post #7381 of 7387 Old 10-08-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmoore2 View Post
Audioholics seems to be fairly independent in their AV assessments and reviews, but I find it curious that there are no (little) reviews of the Revel speakers. Are certain sites or publications aligned with certain companies exclusively? For under $5000, the Revel F208's are in my top 3 speakers and yet there was one preview" over two years ago and nothing subsequent. And nothing on the Salon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticShrimp View Post
They may claim that, but that hasn't really been my observation. They seem to have some kind of relationship with RBH, for example.
Does the word payola come to mind? Much like the DJs of the '50s being paid by a record company to play a certain 45 more than others.
Any publication that excepts ads is most likely to be biased towards those companies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7382 of 7387 Old 10-08-2014, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post
So, as many do, I went back to the dealer for a second and more extended listening period yesterday. I was surprised to find that I wasn't anywhere near as impressed the second time. I can't figure out why, maybe because I went back expecting so much, but the fealing was totally different. After my first session I couldn't imagine a better sounding speaker and after my second I seriously questioned spending the money on them. I even threw more ower from a nice NAD amp at them this time thinking it would make for an even better experience...now I'm as confused as ever
That's the nature of music listening. There are various factors--social, emotional, contextual that all play into our enjoyment of music (unless of course it is Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone which is always superlative).

Seriously, you'll findthat with speakers all the time. I have.

May I suggest you do several sessions and identify what you qualitatively like and don't like. Do you like a large soundstage or excellent dynamics? Do you like the soundstage image recessed or forward?

You will be making an investment so don't be afraid to take some time and comparison shop.

There is no right or wrong. It's what you like and what sounds best to you.

I'm a big fan of Revel and a loyal customer for years and I've worked my way up the product line. There have been times my speakers have been spot on, other times they haven't moved me as much and still other times where it's been otherworldly bliss.
post #7383 of 7387 Old 10-08-2014, 04:00 PM

Liked: 10
I put a lot less stock in reviews for speakers these days than for most other things. Maybe my ears are different or I'm very picky, but those internet direct Aperion speakers get great reviews (especially from Audioholics), and I wasn't all that impressed. Those GoldeEar Triton 2 towers also got rave reviews, but I wasn't wowed demoing those either. I think I'd just always want at least one subwoofer, so the compromise of them being built in didn't appeal to me since they didn't have much punch. I've also seemed to learn that I'm not a fan of folded ribbon tweeters in the couple of speakers I've heard.

The phrase of "trust your ear" is ringing more and more true the deeper I get.
post #7384 of 7387 Old 10-09-2014, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth View Post
I put a lot less stock in reviews for speakers these days than for most other things. Maybe my ears are different or I'm very picky, but those internet direct Aperion speakers get great reviews (especially from Audioholics), and I wasn't all that impressed. Those GoldeEar Triton 2 towers also got rave reviews, but I wasn't wowed demoing those either. I think I'd just always want at least one subwoofer, so the compromise of them being built in didn't appeal to me since they didn't have much punch. I've also seemed to learn that I'm not a fan of folded ribbon tweeters in the couple of speakers I've heard.

The phrase of "trust your ear" is ringing more and more true the deeper I get.
I heard the Golden Ears too and was very disappointed. I made a comment to one of the guys there and he agreed but shrugged as he said that they were "flying off the shelves". Granted, the Golden Ears were in a far from ideal location in the store, but there was really nothing about them that made me want to sit for an extended session.

post #7385 of 7387 Old 10-09-2014, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
I heard the Golden Ears too and was very disappointed. I made a comment to one of the guys there and he agreed but shrugged as he said that they were "flying off the shelves". Granted, the Golden Ears were in a far from ideal location in the store, but there was really nothing about them that made me want to sit for an extended session.
Anyone interested in a mint pair of Revel F52s?? Cherry finish. PM me.
post #7386 of 7387 Old 10-11-2014, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Diy panels made a huge difference. Few more to go. It took away the tinney sound.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141011_174746_1413071325454.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	306498  
post #7387 of 7387 Old 10-14-2014, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Very nice panels. If you can't hide them, give them some flair. I like it.
post #7388 of 7387 Old 10-15-2014, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIPTON80 View Post
Diy panels made a huge difference. Few more to go. It took away the tinney sound.
Very nice looking layout of those panels.

But if you really want to tame the room, you need to add thick area rugs.
At least between the LCRs and the seating.
I live in an all concrete house (all that way here). And I do have panels along my right wall, behind the curtains. The other side is not a real problem.
And my LCRs are a minimum of 4 ft forward of the wall behind.

The biggest improvement was when I bought more area rugs. Hard horizontal surfaces cause more problems than vertical surfaces.
I have an 8 ft ∅ rug in the middle. It is quite dense (think of a tightly coiled rope).
I just recently bought three more thick rugs 1.2m x 1.7m and have them side-side making a carpeted area of 6' x 12' completely covering the area between the LCRs and seats, with the round rug acting as the carpet pad underneath.

Below is from: Perceptual Effects of Room Reflections
By Amir Majidimehr
[Note: This article was originally published in the Widescreen Review Magazine, titled "it is not simple!"]

The most surprising was scenario #4 where the outcome was “greatly degrading effect.” Let me repeat: the same distortion created electronically and sent out of the speaker was a very negative thing. The reason is that when comb filtering is created that way, we don’t get the nice benefit of the image widening, or the psychoacoustic factors that reduced its severity. This is how Clark concludes the paper:

“Two speaker mono was considered superior to the one speaker, one path mono. A reflection from a vertical surface was barely audible but a horizontal reflector was more audible. An electronic delay comb filter was highly audible and annoying.”
Reply Speakers

Tags
Revel

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page