Focal - JM Lab Owner's Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1171 of 6598 Old 05-06-2007, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,326
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Nice Phil. Sounds like a sweet setup. They will improve as the power to them gets better. I have the 1027's. They are really good for music. I am sure the 1037's would be outstanding. But I do not have the space for them right now and like I said, the 1027's sound fantastic. Congratulation on your setup. Make sure to keep us updated on the progress of your system.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1172 of 6598 Old 05-06-2007, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,326
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Bool, at some point everyone spends more then they plan on. It is just the nature of the beast . What sub are you looking at?

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #1173 of 6598 Old 05-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Senior Member
 
PhilT3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Collegeville (Skippack), PA
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks guys. I will keep you all up to date. Another weak link in the system is the source. I am using an older, lower level 5-disc DVD player from Denon. It's ok but I know it could be a lot better!

Yeah, bool... my budget has increased drastically as well. After the Pre/Pro/Amp upgrade, a better sub (or a better DVD/CD player) is next. I am currently running a Velodyne DLS-3750 and it just can't handle the size of my room. (BIG room)

thanks again guys.
PhilT3 is offline  
post #1174 of 6598 Old 05-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Member
 
bool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Yorkville
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Bool, at some point everyone spends more then they plan on. It is just the nature of the beast . What sub are you looking at?


Well, right now I havea Velodyne SPL1000 Series II. I am thinking checking out either the Martin Logan Depth, one of the Digital Drive Velodyne Subs, and the JL Fathom 113. Any other suggestions? For me right now, the only subs I can check out is the Martin Logan and the JL (have to drive over an hour to listen to them though).

I love this stuff!
bool is offline  
post #1175 of 6598 Old 05-07-2007, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,326
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I heard the Martin Logan Decent before. It was quite good. I am sure the Depth is a very nice sub also. The Velo and JL stuff is well documented and I am sure either would be great. I use a Seaton Sound SubMersive and I love it. You need to contact Mark directly at this point if you are interested. PM me if you want more ways to contact him then other then just on this forum. It is a great sub. It is a bit lighter but the cabinet is a bit bigger then the JL. It also retails for less.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #1176 of 6598 Old 05-07-2007, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,326
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 80
So do you think the source will be the next step Phil. If so, do you have a budget in mind of anything in particular you are interested in?

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #1177 of 6598 Old 05-07-2007, 07:18 AM
Newbie
 
dngrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings forum,

Thanks in advance for your assistance. I am a Focal newbie....a brand newbie. I am still in the process of opening everything and getting the new speakers setup.

I have a full set of Chorus 800 speakers...the 826's, the 800V Sub, SR800 surrounds, and the CC 800V center. These speakers are connected to a Yamaha RX-V2600 Receiver.

I have several questions. First, the manual says something about a break-in period for the speakers of anywhere from 24 hours to a couple of weeks. Will someone expound upon this? At what volume should I play the speakers to break them in? What is the typical break in period?

Regarding speaker wire and the Focal's, I bought some Type 4 wire for the fronts and the center. I had used a speaker similar to that of Monster previously. Is that wire something I really need, or can I take it back to Tweeter?

Any and all information will help. I set up the two loudspeakers last night and, needless to say, it didn't sound like it did in the store.

Once again thank you all!!!

D
dngrant is offline  
post #1178 of 6598 Old 05-07-2007, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,326
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by dngrant View Post

Greetings forum,

Thanks in advance for your assistance. I am a Focal newbie....a brand newbie. I am still in the process of opening everything and getting the new speakers setup.

I have a full set of Chorus 800 speakers...the 826's, the 800V Sub, SR800 surrounds, and the CC 800V center. These speakers are connected to a Yamaha RX-V2600 Receiver.

I have several questions. First, the manual says something about a break-in period for the speakers of anywhere from 24 hours to a couple of weeks. Will someone expound upon this? At what volume should I play the speakers to break them in? What is the typical break in period?

Regarding speaker wire and the Focal's, I bought some Type 4 wire for the fronts and the center. I had used a speaker similar to that of Monster previously. Is that wire something I really need, or can I take it back to Tweeter?

