Forum Jump: 
 37Likes

post #7471 of 7488 Old 12-17-2014, 11:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All
I have finished reading all 7470 post in this thread trying to read up on any posts relating to the Salon 2s and Revel as a company. I auditioned the Salon 2's earlier this year, several times, and I fell in love with the silky smooth sound. I saved up so that I may have them delivered this Friday. It will be an awesome Christmas present to myslef! I am very excited to get them in my house, with an in-home demo. I'm hoping that they will stay, of course, but it's nice to have some degree of confidence before the check is cashed. Thanks to everyone who posted here, so that I could get a decent picture of the speakers and company from owner's eyes/ears... I will post my impressions later this weekend, when I have a few days with them. I am hoping that it's love at first note! Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 7488 Old 12-19-2014, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6737 View Post
Hello All
I have finished reading all 7470 post in this thread trying to read up on any posts relating to the Salon 2s and Revel as a company. I auditioned the Salon 2's earlier this year, several times, and I fell in love with the silky smooth sound. I saved up so that I may have them delivered this Friday. It will be an awesome Christmas present to myslef! I am very excited to get them in my house, with an in-home demo. I'm hoping that they will stay, of course, but it's nice to have some degree of confidence before the check is cashed. Thanks to everyone who posted here, so that I could get a decent picture of the speakers and company from owner's eyes/ears... I will post my impressions later this weekend, when I have a few days with them. I am hoping that it's love at first note! Pete
Pete, there are very few things that I like to say I'm very much assured of, but the Salon2s are one of them. You will thoroughly love these speakers and congrts on the purchase. Be sure you have plenty of amplification (You really need 200w bare minimum) and spend the time to dial them into your room and use the dials on the back appropriately they an make a huge difference. And, since you've read all the posts, you've hopefully gleaned the absolutely, positively most important item when it comes to auditioning Revel speakers and especially the Salon2s: you must baptize the speakers by playing Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone. This is a required rite of initiation for all REVELers.

ENJOY AND EARLY CHRISTMAS TODAY!!!!

post #7473 of 7488 Old 12-19-2014, 06:30 PM

Thanks THX!!
I have that Yo Yo Ma cd on my to-buy list if I don't get it from my wife on Christmas! She has a wish list of music!! So far, I am mesmerized by the silky smooth miss and highs! The room has been quirky acoustically and it is well treated. I plan on spending the next 4 days doing as you suggested, tweaking with music and REW. For tonight, I can't stop putting in another disc. I will post pics and system info later this weekend. Pete
post #7474 of 7488 Old 12-21-2014, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks THX!!
I have that Yo Yo Ma cd on my to-buy list if I don't get it from my wife on Christmas! She has a wish list of music!! So far, I am mesmerized by the silky smooth miss and highs! The room has been quirky acoustically and it is well treated. I plan on spending the next 4 days doing as you suggested, tweaking with music and REW. For tonight, I can't stop putting in another disc. I will post pics and system info later this weekend. Pete

The Ultima2 Salons and Yo-Yo-Ma are a package set. If you don't have one without the other, something's wrong . Hope you're enjoying one of the best loudspeakers on the planet.

post #7475 of 7488 Old 12-22-2014, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Just got the Emotiva XMC-1 a week ago. It's a great pre/pro and it really makes my speakers (F208) come to life.

I can't believe how good it is...and I don't even have Dirac yet!
post #7476 of 7488 Old 12-26-2014, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have the Concerta series. I have found a good price on the Performa C205. Is it worth replacing the C12 for the C205? I have F12's as fronts... They should match ok, right? So hard NOT to buy it, but will I be sonicly satiated?

Thanks guys, I know they're not Salons, but one day...
post #7477 of 7488 Old 12-26-2014, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnydoggy View Post
I have the Concerta series. I have found a good price on the Performa C205. Is it worth replacing the C12 for the C205? I have F12's as fronts... They should match ok, right? So hard NOT to buy it, but will I be sonicly satiated?

Thanks guys, I know they're not Salons, but one day...
To be honest with you I'd rather have the C12 than the C205. The C205 starts with a more compromised horizontal MTM driver arrangment, while the C12 is a WTMW. I recommend passing on the deal.

Theater room: Sony VPL HW30ES, DIY 100" screen with Seymour Centerstage XD, 5 Revel M105, 2 JBL Studio 210, 4 SVS SB12-NSD, Anthem MRX-300
Living room: Panasonic TC-P60VT60, 3 KEF LS50, Pioneer SW-8, Marantz NR1603
post #7478 of 7488 Old 12-26-2014, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticShrimp View Post
To be honest with you I'd rather have the C12 than the C205. The C205 starts with a more compromised horizontal MTM driver arrangment, while the C12 is a WTMW. I recommend passing on the deal.
Thanks! I guess more expensive is not always better
post #7479 of 7488 Old 12-26-2014, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnydoggy View Post
Thanks! I guess more expensive is not always better
Unless you consider "better" in terms of fit and finish and lack of resonant coloration. In terms of overall sound quality, though, my acoustic bets are on the C12.

