Revel Owners Thread - Page 256 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 77Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7651 of 7721 Old 02-22-2015, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
lsdec's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
Define "twice"? Define "good"?

My Studio2s retail for 3 times the price of the F208s.
Are they "thrice" as "good"?
Hell if I know.
I doubt the frequency response is 3 times as good.
In fact I'm sure they're not.
Are the drivers 3 times as good?
Haven't got a clue.
Probably 3 times as expensive to fabricate.
IMO and I've said it a lot, driver material is immaterial.
There are fantastic drivers made from just about every material you can imagine.

Did I prefer them to all of the other speakers I was able to hear at the time for the price I paid.
Obviously.
The studio2 is different though. It has the 2" baffle and the exotic materials, whereas the F208 and F206 has basically the same design with same driver materials. Just the cabinet and woofers are different in volume and size.

I've only heard the F206 and F208 side by side with no sub so it was easy to tell how much more effortless and "uncompressed" (do they mean the same thing?) the F208 sounded. I also heard the studio2 and the F208 side by side and as I have stated previously, the studio2 was better in every area...it wasn't night and day better but it was better however much you value 10% better (per revel rep).

My buddy and I went to see his dealer about room treatments and a 2nd sub and saw the newest Martin Logan speakers that retail for like $80k driven by the 1.2kW Mcintosh monoblocks. Did it sound great? It sure did. But I honestly didn't think it sounded a whole lot better than my F208 driven by the XPR-2 and XMC-1. I think me having Dirac had a big factor in closing the gap.

But others may think no I need those speakers and it's worth it. It's all about budgets and what level you want to be or can be...

The F206 is a great speaker especially at the $2500 price point!
Milt99 likes this.
lsdec is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7652 of 7721 Old 02-22-2015, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RichB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 9,047
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
I love substantial low frequency as much as the next guy but I think there's more than a bit of testosterone involved in this.
Apologies for the Sunday morning OT

Of course, but you make it sound like a bad thing

A dealer one told me, his customer interest in amplifiers correlates well with "maleness".

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 + A21 + A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
RichB is offline  
post #7653 of 7721 Old 02-22-2015, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Milt99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: West Of California
Posts: 5,241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Not a bad thing at all.
I've been fortunate to have been in few theater music rooms that rival anything out there, literally.
The bass response in those rooms is nothing short of phenomenal.
If fact, in the Seattle area we have some really nice professional theaters and the sound on those theaters does not compare
to the private theater rooms.
Of course much easier to fill a smaller space.
And as lsdec posted previously, the digital tools available to the consumer were unimaginable not that long ago and now they're pretty much SOP.

Not knocking the bassheads at all, I'm one to a point but as always balance is the most important thing.

 

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so


Last edited by Milt99; 02-22-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Milt99 is offline  
post #7654 of 7721 Old 02-24-2015, 11:26 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdec View Post
Unfortunately, I'm not that much of a DIY guy but that's a great proposition! 4 15" subs for $2k?!! Will they have the same quality bass like the JL Audio F112/113 my buddies have?



The SVS is a very nice sub but my sub isn't like the JLs. And yes they were a fraction of the price but I just want the bass quality to be similar to the Revels. Otherwise, they don't integrate as well.

I just pulled out my old Klipsch Forte II...and as I suspected, they are still awesome for the mixes / electronica music. As a matter of fact they are the best I've ever heard them! I guess my current gear is better than the Yamaha receiver I had back then. Much smoother and none of the blaring from before. It's not as refined as the Revels of course but it's very listenable. This XMC-1/XPR-2 combo is pretty darn special. I've been to enough high end stores looking at those super high end gear..and even the F208 was paired with some high end gear in that "expensive" room next to the studio2. This combo wouldn't be out if place in that room (save the aesthetics) .

My buddy has the XPR-1s and XPR-2 for his system and I contend that the difference between the XPR-1 and XPR-2 is such that I'd use that money toward the 2nd sub etc. I know most purists like the monoblocks idea from years past but I'm not sure if it's as important these days. Of course I'm coming from a high value standpoint though. I'll be using my XPR-2/XPR-5 combo for a while.

