Focal - JM Lab Owner's Thread - Page 75 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #2221 of 6602 Old 04-02-2008, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hifisponge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 7,516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by widget74 View Post

I've viewed your babies plenty of times already brother
Once I moved-in to my new place and decided to embark on HT journey, I'll visit your link again for inspiration

Over on this side of the globe, we only have the Signature and Classic finish on display.
Can only view the Macassar, Slate Grey, custom finish, etc from the net.



Yeah, I had to special order the Macassar. I too had to go off of pictures on the net to make that decision. Of course, I have no regrets.

Congrats again on your new toys!
hifisponge is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2222 of 6602 Old 04-02-2008, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by widget74 View Post

Greeting from sunny Singapore.
My first post here.

Got myself a pair of 1027Be in classic finish for the past 1 month.
Using it for my stereo set-up.
Also considering to use it for my HT set-up once I move in to my new place.

My rented place is a bit cramped so the speakers set-up is not at the optimal position.
Being a rented place, I also can't do much about room treatment.



To answer focalfan query, there are 2 shops that sell Focal products in S'pore.
The 1027Be is going for S$8.8k while the bigger 1037Be is going for around S$13k.
Not sure about their other series.

Very nice setup widget. It looks very well thought out. I have never heard of your electronics though. I am sure that the entire combo sounds great. I also just came back from Sinapore. I was on vacation. It was warm but a very nice place to visit. I have had the 1027's for a while now and I really like them allot. Again, Congrats on a great system.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #2223 of 6602 Old 04-02-2008, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUF100 View Post

Hello guys and gals,

I have the electra 1027 be and 1000 be center and are looking for a good cheap surround speakers. I have angled ceilings on three sides and can't mount to them. I need something that can mount on a stand. These are just to hold me over until I can buy the other focal be's later down the road when I have more money. Prefer to spend 500 to 1000. Please feel free to offer any suggestions!

The other question is what crossover point are you guys using with the electra be? My receiver can do 50hz and then 80hz. It is a pioneer lx60(94 in us). The sub is the svs pb ultra 13.

I mainly use for HT and Gaming.

Thanks for any help provided

Deno was partially correct. I use older Polk RT-3's as my surrounds. I have had them for a long time now, and they do fit the system quite nicely.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #2224 of 6602 Old 04-02-2008, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by widget74 View Post

Very observant of you bool.
Indeed I am using Anti-cables.

As I'm still running-in the speakers, I decided to make do with the Anti-cables at the moment.
Once the speakers have been properly break-in, then come another headache of choosing the right speaker cables.

You guys have any suggestions?
At least I know what cables are you guys using for your Focal and I can test it on my system whether I like the sound or not.


I am using older Transparent audio cables. They work very well IMO. I am sure that high quality cables like Kubala Sosna or Jenna Labs would be fine as well. If you like, you can check post 2187 to see my setup with the 1027's.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #2225 of 6602 Old 04-02-2008, 06:07 AM
Newbie
 
widget74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sunny Singapore
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Very nice setup widget. It looks very well thought out. I have never heard of your electronics though. I am sure that the entire combo sounds great. I also just came back from Sinapore. I was on vacation. It was warm but a very nice place to visit. I have had the 1027's for a while now and I really like them allot. Again, Congrats on a great system.

Thanks for your compliment Mike.
I hope you had a splendid time while you were in S'pore.

As for the 2 high-end cables that you've suggested, i.e. Kubala Sosna and Jenna Labs, I've read about them in the net but still haven't come across and hear them in action.
They are highly recommended by quite a few high-end audiophiles in the neighbouring country of Malaysia.
Maybe will try searching for them in 1-2 months time when my Focal has been properly run-in.

Cheers
widget74 is offline  
post #2226 of 6602 Old 04-02-2008, 06:26 AM
Member
 
bool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Yorkville
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Widget-

What is your opinion of the Anti-Cables? I bought a set of 3 cables for the F/R/C speakers. I bought these b/c of the price and the fact they were listed on the Absolute Sound recommended gear list. They sound good to me, at least better than the old CL3 rated Audioquest stuff I was using.

