Forum Jump: 
 49Likes
post #7591 of 7616 Old 01-17-2015, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
So with the announcement of the Concerta2 line I assume Revel have no plans on updating the Salon 2 or Studio 2 lines then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7592 of 7616 Old 01-17-2015, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music4Life View Post
I have a W4S DAC2 as a preamp/DAC hooked up directly to a Pass Labs XA30.5, and using a Marantz UD7007 primarily as a CD player transport.
Nice!

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #7593 of 7616 Old 01-17-2015, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdec View Post
I'm thinking of unloading my performa3 F208 and C208 along w my F12 and buy 6 C35s and the center for 7.1. Hmm.
You can't be serious.

I know you didn't ask me but I have a 7.2 system and if I didn't use the rears(instead of the side surrounds) when I listen to 5.1 music, I wouldn't bother.
I think you'd be taking quite a step down from the Performas plus the loss and hassle of selling speakers.
I'm assuming you can't use a F208 for the center.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #7594 of 7616 Old 01-17-2015, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm looking at a pair used of Revel F30 speakers on craigslist. Question what is the recommended distance from the backwall on these speakers? The speakers are a great deal at 400 so Im very tempted. The tweeters are dented, so I have contacted revel for a replacement cost... Is this a good deal for Revel F30s?

Current Setup
Denon X4000 with Outlaw 750 Amplifier
Selah SSR as mainsCustom custom Sardonyx with with scans-peak drivers
Usher 721 and 711
SI 18D2 Sealed Subwoofer
Overnight Sensations desktop speakers

Last edited by Jamey Wagner; 01-17-2015 at 08:56 PM.
post #7595 of 7616 Old 01-18-2015, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey Wagner View Post
I'm looking at a pair used of Revel F30 speakers on craigslist. Question what is the recommended distance from the backwall on these speakers? The speakers are a great deal at 400 so Im very tempted. The tweeters are dented, so I have contacted revel for a replacement cost... Is this a good deal for Revel F30s?
The further out from the (all) walls, the better the soundstage. Both in width and depth.

Custom, one of a kind pair, MJC212 mains, mod PT800 center, PT800 surrounds, SUB1500s. Parasound P7, Citation 19, Parasound HCA2205A, HK AVR3600, Marantz TT, Denon disc player, MacBook Pro w/ DragonFly usbDAC.
post #7596 of 7616 Old 01-18-2015, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
You can't be serious.

I know you didn't ask me but I have a 7.2 system and if I didn't use the rears(instead of the side surrounds) when I listen to 5.1 music, I wouldn't bother.
I think you'd be taking quite a step down from the Performas plus the loss and hassle of selling speakers.
I'm assuming you can't use a F208 for the center.
Yes I have a console so I need a horizontal center channel. I wonder how much of a step down it is though...same material drivers, similar designs.

I do agree the hassle is a deterrent, but it would be very minimal cost if the resale of the F208/C208 is decent. I still have the plastic on my speakers .
post #7597 of 7616 Old 01-18-2015, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes I have a console so I need a horizontal center channel. I wonder how much of a step down it is though...same material drivers, similar designs.

I do agree the hassle is a deterrent, but it would be very minimal cost if the resale of the F208/C208 is decent. I still have the plastic on my speakers .
If I knew where you lived I'd come over and rip that plastic right off!

post #7598 of 7616 Old 01-18-2015, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey Wagner View Post
Check Audiogon for price comparo.
$400 sounds very good but the cost and lead time for the tweets might erase any price advantage.
Looking at your existing system I'm guessing you're adding a system and not replacing what you have.

post #7599 of 7616 Old 01-18-2015, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Check Audiogon for price comparo.
$400 sounds very good but the cost and lead time for the tweets might erase any price advantage.
Looking at your existing system I'm guessing you're adding a system and not replacing what you have.
I just kinda wanted to play with having towers. Ive seen them sell from 750-999 on ebay so I understand the value. I will call revel on Monday for the costs of the tweeters.