Milt99 if you are thinking about bi-amping, I'm not sure if that's the best route. And without comparing them side by side, I'm not sure how the XPA-1L performs vs the XPR-2. If your amp doesn't run out of steam then I think you're ok. I proved that my F208 cried uncle to the XPR-2 . It would be nice to pair those killer speakers with the XPR something imho. 1,2 or 5 based on your needs / budget. This sale they have is pretty attractive, if you are looking to make a move soon.
ISdec,
How are you liking that F208/Emotiva Xpr-2 combo? I'm thinking about migrating to the same setup.
merl1n74 is offline  
post #7655 of 7721 Old 02-24-2015, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
lsdec's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by merl1n74 View Post
ISdec,
How are you liking that F208/Emotiva Xpr-2 combo? I'm thinking about migrating to the same setup.
The XMC-1 (with Dirac LE), XPR-2 and F208 (w/ SVS SB13 sub).....I'm very happy with the sound. It sounded really good even before I had the XMC-1 and Dirac but now it's down right unbelievable imho. I can't be happier.

I always thought the SVS sub was just a value sub that was good but not great. Dirac tightened that bass up so much that I have it crossed over at 50Hz to the subs. And I used the port bungs on the F208 to roll off the bass a little higher on the F208 and also to tighten up the bass even more.

Even with no sub, the F208 has great bass. With Dirac it's now better than great.

It's nice to have that reserve power too. The transient response is so sharp and the mids and highs and buttery smooth as well.

I hope I'm not over-hyping it and have you disappointed.
lsdec is offline  
post #7656 of 7721 Old 03-02-2015, 01:32 PM
Member
 
Mike Rubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is anyone still using F32's for two-channel audio?

I have had a pair for nearly a decade and still enjoy them greatly. I have been powering them with a Musical Fidelity A5 integrated amp for the entire time I've owned them. The A5 has 200w per channel into 8 ohms.

I've never been wild about the amp. While it has its virtues, it also has some deficiencies. So, I am looking for a replacement integrated (that does not have a DAC or digital inputs because I have a great external DAC already). I primarily am seeking a more extended high end and better PRaT, as the Brits call it. (In other words, I really want cymbals to sing the way they do in the real world.)

I have my eyes on the Bryston B135 SST2, which has "only" 135 watts per side. Have any of you tried this particular amp and speaker combo? If not, have you tried F32s with 135 watts or less and, if so, did this adversely affect the F32's ability to reproduce music?

Any information gratefully received! Thanks.
Mike Rubin is offline  
post #7657 of 7721 Old 03-02-2015, 02:07 PM
Member
 
bigguyca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rubin View Post
Is anyone still using F32's for two-channel audio?

I have had a pair for nearly a decade and still enjoy them greatly. I have been powering them with a Musical Fidelity A5 integrated amp for the entire time I've owned them. The A5 has 200w per channel into 8 ohms.

I've never been wild about the amp. While it has its virtues, it also has some deficiencies. So, I am looking for a replacement integrated (that does not have a DAC or digital inputs because I have a great external DAC already). I primarily am seeking a more extended high end and better PRaT, as the Brits call it. (In other words, I really want cymbals to sing the way they do in the real world.)

I have my eyes on the Bryston B135 SST2, which has "only" 135 watts per side. Have any of you tried this particular amp and speaker combo? If not, have you tried F32s with 135 watts or less and, if so, did this adversely affect the F32's ability to reproduce music?

Any information gratefully received! Thanks.

Bryston makes really nice equipment. I use several 4BSST2's to drive Salon2's, a Voice2 plus some other speakers. Based on how I listen to music and watch TV I would estimate, based on volume settings, that 135 watts would easily drive the Salon2's, which aren't all that easy to drive. The 4BSST2's output of 300 watts at 8 ohms is only about 4 dB more that 135 watts.

