Revel Owners Thread - Page 257 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 74Likes
post #7681 of 7710 Old 03-15-2015, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Ouch!
BTW, I removed the doors from my Revels right off.
IMO, they're more of a nuisance than anything.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7682 of 7710 Old 03-15-2015, 06:30 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
Ouch!
BTW, I removed the doors from my Revels right off.
IMO, they're more of a nuisance than anything.
How do the doors detach? I took a quick look at them this afternoon, but it didn't seem obvious (or maybe the lighting wasn't good enough). I don't want to break anything by prying things in the wrong direction...

Edit: I got the doors off. Just a little pressure at the top pivot point allows them to pop out. So I can stick with my current cables with banana plugs.

Last edited by gsr; 03-16-2015 at 07:52 AM.
post #7683 of 7710 Old 03-18-2015, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Heartbreaking photos.... I hope things get resolved properly.
post #7684 of 7710 Old 03-18-2015, 08:59 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECS01 View Post
Heartbreaking photos.... I hope things get resolved properly.
Thanks. I've started a claim with PayPal. The seller claims he already spent the money and has no way to refund me unless FedEx pays the damage claim (which could take months based on previous experience with a damage claim I had to file with UPS). Assuming PayPal finds in my favor, I believe they'll give me a refund pretty quickly and then extract the money from the seller. As with FedEx, I don't think they'll be intimidated by him being a lawyer either...
post #7685 of 7710 Old 03-19-2015, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
How do the doors detach? I took a quick look at them this afternoon, but it didn't seem obvious (or maybe the lighting wasn't good enough). I don't want to break anything by prying things in the wrong direction...

Edit: I got the doors off. Just a little pressure at the top pivot point allows them to pop out. So I can stick with my current cables with banana plugs.
Sorry I missed your question for me.
But I was going to say that it's really simple to do and takes a just a bit of tweak on the top or bottom of the door as the pins are pretty small.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #7686 of 7710 Old 03-23-2015, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a pair of Salon2s and now I'm trying to find a center, I have heard Voice2, and C208 in 2 different dealers with different systems and amplification and room setups, unfortunately I was not able to make a decision between the 2 and high sticker price of Voice2 doesn't help.
I would rather to just get a C208 but I wish to know if you think the price difference is justified in sound qulaity. My room is 22X26 with vaulted ceiling, 300wpc power will be available to this speaker.
Has anyone audition them back to back, What was your impression? Is the 6K price difference justifiable? Should I just forget about timber matching and look completely elsewhere ? Any input is appreciated.
post #7687 of 7710 Old 03-23-2015, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by babak147 View Post
I have a pair of Salon2s and now I'm trying to find a center, I have heard Voice2, and C208 in 2 different dealers with different systems and amplification and room setups, unfortunately I was not able to make a decision between the 2 and high sticker price of Voice2 doesn't help.
I would rather to just get a C208 but I wish to know if you think the price difference is justified in sound qulaity. My room is 22X26 with vaulted ceiling, 300wpc power will be available to this speaker.
Has anyone audition them back to back, What was your impression? Is the 6K price difference justifiable? Should I just forget about timber matching and look completely elsewhere ? Any input is appreciated.
I was just contemplating the same thing except I have the F/C 208's across the front. The C208 sounds wonderful but it's being powered by a new JC1 so I'm wondering if the Voice2 would be worth the upgrade cost. The center channel is a big priority for me and I assumed I'd be moving to the Studios next but if there was better center out there I'd be all ears.....
babak147 likes this.
post #7688 of 7710 Old 03-23-2015, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith2 View Post
I was just contemplating the same thing except I have the F/C 208's across the front. The C208 sounds wonderful but it's being powered by a new JC1 so I'm wondering if the Voice2 would be worth the upgrade cost. The center channel is a big priority for me and I assumed I'd be moving to the Studios next but if there was better center out there I'd be all ears.....
I also have the F208 and C208.

It a simple purchase decision imho. Buy the center that matches your mains but if you are planning on upgrading your mains in the near future, then buy the center that'll match those.

If you already have F208 and C208 then there is nothing to do until you upgrade the mains. The C208 is a great center channel - it elevates our Performa3 setup to a pretty darn high standard because even when some competitors have mains that could be a little better than the F208, they rarely have a center at similar prices that exceeds the C208. It's a great combo that does music and movies equally well.

