post #7201 of 7225 Old 07-20-2014, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post
Go for it. What could go wrong.
Good answer! I know I generally prefer to have others do the experimentation.

BTW, tweeter "protection" measures and their effect on sound is something I have wondered about in the past. I recall a few speaker reviews (of other brands) that showed measurable differences in level and response with protection removed, but these were, more or less, with screen type tweeter covers.

My own opinion is that removing the "wires" from the Studio2 tweeter would likely change the sound in some small way, but not to a degree that I would be able to hear. The F208's tweeter has a lot of hardware in front of the dome. I doubt it is there as a sound enhancer, but who knows.

Maybe revelman (Mark Glazer) is still reading this thread and will comment. On the other hand, it might be difficult for a Revel employee to endorse owner modifications to product.

Last edited by denydog; 07-20-2014 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Photo error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7202 of 7225 Old 07-20-2014, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutralguy View Post
Source? I am almost certain they do no such function. The waveguide is the curved faceplate, as it is in various JBL and Revel tweeter designs.
I'm very open to being wrong. However you will note that different Revel models have distinctively different "bars" in front of the tweeters. The Revel F32 and F52 as well as the C32 and C52 have completely different "bars" in front of them. The Ultima2 and Performa 3s had likewise different bars.

I'd suggest calling Revel or emailing Revel support directly for a definitive answer. Id tend to think that if it made a significant/audible difference then the "tweeter cover" would have been removeable.
post #7203 of 7225 Old 07-20-2014, 06:51 PM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
I'm very open to being wrong. However you will note that different Revel models have distinctively different "bars" in front of the tweeters. The Revel F32 and F52 as well as the C32 and C52 have completely different "bars" in front of them. The Ultima2 and Performa 3s had likewise different bars.

I'd suggest calling Revel or emailing Revel support directly for a definitive answer. Id tend to think that if it made a significant/audible difference then the "tweeter cover" would have been removeable.
I am with you.

But the question is not whether it would make a difference to remove it or keep it. The question is would it make a positive change to remove it. And I say try it if you want to know. But just like Thxtheater, I highly doubt that Revel stuck them their for anything but a positive effect. Kinda naive for anyone to believe they could better modify the speaker by removing such a portion of the wave guide. Then again, give it a shot. Why not? It is a free country and Salon speakers clearly must be a disposable item.

Last edited by zuluwalker; 07-20-2014 at 07:14 PM.
post #7204 of 7225 Old 07-20-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Question for Revel: Would removing those 2 wires in front of a Studio2/Salon2 speaker's tweeter make a noticeable or at least measurable improvement? I have no need for the protection offered by those wires, and I would imagine that they at least cause some diffraction which could hurt imaging.
Yeah why not?
I'm sure that Revel put those "wires" there for no good reason and you, being an acoustic engineer, have wisely concluded that they serve no purpose and in fact inhibit accurate imaging.
Hell it's only a teeny beryllium tweeter back there, it needs room to breathe.
Personally, I'd choose my 12" ChannelLocks and give em a good yank.
Good luck, Gomer and let us know how your before and after measurements stack up.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Last edited by Milt99; 07-20-2014 at 07:43 PM.
post #7205 of 7225 Old 07-21-2014, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
Yeah why not?
I'm sure that Revel put those "wires" there for no good reason and you, being an acoustic engineer, have wisely concluded that they serve no purpose and in fact inhibit accurate imaging.
Hell it's only a teeny beryllium tweeter back there, it needs room to breathe.
Personally, I'd choose my 12" ChannelLocks and give em a good yank.
Good luck, Gomer and let us know how your before and after measurements stack up.
Being satirical and calling the poster names won't contribute to a discussion, at least not after middle school. You have made no argument, but have only regurgitated a previously stated opinion, also without source.

On the other hand, Sound and Vision calls those wires "a two-wire guard" and likewise for this Perfoma model. They may not speak for Revel, but at least Revel has not disputed this magazine's claim.