Current Setup
Denon X4000 with Outlaw 750 Amplifier
Selah SSR as mainsCustom custom Sardonyx with with scans-peak drivers
Usher 721 and 711
SI 18D2 Sealed Subwoofer
Overnight Sensations desktop speakers
post #7600 of 7616 Old 01-18-2015, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

If I knew where you lived I'd come over and rip that plastic right off!
Lol. My buddy said the same thing. I have 2 craxy boys do until they grow up, I gotta protect my finish .
post #7601 of 7616 Old 01-18-2015, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Nakid Revels

So the wife hates the aluminum polished sides on the Salons, so I took em off and I'm kind of enjoying them nakid. I have 3/8" plug covers coming for the bolt holes that will hopefully look somewhat stock. Anyone else do this with their v1 Revel Ultimas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1449.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	486778   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1402.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	486786  
RichB likes this.

Last edited by bdaley6509; 01-18-2015 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Photo Add
post #7602 of 7616 Old 01-19-2015, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steady teddy View Post
So with the announcement of the Concerta2 line I assume Revel have no plans on updating the Salon 2 or Studio 2 lines then?
Based on history, that'll be next. Probably in a couple of years.
post #7603 of 7616 Old 01-24-2015, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
just purchased a pair of F208 for my bedroom, have had it for about 5 days. So far, I like what I'm hearing. The sound is lively and revealing, a slight bit forward sounding, the soundstage coming just slightly pass the plane of the speakers, but nevertheless the mids are intoxicating. Just have to experiment with taming the highs just a smidgen, maybe due to my room acoustics and/or equipment.
bthrb4u likes this.
post #7604 of 7616 Old 01-25-2015, 04:14 PM

Liked: 0
I'm building out a living room HT setup with Revel speakers. The room is 15' wide x 25' long with a cathedral ceiling that slopes from 9' to 18'. The TV is on the long wall. This room is open to the kitchen/breakfast room and dining room. I recently purchased M105's and a C205 for the front LR and C. I'm looking at the S12's for surrounds and a JL Audio F110 for the sub. I can get a great deal on a Denon X3100W AVR, but I'm open to suggestions.

Will the surrounds, sub and AVR play nicely with the mains I've already purchased?

Should I plug the ports on the M105's? They will be about 1-1.5' away from the back wall and about 6-12" away from bookshelves on either side of the TV.

Any other guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks, Nate.
post #7605 of 7616 Old 01-26-2015, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog1959 View Post
I'm building out a living room HT setup with Revel speakers. The room is 15' wide x 25' long with a cathedral ceiling that slopes from 9' to 18'. The TV is on the long wall. This room is open to the kitchen/breakfast room and dining room. I recently purchased M105's and a C205 for the front LR and C. I'm looking at the S12's for surrounds and a JL Audio F110 for the sub. I can get a great deal on a Denon X3100W AVR, but I'm open to suggestions.

Will the surrounds, sub and AVR play nicely with the mains I've already purchased?

Should I plug the ports on the M105's? They will be about 1-1.5' away from the back wall and about 6-12" away from bookshelves on either side of the TV.

Any other guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks, Nate.
I think your all Revel speakers setup should blend well. Maybe instead of the F110, save some money and buy the E110 or E112 and put the savings toward a better receiver. I'm partial to Anthem, hence I would recommend checking out the Anthem MRX310 or MRX510. Instead of including all of the bells and whistles that other receivers may have, they put the money where it counts, toward sound quality and ARC room correction system. I have an MRX300 (previous generation) that I use in my third bedroom and when compared to a Parasound A21 (spare) in 2-ch music, I was surprised the sound quality was almost as good (90%) as the A21, that I didn't feel I need to use the A21.
post #7606 of 7616 Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeshanok View Post
I think your all Revel speakers setup should blend well. Maybe instead of the F110, save some money and buy the E110 or E112 and put the savings toward a better receiver. I'm partial to Anthem, hence I would recommend checking out the Anthem MRX310 or MRX510. Instead of including all of the bells and whistles that other receivers may have, they put the money where it counts, toward sound quality and ARC room correction system. I have an MRX300 (previous generation) that I use in my third bedroom and when compared to a Parasound A21 (spare) in 2-ch music, I was surprised the sound quality was almost as good (90%) as the A21, that I didn't feel I need to use the A21.
My living room is pretty big (5000+ cubic ft not including the open kitchen and dining room). Do you think the E110 or E112 will be able to fill the space? I can get a crazy deal on the F110 ($1299), which is what drew me to it. 2 subwoofers won't fly in this setup. That will be reserved for a dedicated HT room in the future.

I will look into the Anthem products.

