AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 206
[quote=lsdec;25006362][quote=denydog;24999226]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdec View Post

Also, just in comparing my F208 to the Focal 1028Be and 1038Be and Studio2, there is another level of fidelity in those speakers that the F208 as good as it is doesn't achieve.

Listening to my friends 1038Be's, those focals are a sweet sounding speaker.
Extremely clean. It seems the 1038Be's would compete directly with the Studio2's. I think Performa and Salons can be driver harder than Focals.

There seems to be some good deals to be had on Ultima's (I am thinking D-something )
You can likely get Studio2's for less than 1038Be's.
Of course, I would stretch my budget a few K and go for Salon2's. Subs become optional

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7142 of 7166 Old 06-16-2014, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Stereophile ratings

Stereophile claims that performance is the (only) criteria for determining class designation. KEF LS50 is one of a couple lower cost speakers in class A. I've heard the LS50 and it does sound nice, along with getting great reviews, but to think it out performs all the speakers in class B seems a stretch to me. Judging by performance alone still leaves a lot of wiggle room. Stereophile defines performance as accuracy of reproduction, but how that is determined I'm not sure. It doesn't look like they just look at the frequency response and call it a day.

Along with the F208 review in the current Stereophile issue is a review of the two-way floor standing Joseph Audio Perspective ($12999). It is basically a tower version of the stand mounted Joseph Audio Pulsar ($7,000) which is already rated as class A. I could predict that the Perspective will be assigned class A as well, though judging just by the F208 and Perspective Stereophile reviews, I'd think they performed similarly with the Perspective maybe having less bass extension.

As stated on the Joseph Audio review, there is a lot of competition among high-performance tower speakers. They specifically mention the Revel F208, along with Monitor Audio PL200, PSB's Synchrony 1, and the Vandersteen Treo. I would add Wharfedale Jade 7, Aerial 7T, and the newish Focal Arias with the flax cone drivers. Each of these has flaws, but there is a lot of good sound to choose from at relatively attainable prices.

The step up from this group (which I can't afford) is defined I think in large part by better berrilium and ribbon tweeters, as well as heavier cabinets, and higher quality crossover components.

I think the Revel F208 is in a sweet spot, price and performance wise. I can also say I haven't looked back on my choice, as I keep eyes/ears on future developments in speaker refinement.
post #7143 of 7166 Old 06-16-2014, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
[quote=RichB;25007018][quote=lsdec;25006362]
Quote:
Originally Posted by denydog View Post

Extremely clean. It seems the 1038Be's would compete directly with the Studio2's. I think Performa and Salons can be driver harder than Focals.

There seems to be some good deals to be had on Ultima's (I am thinking D-something )
Of course, I would stretch my budget a few K and go for Salon2's. Subs become optional

- Rich
The 1038Be and the 1028Be have new finishes that lower the price by 3k and 2k or something along those lines.

My buddy got his 1028Be in the mid 5k range. That combined with the JL F113 he got, I wouldn't be surprised if it compares to the Salon2s. It sounds so clear and tight, I can't imagine anyone wanting anything better.

Also the lower level Focals are not as good as the F208...not even close with its boomy bass. It's still a good speaker but not as good.
post #7144 of 7166 Old 06-17-2014, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Maybe they will just put it in "Class A" with one more $ sign than the Ultima2's

Last edited by riffer; 06-17-2014 at 06:04 AM. Reason: spelling
post #7145 of 7166 Old 06-17-2014, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I personally think the f208s are better performers than most of the Class A speakers. I won't be surprised if they make it class B, though.

I've noticed that, although there are some exceptions, speakers whose reviews are published with JA's spatially averaged in room response are more likely to be class A.
post #7146 of 7166 Old 06-17-2014, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticShrimp View Post
I personally think the f208s are better performers than most of the Class A speakers. I won't be surprised if they make it class B, though.

I've noticed that, although there are some exceptions, speakers whose reviews are published with JA's spatially averaged in room response are more likely to be class A.
I love my F208 but I'm a realist . Which speakers are they better than? Perhaps the B&W 800 diamond?
post #7147 of 7166 Old 06-17-2014, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 53
PBN Montana Loudspeakers

[quote=RichB;25007018][quote=lsdec;25006362]
Quote:
Originally Posted by denydog View Post

- Rich

Hey fellas,...anyone have any PBN Montana speakers? If not I suggest you guys take a look...although most people have never heard about them.

enjoy!
post #7148 of 7166 Old 06-17-2014, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=Deckard97;25051538][quote=RichB;25007018]
Quote:

Hey fellas,...anyone have any PBN Montana speakers? If not I suggest you guys take a look...although most people have never heard about them.

enjoy!
Do they market / promote their products? There are a million speaker companies.
post #7149 of 7166 Old 06-17-2014, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
I love my F208 but I'm a realist . Which speakers are they better than? Perhaps the B&W 800 diamond?
Nearly all of them from a technical standpoint.

