post #7231 of 7235 Old 07-26-2014, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post
I am going to start all over with my music library in an attempt to get the best quality files so they sound good on the new system. I have a couple of questions. I can use either a Mac or PC to rip the CD's and then transfer to the Salk StreamPlayer. What program do you recommend to rip the CD's to the highest quality resolution? Then use mPad and mPod as the remote?

As for connections....I am going to buy a CD/DVD/BR player, to watch movies on in the family room and to listen to a few 5.1 and SACD mixes I have. Should I get the Oppo 105 or the 103? Is the DAC better in the Hegel or the Oppo?

I'm going to connect the StreamPlayer to the Salk via USB? How should I connect the Oppo...digitial/optical?

If I connect the Oppo via analog outs then I am not using the DAC in the Hegel?

Sorry for all the questions. Total digital newbie trying to make my new system as good as possible.

Thanks.
The highest quality rip will be CD quality. I've ripped all my CDs with iTunes in Apple lossless format so I'm getting bit for bit plus file size compression. You can drive yourself crazy on some of the theoretical CD stuff. My suggestion is see what file formats the server plays and then rip to the lossless format (FLAC or ALAC) and go from there. I use ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) because I can play it on iTunes and on my iOS devices natively. There is no quality difference between FLAC and ALAC.

Last edited by Thxtheater; 07-27-2014 at 05:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7232 of 7235 Old 07-26-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post
How many owners have jumped in and gone all the way by buying a pair of Salon or Salon2's? And how many owners graduated from entry to flagship?

Were there reasons that you may share with us?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
zuluwalker meet ADTG.
ADTG, zulu.

I didn't go straight to the flagship but straight to the Studio2s.
I'm not sure I would buy a flagship anything, too expensive for the improvement, imo.
Well, we all had to start somewhere.

At one point, I owned a Bose cube 2.1 setup.

But I quickly learned and stepped up to NHT my sophomore year.

During my junior year, I was more in fraternity parties and got a Definitive Technology BP7000SC + BP7001SC + CLR3000 + SC Trinity system.

But seriously, the Salon2 or Studio2 are awesome speakers. The speakers, amps, and processors we end up with has more to do with "fitting" our needs and applications, not because the speakers aren't awesome or other speakers are more superb.

Last edited by AcuDefTechGuy; 07-26-2014 at 04:56 PM.
post #7233 of 7235 Old 07-26-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post
I am going to start all over with my music library in an attempt to get the best quality files so they sound good on the new system. I have a couple of questions. I can use either a Mac or PC to rip the CD's and then transfer to the Salk StreamPlayer. What program do you recommend to rip the CD's to the highest quality resolution? Then use mPad and mPod as the remote?

As for connections....I am going to buy a CD/DVD/BR player, to watch movies on in the family room and to listen to a few 5.1 and SACD mixes I have. Should I get the Oppo 105 or the 103? Is the DAC better in the Hegel or the Oppo?

I'm going to connect the StreamPlayer to the Salk via USB? How should I connect the Oppo...digitial/optical?

If I connect the Oppo via analog outs then I am not using the DAC in the Hegel?

Sorry for all the questions. Total digital newbie trying to make my new system as good as possible.

Thanks.
Do not apologize for questions we all started from somewhere and I'd say you're off to a damn good start.
I don't know about MAC stuff only my experience with Windows.
For CDs DBPowerAmp is what I use.
For hi-res I use DVD Audio Extractor and DVDFab Passkey to bypass Blu-ray encryption.
Check out the Computer Audiophile web site for lots of good info.

As far as your Hegel and Salk Streamer all I can say is read the manuals.
Jim Salk is a great guy and will answer any of your questions about his gear.
Generally if you connect a source to a pre-amp etc. via analog, it will bypass the digital circuits but I briefly looked through the Hegel docs and it looks like
analog connections will still use their DAC-Loop circuit.
That Hegel is a really nice integrated amp.
Matched FETs, 10 per channel, a 1KVA power supply and decent capacitance.
Very solid. The Hegel integrated I heard some time ago was excellent.
Definitely not pedestrian gear.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #7234 of 7235 Old Today, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Inside that link it states "If you are brave enough, you can cut them off in two minutes and your system will sound much sweeter and smoother in the high frequencies."

OMG, as crazy as it sounded in the beginning of this topic, is so tempting to try on my 208s...

post #7235 of 7235 Old Today, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
IMO the two wires on those revel tweeters are there to protect the tweeter or just for Aesthetic , but the ones on the revel performa 3 look that they are to enhance the high frequencies.if you remove those on the revel Performa 3 probably the top high frequencies roll off and could affect sound details.

This info may help you.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...ansen+speakers
Sorry I messed up my last post. Concerning this one, it states in the link

"If you are brave enough, you can cut them off in two minutes and your system will sound much sweeter and smoother in the high frequencies."

Very tempting!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Revel

User Tag List