Thanks, Nate.
post #7607 of 7616 Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM

I think Anthem is going to be quite a bit out of my budget. I need 7.1 channels due to 2 outdoor speakers that will be driven off of this receiver. The MRX510 is more than 2x what I'm looking to spend on a receiver. I'm also looking at refurbished Denon X4000's to get into the Audessy XT32 room correction.

Nate
post #7608 of 7616 Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
Listening to my friends 1038Be's, those focals are a sweet sounding speaker.
Extremely clean. It seems the 1038Be's would compete directly with the Studio2's. I think Performa and Salons can be driver harder than Focals.
That would be me. Having heard RichB's Salons (not 2's) and lived with my 1038Be's for a while now, they're both great speakers. Why I'm posting here after all this time, is that I'm actually toying with the idea of replacing one of my pairs of 1038Be's with a pair of Salon 2's. I've got a pair of 1038Be's as the front left/right in my home theater system and the other pair is in my home office which are used just for music. The home office pair is the one that would be swapped, but only if I could sell my 1038's for what they're "worth" (my brother ~might~ be interested). I ended up with 2 pairs of 1038Be's thanks to a debacle of custom finish screwups that resulted in the dealer selling me each pair for 40% off of the original price (which had a 20% premium for the custom finish) - at that kind of a discount, I just couldn't let them take either pair back...

A couple of things are holding me back on doing this. First, the room isn't exactly large, is more or less L shaped, and doesn't exactly allow for ideal placement. I'm using a NAD M3 integrated amp in this system - I'm not sure if it has enough oomph to make the Revel's sing and I'm space limited in the A/V cabinet, though I could possibly put the amp on a short stand on the floor between the speakers and use separate amp and preamp (or perhaps replace the NAD with something like a Simaudio integrated amp at some point). I'm also not sure I relish the idea of lugging a pair of Salon 2's up a full flight of stairs to get them into the room. Finally, even if I sell the 1038Be's for a good chunk of cash, a pair of Salon 2's is still going to make a dent in the bank account. Oh, and the 1038Be's are REALLY nice speakers. There's a pair of Salon 2's on Audiogon for just under $13k that are located within driving distance, so they wouldn't need to be shipped, but I have no idea how good a price that is on a used pair (condition is listed as 9/10).

Quote:
There seems to be some good deals to be had on Ultima's (I am thinking D-something )
You can likely get Studio2's for less than 1038Be's.
Of course, I would stretch my budget a few K and go for Salon2's. Subs become optional
I need to give this some more thought, but we may need to discuss this D-something thing (I'm not sure I get the reference there) at some point...
post #7609 of 7616 Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Finally, even if I sell the 1038Be's for a good chunk of cash, a pair of Salon 2's is still going to make a dent in the bank account. Oh, and the 1038Be's are REALLY nice speakers. There's a pair of Salon 2's on Audiogon for just under $13k that are located within driving distance, so they wouldn't need to be shipped, but I have no idea how good a price that is on a used pair (condition is listed as 9/10).

I need to give this some more thought, but we may need to discuss this D-something thing (I'm not sure I get the reference there) at some point...

Actually, D-something isn't selling them anymore, but the research department might be able to locate a good deal
I found $13K Salon2's on audiogon but they are in Hillsboro, OR.

Enjoy the rest of the storm. Heading out now...

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #7610 of 7616 Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Actually, D-something isn't selling them anymore, but the research department might be able to locate a good deal
I found $13K Salon2's on audiogon but they are in Hillsboro, OR.
The pair I was looking at on Audiogon are in Bristol, CT, which would be close enough to be worth driving rather than paying to have them shipped (and possibly damaged).

Quote:
Enjoy the rest of the storm. Heading out now...
It's been a good one.
post #7611 of 7616 Old Yesterday, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
That would be me. Having heard RichB's Salons (not 2's) and lived with my 1038Be's for a while now, they're both great speakers. Why I'm posting here after all this time, is that I'm actually toying with the idea of replacing one of my pairs of 1038Be's with a pair of Salon 2's. I've got a pair of 1038Be's as the front left/right in my home theater system and the other pair is in my home office which are used just for music. The home office pair is the one that would be swapped, but only if I could sell my 1038's for what they're "worth" (my brother ~might~ be interested). I ended up with 2 pairs of 1038Be's thanks to a debacle of custom finish screwups that resulted in the dealer selling me each pair for 40% off of the original price (which had a 20% premium for the custom finish) - at that kind of a discount, I just couldn't let them take either pair back...