I love this stuff!
bool is offline  
post #2227 of 6602 Old 04-02-2008, 08:31 AM
Member
 
acopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chatham, ON
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bool View Post

Widget-


While very happy with my Profiles, I just love the look of those Electras. As much as I am tempted, I just can't drop $10K+ on a 3 channel setup.....but I digress.

I have had the P2 for a few days now and it really helps get the sound out of the 918s. Did not notice too much of a difference btw the MPS-1 and the P2 initially, but I just switched back and there is a definite difference. Midrange seems richer and the soundstage is wider. Instruments seem "placed" on good jazz recordings and rock and electronic/dance music sound great too. There is also a definite improvement in sound, going back to back from a CD thru 2-channel to a ripped iTunes copy, that I never really noticed before. iTunes is convienient, but now I know I am missing things. The Emotiva did match up well, but the P2 is better. Still, for the money, it is hard to beat the Emotiva MPS-1.
.


I've actually never listened to my Profile's with them OFF...maybe I should try myself....see if there is any weakness in that mid/low treble. Thats good that you get a bit of improvement.

That P2 looks like one helluva'n amp. It must make the speakers sound awesome.
...a little jealous here.
acopeman is offline  
post #2228 of 6602 Old 04-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Newbie
 
RUF100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thx to mikeduke and denophile for your answers. I really appreciate it!

What are you guys running your 1027 at, large or small with a crossover?

Every time I do the MCACC on my pioneer it says that my center(cc1000be) is large. Would you run the center large and do the x-over at 50hz for the surrounds? The reason I ask is the pioneer x-over does one setting for all speakers not individually.
RUF100 is offline  
post #2229 of 6602 Old 04-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Member
 
bool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Yorkville
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I run my 908cc Profile on large setting. I would think that beefy 1000be would be ok at that setting too.

I love this stuff!
bool is offline  
post #2230 of 6602 Old 04-02-2008, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUF100 View Post

Thx to mikeduke and denophile for your answers. I really appreciate it!

What are you guys running your 1027 at, large or small with a crossover?

Every time I do the MCACC on my pioneer it says that my center(cc1000be) is large. Would you run the center large and do the x-over at 50hz for the surrounds? The reason I ask is the pioneer x-over does one setting for all speakers not individually.

I honestly forget. I need to check. I will let you know when I can.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #2231 of 6602 Old 04-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Member
 
acopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chatham, ON
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bool View Post

I run my 908cc Profile on large setting. I would think that beefy 1000be would be ok at that setting too.

As do I....
acopeman is offline  
post #2232 of 6602 Old 04-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Newbie
 
widget74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sunny Singapore
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bool View Post

Widget-

What is your opinion of the Anti-Cables? I bought a set of 3 cables for the F/R/C speakers. I bought these b/c of the price and the fact they were listed on the Absolute Sound recommended gear list. They sound good to me, at least better than the old CL3 rated Audioquest stuff I was using.

The reason I'm using the Anti-cables is that I got them fairly cheap from a 2nd-hand market.
My first impression on the cables is fairly good, considering their low retail price.
The bass is tighter and the high is cleaner, in comparison against of-the-reel Belden 1313A cable.
widget74 is offline  
post #2233 of 6602 Old 04-02-2008, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Denophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by widget74 View Post

Very observant of you bool.
headache of choosing the right speaker cables.

You guys have any suggestions?
At least I know what cables are you guys using for your Focal and I can test it on my system whether I like the sound or not.

I have kimber cable 8tc cables between the sunfire and the 1027's. I briefly had some audioquest type 8's that were somewhat euphonic by comparison to the 8tc's I believe but didn't sound bad at all. if you do change them out I would be curious what you think of the comparison to the anti cables. either they have fantastic advertising or they are just on to something special...

People have recommended nordost and others when this has come up in the past on this forum. people have used a variety of cables with good success as I recall.
Denophile is offline  
post #2234 of 6602 Old 04-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Newbie
 
nhmuscles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have the sib and cub, i got from tweeter. I am looking to take advantage of their one year trde up policy, however my budget is very limited right now. With that in mind i was considering getting 4 806vb's along with the cc800vb. And a klipsch reference rw-12d for a sub. I will continue using my yamaha rxv-2700 receiver. Do you think this is a worthwhile upgrade? Any changes you would recommend?
Also a question for denonphile, I notice you are from nh. Wondering if you could recommend anyplace besides tweeter to look at more gear.
nhmuscles is offline  
post #2235 of 6602 Old 04-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Newbie
 
widget74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sunny Singapore
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile View Post

I have kimber cable 8tc cables between the sunfire and the 1027's. I briefly had some audioquest type 8's that were somewhat euphonic by comparison to the 8tc's I believe but didn't sound bad at all. if you do change them out I would be curious what you think of the comparison to the anti cables. either they have fantastic advertising or they are just on to something special...