That said; I happen to like the 4BSST2 the best of Bryston's amps. To me it is the sweet spot; bigger and more of everything. It lists for $5k, the B135 with remote lists for $5k. If you don't mind a little clutter you could go for say an Emotiva XSP-1 preamp for $1k and you would have something really nice for $6k. I've only read about the Emotiva unit, and looked at the circuit boards and parts used, but it looks like a really nice unit at a low cost with a five year warranty. Clearly there a lots of other preamps choices, new and used, but typically for more money. Using a preamp gives you the flexibility that's provided by separates - yes, you can separate the pre and amp of the B135, but why?
bigguyca is offline  
post #7658 of 7721 Old 03-02-2015, 02:32 PM
Member
 
Mike Rubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
Bryston makes really nice equipment. I use several 4BSST2's to drive Salon2's, a Voice2 plus some other speakers. Based on how I listen to music and watch TV I would estimate, based on volume settings, that 135 watts would easily drive the Salon2's, which aren't all that easy to drive. The 4BSST2's output of 300 watts at 8 ohms is only about 4 dB more that 135 watts.

That said; I happen to like the 4BSST2 the best of Bryston's amps. To me it is the sweet spot; bigger and more of everything. It lists for $5k, the B135 with remote lists for $5k. If you don't mind a little clutter you could go for say an Emotiva XSP-1 preamp for $1k and you would have something really nice for $6k. I've only read about the Emotiva unit, and looked at the circuit boards and parts used, but it looks like a really nice unit at a low cost with a five year warranty. Clearly there a lots of other preamps choices, new and used, but typically for more money. Using a preamp gives you the flexibility that's provided by separates - yes, you can separate the pre and amp of the B135, but why?
Funny you should mention an Emotiva preamp, as I happen to own an earlier model that I use in a small system at a vacation home. It's nice, but the system there isn't really high resolution enough for me to get much of a feeling for how good a unit it is. It's been trouble-free, however, and I have no complaints about it. If I were going to use separates, I'd consider its successor for the pre.

In my home system, however, I simply do not have room in my existing cabinet for anything other than an integrated and there's no chance my wife is going to allow me to change that cabinet, as its appearance was an item of long-term negotiation. Besides, I really like integrateds -- smaller signal path, the economies of a single chassis, one less expensive power cord and expensive set of interconnects to buy and manage -- so I mostly would like to find an integrated that has the virtues missing from the A5 and that doesn't substitute other failings for the A5's.

Thank you for the suggestion. I appreciate the thought about the 4BSSST2, which, by all accounts, seems to be a serious contender for the attention of those who can use separates.

Last edited by Mike Rubin; 03-02-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Mike Rubin is offline  
post #7659 of 7721 Old 03-02-2015, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LowTech1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 1,291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 104
F206 and The Grand Verus..They look like the same cabinet.. The Revel's cabinet ,I'm sure is much better quality. I've had the Aperions and didn't like the grill or the hard plastic going around the front of the speaker.
LowTech1 is offline  
post #7660 of 7721 Old 03-03-2015, 08:57 AM
Member
 
iNetRunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Finland
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rubin View Post
Is anyone still using F32's for two-channel audio?

I have had a pair for nearly a decade and still enjoy them greatly. I have been powering them with a Musical Fidelity A5 integrated amp for the entire time I've owned them. The A5 has 200w per channel into 8 ohms.

I've never been wild about the amp. While it has its virtues, it also has some deficiencies. So, I am looking for a replacement integrated (that does not have a DAC or digital inputs because I have a great external DAC already). I primarily am seeking a more extended high end and better PRaT, as the Brits call it. (In other words, I really want cymbals to sing the way they do in the real world.)

I have my eyes on the Bryston B135 SST2, which has "only" 135 watts per side. Have any of you tried this particular amp and speaker combo? If not, have you tried F32s with 135 watts or less and, if so, did this adversely affect the F32's ability to reproduce music?