I don't want to make any negative comparisons with speakers, especially of that cost. The more expensive the speakers someone owns the more likely he or she is to try and use the forums to justify their purchase to themselves. Inevitably feelings get hurt.

Suffice to say my original statement stands.
Deckard97 likes this.
post #7150 of 7166 Old 06-18-2014, 05:27 AM

[quote=lsdec;25051834][quote=Deckard97;25051538]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Do they market / promote their products? There are a million speaker companies.

PBN does not spend much on Marketing, I discovered them at a CES show 3 years ago.
http://www.pbnaudio.com/

Here's my pair- http://www.thesoundstation.com/pages/montana_eps2

Last edited by Deckard97; 06-18-2014 at 07:13 AM. Reason: incomplete
post #7151 of 7166 Old 06-18-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticShrimp View Post
I don't want to make any negative comparisons with speakers, especially of that cost. The more expensive the speakers someone owns the more likely he or she is to try and use the forums to justify their purchase to themselves. Inevitably feelings get hurt.
I agree. If the goal is to achieve something mellifluous, so many systems could accomplish that regardless of all the technical measurement.

All that matters is that it sounds good to you and you are willing to pay the price.

Some people are willing to pay $22,000 or $25,000.

Some people are only willing to pay $3,000 or $5,000.
Deckard97 likes this.
post #7152 of 7166 Old 06-19-2014, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

I thought it was based on listening to the class A speakers. I have only heard the Studio2 and none of the other ones so I couldn't say.

I do know that the studio2 and focal 1028be/1038be are both superior speakers to the F208...so perhaps the uber expensive speakers are superior in cost only to the studio2 and salon2.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter - the advertising dollars will have a big influence on what gets categorized where
post #7153 of 7166 Old 06-20-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I'm not so sure about the advert dollars because AFAIK the rankings are not based on one reviewer's opinion.
If it was based on Mike Fremer, all Wilson Audio would be in Class A Full-Range.
In fact JA points out some shortcomings in the Studio2 cabinetry resonance.

The last time I looked, the Studio2 was the cheapest speaker based on MSRP in Class A Full-Range.
Definitely not saying that Revel is superior or for everyone, obviously not.
For example, I've read several folks here praising Focal here.
I've heard the 1038Be's not extensively but enough to know that for me, the Studio2 is far more to my liking specifically the top end.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #7154 of 7166 Old 06-21-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
I'm not so sure about the advert dollars because AFAIK the rankings are not based on one reviewer's opinion.
If it was based on Mike Fremer, all Wilson Audio would be in Class A Full-Range.

The last time I looked, the Studio2 was the cheapest speaker based on MSRP in Class A Full-Range.
I've heard the 1038Be's not extensively but enough to know that for me, the Studio2 is far more to my liking specifically the top end.

Hi Milt
I heard the 1038Be's a couple years back, the dealer wanted $11K. The speakers were being fed by Krell Evolution Amplifiers and other flagship Krell electronics. The dealer wouldn't budge from my cousin's offer of $9000. We walked out and moved on...]

The Focal's sounded good, not $11k Good. But that's only my opinion....everyone's ears are different
post #7155 of 7166 Old 06-21-2014, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I think these speakers in the $5K-20K range sound really good. We can justify either way all day long.
post #7156 of 7166 Old 06-24-2014, 04:11 PM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 461
I ordered my speakers today. Very excited about owning some Performa3's.

post #7157 of 7166 Old 06-25-2014, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post

Congrats! Welcome to the club! Spin up some Yo-Yo Ma plays Ennio Morricone and you'll never look back!
zuluwalker likes this.
post #7158 of 7166 Old 06-26-2014, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

Good move! Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
zuluwalker likes this.
post #7159 of 7166 Old 07-03-2014, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Thanks Aaron for the extended demo on the Revel F208/C208 yesterday, very informative and enjoyable!
post #7160 of 7166 Old 07-03-2014, 07:27 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Agreed, the Studio2 is on another level then the F208. I'm using the F-208 as my left and right surround and the M-106 for rears. The addition of (2) Rhythm2 subwoofer's cost so much I thought it wise to try a less expensive route for surrounds. I'm thrilled with the Salon2 and Voice2 for fronts. I felt if I was considering the Studio2 I might as well go all the way and buy Revel's flagship, for my room.

The Gem2's would have pushed system to wonderful heights, but the outlay is quite high. I have found that adding the subs has been the most amazing compliment to system. I can only guess what 4 such subs would sound like. I've read 4 subs is a can't go wrong effort overall. It seems building a solid foundation makes for a airy sound that is profoundly kind to my ears. The upper frequencies and midrange create a beautifully effortless sound.