Any and all information will help. I set up the two loudspeakers last night and, needless to say, it didn't sound like it did in the store.

Once again thank you all!!!

D

First of all, congrats on your new speakers. You got some good ones there. Break in is a touchy subject. Some people say it is real while some do not. Since speaker cones do move I tend to think that they are like most any other moving part. They may loosen up over time. You can just play it a regular to slightly elevated levels. Typically about 50-100hrs. If you already have the wire, just use that. It may not sound like it did at the store. You have a different room and that will affect the sound. Where the speakers in the store being played with the receiver you have? If not, that could be a reason also. But you got a great set of speakers that should keep you satisfied for some time. Make sure to post what your thoughts are after time.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #1179 of 6598 Old 05-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Newbie
 
dngrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

First of all, congrats on your new speakers. You got some good ones there. Break in is a touchy subject. Some people say it is real while some do not. Since speaker cones do move I tend to think that they are like most any other moving part. They may loosen up over time. You can just play it a regular to slightly elevated levels. Typically about 50-100hrs. If you already have the wire, just use that. It may not sound like it did at the store. You have a different room and that will affect the sound. Where the speakers in the store being played with the receiver you have? If not, that could be a reason also. But you got a great set of speakers that should keep you satisfied for some time. Make sure to post what your thoughts are after time.

MIkeDuke,

Thanks for your reply. Which wire are you suggesting that I use, the regular wire, or the Type 4?

Let me clarify what I mean when I say it doesn't sound like it did in the store. While I was in the store, I was able to hear a good deal of bass, particularly mid-bass while listening to stereo (2ch) audio. This is one of the factors that sold me on the speakers. They blew my Sapphire's away in that category. However, in my house, I don't hear the mid-bass the same way. Granted, some of it is room acoustics, as my room is smaller than the room at Tweeter. The speaker sounded almost tinny. However, they have not been used for 50-100 hours.

D
dngrant is offline  
post #1180 of 6598 Old 05-07-2007, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,326
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I would use the type 4. So are these the same exact speakers(floor models) or are they new. If new then I would run them in for a bit and see what happens. And is it the same receiver that you have at home?

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #1181 of 6598 Old 05-07-2007, 09:52 AM
Newbie
 
dngrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
These speakers are brand new. I intend on running them for a while. The receiver used in the store was the RX-V2700, the newest model of my receiver.
dngrant is offline  
post #1182 of 6598 Old 05-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Senior Member
 
PhilT3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Collegeville (Skippack), PA
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
dngrant - give the speakers a little bit of time to break in first then see what you think. It really could just be the acoustics of your room. How much sound deadening does your room have? Your sound will be tinny, or bright, or hard, etc... without proper sound treatments. The room at Tweeter I am sure was treated more so than your environment.

Mike - no budget yet. Don't even know what players I will be considering. First I am purchasing a Pre/Pro & Amp.
PhilT3 is offline  
post #1183 of 6598 Old 05-07-2007, 10:28 AM
Newbie
 
dngrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PhilT3,

I have carpet, as well as my ottoman and theater seats in this room. Time I think is going to be the answer. I don't even have all of them out of the box yet.

Thanks,

D
dngrant is offline  
post #1184 of 6598 Old 05-07-2007, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,326
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Phil, I understand. Have you made any preliminary choices for amp/pre?
Grant, I would give them some run in time. But the room could be a factor here. It could depend on floor type, what furniture you have etc etc...

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #1185 of 6598 Old 05-07-2007, 02:58 PM
Member
 
HaTrED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a country called Portugal!
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dngrant View Post

Greetings forum,

Thanks in advance for your assistance. I am a Focal newbie....a brand newbie. I am still in the process of opening everything and getting the new speakers setup.

I have a full set of Chorus 800 speakers...the 826's, the 800V Sub, SR800 surrounds, and the CC 800V center. These speakers are connected to a Yamaha RX-V2600 Receiver.

I have several questions. First, the manual says something about a break-in period for the speakers of anywhere from 24 hours to a couple of weeks. Will someone expound upon this? At what volume should I play the speakers to break them in? What is the typical break in period?