People have recommended nordost and others when this has come up in the past on this forum. people have used a variety of cables with good success as I recall.

Thanks Denophile.
Some cables that I've already in mind are Nordost Red Dawn, Stereovox Firebird and AudioNote SPa.
I've listen to AN SPa at my dealer's place connecting the 1027Be with Karan integrated. Considering than AN SPa is pure silver, I did not find any generalization that is normally thrown at silver cables, i.e. bright treble, not enough bass, etc.
My Nordost dealer recommends the Red Dawn but they don't have any for me to home audition and considering that the speakers are not properly run-in yet, I decided to wait first before I start hunting for speaker cables.

About the Anti-cables, I'm not sure if I'll buy them at retail price but since it was fairly affordable from the 2nd-hand market, I won't be losing much if I decides to let it go.
widget74 is offline  
post #2236 of 6602 Old 04-03-2008, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmuscles View Post

I currently have the sib and cub, i got from tweeter. I am looking to take advantage of their one year trde up policy, however my budget is very limited right now. With that in mind i was considering getting 4 806vb's along with the cc800vb. And a klipsch reference rw-12d for a sub. I will continue using my yamaha rxv-2700 receiver. Do you think this is a worthwhile upgrade? Any changes you would recommend?
Also a question for denonphile, I notice you are from nh. Wondering if you could recommend anyplace besides tweeter to look at more gear.

I think that the upgrade path you have is a good one. The 806's should be a nice upgrade to the sib and that klipsch sub should be a good upgrade from the cub. The change should not be subtle.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #2237 of 6602 Old 04-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Member
 
acopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chatham, ON
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmuscles View Post

I currently have the sib and cub, i got from tweeter. I am looking to take advantage of their one year trde up policy, however my budget is very limited right now. With that in mind i was considering getting 4 806vb's along with the cc800vb. And a klipsch reference rw-12d for a sub. I will continue using my yamaha rxv-2700 receiver. Do you think this is a worthwhile upgrade? Any changes you would recommend?

Sounds good to me.
Are you going with 4 bookshelves because of budget? Or did you want floorstanders up front?
If so, you might consider the 714 or 716's. I had the Chorus "S" 714's and centre in a HT setup for a couple years and was quite satisfied. However that's what I started with so you may actually notice quite a difference coming from sib/cub. Of all the Focal lines the 700 and 800 are the most closely matched...they use almost identical materials for the tweeter/cones/drivers etc...
Staying in the 700 line could keep you on budget but upgrading to anything should prove to be quite rewarding. Let us know what you end up doing.
acopeman is offline  
post #2238 of 6602 Old 04-03-2008, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Denophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmuscles View Post

I currently have the sib and cub, i got from tweeter. I am looking to take advantage of their one year trde up policy, however my budget is very limited right now. With that in mind i was considering getting 4 806vb's along with the cc800vb. And a klipsch reference rw-12d for a sub. I will continue using my yamaha rxv-2700 receiver. Do you think this is a worthwhile upgrade? Any changes you would recommend?
Also a question for denonphile, I notice you are from nh. Wondering if you could recommend anyplace besides tweeter to look at more gear.

YES YES YES!!!

in derry there is a place called fidelis AV (fidelisav.com) is a genuine focal dealer and also sells a lot of other very very fine gear (BAT, triangle, basis,
quad, sonus faber). this dealership has been spoken of by sam tellig of stereophile fame many times and he gets some of his gear there.

there is also a high end dealer in nashua called ensemble (ensemble-hometheater.com) that does not sell focal but does sell b&w, thiel, rotel, classe, cary)

Additionally there is a very small dealership in hanover NH called the camera shop of hanover that sells b&w, audio research (i think), pathos and some others.

these are the only other high end dealers I know of (there are several in masachusetts as well but he tax is a ballbuster esp for high end stuff). if you have any other nh questions feel free to pm me!

