Revel Owners Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #361 of 7306 Old 12-31-2007, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ah, another satisfied Studio owner. Fantastic speakers. I own the same black on black Revels. BTW,you'll need to keep a dust rag handy. Are you going to be setting the Voice on a stand or using you av cabinet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 7306 Old 12-31-2007, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I emailed Revel hoping I would get some recommendation but their reply is not clear cut. I am still uncertain what improvement I would get from F32 over M22 or even F12 for 100 % HT use. The reply I got from Revel seem to suggest not a whole lot!! They also said I could mix and match any of the speakers from the Revel line. They are all timber matched. I still don't see any reason to spend more on F32/M22 over the F12. None of the dealer in greater DC area have the F12 set up for audition. As a matter of fact, none of them stock the F12, available only on order, which makes it difficult for me to choose.

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
post #363 of 7306 Old 12-31-2007, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall View Post

You will if you are properly acoustically treating the room. If you aren't then no speaker will sound it's best in there no matter what.

The most I could do is probably put a bass trap behind the speakers if that helps.

post #364 of 7306 Old 12-31-2007, 05:24 PM
Señor Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkledorf View Post

Ah, another satisfied Studio owner. Fantastic speakers. I own the same black on black Revels. BTW,you'll need to keep a dust rag handy. Are you going to be setting the Voice on a stand or using you av cabinet?

Yes they are great speakers and yes the piano gloss black is a PITA ... but nice to look at. I just ordered the Voice 2 today . It includes the stand but not sure if I'm going to use it at this point. Will try both configs.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #365 of 7306 Old 01-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

I emailed Revel hoping I would get some recommendation but their reply is not clear cut. I am still uncertain what improvement I would get from F32 over M22 or even F12 for 100 % HT use. The reply I got from Revel seem to suggest not a whole lot!! They also said I could mix and match any of the speakers from the Revel line. They are all timber matched. I still don't see any reason to spend more on F32/M22 over the F12. None of the dealer in greater DC area have the F12 set up for audition. As a matter of fact, none of them stock the F12, available only on order, which makes it difficult for me to choose.

It sounds as if the Revel folks were being very honest with you. You could always purchase the F12 with a caveat that if you don't like it within a reasonable time frame (30 days) then you could upgrade to the Performa's. If not, I'm sure you can find another dealer who will.

HToM

post #366 of 7306 Old 01-01-2008, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

It sounds as if the Revel folks were being very honest with you. You could always purchase the F12 with a caveat that if you don't like it within a reasonable time frame (30 days) then you could upgrade to the Performa's. If not, I'm sure you can find another dealer who will.

Well, I will throughly research all options when I get back from family vacation. I am off to sunny Dominican Republic tomorrow. Thank you all for your input. Happy New Year!!

post #367 of 7306 Old 01-02-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrebleVsBass View Post

I currently own M22s.
I run them with a sub and play them at moderate levels.
How much of an upgrade will the F52s be?

Do they sound significantly better?
I know they would extend deeper and play louder but I am more interested in the quality of the sound since I don't play loud and have a sub for the deep extension.

I am trying to choose between F52 and Focal 1027 Be.

Any feedback on these speakers is appreciated.

Thank you

Any help please?

There should at least be a few F52 owners out there or people who know about them...
post #368 of 7306 Old 01-02-2008, 09:31 AM

Liked: 14
I always liked those Revel plastic model cars.
post #369 of 7306 Old 01-02-2008, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm intested in Revel M22's and Focal 1007BE's. Man, those Revel's sure are a nice looking speaker. I almost think i like the cabinets on the M22's more than the Focal's..almost..heh. I haven;t been able to find a local Revel dealer to have a listen. Probably moot since where i work carry's Focal and there twice the money (list).

- Chip
post #370 of 7306 Old 01-02-2008, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Any help please?

There should at least be a few F52 owners out there or people who know about them...

The quality of the F52's is superior no doubt about that and you don't have to have them cranking to get very accurate, detailed sound with a wide soundstage.

The 52's are just a little too much speaker for my theater which is 19 x 16.5

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...he+Mickelodeon
post #371 of 7306 Old 01-02-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:

The quality of the F52's is superior no doubt about that and you don't have to have them cranking to get very accurate, detailed sound with a wide soundstage.

The 52's are just a little too much speaker for my theater which is 19 x 16.5

F52s would go to my living room which is smaller than yours.... 19 x 13
But it is right in the center openning to dining room and living room which double the area.