If you are still torn between the voice2 and C208, you have to do an in home audition with your Salons. There is no way around it.
babak147 likes this.
post #7689 of 7710 Old 03-23-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdec View Post

If you are still torn between the voice2 and C208, you have to do an in home audition with your Salons. There is no way around it.
Most dealers don't even have Voice2 on display for an audition, let alone letting you have an in home audition. This is NYC and CT area, I don't know how it works elsewhere.
post #7690 of 7710 Old 03-23-2015, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Most dealers don't even have Voice2 on display for an audition, let alone letting you have an in home audition. This is NYC and CT area, I don't know how it works elsewhere.
That's a problem with these dealers and manufacturers these days.

Come to think of it, no dealers in Chicago really have more than the main speakers on display. They do display the C208 though...

Salons -> voice imho. Unless you are willing to compromise.
babak147 likes this.
post #7691 of 7710 Old 03-24-2015, 03:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:

The only Revel dealer here in southeast Michigan has a F208's and 206's set up in his dedicated home theater for audition for floor standing speakers, that's it. I've owned my F208's for almost 1 year and am very happy but have always been curious what the Salon 2's sound like. The dealer himself said he's never sold a pair of Salons and has never heard them either.

There currently is a pair of Salon 2's available locally on Audigon and I'm curious just to audition them. I don't know if my Emotiva XPR-5 would be worthy though...
post #7692 of 7710 Old 03-24-2015, 05:23 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by steady teddy View Post
The only Revel dealer here in southeast Michigan has a F208's and 206's set up in his dedicated home theater for audition for floor standing speakers, that's it. I've owned my F208's for almost 1 year and am very happy but have always been curious what the Salon 2's sound like. The dealer himself said he's never sold a pair of Salons and has never heard them either.
What's the value of the local dealer when they don't have product setup to demonstrate, don't even have any experience with the product they're selling, and most likely don't have that product in stock? At that point, they're no better than an online dealer where you can almost certainly get a better price and have them shipped directly to your home instead of to the dealer and then have to figure out how to get them home if you don't have a large SUV or pickup truck handy. IMO, a lot of these manufacturers need to rethink their distribution and sales policies.

That said, I'm VERY happy with my Salon 2's and Voice 2 so far.
post #7693 of 7710 Old 03-24-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
. I don't know if my Emotiva XPR-5 would be worthy though...
Disclaimer: I don't have golden ears.
I have switched back and forth with many amps , My most expensive was a Krell Kav 500. Right now I'm running my Salon2s with Crown XLS 2500 and My B&W 800D2s with Yamaha P7000S , I'm very happy.
Once I did many A/Bs and couldn't decide which is which I sold my Krell. If I provided enough clean power I couldn't tell the difference.
I'm sure there are many that disagree with me but I really tried to like Krell better with no luck.
beaveav likes this.
post #7694 of 7710 Old 03-24-2015, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
What's the value of the local dealer when they don't have product setup to demonstrate, don't even have any experience with the product they're selling, and most likely don't have that product in stock? At that point, they're no better than an online dealer where you can almost certainly get a better price and have them shipped directly to your home instead of to the dealer and then have to figure out how to get them home if you don't have a large SUV or pickup truck handy. IMO, a lot of these manufacturers need to rethink their distribution and sales policies.

That said, I'm VERY happy with my Salon 2's and Voice 2 so far.
The local Revel dealer is not a traditional B&M retail store. He actually works out of his home and his beautiful dedicated home theater is his demo room for the Revels. A rather unique agreement he has with Revel I assume. If it weren't for him, I would have had to drive out of state to demo Revels. He was great to deal with and he told me he'd "love to sell me a $22,000 pair of speakers" but for my budget the F208 would fit my needs. And like any dealer, if he wants to showcase the Salon 2 in his HT he has to pay for them so if no one else has enquired about them then why bother?

