post #991 of 6554 Old 04-03-2007, 03:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile View Post

sounds like either the amp or preamp--or perhaps the source--you can figure out which by unhooking one at a time and seeing if it is still there (i.e. switch inputs to see if it is the source--if still there then it is the preamp or amp--then turn the amp off and unhook the preamp--if still there when you turn the amp back on then it is the amp...sorry--that sucks...

Thanks, I fixed the problem. For some reason I had the wires crossed as soon as I switched them the slight static noise went away...WHEW...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 6554 Old 04-03-2007, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile View Post

--some people also start with a 2 ch amp and use the receiver for surround sound power....many good options!

Is this a viable progression path? I have some pretty good 2ch equipment (Acurus) that I would hate to box up and retire. The vast majority of my serous listening is 2ch. Until I see more HD music programming I can't see spending a lot of money on a high end HT system. I would only be using it for HD and the occasional DVD rental. Although watching the Red Sox on NESN HD in surround would be nice . Are you saying just use the receiver as a (albeit mediocre) source for the DSP functions?
post #993 of 6554 Old 04-03-2007, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonnerd View Post

Is this a viable progression path? I have some pretty good 2ch equipment (Acurus) that I would hate to box up and retire. The vast majority of my serous listening is 2ch. Until I see more HD music programming I can't see spending a lot of money on a high end HT system. I would only be using it for HD and the occasional DVD rental. Although watching the Red Sox on NESN HD in surround would be nice . Are you saying just use the receiver as a (albeit mediocre) source for the DSP functions?

That is a perfectly fine upgrade path. Mine was just a little different. I went to a 3ch first then a 2ch. I used the 3ch for the front three then the receiver for the surround. Then I got a 2ch amp. I put that on the front 2 speakers and the other amp on the center and surrounds. It is perfectly OK to let the receiver do some of the powering of the other speakers. Also it is OK letting the receiver be the source of the DSP functions.

It ain't easy being green.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #994 of 6554 Old 04-03-2007, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

That is a perfectly fine upgrade path. Mine was just a little different. I went to a 3ch first then a 2ch. I used the 3ch for the front three then the receiver for the surround. Then I got a 2ch amp. I put that on the front 2 speakers and the other amp on the center and surrounds. It is perfectly OK to let the receiver do some of the powering of the other speakers. Also it is OK letting the receiver be the source of the DSP functions.

Thanks! I probably should move this to another forum but do you have any suggestions for a receiver that has good DSP front end? I should be able to pick up a good used 3ch amp at a reasonable price. Also, any way to utilize my Acurus Pre for 2ch use?
post #995 of 6554 Old 04-03-2007, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Not a problem. Me personally, if I were in the market for a receiver would look at the Pioneer and Denon models that fit your budget. Another option is Arcam. I have heard nothing but fantastic things about pairing JM with Arcam. If you want to use your Acurus for 2ch, just connect it to the pre-outs for the L/R speakers. That way when you listen to music in stereo mode, you will be using your amp, not the power from the receiver.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #996 of 6554 Old 04-03-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassfajita View Post

Unfortunately, I don't have access to an EQ, nor do I really want to use one. The sssss is getting really annoying...its there even at low-mid volumes. Does anyone else experience this with the 700 or 800 series? I think the tweeter is the same.

AA--any input?

I thought my speaker search was concluded, but it may have to start up again!! This sucks.

Anyone?
post #997 of 6554 Old 04-03-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:

Anyone?

I'm a newbie at this audio stuff, so I don't understand the symptom.
Are you hearing background noise? Or when someone screws up in the
video and yells SSSSHxxt!!! it doesn't sound right?

Anyone?
post #998 of 6554 Old 04-03-2007, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

It could be a room interaction. It could be cable interaction. Or it could be the surrounding equipment. I have not heard the speakers so I can not comment on them directly. The best thing to do, is if you have a dealer, is to explain what your are experiencing and see if he wouldn't mind letting swap out some stuff on a temp basis just to try and nail it down.

post #999 of 6554 Old 04-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

My two 836v's came in to complete my system. I installed the new speakers today but was wondering how I break the speakers in. I think I read about 20 hours. Do I turn the volume up and leave everything on for a day or so?

My system
Focal 836v
Focal SR800v
Focal CC 800v
Pioneer Elite 84
Emotiva MPS-1 amp
Panasonic Blu-ray
Xbox 360 HD DVD
D*TV HR20-700

thanks for all the help..
M1
post #1000 of 6554 Old 04-03-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fuller68 View Post

My two 836v's came in to complete my system. I installed the new speakers today but was wondering how I break the speakers in. I think I read about 20 hours. Do I turn the volume up and leave everything on for a day or so?