Any information gratefully received! Thanks.
I don't know about the F32, but Musical Fidelity, from what I gather, isn't half bad in the latest incarnation either. So, M6si might be good. Though, it has an USB input it probably isn't a big money sink in the unit.
iNetRunner is online now  
post #7661 of 7721 Old 03-03-2015, 10:40 AM
Member
 
Mike Rubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNetRunner View Post
I don't know about the F32, but Musical Fidelity, from what I gather, isn't half bad in the latest incarnation either. So, M6si might be good. Though, it has an USB input it probably isn't a big money sink in the unit.
Thank you for the suggestion!
Mike Rubin is offline  
post #7662 of 7721 Old 03-03-2015, 10:01 PM
Senior Member
 
65 Electra Glide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rubin View Post
Is anyone still using F32's for two-channel audio?

I have had a pair for nearly a decade and still enjoy them greatly. I have been powering them with a Musical Fidelity A5 integrated amp for the entire time I've owned them. The A5 has 200w per channel into 8 ohms.

I've never been wild about the amp. While it has its virtues, it also has some deficiencies. So, I am looking for a replacement integrated (that does not have a DAC or digital inputs because I have a great external DAC already). I primarily am seeking a more extended high end and better PRaT, as the Brits call it. (In other words, I really want cymbals to sing the way they do in the real world.)

I have my eyes on the Bryston B135 SST2, which has "only" 135 watts per side. Have any of you tried this particular amp and speaker combo? If not, have you tried F32s with 135 watts or less and, if so, did this adversely affect the F32's ability to reproduce music?

Any information gratefully received! Thanks.
I would suggest putting the money into switching the F32s out for the newer 206s or even 208s if you can swing it instead of upgrading the amp. That would make a much more noticeable difference in the sound you actaully hear, IMO of course.
ambesolman likes this.
65 Electra Glide is offline  
post #7663 of 7721 Old 03-03-2015, 10:35 PM
Member
 
Mike Rubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Electra Glide View Post
I would suggest putting the money into switching the F32s out for the newer 206s or even 208s if you can swing it instead of upgrading the amp. That would make a much more noticeable difference in the sound you actaully hear, IMO of course.
I hadn't thought about this possibility. The reason for the amp change is simple: I can easily resell the amp and already have two potential purchasers for it. On the other hand, while I think it would be more difficult for me to sell and ship the speakers than the amp. I'll look into this angle. Thank you.
Mike Rubin is offline  
post #7664 of 7721 Old 03-14-2015, 01:12 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 8,045
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 342
A brand new pair of Salon 2's and a Voice 2 (with the stand) arrived yesterday to replace the Focal 1038 Be's and CC 1008 Be in my home theater system. The plan is to replace the sides and surrounds, which are currently Focal 1027 S's, with 2 pairs of Studio 2's after the budget recovers a bit and I get my money back for a pair of used Studio 2's that an Audiogon seller botched up by packing them incorrectly (if people want to see photos of what happens when you don't put the foam pieces around the base of a Studio 2 and then ship them via FedEx Ground, I can share - just be warned that it isn't pretty). Though I haven't had a chance to spend a ton of time with them yet, I'm very happy with the Salons and Voice so far.

I had thought about going with Gem 2's instead of Studio 2's for the sides and surrounds, but by the time the Gem 2 stands are purchased and discounts are factored in, the difference in price isn't all that significant and the Studios are obviously a much more substantial, full range, speaker.

Anyway, for quite a long time now, I've used Soundcare SuperSpikes instead of the spikes that come with speakers as they're a lot easier to deal with on solid wood floors. The Revel spikes have a 1/2" coarse thread and Soundcare doesn't have spikes in that size. The Revel manual mentions that the spikes that are included with the speakers are reversible, but the side that doesn't have the pointed spike is pretty much just a bolt head which isn't exactly hardwood floor friendly - I thought they would have some sort of material that would be wood floor friendly. Does anybody have a recommendation for something similar to the SuperSpikes that is available with a 1/2" coarse (13 threads per inch) thread? If I don't get any better ideas, I could get thread reducers to convert the 1/2" threads to a size that Soundcare does have, but I'd prefer to avoid using adapters.
RichB likes this.
gsr is online now  
post #7665 of 7721 Old 03-14-2015, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
4DHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: sierra ecuadoriana
Posts: 6,164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Salon 2, some of the best I've ever heard. Even number 1.

