (not needed in the sub test) - the noise went away.
When I removed my sub - I still had noise problems - It's just easier to detect the extra
noise with the sub - because the sub has it's own sound. White noise coming out
of a speaker - makes it hard to listen to noise from the other speakers.
Any suggestions?
post #923 of 6545 Old 03-23-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile View Post

cambridge audio 640. check it out! I think it could be better for audio with your focals than the others you have mentioned...

Thx Denophile, but it doesn't seem to be capable of processing LPCM audio signals over it's HDMi interfaces, and for me that's a "must have" !

Taken from:

1) Re: Cambridge Azur 640R receiver vs Sony STR DA5200ES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Sony will give you the option of LPCM over HDMI which will future proof you for some time over the 640R, it also has an excellent auto set up, as far as sound quality is concerned it has received good reviews see latest HCC, I don't think there is much contest with the Cambridge as it falls behind in a number of areas.

2) You own a PS3 and a Tosh HD DVD-E1. Neither of these devices offer 5.1 analogue out and the CA 640R does not process audio via HDMI. Accordingly, the 640R can't be considered in this instance.

As far as sound quality is concerned the CA 640R is considerably better than the Sony. However, this is irrelevant in your case as you need HDMI functionality which the 640R does not provide.

3)It's a shame really, CA could really have produced something special here and what an outstanding piece of kit it would have been too if only it had the HDMI repeater fitted or at least as an optional upgrade!!

Can you confirm that??

Yeah, right!
post #924 of 6545 Old 03-23-2007, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just pick-up my Mac in yesterday - My I in mac heaven? I wish!
When I ran the pioneer 84 auto MCACC calibration - my speakers are picking
up a hum/static. I didn't experience this with the sunfire amp. During the
MCACC calibration - the speakers put out white noise as part of the test.
It could be this white noise that is being picked up.
When I listen to the TV - that hum/static goes away.
Which is why I say, maybe related to white noise.
Right now I have only
my R/L/center connected and I'm in the process of running my cables which will
yield the least interference. It's very frustrating to spend so much money - and have
problems. I also tried taking the MAC out of the panamax conditioner - to no avail.
In one test I ran with the MCACC - is a level check - where you select a speaker and
the program puts out white noise. When I select my subwoofer - I heard this noise -
at first blaming the sub - but it was coming out of other speakers - when I powered
down the amp (not needed in the sub test) - the noise went away.
When I removed my sub - I still had noise problems - It's just easier to detect the extra
noise with the sub - because the sub has it's own sound. White noise coming out
of a speaker - makes it hard to listen to noise from the other speakers.
Any suggestions?

is EVERYTHING plugged into the panamax (that is otherwise connected together in the system)? If anything isn't I would try to find a way to do that and see if it still happens...sounds like you have done a good deal of troubleshooting already...if I were you I'd be relaly frustrated too--when you spend that much it seems like it should work right...
post #925 of 6545 Old 03-23-2007, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaTrED View Post

Thx Denophile, but it doesn't seem to be capable of processing LPCM audio signals over it's HDMi interfaces, and for me that's a "must have" !

Taken from:

1) Re: Cambridge Azur 640R receiver vs Sony STR DA5200ES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Sony will give you the option of LPCM over HDMI which will future proof you for some time over the 640R, it also has an excellent auto set up, as far as sound quality is concerned it has received good reviews see latest HCC, I don't think there is much contest with the Cambridge as it falls behind in a number of areas.

2) You own a PS3 and a Tosh HD DVD-E1. Neither of these devices offer 5.1 analogue out and the CA 640R does not process audio via HDMI. Accordingly, the 640R can't be considered in this instance.

As far as sound quality is concerned the CA 640R is considerably better than the Sony. However, this is irrelevant in your case as you need HDMI functionality which the 640R does not provide.

3)It's a shame really, CA could really have produced something special here and what an outstanding piece of kit it would have been too if only it had the HDMI repeater fitted or at least as an optional upgrade!!

Can you confirm that??

you're totally right--it doesn;t do lpcm over hdmi form the manual:

"In order for the 640R itself to receive audio (Including surround-sound)
from HDMI (or DVI) sources a Co-axial (SPDIF) or Optical (Toslink) digital
audio connection must be made from each source to the 640R."

this is completely typical of high-end receivers in that they don't screw around with audio over hdmi--the better the receiver often the more behind they are on all this new hdmi and new audio format stuff--the best receivers I know of are all like this as are many of the good audio multichanel preamps--to me audio is more important than video because I have multichannel outs and ins and units with good d/a converters but that will likely change when I get hd dvd or blu ray--having a parasound c1 with no hdmi connectivity I have no option for lpcm over hdmi either and will have to rely on the analog in (or more lossy dd or dts via toslink) but to me that is a small price to pay for the audio quality I get with dvd a and sacd, hdcd, etc--its a matter of priority...