How would you characterize the sound of the m22 to the f52? (besides the deeper bass extension) Even a comparison between f32 and f52 would be fine. I would like to know what the different tweeter and its housing on the f52 offer to the sound.

Thanks
post #372 of 7306 Old 01-02-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

FWIW, I have both the M12s and the M22s, and while the M22s are IMO a better speaker, it is certainly not any big, dramatic night and day kind of difference by any means.

I'm running one surround system with M22s as mains with a C12 for a CC and S12s for surrounds, and it is most definitely not an obvious, noticeable mis-match.

As always, YMMV.
post #373 of 7306 Old 01-03-2008, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But it is right in the center openning to dining room and living room which double the area.

How would you characterize the sound of the m22 to the f52? (besides the deeper bass extension) Even a comparison between f32 and f52 would be fine. I would like to know what the different tweeter and its housing on the f52 offer to the sound.

Thanks

I would say that the F52 compared to the M22 is fuller in the midrange as well as the deep bass. But then I think you would expect them to be. That said it amazes me what the M22's can do. Are you looking at these as your Main speakers or part of a 5.1 or 7.1 or what?

McCall
post #374 of 7306 Old 01-03-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:

Thanks

Quote:

I would say that the F52 compared to the M22 is fuller in the midrange as well as the deep bass. But then I think you would expect them to be. That said it amazes me what the M22's can do. Are you looking at these as your Main speakers or part of a 5.1 or 7.1 or what?

It will be a 5.1. If I go with the F52s, they will be accompanied by a c52 and a pair of m22s.
What do you mean by "fuller" sound in midrange and bass? Does that mean richer, more musical, more blended as opposed to higher resolution?
Thanks
post #375 of 7306 Old 01-03-2008, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It will be a 5.1. If I go with the F52s, they will be accompanied by a c52 and a pair of m22s.
What do you mean by "fuller" sound in midrange and bass? Does that mean richer, more musical, more blended as opposed to higher resolution?
Thanks

Yes I would say richer and more musical but no loss of clarity or accuracy.
Of course the best way is to listen to them yourself, preferably in your own setting. Where are you? do you have a dealer that will let you demo a pair?

McCall
post #376 of 7306 Old 01-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Thanks

TVB:

I own both the F52s and the M22s and have auditioned the F32s extensively. Let me start by saying comparing the F52s to the M22s is difficult because the F52s do everything better. The M22s do not have the detail in the treble and mids and they do not have anywhere near the low end ability of the F52s. I am sorry there is just no way a bookshelf speaker is going to be able to do what a ~ full-range speaker can. Physics is at play. I actually considered selling my F52s awhile back. They were on Audiogon and I even had an agreement in principle with a buyer. The night I was to make plans for the buyer to come an get them, I spent about two hours comparing them with the M22s and there was just no contest. The mid-range on the F52 is seamless and full, the treble detail is pristine and the bass is controlled and fluid. The M22 does all of these things well, but doesn't have the fullness of sound, bass extension and, most importantly, the treble detail. The high detail is where the decision was made to keep the F52s. The resolution was so much better that I knew I was making a mistake selling them. Let me tell you, this was not an easy decision. I was going to be able to keep my Revel System in tact (albeit without the F52s), but more importantly was going to be able to bring $4,000 back into the family coffers. As much as I wanted to believe I would be happy with the M22s, there was just no way. As far as the F32's go, definitely give them a listen. They again do not have the same tweeter/waveguide the F52s have, but they are hands down the best mid-tower speaker I have ever heard. Someone is selling a pair of these things on audiogon for 2K. That, my friend, is a steal for the kind of quality you are getting. Also, just so you know, my dedicated HT/media room is 16' x 14'.

Best of luck,

John
post #377 of 7306 Old 01-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Señor Member

I just parted with the last of my Performa speakers (C52). It was the Performa's that made me a Revel convert and based upon my enjoyment of them, I suppose it was only a matter of time before I had to explore the Ultima line. In the last month I have replaced the LCR (I've had Embrace surrounds for a bit longer) speakers in my system. The new additions are Ultima Studios and the Voice2 center. Without getting too flowery in my description, my system now sounds like I have always wanted it to sound. Combined with capable power, good source material and player, these speakers achieve levels of clarity and definition that you have to hear to understand. I agree that the law of diminishing returns applies to audio, but I will say that the view from the top of the mountain is very nice.

