5Likes

post #7171 of 7176 Old Today, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post
Don't forget about room aesthetic and wife acceptance as well. Even if he could improve the sound 10% by doing those things, he may still choose NOT to do it for the sake of better room aesthetic and wife acceptance.

It's the same way with subwoofer placement. Sure, the best subwoofer placement may be right in the middle of the room. But would anyone place their subwoofer smack in the middle of the room?
Pretty much it. My loving lady has been tolerant of my indulgences, but i can't put speakers in the middle of the room or have subwoofers out in the open. The aesthetic of the room is important to me as well. This is the primary reason I'm considering doing a dedicated theater in the basement and moving all the toys there. The only problem is i spend most of my time on the main floor so I'm able to enjoy the system on a frequent basis.

Revel Ultima2 Salon2 [pair] || Revel Ultima2 Voice2 || Revel Ultima2 Gem2 [quad] || JL Audio Fathom f212 [pair]
Mark Levinson No 502 || Bel Canto REF1000 [pair] || Rotel RB-1090 || Rotel RMB-1095 || Furman IT-Reference 20i

HtdHvy's (ever-evolving) Audiophile Home Theater Rig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7172 of 7176 Old Today, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by htdhvy View Post
Thanks! It's actually 2 of the JL f212s but each one has two subs in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post
I think most people would consider that 7.2 because they are 2 cabinets.

For example, most people would consider a subwoofer with 3 woofers to be one subwoofer, not 3 subwoofers, because it is only a single cabinet.

A subwoofer with 3 woofers and 5,000 cubic inch of volume will not output more than a subwoofer with 1 woofer and 10,000 cubic inch of volume. The 5,000 cubic inch cabinet will output less bass.
AcuDefTechGuy is correct in what most would consider the setup. Even though the Fathom 212's have separate left and right inputs the drivers don't operate independently in each cabinet thus there are only 2 subwoofers even though you have 4 drivers. To be even more specific it's technically 7.1 as there is only ever a single LFE channel in a surround mix.

post #7173 of 7176 Old Today, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
AcuDefTechGuy is correct in what most would consider the setup. Even though the Fathom 212's have separate left and right inputs the drivers don't operate independently in each cabinet thus there are only 2 subwoofers even though you have 4 drivers. To be even more specific it's technically 7.1 as there is only ever a single LFE channel in a surround mix.
There are certainly a few ways to look at. Either way, it pounds like a rabid gorilla while remaining surprisingly tight and accurate.

Revel Ultima2 Salon2 [pair] || Revel Ultima2 Voice2 || Revel Ultima2 Gem2 [quad] || JL Audio Fathom f212 [pair]
Mark Levinson No 502 || Bel Canto REF1000 [pair] || Rotel RB-1090 || Rotel RMB-1095 || Furman IT-Reference 20i

post #7174 of 7176 Old Today, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Except when you say "7.1" people will then ask, "So do you only have 1 subwoofer?"

But when you say "7.4" people will realize that although there is only 1 LFE, the ".4" signifies that you have 4 subwoofers.
post #7175 of 7176 Old Today, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by htdhvy View Post
Pretty much it. My loving lady has been tolerant of my indulgences, but i can't put speakers in the middle of the room or have subwoofers out in the open. The aesthetic of the room is important to me as well. This is the primary reason I'm considering doing a dedicated theater in the basement and moving all the toys there. The only problem is i spend most of my time on the main floor so I'm able to enjoy the system on a frequent basis.
Just like even if acoustic sound panels improves the sound 10%, most people are not going to hang giant panels all over their rooms. They will just add rugs, carpets, sofas, pillows, drapes, curtains, paintings, etc.

Yeah. It looks great. It sounds great. Everyone is happy. Life is good. Enjoy. Right?

Like they always say in the medical field, treat the patient, not the lab numbers.

Last edited by AcuDefTechGuy; Today at 10:38 AM.
post #7176 of 7176 Old Today, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Very nice system and room, congrats. We don't see enough pics of Ultima systems posted.
Thanks so much! I swap out components quite a bit but I spent a number of months auditioning before landing on the Salon2s and i'm sure ill keep them for a very very long time, if not forever. They sound phenomenal.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Revel

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page