Custom, one of a kind pair, MJC212 mains, mod PT800 center, PT800 surrounds, SUB1500s. Parasound P7, Citation 19, Parasound HCA2205A, HK AVR3600, Marantz TT, Samsung BD player, Denon DVD-A player, MacBook Pro w/ Dirac Stereo Suite.
4DHD is offline  
post #7666 of 7721 Old 03-14-2015, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RichB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 9,047
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 305
^^^
I had the spikes on my Salons and Studios but that made them less stable (which counts when you have kids and teetering parental units ).

So, I just put them on little rugs that I found at building 19 (now defunct).
I did not notice any significant change in the sound.

Could small rugs + spikes work for you?

- Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StudioWithGriss.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	602193  

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 + A21 + A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
RichB is offline  
post #7667 of 7721 Old 03-14-2015, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Milt99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: West Of California
Posts: 5,241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Holy sh!t gsr,
quite the awesome upgrade.
I do have to stick my nose in and posit that Studio2s for surrounds are the epitome of overkill for movie soundtracks.
I'm sure you are aware the Revel makes some really nice surrounds.
They would actually be better for surround usage than the Studios.
But hey it's your money, right?

Regular ground shipping speakers is a very risky business even if they're properly packaged.
I paid the substantial extra for FEDEX freight and it was worth every penny.

Maybe Revel changed their spikes as mine have nylon-like inserts or whatever you'd call it on the non-spike end.

 

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Milt99 is offline  
post #7668 of 7721 Old 03-14-2015, 02:56 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 8,045
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
^^^
I had the spikes on my Salons and Studios but that made them less stable (which counts when you have kids and teetering parental units ).

So, I just put them on little rugs that I found at building 19 (now defunct).
I did not notice any significant change in the sound.

Could small rugs + spikes work for you?
Rich - I had noticed you had small rugs under yours and that is a potential option, but with Building 19 being gone, finding decent rugs on the cheap won't be as easy as it used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
I do have to stick my nose in and posit that Studio2s for surrounds are the epitome of overkill for movie soundtracks.
I'm sure you are aware the Revel makes some really nice surrounds.
They would actually be better for surround usage than the Studios.
Yeah, they're probably overkill for movies, but I listen to a decent amount of multichannel music too, want to stick with the Ultima series for consistency, and have been using floor standing speakers for years as my surrounds (previously 4 x B&W Matrix 804's, and currently 4 x Focal 1027 S's). The only other option Revel has in the Ultima series would be the Gems and once you buy the stands, it's not that much of a stretch to just go with Studios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
Regular ground shipping speakers is a very risky business even if they're properly packaged.
I paid the substantial extra for FEDEX freight and it was worth every penny.
There's definitely a risk, but I have yet to run into any damage with properly packed speakers. The moron who sold me the Studio's completely botched packing one of them - he actually shipped one of the foam pieces that should have been around the base of one of the speakers in a separate box and the other foam piece for the base of that speaker in a completely different section of the box, pretty much guaranteeing that bad things would happen . The extra box with that "extra" foam piece arrived several days before the speakers did, so I was fully expecting one speaker to be damaged, so I wasn't surprised that it did. The other speaker was packed up properly, so I don't know what on earth he was thinking unless he damaged the speaker while packing it up and intentionally screwed up the packing hoping he could get a damage claim out of FedEx. It's looking like I'm going to have to file a buyer protection claim with PayPal to get my money back in a reasonable time frame as the seller is just a complete jerk about it. The damaged speakers arrived on Monday and I'm still pretty ticked off about it as there was no need for the damage to happen the way it did and I honestly don't feel as though FedEx should pay him a dime. But he's convinced he can "bully" them into paying since he's a lawyer (or claims to be, anyway). I'm pretty sure FedEx isn't going to be bullied into paying a damage claim and I have a hunch they have a whole team of lawyers working for them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
Maybe Revel changed their spikes as mine have nylon-like inserts or whatever you'd call it on the non-spike end.
The spikes on the damaged Studios had those nylon-like inserts, but the spikes for both Salons and the Voice do not have those inserts. Maybe I'll ping the dealer and/or Revel and see if I can get an explanation, though I would still prefer to use something like the SuperSpikes as they have a wider base with a felt pad on the bottom which makes it easier to move the speakers around for things like cleaning.