I can't afford the Salon 2 at retail, not now anyway. Perhaps used though...
post #7695 of 7710 Old 03-24-2015, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Disclaimer: I don't have golden ears.
I have switched back and forth with many amps , My most expensive was a Krell Kav 500. Right now I'm running my Salon2s with Crown XLS 2500 and My B&W 800D2s with Yamaha P7000S , I'm very happy.
Once I did many A/Bs and couldn't decide which is which I sold my Krell. If I provided enough clean power I couldn't tell the difference.
I'm sure there are many that disagree with me but I really tried to like Krell better with no luck.
Did you happen to get a chance to hear your Salons with Mark Levinson's? I originally had the 532+3H and second guessed the purchase figuring I over spent given the rest of the system and afterall, amps are just amps, right? Well I foolishly sold them and I've regretted every moment since. I picked up the new ATI 6005 Signature Series (which has been very well received) and hated it. HT was ok but for music it was harsh and fatiguing. I ran it solid for a month hoping it would cool down to no avail. Ended up taking a major hit on it and settled into Parasound, which is closer in sound. Given the opportunity I would go back to the ML's but the loss I took made that an impossibility.
I would highly recommend the new ML amps to anyone with Revels, I cannot begin to fathom what they must sound like with Salons.
post #7696 of 7710 Old 03-24-2015, 10:17 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
The local Revel dealer is not a traditional B&M retail store. He actually works out of his home and his beautiful dedicated home theater is his demo room for the Revels. A rather unique agreement he has with Revel I assume. If it weren't for him, I would have had to drive out of state to demo Revels. He was great to deal with and he told me he'd "love to sell me a $22,000 pair of speakers" but for my budget the F208 would fit my needs. And like any dealer, if he wants to showcase the Salon 2 in his HT he has to pay for them so if no one else has enquired about them then why bother?
I meant dealers in general, not just your specific dealer as your situation isn't unique in not being able to audition anything other than a very limited selection of products at the local dealer.
babak147 likes this.
post #7697 of 7710 Old 03-25-2015, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I decided to do a hybrid setup with Salons and previous Performa center. It works but if you really pay attention in multichannel you can tell where the salons are cleaner and have a better top end. If budget is no object then go with the voice. If budget is a serious consideration then go with the Performa.
babak147 likes this.
post #7698 of 7710 Old 04-04-2015, 04:51 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
I actually considered going with 2 more pairs of Salon 2's, but they're just enough bigger than the Studios that it would probably just look silly in the room. I haven't completely ruled the idea out though...
So flash forward to a few days ago...

I finally got my money back from the damaged Studio 2's via a PayPal claim. The seller just completely ignored the claim, but did send me an email letting me know that FedEx approved the claim for the damaged speaker and is letting him keep both speakers. Ugh, so if he gets a new base to replace the broken one, he'll probably come out ahead in the end.

The day after I go my money back, I got a call letting me know that some dealer demo Salon 2's and Gem 2's are available with full warranty at a fairly attractive price. So I'll be using Salon 2's for the sides and Gem 2's for the rears. This should actually work out fairly well because multichannel music is usually 5.1 and will make good use of the 2nd pair of Salon 2's, and the Gem 2's should be fine as rear speakers which really only get used for movies. After moving the Salon 2's around in the room to see how they would look, it was clear that they would fit just as well as Studio 2's in the side speaker location (the difference in footprint between the 2 is negligible), but either model would really be too big in the locations where the rear speakers need to go.
post #7699 of 7710 Old 04-05-2015, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith2 View Post
Did you happen to get a chance to hear your Salons with Mark Levinson's? I originally had the 532+3H and second guessed the purchase figuring I over spent given the rest of the system and afterall, amps are just amps, right? Well I foolishly sold them and I've regretted every moment since. I picked up the new ATI 6005 Signature Series (which has been very well received) and hated it. HT was ok but for music it was harsh and fatiguing. I ran it solid for a month hoping it would cool down to no avail. Ended up taking a major hit on it and settled into Parasound, which is closer in sound. Given the opportunity I would go back to the ML's but the loss I took made that an impossibility.
I would highly recommend the new ML amps to anyone with Revels, I cannot begin to fathom what they must sound like with Salons.
+1 to this. I was originally driving my Salon 2s with a pair of Bel Canto Ref1000s and upgraded to the ML No 532 (the reference model not the H series). I was ready to return the 532 if the difference wasn't palpable given the price. Massive upgrade when listening to music (have moved the BCs to power the Gem 2 rears).