HToM

post #378 of 7306 Old 01-09-2008, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

I just parted with the last of my Performa speakers (C52). It was the Performa's that made me a Revel convert and based upon my enjoyment of them, I suppose it was only a matter of time before I had to explore the Ultima line. In the last month I have replaced the LCR (I've had Embrace surrounds for a bit longer) speakers in my system. The new additions are Ultima Studios and the Voice2 center. Without getting too flowery in my description, my system now sounds like I have always wanted it to sound. Combined with capable power, good source material and player, these speakers achieve levels of clarity and definition that you have to hear to understand. I agree that the law of diminishing returns applies to audio, but I will say that the view from the top of the mountain is very nice.

What a very neat set up you have.I have the new Ultima2 Salons and I am using the old Voice with them and the combination sounds to me at least,to be very satisfactory.Have you found any major difference in the new and old Voice?
post #379 of 7306 Old 01-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwynwilliams View Post

What a very neat set up you have.I have the new Ultima2 Salons and I am using the old Voice with them and the combination sounds to me at least,to be very satisfactory.Have you found any major difference in the new and old Voice?

Thanks, my impression of the original Voice was very positive but I only owned it for a couple of weeks as I could not make it work (size wise) in my previous non-dedicated family room space and sold it. Regarding your Ultima2 Salons, I had a chance to spend some time with a well setup pair and they were without a doubt the best sounding loudspeakers I have ever heard.

The new Voice2 seems to blend very nicely with the Studios. Revel maintains that their speakers are similarly voiced and you can mix and match to a certain degree. Now, if I can just locate another pair of Embraces to fill out the 7.1.

HToM

post #380 of 7306 Old 01-14-2008, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Nice setup RMK! I admire the Voice2 the most and I'm glad to hear it was a noticeable improvement from the Voice1. That's one pricey center, but at least you should have confidence to know you have the best. I'm glad Revel went all out on their Ultima2 center channel speaker, considering it's arguably the most important piece of a home theater setup.

Seeking advice & opinions on Gem2 + Voice2 setup for movies and occasional music:
I read this entire thread and I haven't heard anyone comment on their experiences with the Gem2 yet. Personally, I think it's a beautiful piece. I'm contemplating theGem2 for my fronts and surrounds, along with the optional stand, and the Voice2 with stand. I just don't want to deal with the heavy Salon2 or Studio2, and I don't care for their looks either (no offense to current owners). Now to have top quality fronts and surrounds while only weighing in at only 38 lbs would be godsend, IMO.

I plan on using an Elite Pioneer receiver to power everything, which provides 130w per channel. Would this be sufficient? If possible, I would prefer omitting an amp and all that jazz. I'd rather keep it simple and power all with one receiver. I don't need loud (I want accurate perfection), but I notice these Ultima2s have low frequency inputs and high frequency inputs. For accurate sound, can I just run speaker wire from my receiver to these Ultima2s without bi-wiring?

I also plan on setting my crossover to 80Hz, subs will be Genesis ServoSub 4/8. (ya, I know the SVS PB13-Ultra will hit harder and lower, but it's size and weight are a big turn off).

Keep in mind that my home theater room is 8300 cubic feet.

Thanks in advance for any opinions you can provide. I'm hesitant to rely on dealers' suggestions because I'm concerned that they'll just tell me what I want to hear to close a sale.
post #381 of 7306 Old 01-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-Geo View Post

Nice setup RMK! I admire the Voice2 the most and I’m glad to hear it was a noticeable improvement from the Voice1. That’s one pricey center, but at least you should have confidence to know you have the best. I’m glad Revel went all out on their Ultima2 center channel speaker, considering it’s arguably the most important piece of a home theater setup.

Seeking advice & opinions on Gem2 + Voice2 setup for movies and occasional music:
I read this entire thread and I haven’t heard anyone comment on their experiences with the Gem2 yet. Personally, I think it’s a beautiful piece. I’m contemplating theGem2 for my fronts and surrounds, along with the optional stand, and the Voice2 with stand. I just don’t want to deal with the heavy Salon2 or Studio2, and I don’t care for their looks either (no offense to current owners). Now to have top quality fronts and surrounds while only weighing in at only 38 lbs would be godsend, IMO.