Oh - one other question... To save me from getting my calipers out, does anyone know what size spade connectors are needed on the Salon 2's? My current speaker cables have bananas and I'm going to want to switch to spades on the speaker end so I can close the binding post doors on the back of the Salons (or I could stick with bananas and just take the doors off). I'm using Blue Jeans speaker cables with their welded terminations, so they have choices of 8.7mm or 10mm spade connectors. And no, I don't intend to "upgrade" to crazy expensive cables.
gsr is online now  
post #7669 of 7721 Old 03-14-2015, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Milt99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: West Of California
Posts: 5,241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Yeah if you do music then staying with Revel "regular" speakers makes sense.
Although I would think the F208 would work fine for surround use and be pretty darn close in timbre to the Ultimas.
FWIW.
You also need to know what your amp terminals are as well.
they could be different
I use Blue Jeans speaker cables too but I tinned the cable ends and go commando.
As an aside, while I have used BJ for years, I never liked their spade connectors.
Maybe they're different now and it sounds like they are.
I've used and liked Cardas spades because of you can get angled ones.
YMMV.

Good luck with your seller.
I think the guy is deluded if he thinks he can push a mega-corp like FEDEX around.
It's not like they've not been sued by customers for shipping damage 10 zillion times.

 

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Milt99 is offline  
post #7670 of 7721 Old 03-14-2015, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Rod#S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
A brand new pair of Salon 2's and a Voice 2 (with the stand) arrived yesterday to replace the Focal 1038 Be's and CC 1008 Be in my home theater system. The plan is to replace the sides and surrounds, which are currently Focal 1027 S's, with 2 pairs of Studio 2's after the budget recovers a bit and I get my money back for a pair of used Studio 2's that an Audiogon seller botched up by packing them incorrectly (if people want to see photos of what happens when you don't put the foam pieces around the base of a Studio 2 and then ship them via FedEx Ground, I can share - just be warned that it isn't pretty). Though I haven't had a chance to spend a ton of time with them yet, I'm very happy with the Salons and Voice so far.

I had thought about going with Gem 2's instead of Studio 2's for the sides and surrounds, but by the time the Gem 2 stands are purchased and discounts are factored in, the difference in price isn't all that significant and the Studios are obviously a much more substantial, full range, speaker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Yeah, they're probably overkill for movies, but I listen to a decent amount of multichannel music too, want to stick with the Ultima series for consistency, and have been using floor standing speakers for years as my surrounds (previously 4 x B&W Matrix 804's, and currently 4 x Focal 1027 S's). The only other option Revel has in the Ultima series would be the Gems and once you buy the stands, it's not that much of a stretch to just go with Studios.
Great setup you are putting together, congrats! Having towers for the surrounds makes a world of difference for multi-channel music, there's just nothing like it. Also like you mention stand mounts plus the stands can often come very close to the price of a tower and often occupy a very similar footprint so going towers makes more sense in my opinion because you have the added stability of the tower. No worries of accidentally knocking over a stand mount. You'll have to post some pics.

Rod#S is offline  
post #7671 of 7721 Old 03-14-2015, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Rod#S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
Holy sh!t gsr,
quite the awesome upgrade.
I do have to stick my nose in and posit that Studio2s for surrounds are the epitome of overkill for movie soundtracks.
I'm sure you are aware the Revel makes some really nice surrounds.
They would actually be better for surround usage than the Studios.
Why would you think a dedicated surround speaker could possibly be better than a Studio 2 for surround?