Revel Ultima2 Salon2 [pair] || Revel Ultima2 Voice2 || Revel Ultima2 Gem2 [quad] || JL Audio Fathom f212 [pair]
Mark Levinson No 502 || Mark Levinson No 532 || Bel Canto REF1000 [pair] || Audiophilleo2 w/PurePower || Furman IT-Reference 20i

HtdHvy's (ever-evolving) Audiophile Home Theater Rig
post #7700 of 7710 Old 04-08-2015, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hellos guys, I am interested in the Revel Performa3 and would like some advice.

Currently I am using Focal 806V and CC800V for the front and centre speakers powered by a Proceed AMP3 , but i find the mid and bass do not meet my requirement. Mostly i use them for HT and the listening area is very compact (~120 sq.ft). So i have been looking for upgrades and now I am on the fence between KEF and Revel.

Option 1: KEF R300C & R200C
Option 2: Revel M106 & C205
Option 3: Revel M105 & C205

I live in Hong Kong and I could not find an audition with either M105 or M106. I just audtioned the F206 and am impressed by the mid.
If I go with M106, it would be $650 more expensive than the KEF. But I once saw in this thread that the M105 would be a better choice over the M106. But then the M105's driver is smaller than my Focal 806V which seems like a downgrade.

So any advice on which i should go for ?

Should i pay the extra bucks for the Revel M106 (which i havent auditioned) or go with the KEF?

Cheers

Leo
post #7701 of 7710 Old 04-09-2015, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Leung View Post
Hellos guys, I am interested in the Revel Performa3 and would like some advice.

Currently I am using Focal 806V and CC800V for the front and centre speakers powered by a Proceed AMP3 , but i find the mid and bass do not meet my requirement. Mostly i use them for HT and the listening area is very compact (~120 sq.ft). So i have been looking for upgrades and now I am on the fence between KEF and Revel.

Option 1: KEF R300C & R200C
Option 2: Revel M106 & C205
Option 3: Revel M105 & C205
All of those speakers would be an upgrade in terms of mid and high frequencies, but only the R300 would be a substantial upgrade in terms of bass, owing to its 3-way design and larger cabinet.

Since you already listened to the F206 and liked it, maybe you should consider them. They have the most bass extension of the group.

Theater room: Sony VPL HW30ES, DIY 100" screen with Seymour Centerstage XD, 5 Revel M105, 2 JBL Studio 210, 4 SVS SB12-NSD, Anthem MRX-300
Living room: Panasonic TC-P60VT60, 3 KEF LS50, Pioneer SW-8, Marantz NR1603
post #7702 of 7710 Old 04-09-2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticShrimp View Post
All of those speakers would be an upgrade in terms of mid and high frequencies, but only the R300 would be a substantial upgrade in terms of bass, owing to its 3-way design and larger cabinet.

Since you already listened to the F206 and liked it, maybe you should consider them. They have the most bass extension of the group.
The space is limited, I could only use bookshelf speakers. So in any aspect that Revel may be better than KEF?
post #7703 of 7710 Old 04-10-2015, 04:59 AM

From my experience the hierarchy is something like this:

In terms of bass;
F206 > R300 > M106 > M105

In terms of everything else:
M105 > F206 > M106 > R300
post #7704 of 7710 Old 04-10-2015, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
So flash forward to a few days ago...

I finally got my money back from the damaged Studio 2's via a PayPal claim. The seller just completely ignored the claim, but did send me an email letting me know that FedEx approved the claim for the damaged speaker and is letting him keep both speakers. Ugh, so if he gets a new base to replace the broken one, he'll probably come out ahead in the end.

The day after I go my money back, I got a call letting me know that some dealer demo Salon 2's and Gem 2's are available with full warranty at a fairly attractive price. So I'll be using Salon 2's for the sides and Gem 2's for the rears. This should actually work out fairly well because multichannel music is usually 5.1 and will make good use of the 2nd pair of Salon 2's, and the Gem 2's should be fine as rear speakers which really only get used for movies. After moving the Salon 2's around in the room to see how they would look, it was clear that they would fit just as well as Studio 2's in the side speaker location (the difference in footprint between the 2 is negligible), but either model would really be too big in the locations where the rear speakers need to go.
Wow, this worked out really well then. Salon's for surrounds, that's awesome.

post #7705 of 7710 Old 04-11-2015, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticShrimp View Post
From my experience the hierarchy is something like this:

In terms of bass;
F206 > R300 > M106 > M105

In terms of everything else:
M105 > F206 > M106 > R300
I am using the JL Audio E110 subwoofer and the crossover setting is set at 80HZ. I guess this would help the bass performance.