I do think your trade up would provide a substantive improvement. i don;t know nothing about klipsch subs though. do they make bass "horns" ? just kidding..i;d use your ears to see how well they integrate with the choruses before you go with it though--never heard one myself.

good luck!
Denophile is offline  
post #2239 of 6602 Old 04-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Member
 
luser41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I'm the proud new owner of some 1027Be speakers. I love them so far but I've already learned more than I'd like about the build materials...



Whether I can get some resolution from the shipping carrier or not, the top glass will need to be replaced. Does anyone know if this is something they'll let me do myself and send me the parts?

It's going to stink if I have to ship the speaker around again to get it repaired.

Thanks for any input.
luser41 is offline  
post #2240 of 6602 Old 04-03-2008, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Denophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by luser41 View Post

Hi, I'm the proud new owner of some 1027Be speakers. I love them so far but I've already learned more than I'd like about the build materials...



Whether I can get some resolution from the shipping carrier or not, the top glass will need to be replaced. Does anyone know if this is something they'll let me do myself and send me the parts?

It's going to stink if I have to ship the speaker around again to get it repaired.

Thanks for any input.

no expert but i expect that they wil require at least the dealer to replace it and probably that they do it themselves. that sucks man, so sorry...
Denophile is offline  
post #2241 of 6602 Old 04-04-2008, 05:49 AM
Member
 
scorpio1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Eastern, PA
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would have probably died if I opened my box to find something like that. Sorry to see such a great speaker damaged from poor handling. Hope everything gets resolved for you quikcly and painlessly.
scorpio1 is offline  
post #2242 of 6602 Old 04-04-2008, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
When I got my 927's my dealer said that the box looked damaged. He did not even take delivery of them. He made them ship the speakers back and send me a new pair. I would be very surprised if you can't work something out with the dealer and JM(audio plus services).

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #2243 of 6602 Old 04-04-2008, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rydenfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sarasota, Fl
Posts: 3,312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Luser, if they were bought new you need to demand a new pair. If they were bought used, I hope they were insured.
rydenfan is offline  
post #2244 of 6602 Old 04-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Member
 
luser41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got them from a dealer, and made sure they were shipped fully insured as well. You can't be too careful. There wasn't any damage to the box so I'm not really sure how Fedex Ground managed to do that. I guess they dropped it on it's end fairly hard or something Most of the broken glass was caught in the top by the plastic around the speaker but there were little shards all over the place.

The dealer is already working on getting me a new replacement and the broken one will be picked up Monday. It sounds like I'll be without sound for a little while but such is life. At least the dealer is making things as easy as they can be made. I've certainly dealt with less helpful dealers.
luser41 is offline  
post #2245 of 6602 Old 04-04-2008, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by luser41 View Post

I got them from a dealer, and made sure they were shipped fully insured as well. You can't be too careful. There wasn't any damage to the box so I'm not really sure how Fedex Ground managed to do that. I guess they dropped it on it's end fairly hard or something Most of the broken glass was caught in the top by the plastic around the speaker but there were little shards all over the place.

The dealer is already working on getting me a new replacement and the broken one will be picked up Monday. It sounds like I'll be without sound for a little while but such is life. At least the dealer is making things as easy as they can be made. I've certainly dealt with less helpful dealers.

That is good to hear. I do know how you feel though. I waited a few weeks to get my 927be's. Then when they came in, which took a little bit of time, they had to get shipped back. Then they had to ship out another pair. The wait was tough, but in the end it all worked out. I am sure it will for you as well. Looking forward to your thoughts once you get them all connected. BTW, I have the 1027's also.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #2246 of 6602 Old 04-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Member
 