A couple of things are holding me back on doing this. First, the room isn't exactly large, is more or less L shaped, and doesn't exactly allow for ideal placement. I'm using a NAD M3 integrated amp in this system - I'm not sure if it has enough oomph to make the Revel's sing and I'm space limited in the A/V cabinet, though I could possibly put the amp on a short stand on the floor between the speakers and use separate amp and preamp (or perhaps replace the NAD with something like a Simaudio integrated amp at some point). I'm also not sure I relish the idea of lugging a pair of Salon 2's up a full flight of stairs to get them into the room. Finally, even if I sell the 1038Be's for a good chunk of cash, a pair of Salon 2's is still going to make a dent in the bank account. Oh, and the 1038Be's are REALLY nice speakers. There's a pair of Salon 2's on Audiogon for just under $13k that are located within driving distance, so they wouldn't need to be shipped, but I have no idea how good a price that is on a used pair (condition is listed as 9/10).

If you will to upgrade your speaker, think about Aerial 7T 9995 $ .
post #7612 of 7616 Old Yesterday, 11:49 PM
Advanced Member

I don't see anything really gained by selling the 1038Be. I heard them at a dealer and they were nothing short of amazing.

Perhaps like you said upgrading the integrated amp may be a better path.
post #7613 of 7616 Old Today, 06:00 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Thanks for the comments guys. Like I said, I'm just toying with the idea at this point. I'm not at all unhappy with the 1038Be's, just thinking it might be fun to have the 2 systems be more different. Aren't the Aerial 7T's more fussy about placement?
post #7614 of 7616 Old Today, 06:44 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaley6509 View Post
So the wife hates the aluminum polished sides on the Salons, so I took em off and I'm kind of enjoying them nakid. I have 3/8" plug covers coming for the bolt holes that will hopefully look somewhat stock. Anyone else do this with their v1 Revel Ultimas?
They look rather cool!!! I have had a pair of Gems restored from scratch to use as surrounds with my Piano black Studios and Voice .....they were in wood veneer and my dealer took them to a specialist Auto Spray shop and sprayed the panels piano black -they look just awesome and you can do this to your Salon panels .See the pic
As matter of interest in process of selling the lot and changing to B&W802s/805s and HTM2 centre - already have 2 x DB1 subs I am currently using .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0463.JPG.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	507578  
post #7615 of 7616 Unread Today, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Thanks for the comments guys. Like I said, I'm just toying with the idea at this point. I'm not at all unhappy with the 1038Be's, just thinking it might be fun to have the 2 systems be more different. Aren't the Aerial 7T's more fussy about placement?
To be realistic, all speakers need to be placed right in any given room, to get all of their potential.
As I've been moving around quite a bit the last 5 years, I always start with 8' apart and 3~4' off the walls...and then adjust as needed for that room. I've done that with every speaker system I've ever had.
Did the same for my son's system, when I was in Japan last spring.

From the many systems I've seen, most problems people have are results of bad placement.

Custom, one of a kind pair, MJC212 mains, mod PT800 center, PT800 surrounds, SUB1500s. Parasound P7, Citation 19, Parasound HCA2205A, HK AVR3600, Marantz TT, Denon disc player, MacBook Pro w/ DragonFly usbDAC.
post #7616 of 7616 Unread Today, 08:09 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post
To be realistic, all speakers need to be placed right in any given room, to get all of their potential.
Absolutely, but some (speakers) tend to be fussier about ideal placement than others.

Given the constraints of this room, I would want to avoid speakers that are on the fussier side of the scale, understanding that I'm unlikely to be able to get ideal placement for any speaker in the room. About 5-6 feet apart and 1-2 feet from the wall is the best I can do. The 1038Be's still manage to sound pretty good with this less than ideal placement. The other pair down in my home theater system have better placement (they're around 8 feet apart and about 3-4 feet from the walls) and do sound better, but they're also running on better electronics (Denon AVP-A1HDCI surround sound process and Parasound JC-1 amps versus the NAD M3 integrated amp in the home office). The pair in the home theater system also gets a bit of low end support from a pair of Submersive HP subwoofers, though I do sometimes disable the subs and use the 1038Be's full range for music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Revel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page