I plan on using an Elite Pioneer receiver to power everything, which provides 130w per channel. Would this be sufficient? If possible, I would prefer omitting an amp and all that jazz. I’d rather keep it simple and power all with one receiver. I don’t need loud (I want accurate perfection), but I notice these Ultima2s have low frequency inputs and high frequency inputs. For accurate sound, can I just run speaker wire from my receiver to these Ultima2s without bi-wiring?

I also plan on setting my crossover to 80Hz, subs will be Genesis ServoSub 4/8. (ya, I know the SVS PB13-Ultra will hit harder and lower, but it's size and weight are a big turn off).

Keep in mind that my home theater room is 8300 cubic feet.

Thanks in advance for any opinions you can provide. I'm hesitant to rely on dealers' suggestions because I'm concerned that they'll just tell me what I want to hear to close a sale.

Thanks, the Ultima Voice2 is an excellent center and I'm very happy with it. As I recall the Voice1 was also very good.

As you know, that is a large space to fill with sound. For HT I might go with the Studio or even the Salons in a room that size. The Gems would make great surround speakers. I would also go separates and choose a high current SS amp and SSP. Of course, if you like to listen at more safe and sane levels your Gem/AVR plan might work out great.

HToM

post #382 of 7306 Old 01-20-2008, 04:36 PM

Liked: 13
I was wondering if anyone is using tubes for their Revels. Maybe tube pre with ss amp or ss pre with a tube amp. If you are, I would like to know what you think.
post #383 of 7306 Old 01-20-2008, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

What speaker cables and interconnects are you using with your Revels? Looking to upgrade my cables from Ixos and Monster to something better.

post #384 of 7306 Old 01-23-2008, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Will Revel release new wood colors for the Ultima2 line in the coming year? I'd possibly rather have a darker wood than mahogany, like rosewood. Perhaps someone may remember if the many colors that were available for the Ultima1 series were initially available at launch or if they were released periodically over the years.

If Revel will potentially release new colors for the Ultima2 then I may wait.
post #385 of 7306 Old 01-26-2008, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Now that the Ultima2 has been released, what is Revel working on? I believe Kevin Voecks said in an interview that they like to revisit speakers every 4 to 5 years.

My guess is that they're going to be turning their attention to Performa again. The F32 & C32 don't have the waveguide and are about a 4 year old design.

Does anyone know for sure what's next?
post #386 of 7306 Old 01-31-2008, 04:22 PM

Well I just bought the F32's and should receive them in about a week.
My next question is can anyone compare the c32 and the C52.
I really was looking to get the 52 becuase of the tweeter but have not heard either. Should I just stick with the C32 center to match the L/F or is the C52 worth the extra cost........I can hardly sleep at night thinking of the 32's arriving.
post #387 of 7306 Old 02-04-2008, 06:56 AM
Señor Member

I am going from a 5.1 to a 7.1 setup in my HT. Currently I have the Embrace surrounds on the back wall only. In the Revel Embrace manual, it suggests an alternative 7.1 placement for the surrounds on the ceiling (with ceiling mount kit) and back wall as opposed to the side walls and back wall. The ceiling placement would work better for me as I have an irregular shaped room with un-equal distances from the side walls to the listening positions.

Has anyone used ceiling placement for their Embrace surrounds?

HToM

post #388 of 7306 Old 02-06-2008, 12:35 PM

I am picking up my yamaha 3800 and F32's tomorrow but question I have is those that have the 32's or 52's what Amp are you using and what have you heard that have liked. I have been looking on audigon for used parasound hca2205 or anthem mca30 or so and really looking for peoples opinions on a reasonble amp ($under 1500). preferable 3c since the C52 is my next purchase
Joe
post #389 of 7306 Old 02-06-2008, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeycicero View Post

I am picking up my yamaha 3800 and F32's tomorrow but question I have is those that have the 32's or 52's what Amp are you using and what have you heard that have liked. I have been looking on audigon for used parasound hca2205 or anthem mca30 or so and really looking for peoples opinions on a reasonble amp ($under 1500). preferable 3c since the C52 is my next purchase
Joe

I use a Sherbourn. Nothing exotic about it, just a very capable 200WPC amp. The 5 channel model should be right in that $1.5k range. What size room and how loud do you tend to like to listen? The F32's aren't super efficient speakers.

Scott
post #390 of 7306 Old 02-06-2008, 02:11 PM

my room is 24 x 15 x 10 high and for music my wife and I do not listen at reference levels or anything really loud. As far as movies I would say probably not overly loud either since we are currently listening to movies via our panny plasma
Reply Speakers

Tags
Revel

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page