My system
Focal 836v
Focal SR800v
Focal CC 800v
Pioneer Elite 84
Emotiva MPS-1 amp
Panasonic Blu-ray
Xbox 360 HD DVD
D*TV HR20-700

thanks for all the help..
M1

I heard play it at mid-volume with lots of bass. But don't annoy the
neighbors.
post #1001 of 6554 Old 04-03-2007, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Anyone?

if this is truly a sibilance issue it is likely the speaker--but few other people have reported sibilance issues with these speakers so speaking to the dealer and listening to them in another setup at a similar volume to see if it is your setup or the speakers would make sense....sorry you they havent been satisfying for you thus far...
post #1002 of 6554 Old 04-03-2007, 09:30 PM

Thanks for the help--I will try moving them to another room. What is odd though is that all of the other speakers I have auditioned in home did not have this issue in the same room and same place. These were special order from my dealer so I doubt I can give em back.
post #1003 of 6554 Old 04-04-2007, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

one other thing that occured to me is that bad turntables can produce excessive sibilance--one more thing it could be if that is the source you are using but that in combination with the fact that other speakers you have tried in your setup dont't do it make it a very remote possibility
post #1004 of 6554 Old 04-04-2007, 08:39 AM

Sorry for asking a dumb question, but what is a sibilance issue?
post #1005 of 6554 Old 04-04-2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget_101 View Post

Sorry for asking a dumb question, but what is a sibilance issue?

Sibilance is when all of the "s" sounds don't sound clean, but instead are exacerbated and sound like a sharp "ssssssssssssss". I'm gonna get with my dealer today and see if he could help me out.

thanks again for everyone's input
post #1006 of 6554 Old 04-04-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:

Anyone?

826's here... So far so good, but i'm a newbie !

I'm listening right now UB40 and i'll be turning my attention on that particular issue.

Later on i'll give you some feedback, but one thing i've noticed since i bought them it's a very peculiar tweeter clarity/crystalline detail, which is somehow distorted at very high volume settings - AV limitations i presume.

PS: My treble settings on the AV -> +0db

Yeah, right!
post #1007 of 6554 Old 04-05-2007, 03:51 PM

Hey guys, I had a quick question I thought you could help me with. I'm considering getting a pair of Chorus 705 S. It says that its max power handling is 65W, does that include amplified? If not, what should be the max amplified power used with them?

Thanks for your help in advance
post #1008 of 6554 Old 04-05-2007, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Fool View Post

Hey guys, I had a quick question I thought you could help me with. I'm considering getting a pair of Chorus 705 S. It says that its max power handling is 65W, does that include amplified? If not, what should be the max amplified power used with them?

Thanks for your help in advance

do you mean is that peak or rms? if that is what you mena that is probably a conservative rms rating

In general you want to have excess amplifier power--having less is where you're likely to damage a speaker. You will know by sound if you are overdriving your speakers--if you have too little power and the amplifier distorts it will destroy the drivers--you should probably be looking for an amp with 100 wpc + if you are going solid state. There are some great amps, however, either class A or with otherwise great power reserves that are rated under 100 watts that are superb (coda for example, pathos classic one integrated, etc...). IN any case the most important of your components are your speakers and amps, and as a general rule you can't have too much power. If you can clarify your question if this doesn;t answer it let us know!
post #1009 of 6554 Old 04-05-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfuller View Post

Pulled the trigger today. Purchased the following Focals:

2 - 826v's Mains
1 - CC800v Center
4 - SR800v Surrounds

The should arrive next Thursday or Friday. I picked to Ebony finish... I love the look. I will be driving these with a Denon 3806. May add an amp later. They will be going into a dedicated theater to be finished mid April.

Woot!

Got my speakers in yesterday. All except the center, its on back order. I hooked up the mains to my Denon and all I have to say is WOW... these rock. The clarity is outstanding. I have about 13 hours in the break in. I will have them setup in the dedicated theater next week, looking forward to that.

post #1010 of 6554 Old 04-06-2007, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

That's great fuller. Glad you really like them. Make sure you post an update as time goes by and when the center comes in.

post #1011 of 6554 Old 04-06-2007, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Zen, Deno is right. That is just a number. Don't feel intimidated by it. I have 300 watts going to my towers that are "rated" for 200 watts. Under powering is more of a problem. 100 watts would be fine with those speakers. Typically you can get by with a little less power from tube amps. So don't let the power rating limit you. You only criteria should be budget and taste. If you have any more questions, just ask.

post #1012 of 6554 Old 04-06-2007, 07:32 AM

Quote:

Zen, Deno is right. That is just a number. Don't feel intimidated by it. I have 300 watts going to my towers that are "rated" for 200 watts. Under powering is more of a problem. 100 watts would be fine with those speakers. Typically you can get by with a little less power from tube amps. So don't let the power rating limit you. You only criteria should be budget and taste. If you have any more questions, just ask.

