post #7351 of 7354 Old Today, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
Interesting. I had no issues powering my Salon2s with a Denon 4311. There was no audible difference when I "upgraded" to an Emotiva XPR-5 at reference level SPLs and lower.

I am not sure what you mean my reference level. At -6, I was able to illuminate the clipping indicator on a ATI3005 driving my Salons.
A receiver will run out of power and clip/reduce peak levels before it becomes unlistenable.
It can be difficult to hear the sound that is not produced.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7352 of 7354 Old Today, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
I am not sure what you mean my reference level.
- Rich
By reference I mean what the majority mean. A properly calibrated receiver so that 0 (relative scale) on the MV on their receiver is playing at reference SPLs. http://www.thx.com/consumer/thx-tech...ference-level/
post #7353 of 7354 Old Today, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaveav View Post
And I'm convinced that people who think they hear differences are usually not doing the comparison level-matched or blinded.
I agree that different people have different hearing abilities. Just like I can't run like Usain Bolt.

All I know is that I'm a value shopper and have gone thru a $199 Denon receiver to $549 Onkyo 708 to Emotiva XPA-5 to Emotiva XPR-5...each time the differences were clear.

I recently bought an XPA-2 for my 2 surround back channels. Doing an A/B on my Revel F208s, I volunteered my wife who couldn't care less about these things. She was able to clearly, on a double blind test, notice the smoother / better sound on the XPR-5.

I agree, your results will vary, but if I had even more revealing speakers like the Salon2s, the difference I'd have to imagine would be amplified (no pun intended) vs. attenuated.

Your results may vary but since the guys who asked the question can hear the difference, he knows where this road will lead.
post #7354 of 7354 Old Today, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Several years back I added a pair of UPA-1s to an Onkyo TX-1008 with the expectation bias that it would either be no change or some improvement. Did not expect a step back in two channel. For movies (did not try multichannel music I don't believe) it was an improvement. Not able to switch at all fast so had to rely on notes but to me it was subtle but still distinguishable.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Revel

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page