Regarding speaker wire and the Focal's, I bought some Type 4 wire for the fronts and the center. I had used a speaker similar to that of Monster previously. Is that wire something I really need, or can I take it back to Tweeter?

Any and all information will help. I set up the two loudspeakers last night and, needless to say, it didn't sound like it did in the store.

Once again thank you all!!!

D

Nice setup, congrats!!

Yeah, right!
HaTrED is offline  
post #1186 of 6598 Old 05-07-2007, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
AudioArchitect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Guys and gals, we have a proud new Focal owner to welcome to the club. He bit the bullet and did a complete Focal Electra 5.1 setup all around. The setup is not completely done just yet (cabinet work), but its almost there. Hopefully he will chime and show us some pics. **hint hint**

He has hardwood floors, and yet they dont sound harsh at all, completely silky smooth. My favorite part of the setup is the SR1000Be. If some of you havent checked this speaker out. It is the Electra surround speaker that has a Twin-Monopole switch, which allows the user to have a 7.1 system with only 5 speakers!! Really neat stuff.
AudioArchitect is offline  
post #1187 of 6598 Old 05-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Senior Member
 
PhilT3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Collegeville (Skippack), PA
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mike -

It's between the Emotiva DMC-1/MPS-1 -or- Outlaw 990/7500. The Emotiva has HDMI capabilites versus the DVI on the Outlaw.

But, someone told me the Outlaw amp is truly balanced internally so the XLR connections are not just for show. (those are my words not his)
PhilT3 is offline  
post #1188 of 6598 Old 05-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Newbie
 
dngrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaTrED View Post

Nice setup, congrats!!

Thanks HaTrED!!

Another question...Where do most of you set the phase, at 0 deg. or 180 deg? In addition, where do most of you set the crossover? Typically 80hz?
dngrant is offline  
post #1189 of 6598 Old 05-07-2007, 07:00 PM
Newbie
 
Spesh_64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all.

Finally got my speakers and Outlaw separates (990, 7500) in. Set it up yesterday. It sounds unbelievable. Granted, I am a newbie when it comes to separates but I have to say, it makes a world of difference. I have the 826s in front with the CC800V center. I do not have the rear surrounds yet.

I have a fairly sizable room and it fills it very well. Once, I get everthing set up (i.e. cabinet for components), I will take some pictures (everthing is on the floor now).

I have to say that I was expecting to have some issues with the bass and tweeter based on what others were saying, but I am very pleased with both. I went way over budget like many others, but boy was it worth it!!! HT and music are amazing.
Spesh_64 is offline  
post #1190 of 6598 Old 05-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Newbie
 
dngrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spesh_64 View Post

Hi all.

Finally got my speakers and Outlaw separates (990, 7500) in. Set it up yesterday. It sounds unbelievable. Granted, I am a newbie when it comes to separates but I have to say, it makes a world of difference. I have the 826s in front with the CC800V center. I do not have the rear surrounds yet.

I have a fairly sizable room and it fills it very well. Once, I get everthing set up (i.e. cabinet for components), I will take some pictures (everthing is on the floor now).

I have to say that I was expecting to have some issues with the bass and tweeter based on what others were saying, but I am very pleased with both. I went way over budget like many others, but boy was it worth it!!! HT and music are amazing.

Congrats Spesh. I am a newbie too so we can learn and grow together. The rear surrounds make a big difference. They are nice and crisp. A good movie to test them out with is The Descent.

D
dngrant is offline  
post #1191 of 6598 Old 05-08-2007, 03:53 AM
Member
 
HaTrED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a country called Portugal!
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

Guys and gals, we have a proud new Focal owner to welcome to the club. He bit the bullet and did a complete Focal Electra 5.1 setup all around. The setup is not completely done just yet (cabinet work), but its almost there. Hopefully he will chime and show us some pics. **hint hint**

He has hardwood floors, and yet they dont sound harsh at all, completely silky smooth. My favorite part of the setup is the SR1000Be. If some of you havent checked this speaker out. It is the Electra surround speaker that has a Twin-Monopole switch, which allows the user to have a 7.1 system with only 5 speakers!! Really neat stuff.