Which one would you recommend for movie purpose? Should i choose M105 instead of M1016

It's interesting that the M105 performs better than the M106 with a smaller driver and cabinet, other than bass.
post #7706 of 7710 Old 04-12-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Leung View Post

Which one would you recommend for movie purpose? Should i choose M105 instead of M1016

It's interesting that the M105 performs better than the M106 with a smaller driver and cabinet, other than bass.
I'd get the m105 since you have a sub.

You may want to note that the floor standing performa3 models are designed with the 5.25" midrange driver. In fact, if you take a cursory look at some other excellent measuring speakers from KEF,TAD,and PSB you'll note that the 1" dome tweeter in a waveguide mated to a 5.25" driver is a common recipe for good performance.

The reason for this is that the directivity of a 5.25" driver better matches the zone in which most 1" domes can play with comfortably with low distortion. A 6.5" driver starts beaming at roughly 2100 Hz. A 5.25" doesn't start beaming until a more comfortable 2600 Hz.

The off-axis directivity shift in the M106 is well managed, but present. It is, however, about a dB more sensitive. In reality, the differences between them are really minor, and I doubt most people will tell the difference blind. But when it comes to your hard earned money every little difference counts.
65 Electra Glide likes this.
post #7707 of 7710 Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hi all:

I recently purchased F208s and I am looking to rebuild a 5.1 system. This time around, I am looking for a more musical setup. I've had many av receivers, the last being a NAD 787 and I have never been fully happy with the music side of things. I have also had separates like Rotel and Parasound processors and multi-channel amps and was not fully happy either.

So, I was thinking of going with an integrated stereo amp with a hometheater bypass to an AV receiver. My one hang up is having different amps powering the L/R and whether or not this will affect 5.1 sound. I will use the C208 and M105 or the bipolar surrounds.

My thoughts are:

Primare I32 with a Pioneer Elite - sticking to all Class D amplification.
Hegel H160 with some AV receiver - Marantz perhaps
Simaudio Moon Neo 340i with some AV receiver

Any guidance on this kind of setup is very much appreciated.

Thanks!
post #7708 of 7710 Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecmess View Post
Hi all:

I recently purchased F208s and I am looking to rebuild a 5.1 system. This time around, I am looking for a more musical setup. I've had many av receivers, the last being a NAD 787 and I have never been fully happy with the music side of things. I have also had separates like Rotel and Parasound processors and multi-channel amps and was not fully happy either.

So, I was thinking of going with an integrated stereo amp with a hometheater bypass to an AV receiver. My one hang up is having different amps powering the L/R and whether or not this will affect 5.1 sound. I will use the C208 and M105 or the bipolar surrounds.

My thoughts are:

Simaudio Moon Neo 340i with some AV receiver

Any guidance on this kind of setup is very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Check out the Emotiva XMC-1 thread. I doubt any of the listed equipment above will sound any better and will cost much more.
post #7709 of 7710 Unread Today, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
Check out the Emotiva XMC-1 thread. I doubt any of the listed equipment above will sound any better and will cost much more.
Thanks - I will take a look.
post #7710 of 7710 Unread Today, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecmess View Post
Hi all:

Simaudio Moon Neo 340i with some AV receiver.

Thanks!
I've been using different amps for years in a MC setup.
And my mains are different than my center/surrounds and still not a problem...perfect sonic match.
imo, Parasound should mate well with Revels as they do with JBLs, Infinity. So I don't see why you have had problems with your setups.
I don't know that Class D will be an improvement.

The need for bi/dipolar surrounds went out with DPL..with digital, discrete channels monopole are better. imo

Custom, one of a kind pair, MJC212 mains, mod PT800 center, PT800 surrounds, SUB1500s. Parasound P7, Citation 19, Parasound HCA2205A, HK AVR3600, Marantz TT, Denon disc player, MacBook Pro w/ DragonFly DAC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Revel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page