Theater room: Sony VPL HW30ES, DIY 100" screen with Seymour Centerstage XD, 5 Revel M105, 2 JBL Studio 210, 4 SVS SB12-NSD, Anthem MRX-300
Living room: Panasonic TC-P60VT60, 3 KEF LS50, Pioneer SW-8, Marantz NR1603
post #7480 of 7488 Old 12-26-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Hello All
Congratulations.
You will love them on first note but more importantly it will still be love on the millionth note.
I tried accessing your pic gallery but was denied access.
Yes I'm nosy and want to see what else is in your system.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #7481 of 7488 Old 12-26-2014, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticShrimp View Post
Unless you consider "better" in terms of fit and finish and lack of resonant coloration. In terms of overall sound quality, though, my acoustic bets are on the C12.
I would think the C12 sounds worse. Also, if next the concerta Mains are upgraded down the road, the center is already good to go.
post #7482 of 7488 Old 12-26-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdec View Post
Just got the Emotiva XMC-1 a week ago. It's a great pre/pro and it really makes my speakers (F208) come to life.

I can't believe how good it is...and I don't even have Dirac yet!
What? An Emotiva XMC-1?
Haven't you read the 2 threads trashing this obsolete boat anchor?
It can't sound good.
How can so many people who've never heard one be wrong.

BTW, I've heard the XSP-1 pre-amp and if I was going for a straight 2-channel pre it would be a no-brainer.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #7483 of 7488 Old 12-26-2014, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
What? An Emotiva XMC-1?
Haven't you read the 2 threads trashing this obsolete boat anchor?
It can't sound good.
How can so many people who've never heard one be wrong.

BTW, I've heard the XSP-1 pre-amp and if I was going for a straight 2-channel pre it would be a no-brainer.
I didn't but it's pretty funny. The guy from Theta went to Emotiva and literally built an Emotiva version of the Casablanca.

Even the menu structure reminds me of the Theta.

It would literally cost all the naysayers $30-35 to try it out. That's the estimated cost of return shipping. It's crazy how good it sounds.

But if they don't like Emotiva or the XMC-1...it matters zero to me. I'm not the owner of Emotiva and I don't need any validation .
post #7484 of 7488 Old 12-26-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdec View Post
I didn't but it's pretty funny. The guy from Theta went to Emotiva and literally built an Emotiva version of the Casablanca.

Even the menu structure reminds me of the Theta.

It would literally cost all the naysayers $30-35 to try it out. That's the estimated cost of return shipping. It's crazy how good it sounds.

But if they don't like Emotiva or the XMC-1...it matters zero to me. I'm not the owner of Emotiva and I don't need any validation .
Absolutely agree.
Please keep us updated on your Dirac saga.
I'm a long time Anthem D2 owner and a believer in room correction and understand its advantages and limitations.
If the underlying SQ of the gear is great then RC only makes it better.

post #7485 of 7488 Old 12-26-2014, 07:46 PM

The Revel Salon2s are up and running! I have played around with placement and the controls on the back. They are very smooth and well built. I replaced a pair of Salk SS8s which were also very nice! The differences are easily identified in the form of smoother treble and midrange, micro detail and overall loudness without any strain. I like the sound of the Berilium tweeter over the ribbon on the Salks. But I will say that the Salks are a very high value since they hold their own in the face of a speaker that has a MSRP at 3 times the Salks. I am smitten by the Revel sound.

My system pics on AVS are outdated and I'm in the upgrade/ remodel process since I canned surround and went dedicated 2 channel. I should be done and ready for pics in the next two months.
It is definitely love at first sight and listen. My system currently is an Audio Research Ref5se preamp
Bryston 14bst amp
Oppo bdp105 universal player with 4TB hard drive attached
Cambridge audio 840 c CD player.

I'm planning on upgrading the amp and digital later this year to the Ref 150 and maybe Esoteric K03x.
I'll keep you posted! Pete
post #7486 of 7488 Old 12-26-2014, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
Absolutely agree.
Please keep us updated on your Dirac saga.
I'm a long time Anthem D2 owner and a believer in room correction and understand its advantages and limitations.
If the underlying SQ of the gear is great then RC only makes it better.
I got lucky and got my Dirac key. It's running and it's very good. The placement of the Mics during the calibration was important in extracting the best performance but I'm all set now with the XMC-1.

Just enjoying the music and movies.
post #7487 of 7488 Old Today, 07:23 PM
smf

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Revel Ultima Salon - Tweeter

Have a pair of Revel Ultima Salons - Tweeter was not working in one of them. Bought replacement from Revel. Just installed but still not working. Any suggestions what else could be worng?
post #7488 of 7488 Old Today, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by smf View Post
Have a pair of Revel Ultima Salons - Tweeter was not working in one of them. Bought replacement from Revel. Just installed but still not working. Any suggestions what else could be worng?

If the midrange is working, then it could be the crossover.
Even so, I would double check the connection. Swap in the other Salon tweeter if you are willing.
And, of course, call Revel.

I replaced both Salon tweeters a while back since I felt it was worth upgrading them in pairs.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
Reply Speakers

Tags
Revel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page