I'm speechless !!!

Yeah, right!
HaTrED is offline  
post #1192 of 6598 Old 05-08-2007, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,326
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT3 View Post

Mike -

It's between the Emotiva DMC-1/MPS-1 -or- Outlaw 990/7500. The Emotiva has HDMI capabilites versus the DVI on the Outlaw.

But, someone told me the Outlaw amp is truly balanced internally so the XLR connections are not just for show. (those are my words not his)

I think either one of those setups would be great. Outlaw and Emotive both have very good reputations. Let us know what you eventually get. If your receiver has preouts, a good first step would be to get the amp first. Then get the pre. That is what I did.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #1193 of 6598 Old 05-08-2007, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,326
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spesh_64 View Post

Hi all.

Finally got my speakers and Outlaw separates (990, 7500) in. Set it up yesterday. It sounds unbelievable. Granted, I am a newbie when it comes to separates but I have to say, it makes a world of difference. I have the 826s in front with the CC800V center. I do not have the rear surrounds yet.

I have a fairly sizable room and it fills it very well. Once, I get everthing set up (i.e. cabinet for components), I will take some pictures (everthing is on the floor now).

I have to say that I was expecting to have some issues with the bass and tweeter based on what others were saying, but I am very pleased with both. I went way over budget like many others, but boy was it worth it!!! HT and music are amazing.

Great setup Spesh . I have no doubt that it sounds fantastic. I can remember when I first got in to seperates, many many moons ago. I was impressed with the results as well. When everything is setup, and you have more time with it, let us know how it is going.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #1194 of 6598 Old 05-08-2007, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,326
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

Guys and gals, we have a proud new Focal owner to welcome to the club. He bit the bullet and did a complete Focal Electra 5.1 setup all around. The setup is not completely done just yet (cabinet work), but its almost there. Hopefully he will chime and show us some pics. **hint hint**

He has hardwood floors, and yet they dont sound harsh at all, completely silky smooth. My favorite part of the setup is the SR1000Be. If some of you havent checked this speaker out. It is the Electra surround speaker that has a Twin-Monopole switch, which allows the user to have a 7.1 system with only 5 speakers!! Really neat stuff.

Sweet . Our master plan is working . Audio, I have a question for you. I have a small room. Under 1000cf. It is roughly about 12X9X8. I am using polk RT3's for my surrounds. Also I am using a cc-901 center. You know I have the 1027's and the SubMersive. In a room my size, would I gain anything by upgrading my surrounds to the SR1000Be's? Also, how good is the center. Is it way ahead of the 901 that I have?
Thanks

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #1195 of 6598 Old 05-08-2007, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cpu8088's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: surrounded by speakers
Posts: 3,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
mike

get rid of your polk and upgrade your cc901 to cc1000be

just the coherence in phase changes and crossover at same 2000hz are worth it

cpu8088 - OLD and SLOW !!!
cpu8088 is offline  
post #1196 of 6598 Old 05-08-2007, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,326
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I hear you cpu. What are the msrp's on them? I am really lazy and I don't feel like searching for them .

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #1197 of 6598 Old 05-08-2007, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cpu8088's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: surrounded by speakers
Posts: 3,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
as i do not reside in usa i wont have a clue of your retail prices

cpu8088 - OLD and SLOW !!!
cpu8088 is offline  
post #1198 of 6598 Old 05-08-2007, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,326
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 80
true that. I guess I have to do it the hard way.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #1199 of 6598 Old 05-08-2007, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,326
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 80
hey audio,
can you give some updated prices for JM speakers. I saw some prices some where else but I would like validation.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #1200 of 6598 Old 05-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Member
 
mattmana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.audionexus.com/loudspeakers.shtml

These prices are about spot on retail prices here in Norway.

There's no such thing as a 'pretty good alligator hunter'.
mattmana is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Focal , Focal 705v , Focal Chorus 836 V , Focal 716v Floor Standing Speakers , Focal 706v Chorus Loudspeakers , Focal Chorus 726v Floorstanding Speaker Light Walnut
Gear in this thread - 726v by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off