So far this is not strong evidence for them being merely protective, but it is still more than the amount of evidence (zero) you have provided to the contrary.
post #7206 of 7225 Old 07-21-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 149
If they were simply guards I would think it would be simpler to make all the guards the same instead of making distinct looking guards for each tweeter model. I'm just guessing though.
post #7207 of 7225 Old 07-21-2014, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would leave the protection in place, as they (hopefully) were factored into the design and overall performance of the speaker.
post #7208 of 7225 Old 07-21-2014, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

metal guards

Someone want to contact Revel directly and just ask?

post #7209 of 7225 Old 07-21-2014, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
LOL..you guys are crazy .
post #7210 of 7225 Old 07-21-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
Someone want to contact Revel directly and just ask?
That would be too easy. Besides, what fun is there in that?
post #7211 of 7225 Old 07-21-2014, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Well guys I reached out to Revel. They told me that they had received 15 inquiries into what the bars were for. Okay, just kidding they haven't really received 15 inquiries. But, I was able to confirm that the speakers are designed as a complete system with the bar in place. Removing the bars will simply void your warranty and not give you any good acoustical benefit. So there you have it.
post #7212 of 7225 Old 07-21-2014, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 228
IMO the two wires on those revel tweeters are there to protect the tweeter or just for Aesthetic , but the ones on the revel performa 3 look that they are to enhance the high frequencies.if you remove those on the revel Performa 3 probably the top high frequencies roll off and could affect sound details.

This info may help you.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...ansen+speakers

Last edited by losservatore; 07-21-2014 at 10:48 PM.
post #7213 of 7225 Old 07-21-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
Thanks for the link. Hansen's statement does explain why those structures appears in front of metal domes and not soft domes. I agree with you that those 2 wires do not appear to be such a structure.

Thxtheater, thanks for checking with Revel.
post #7214 of 7225 Old 07-22-2014, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

I wanted to make sure I had permission to post the email response I got from Harman/Revel support. Now that I got the green light, here it is:

"The protective bars for the tweeters are both for protection and the finished speaker is optimized in terms of sound quality with these in use. All of our transducers are conceived and designed by the Harman Engineering team and built to those specifications.

Unfortunately the removal of the protective bars, and use of unauthorized parts will consequently void any implied warranties or certification of performance. Furthermore, our specifications as well as technical data are extended to the complete finished speaker."
post #7215 of 7225 Old 07-23-2014, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quick question. My new Revel Studio 2 in black should be here in a few more days. I am noticing where the speakers will be placed gets a considerable amount of sunlight. Is this OK? I don't want the sun to damage the finish or the drivers. I know some speaker companies offer covers. Any suggestions for protecting my speakers?
post #7216 of 7225 Old 07-23-2014, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post
Quick question. My new Revel Studio 2 in black should be here in a few more days. I am noticing where the speakers will be placed gets a considerable amount of sunlight. Is this OK? I don't want the sun to damage the finish or the drivers. I know some speaker companies offer covers. Any suggestions for protecting my speakers?
I'm not an expert enough to know about the UV effects on the finishes of speakers/pianos, etc. However, if you're concerned, I suggest putting a UV glaze on your windows. I've done that and no fading on furniture, rugs—nothing! It's fantastic and works without impeding sunlight and views.

post #7217 of 7225 Old 07-23-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Being satirical and calling the poster names won't contribute to a discussion, at least not after middle school. You have made no argument, but have only regurgitated a previously stated opinion, also without source.

On the other hand, Sound and Vision calls those wires "a two-wire guard" and likewise for this Perfoma model. They may not speak for Revel, but at least Revel has not disputed this magazine's claim.

So far this is not strong evidence for them being merely protective, but it is still more than the amount of evidence (zero) you have provided to the contrary.
Ok, I came crawling back to apologize for my snarky remark to your post, neutralguy.
My sincere apologies.
Totally unnecessary and unwarranted.
So here is how I should have responded to your query about the wires.
Leave the grills on, listen to the beautiful sounds coming out of your system and forget about the wires.
SyntheticShrimp likes this.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #7218 of 7225 Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
Ok, I came crawling back to apologize for my snarky remark to your post, neutralguy.
My sincere apologies.
Totally unnecessary and unwarranted.
So here is how I should have responded to your query about the wires.
Leave the grills on, listen to the beautiful sounds coming out of your system and forget about the wires.
Thanks for coming back to apologize. That's not easy to do and I respect that.
post #7219 of 7225 Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I prefer the sound with the grills off a lot more than the grills on. But I hate the look of it.
post #7220 of 7225 Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 461
How many owners have jumped in and gone all the way by buying a pair of Salon or Salon2's? And how many owners graduated from entry to flagship?