Mike, based on your last opinion am i in risk of damaging my pair of 826v's, since the AV - Sony 3200ES - only outputs 110W per channel? I've always thought that the amp power should be less or equal to speaker's power...

Yeah, right!
post #1013 of 6554 Old 04-06-2007, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaTrED View Post

Mike, based on your last opinion am i in risk of damaging my pair of 826v's, since the AV - Sony 3200ES - only outputs 110W per channel? I've always thought that the amp power should be less or equal to speaker's power...

No. You will be fine. It is just that the speakers may "like" the power they will get from a dedicated amp. The min impedance drops a bit low but that looks like a good receiver. Only if you really crank it might you notice any problems. But at normal+ levels, you should be fine. You really don't want less power. What that could do is have you turn up the level allot. If you do that, you may cause the amp(receiver) to clip which is bad for your speakers. Any more questions, just ask.

post #1014 of 6554 Old 04-06-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:

No. You will be fine. It is just that the speakers may "like" the power they will get from a dedicated amp. The min impedance drops a bit low but that looks like a good receiver. Only if you really crank it might you notice any problems. But at normal+ levels, you should be fine. You really don't want less power. What that could do is have you turn up the level allot. If you do that, you may cause the amp(receiver) to clip which is bad for your speakers. Any more questions, just ask.

I'll do that right away, define me please "Normal+ levels"? Normal+ levels for me is something between [-20, 0] db's !

thanks!

Yeah, right!
post #1015 of 6554 Old 04-06-2007, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaTrED View Post

I'll do that right away, define me please "Normal+ levels"? Normal+ levels for me is something between [-20, 0] db's !

thanks!

Normal is relative . I would think that it could be what you comfortably listen to movies with, but also room size has to be taken into account. In my room, with my equipment, anything louder then say, -10 is going to be pretty loud. I normally listen at somewhere between -16 to -13. Normal to me is just a comfort level. For instance, you have a comfort level, but once in a while you goose it for certain movies, you should be OK. Some people listen to it cranked all the time. That is what I mean.

post #1016 of 6554 Old 04-06-2007, 08:48 AM

I recently ordered a pair of chorus 716v fronts, the matching center and a set of(chorus 800v?) wall mount bi-pole surrounds. I will be powering these with a Marantz sr8200 reciever and Rotel RMB 1075 amp. Please advise if this will be a good set-up until I get a dedicated pre-pro. I will most likely get a velodyne sub (not sure of the model # but it ends with the number 5000). This is for 75% music-25% movies in a basement with carpet that measures 13x17 with 7.5' ceilings. Music is mostly jazz
post #1017 of 6554 Old 04-06-2007, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Parham View Post

I recently ordered a pair of chorus 716v fronts, the matching center and a set of(chorus 800v?) wall mount bi-pole surrounds. I will be powering these with a Marantz sr8200 reciever and Rotel RMB 1075 amp. Please advise if this will be a good set-up until I get a dedicated pre-pro. I will most likely get a velodyne sub (not sure of the model # but it ends with the number 5000). This is for 75% music-25% movies in a basement with carpet that measures 13x17 with 7.5' ceilings. Music is mostly jazz

That would a perfectly fine setup. So the receiver will just be used as a preamp. I am just curious, when you say music do you mean 5.1 or 2ch. But yes, that setup should be a nice one.

post #1018 of 6554 Old 04-06-2007, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

interesting mix but great choices-will be unterested in hearing your impressions--we hear a lot about using denon and pioneer receivers as pre-pros but not so much marantz thus far (but no reason ot think it won't be great). good call on the rotel--should actually work well I together would predict. let us know!
post #1019 of 6554 Old 04-06-2007, 08:57 PM

In response to MikeDuke:
I will be listening to both 2 channel and 5.1. I have a descent collection of DVD audio and Super audio disc that I play through a Pioneer Elite universal Disc player. I will post my thoughts on the sound as soon as I have everything setup. Thanks for your quick responses MikeDuke and Denophile
post #1020 of 6554 Old 04-06-2007, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In response to MikeDuke:
I will be listening to both 2 channel and 5.1. I have a descent collection of DVD audio and Super audio disc that I play through a Pioneer Elite universal Disc player. I will post my thoughts on the sound as soon as I have everything setup. Thanks for your quick responses MikeDuke and Denophile

Cool. Looking forward to you thoughts. Glad we could be of service .

Reply Speakers

Tags
Focal , Focal 705v , Focal Chorus 836 V , Focal 716v Floor Standing Speakers , Focal 706v Chorus Loudspeakers , Focal Chorus 726v Floorstanding Speaker Light Walnut
Gear in this thread - 726v by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page