I didn't know it had hdmi connectivity that was so limited--does seem like a mistake for a brand new receiver...did you consider Harman kardon--the 745 may have some of the features you're looking for but I'm not sure--anyone running focal with H-K? also their lower end models are getting revamped to xx7 (from the x45) series--looks like they may have something new out to accomodate all the new stuff out there soon. they also have semi-real amps in their models...
post #926 of 6545 Old 03-23-2007, 05:08 PM

Denophile,

I just talk to MAC tech support. They want me to plug the A/V receiver and the MAC in the
same wall outlet. - remove all internal inputs to the recv - and try that. I don't want to
repack the MAC. I never seen a piece of gear - so well protected. They had a box within
a box - with foam panels and bolted unto a piece of plywood - I was suppose to go to
Pittsburrgh to my grandson's Birthday party - plus a delivering a free plasma and my
old bose lifesytle system to my grandson's father. The plasma was free from tweeter
when I bought their 1080P model. I got things to do before I start tweeking again.
I want to be in the right frame of mind.
post #927 of 6545 Old 03-23-2007, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Denophile,

I just talk to MAC tech support. They want me to plug the A/V receiver and the MAC in the
same wall outlet. - remove all internal inputs to the recv - and try that. I don't want to
repack the MAC. I never seen a piece of gear - so well protected. They had a box within
a box - with foam panels and bolted unto a piece of plywood - I was suppose to go to
Pittsburrgh to my grandson's Birthday party - plus a delivering a free plasma and my
old bose lifesytle system to my grandson's father. The plasma was free from tweeter when I bought their 1080P model. I got things to do before I start tweeking again.
I want to be in the right frame of mind.

sounds like great advice. nice work getting an extra plasma out of the deal with tweeter! Have a great weekend with the family and maybe by the time you get back the electrical faries will have worked their magic!
post #928 of 6545 Old 03-23-2007, 07:34 PM

Denophile,
Well I narrowed it down. If I just have the amp powered on - I hear the hum. In fact,
it's the same hum that comes from my kitchen's fluroescent lights. But I powered of the
light, in case it was causing interference. Anyway, I followed McIntosh's advice, and
plugged the recveiver and the amp, in the same wall outlet. Hum goes away when they
are both powered up. Unfortunately, can't leave it that way, since I have no power
for the rest. I forget what the techican called this. Ground loop or was that something else?
I'm going to ask help in the amp area. I want to know if I have a faulty piece of equipment,
and tying them to the same outlet, is a band-aid fix. I'm going to try using different
outlets in the panamax, But it sounds like it doesn't want to be isolated from the
other. I can look for a heavy duty outlet box. Any expertise in this area?
Searching the threads might be a good idea before I post. I know I seen hum problems before.
post #929 of 6545 Old 03-23-2007, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

given this seems to be an amp and hum issue, I would go here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=amplifier+hum

I am actually in health care and my experience is largely in tinkering in electronics and live sound in bands--I'm no engineer. one initial thought--if the pioneer or the mcintosh is 2 vs three pronged the grounding situation could be different and that could be causing the problem (the sunfire is ungrounded in the power cord--good old bob carver probably learned a thing or two from the live sound stuff he designed back in the 70s and 80s). If I had to guess that's where I think the problem might be but as I said, out of my area of expertise.

Thanks for the indulgence fellow focal thread followers--I think we can all synpathize with gadgets sorrow with his great focal system isn't quite right yet.

also gadget--feel free to PM me anytime--there are some real gurus that seem to be at that other thread that seem to know a lot about ground loop issues and hum and how to go about diagnosing and fixing it...best of luck, let me know if there is anything I can offer...
post #930 of 6545 Old 03-23-2007, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I understand the frustration. For almost a year my system was not performing right and all the time the problem was that I switched the amp to mono by accident . I hope you are able to fix your problem soon so you can start to enjoy your system. I will be honest and say that other then a grounding issue, I am not sure what the problem may be.

My System
Reply Speakers

Tags
Focal , Focal 705v , Focal Chorus 836 V , Focal 716v Floor Standing Speakers , Focal 706v Chorus Loudspeakers , Focal Chorus 726v Floorstanding Speaker Light Walnut
Gear in this thread - 726v by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page