Were there reasons that you may share with us?

Last edited by zuluwalker; Yesterday at 12:56 PM.
post #7221 of 7225 Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I started off with a pair of Performa2 F52s. Loved them. I wondered if this is how good their mid level speakers are, how much better will the Salon2s be? Since I had a chance to get them at a very good price I jumped on it. As good as the F52s were, I wasn't all that thrilled about the looks. To me, the Salon2s are drop dead gorgeous and I was willing to pay the price just for the looks alone even if there was no improvement in SQ over the F52s. Fortunately for me, there was an improvement in sound, but it was not huge. I wasn't expecting it to be.

The F52s were already very good to me. Most noticeable improvement was the prodigious amounts of bass present in the Salon2s that was not there in the F52s. This is not surprising going from 6.5" to 8" bass drivers. The tweeters have better clarity, but the difference was not nearly as notable as the bass increase. Mids were similar. If there was an improvement I didn't notice it. The only downside of the upgrade was that my room is too small to do the Salon2s justice. They need to be farther away from boundaries than I can afford. In this respect, the F52s were better for my setup. I lost a little bit of expansiveness of my soundstage due to such a large speaker in a small-ish room.
post #7222 of 7225 Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
How many owners have jumped in and gone all the way by buying a pair of Salon or Salon2's? And how many owners graduated from entry to flagship?

Were there reasons that you may share with us?
I started out with Performa monitors. My previous rooms, price, and WAF were all factors in going to monitors. When I moved and put the setup in a larger room the monitors seemed to lack something. The top to bottom seamlessness, dynamics, and soundstage were good but I knew could be better. When I auditioned the salons after following them for a few years, the entire experience was awe inspiring. Dynamics, soundstage, bass response and the ability to hear instruments and not just sounds was a real revelation (no revel pun intended). That was it. I set my sights on the Studios or Salons and saved and saved and waited. I'll still be indebted to my wife 20 years from now, but worth every second of it. It's the first time in my life I've ever owned a speaker and never since had a single thought of "upgrading" to something else.
post #7223 of 7225 Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for coming back to apologize. That's not easy to do and I respect that.
I owed it to you.
Well the point is to not be a dork in the first place, right?
I still think you're nuts.

Last edited by Milt99; Yesterday at 07:58 PM.
post #7224 of 7225 Old Yesterday, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
How many owners have jumped in and gone all the way by buying a pair of Salon or Salon2's? Were there reasons that you may share with us?
zuluwalker meet ADTG.
ADTG, zulu.

I didn't go straight to the flagship but straight to the Studio2s.
I'm not sure I would buy a flagship anything, too expensive for the improvement, imo.

Last edited by Milt99; Yesterday at 08:01 PM.
post #7225 of 7225 Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Maybe I fit the description here? Does going from a iPhone Bose dock to Hegel H300 and Revel Studio 2's count as jumping in with both feet??

I love music and although I don't have the most diversified taste....I like what I like.

Why did I buy the Studio 2's? Initially my budget was about 5K for the entire system. Never thinking MSRP prices but preowned, so 3K speakers really should be 6-7K MSRP speakers. That opened the door a lot but I didn't love what I heard. Immediately thought maybe 5-6K would get me speakers that were originally 10-12K. I listened to the Focal 1038be (2nd choice), Salk SoundScape 8 (preowned although rare are about 6500) and Aerial 7T. Figured I better see what else is out there in that price range. Knew the Studios were considerably more but once I heard them I just knew if I bought something else I'd always be thinking of somehow getting the Studios.

It really came down to me really liking the sound of the Studios and knowing I'd regret not buying them. Then I'd have X speaker at home and immediately would be looking for preowned Studios.

The Hegel and Revel's will be coming Monday but I'll be out of town all week. Trying to keep things simple I bought a Salk StreamPlayer and will hook it up via USB to the Hegel. I'll use my Oppo bdp83 via optical for DVD and SACD playback. I am still pretty clueless when it comes to the different DAC settings, formats, etc.

Hopefully I won't have any desire to upgrade any of the components for a long time.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Revel

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page