Whether my post is pertinent is debatable and may come off like I'm bragging but over decades of being and audiophile the slow climb to the top of one maker's line has had distinct advantages. When the Rhythm2 was released, I couldn't resist pairing two subs with my Salon2's. So far it's sound is what I imagine great sound to be for music and watching movies. A couple big facts, any signs of fatigue have vanished on most material. A dramatic sense of air and scale is injected into a massive sound stage like I've never heard before. Can't wait to calibrate the speakers and woofers with Audio Tools App and choose a microphone kit..

Does anyone have experience with this process or found that the roughly $1200 Mic Kit from Revel does the job anywhere near that of the $12,000 EQ and mic's. That's a big difference for gathering data for analysis and may only be needed for huge rooms..
post #7161 of 7166 Old 07-04-2014, 06:01 PM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirySound View Post
Agreed, the Studio2 is on another level then the F208. I'm using the F-208 as my left and right surround and the M-106 for rears. The addition of (2) Rhythm2 subwoofer's cost so much I thought it wise to try a less expensive route for surrounds. I'm thrilled with the Salon2 and Voice2 for fronts. I felt if I was considering the Studio2 I might as well go all the way and buy Revel's flagship, for my room.

The Gem2's would have pushed system to wonderful heights, but the outlay is quite high. I have found that adding the subs has been the most amazing compliment to system. I can only guess what 4 such subs would sound like. I've read 4 subs is a can't go wrong effort overall. It seems building a solid foundation makes for a airy sound that is profoundly kind to my ears. The upper frequencies and midrange create a beautifully effortless sound.

Whether my post is pertinent is debatable and may come off like I'm bragging but over decades of being and audiophile the slow climb to the top of one maker's line has had distinct advantages. When the Rhythm2 was released, I couldn't resist pairing two subs with my Salon2's. So far it's sound is what I imagine great sound to be for music and watching movies. A couple big facts, any signs of fatigue have vanished on most material. A dramatic sense of air and scale is injected into a massive sound stage like I've never heard before. Can't wait to calibrate the speakers and woofers with Audio Tools App and choose a microphone kit..

Does anyone have experience with this process or found that the roughly $1200 Mic Kit from Revel does the job anywhere near that of the $12,000 EQ and mic's. That's a big difference for gathering data for analysis and may only be needed for huge rooms..
I am inspired by your aspirations, and your follow through. Congrats on owning such a system. It is a shame that when someone has waited so long, and worked so hard to create their pinnacle system that they must wrap it in an apology. Those who have decided to make a purchase of flagship models are often sought out and ridiculed on AVS, for being naive and foolish.

Power to you. What an amazing system. It must be such a pleasure to listen to it, and to have waited and built the best gear up for your collection.

Last edited by zuluwalker; 07-04-2014 at 06:04 PM.
post #7162 of 7166 Old 07-06-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirySound View Post

I don't know anything about the Audio Tools App or the Revel Mic kit you refer to but you certainly don't come off as a bragger but simply someone who has spent a lot of time and hard-earned money to reach a level of sound reproduction that satisfies you.
Congratulations are in order.
I too have been a long time trekker on this path and have reached what I thought was the pinnacle a few times.
For me, the system I now have truly satisfies me and gives me pleasure every time I listen.
It's a very nice place to be.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #7163 of 7166 Old 07-08-2014, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I finally got around to taking some pics of my Ultima2 based 7.4 setup. Let me know what you think.

HtdHvy's (ever-evolving) Audiophile Home Theater Rig
zuluwalker likes this.

Revel Ultima2 Salon2 [pair] || Revel Ultima2 Voice2 || Revel Ultima2 Gem2 [quad] || JL Audio Fathom f212 [pair]
Mark Levinson No 502 || Bel Canto REF1000 [pair] || Rotel RB-1090 || Rotel RMB-1095 || Furman IT-Reference 20i

post #7164 of 7166 Old 07-08-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htdhvy View Post
I finally got around to taking some pics of my Ultima2 based 7.4 setup. Let me know what you think.

Nice system. Do you have four subs (7.4 system)?
post #7165 of 7166 Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post
Nice system. Do you have four subs (7.4 system)?
Thanks! It's actually 2 of the JL f212s but each one has two subs in it.
zuluwalker likes this.

Revel Ultima2 Salon2 [pair] || Revel Ultima2 Voice2 || Revel Ultima2 Gem2 [quad] || JL Audio Fathom f212 [pair]
Mark Levinson No 502 || Bel Canto REF1000 [pair] || Rotel RB-1090 || Rotel RMB-1095 || Furman IT-Reference 20i

post #7166 of 7166 Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Would any Performa3 owners in the US be willing PM me with their purchase price? Specifically F208.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Revel

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page