Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylbarnes View Post
Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to join the Revel club, and had a question for you current owners. I'm debating the F206 vs F208. I'm going through the specs, and I don't see a big list of differences. I see the bigger driver on the F208. I see the F208 is bi-wireable/bi-ampable.

Being that I will have a dedicated subwoofer for the room (Outlaw LFM-1 EX), is the F208 worth the upgrade? I can afford the extra 1500, but if it's not that big of a difference, I'd rather save the money. Have you guys listened to both in A/B testing? Is the F208 that much better?
First it should be less than 1500 as you should get 20%+ retail. And yes, the F208 is worth the difference.

I heard them side by side and F208 and Studio2 side by side. The lack of compression and the dynamics you get from a larger cabinet was worth it for me. F208 and Studio2 are similar in size and "look" more imposing too than the F206. F206 is great in it's own regard no doubt and with a sub like the JL F113 probably sound very similar to the F208 but if you can spend the extra, it's just worth doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7322 of 7333 Old 09-18-2014, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdec View Post
First it should be less than 1500 as you should get 20%+ retail. And yes, the F208 is worth the difference.

I heard them side by side and F208 and Studio2 side by side. The lack of compression and the dynamics you get from a larger cabinet was worth it for me. F208 and Studio2 are similar in size and "look" more imposing too than the F206. F206 is great in it's own regard no doubt and with a sub like the JL F113 probably sound very similar to the F208 but if you can spend the extra, it's just worth doing.
Cool, thanks. Did you notice a big difference in the mid range and highs? With a dedicated subwoofer in the room, I imagine the lows won't be all that different. Now without a sub, I agree that the F208 would blow away the F206 in the lows.
post #7323 of 7333 Old 09-18-2014, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Cool, thanks. Did you notice a big difference in the mid range and highs? With a dedicated subwoofer in the room, I imagine the lows won't be all that different. Now without a sub, I agree that the F208 would blow away the F206 in the lows.
I think it really matters how good the sub is how well it's integrated.

They are using the same tweeter and mid-range so you are paying extra for the larger cabinet and larger woofers (and some level controls and bi-amp capability).

I think it might be better if you listened to them yourself if you haven't already. When I heard them side by side the F208 was easily worth the additional cost.

The F208's bass is very solid so if the sub is not the same quality as the F208, then it's better not using them for music. Just movies.
post #7324 of 7333 Old 09-18-2014, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
A few questions to previous posters:
Someone thinks that Revel bases their speaker development cycle on Stereophile's Recommended Components?
Yes.

"Stereophile drops a product from 'Recommended Components' after three years, even if the product leads the field in sound quality. That got us thinking at Revel about introducing a newer version of the Salon."
post #7325 of 7333 Old 09-18-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to join the Revel club, and had a question for you current owners. I'm debating the F206 vs F208. I'm going through the specs, and I don't see a big list of differences. I see the bigger driver on the F208. I see the F208 is bi-wireable/bi-ampable.

Being that I will have a dedicated subwoofer for the room (Outlaw LFM-1 EX), is the F208 worth the upgrade? I can afford the extra 1500, but if it's not that big of a difference, I'd rather save the money. Have you guys listened to both in A/B testing? Is the F208 that much better?
If the extra money is no problem, I would absolutely go for the F208s without question.
Trust me, 6 months from now you'll be happy you did.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #7326 of 7333 Old 09-18-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

OK believe what you want.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Last edited by Milt99; 09-19-2014 at 06:19 PM.
post #7327 of 7333 Old 09-19-2014, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by denydog View Post
I assume the Joseph Audio Perspective went to class A.
You got it.

Theater room: Sony VPL HW30ES, DIY 100" screen with Seymour Centerstage XD, 5 Revel M105, 2 JBL Studio 210, 4 SVS SB12-NSD, Anthem MRX-300
Living room: Panasonic TC-P60VT60, 3 KEF LS50, Pioneer SW-8, Marantz NR1603
post #7328 of 7333 Old 09-19-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Speakers are more than just the sum of their drivers. Per Revel's anechoic measurements the F208 not only has deeper extension and more sensitivity, but it also seems (to my eyes) to have a better set of anechoic measurements. I'd either spend the extra and get the F208 or save some money and get one of the Performa3 monitors.

Theater room: Sony VPL HW30ES, DIY 100" screen with Seymour Centerstage XD, 5 Revel M105, 2 JBL Studio 210, 4 SVS SB12-NSD, Anthem MRX-300
post #7329 of 7333 Old 09-19-2014, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Thanks, those graphs definitely helped. I'll probably go F208, but just wanted to get some impressions from others. Has anyone here heard the Revel In-Walls & In-Ceilings? I'd also like to get some architectural in-ceilings, but I don't know what Revel's reputation is on architectural. I know they're well known for towers & centers, but I haven't heard much about architectural? Would they match well with the F208/6?
post #7330 of 7333 Old 09-19-2014, 12:07 PM

I heard some three-way Revel in-walls at my local dealer along with the F208 and F206, and I was pretty impressed, for what it's worth. They seemed like they had a slightly more polite balance, but I wouldn't have any problems using them as surrounds in my system.

post #7331 of 7333 Old 09-19-2014, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Speaking about speakers being imposing;
This post may not interest anyone, just sharing my perspective.
This is a topic that instantly invokes the dreaded WAF\SAF acronym.
Personally I've been fortunate in this respect as any GF or spouse in my life has never taken a hard line in this respect.
For myself, I don't like any object that imposes its presence in a room.

I've listened to a lot of speakers in a lot of environments over the years and found that speakers that did or did feel like they dominated a room could not be simply calculated in the abstract.
I love panel speakers Quads, Magnepans, Martin-Logans, etc. but for all of their gossamer-like profile, to me they are imposing speakers unless you have a really large room.

My point relating to Revel Speakers is that the the Ultima Studio2s I have, to me, do not dominate my living room physically.
I believe that the thin profile(width), lessens the impression of size, no denying they're there but they don't stand out or naturally draw attention to themselves when entering the room.
Many speakers have this profile with the pioneer speaker in this regard being the ADS L1590.
Thin profile, smaller multiple woof\mid-woof drivers. Killer imaging. Gone is the big, wide box.
YMMV, my living room is 17x19.
My house was built in 1969 and the LR is a non-walk thru step-down.
Can't say whether that is small, large or whatever by today's standards but it is a nice room for music.
Hope this gives prospective buyers another POV.

post #7332 of 7333 Old 09-20-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
Speaking about speakers being imposing...
I've listened to a lot of speakers in a lot of environments over the years and found that speakers that did or did feel like they dominated a room could not be simply calculated
YMMV, my living room is 17x19.
My house was built in 1969 and the LR is a non-walk thru step-down.
Can't say whether that is small, large or whatever by today's standards but it is a nice room for music.
Hope this gives prospective buyers another POV.
Any room that is more than the "standard" 13' wide is an improvement. The room I built in '97 was close to the same dimensions...17.5' x 20'.
For starters, being able to place the L/R mains well away from the side walls provides a much wider soundstage. I had my L/R spaced 8' apart, leaving 58" to each side wall.

I heard a system in a HT shop where they had a 103" 2.35 wide screen in a room only around 13.5 ft wide room. That left only about 15" from the edges of the screen to the side walls. So that is where the L/R towers were, right in the corners. The soundstage was much narrower than mine, even though the towers were spaced farther apart.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Revel

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page