luser41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Does anyone have any recommendations for 3 or 5 channel amps they feel have (or don't have) synergy with the 1027s? I have a Krell kav-2250 for the front two but for the surrounds and center I'm currently using a Lexicon LX-5. I don't feel the Lexicon can get a grip on things the way the Krell does. It really does a wonderful job getting especially nice bottom end out of the Theil 2.3s I'm coming from. I'd prefer a 3 channel amp for the front 3 and to move the Krell to the back two surrounds, although that's probably overkill for the surrounds. My other option is to go with a really good 5 channel amp. I was looking at the titan but at 19 inches deep and 19 inches tall it's a bit large to keep in an apartment system. I'm not stuck on Krell but I'll probably use the one I have as a reference point.
luser41 is offline  
post #2247 of 6602 Old 04-04-2008, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
luser, I use Bryston with pretty good resluts. They make 3 and 5ch amps. You may also want to look into Parasound. They have a nice looking five channel amp. I also think that JM uses Halcro amps to voice their speakers so the MC50 or MC30 may be interesting. One more is Theta Digital. The Dreadnaught can be fitted for 3 or 5ch. I am pretty sure that it would be a good fit as well.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #2248 of 6602 Old 04-04-2008, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hifisponge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 7,516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by luser41 View Post

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Does anyone have any recommendations for 3 or 5 channel amps they feel have (or don't have) synergy with the 1027s? I have a Krell kav-2250 for the front two but for the surrounds and center I'm currently using a Lexicon LX-5. I don't feel the Lexicon can get a grip on things the way the Krell does. It really does a wonderful job getting especially nice bottom end out of the Theil 2.3s I'm coming from. I'd prefer a 3 channel amp for the front 3 and to move the Krell to the back two surrounds, although that's probably overkill for the surrounds. My other option is to go with a really good 5 channel amp. I was looking at the titan but at 19 inches deep and 19 inches tall it's a bit large to keep in an apartment system. I'm not stuck on Krell but I'll probably use the one I have as a reference point.

You could always go with the Sim Aurora. It's not small, but it is smaller than the Titan and it still has 200 WPC which is nothing to sneeze at.

The Bel Canto Ref 1000's have also been well received. They are mono amps, but they are tiny, so you could stack a few in the same space a single multichannel amp would take up. They're 500 WPC into 8 Ohms and 1000 WPC into 4 Ohms.

Say, I have a question for you. I have the LX-7. Can you go into more detail about your experience with the LX-5 as compared to the Krell? What do you mean when you say the LX-5 doesn't have the grip of the Krell? Is it just the bass, or do you hear a difference in the mids and treble too?
hifisponge is offline  
post #2249 of 6602 Old 04-06-2008, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUF100 View Post

Thx to mikeduke and denophile for your answers. I really appreciate it!

What are you guys running your 1027 at, large or small with a crossover?

Every time I do the MCACC on my pioneer it says that my center(cc1000be) is large. Would you run the center large and do the x-over at 50hz for the surrounds? The reason I ask is the pioneer x-over does one setting for all speakers not individually.

I checked my settings
I have Front, center, and surround set to small
Sub cross over at 80Hz
sub to yes

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #2250 of 6602 Old 04-07-2008, 12:35 AM
Newbie
 
fintheman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Could anyone tell me who I should contact in order to replace the tweeters on Profile 918's?

I bought them a lil rough and let's say that I came close to killing a cat.



The backstory:


I bought them from Tweeter in Franklin, TN for 300.00 with taxes - I decided to go into the store for the last 15 minutes it was open.

I had listened to the speakers a week before I thought they were the most marvelous sounding speakers I have ever listened to! I saw the "firesale" price of 2,200 for the pair. Suffice to say I did not care to purchase it until I saw that price.

One other question: I know some skilled refinishers that could do a nice job and have it painted an almost pearl white or a black identical to a car's paint job. Is this a no-no? Or should I leave it be with a rough edge or two on the tops?

Sorry for the questions and the pictures that will make you guys cringe. I was smart enough to pull up my mobile device - look at the MSRP and see the price and make an offer on the spot. I also know the right speakers will last and sound great forever so I just went with my gut feeling on them. From this thread and its reviews I feel like I made the right decision. I'm just waiting to find the right combo of a receive to hook them up too!
fintheman is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Focal , Focal 705v , Focal Chorus 836 V , Focal 716v Floor Standing Speakers , Focal 706v Chorus Loudspeakers , Focal Chorus 726v Floorstanding Speaker Light Walnut
Gear in this thread - 726v by PriceGrabber.com



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off