Rod#S is offline  
post #7672 of 7721 Old 03-14-2015, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Milt99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: West Of California
Posts: 5,241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
Why would you think a dedicated surround speaker could possibly be better than a Studio 2 for surround?
I don't think you could do any better than the Studio2 for a music surround speaker in an all Ultima system with one exception, Salon2s

 

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Milt99 is offline  
post #7673 of 7721 Old 03-14-2015, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
duc135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,845
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 185
These are the spade connectors I use and they work perfectly for me. The spacing between the sides is about 11/32" or 8.7mm wide.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
duc135 is online now  
post #7674 of 7721 Old 03-14-2015, 05:57 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 8,045
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
You also need to know what your amp terminals are as well.
they could be different
I use Blue Jeans speaker cables too but I tinned the cable ends and go commando.
I'm going to stick with bananas on the amp end, so no need to worry about that. I hadn't thought of going with tinned ends at the speakers, but that's worth considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
As an aside, while I have used BJ for years, I never liked their spade connectors.
I've never really been a huge fan of spades in general, the only reason I'm switching away from bananas at the speaker end is those doors on the Salon 2's (and Studio 2's).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
Good luck with your seller.
I think the guy is deluded if he thinks he can push a mega-corp like FEDEX around.
It's not like they've not been sued by customers for shipping damage 10 zillion times.
Thanks. I'm sure a PayPal claim will get me my money back, so I'm not too worried. I'm just trying to give the seller a chance to do the right thing. If he gives me my refund, he'll get his PayPal fees back.
gsr is online now  
post #7675 of 7721 Old 03-14-2015, 05:59 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 8,045
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
I don't think you could do any better than the Studio2 for a music surround speaker in an all Ultima system with one exception, Salon2s
I actually considered going with 2 more pairs of Salon 2's, but they're just enough bigger than the Studios that it would probably just look silly in the room. I haven't completely ruled the idea out though...
gsr is online now  
post #7676 of 7721 Old 03-14-2015, 06:12 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 8,045
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
These are the spade connectors I use and they work perfectly for me. The spacing between the sides is about 11/32" or 8.7mm wide.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks, those seem pretty reasonably priced.
gsr is online now  
post #7677 of 7721 Old 03-14-2015, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Milt99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: West Of California
Posts: 5,241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
I actually considered going with 2 more pairs of Salon 2's, but they're just enough bigger than the Studios that it would probably just look silly in the room. I haven't completely ruled the idea out though...
You, are a nut.
But my kinda nut.
BTW, what amps are you using?

 

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Milt99 is offline  
post #7678 of 7721 Old 03-14-2015, 06:38 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 8,045
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
You, are a nut.
But my kinda nut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
BTW, what amps are you using?
I'm using a pair of Parasound Halo JC-1's for the front left and right and a Parasound Halo A51 for the other 5 channels.
gsr is online now  
post #7679 of 7721 Old 03-15-2015, 11:13 AM
Member
 
leeshanok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post


I'm using a pair of Parasound Halo JC-1's for the front left and right and a Parasound Halo A51 for the other 5 channels.
Revel needs to use thicker and more durable factory boxes for their speakers. Other speaker manufacturers use better quality boxes. The boxes that came with my F208 were pretty weak. If I were to sell my speakers and have to ship them, I would not feel comfortable shipping them via UPS Ground. Either local pickup or ship on a pallet using UPS Freight.
leeshanok is online now  
post #7680 of 7721 Old 03-15-2015, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
lsdec's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeshanok View Post
Revel needs to use thicker and more durable factory boxes for their speakers. Other speaker manufacturers use better quality boxes. The boxes that came with my F208 were pretty weak. If I were to sell my speakers and have to ship them, I would not feel comfortable shipping them via UPS Ground. Either local pickup or ship on a pallet using UPS Freight.
Revel redid the boxes on the F208. I got the revised boxes and they are much better.
leeshanok likes this.
lsdec is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Revel

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off