Revel Owners Thread - Page 258 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 77Likes

post #7711 of 7724 Old 04-24-2015, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecmess View Post
Thanks - I will take a look.
I have the XMC-1 w the XPR-2 and XPR-5 driving my F208/C208/F12. It sounds great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7712 of 7724 Old 05-05-2015, 11:49 AM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Here are some pictures of the big upgrades I did by adding an all Revel Performa3 11 channel theatre, with 2 Paradigm Reference Studio Sub15's. Sounds amazing. We also upgraded our seating in the front row to now include a couch with reclining leg rests, because mom wanted more family cuddle time and the individual theatre seats did not allow. I miss the cup holders most of all.

Revel Performa3
F-208 Front L/R
C-208 Center
F-206 Wides L/R
M-105 Heights L/R
S-206 Surround L/R
S-206 Surround Back L/R

Paradigm
Reference Studio Sub15's

Love it so far
RichB, laserjock II and ambesolman like this.
post #7713 of 7724 Old 05-05-2015, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Very impressive! I can only imagine, having just a single pair of F208s myself.
post #7714 of 7724 Old 05-05-2015, 06:33 PM
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by denydog View Post
Very impressive! I can only imagine, having just a single pair of F208s myself.
Thank you.

Very happy with the results.
post #7715 of 7724 Old 05-11-2015, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I had a chance to buy some Revel In-wall and In-ceiling speakers at huge discount from ebay. I bought the C536 and W536. These speakers seem to be basically the same as the Revel C363, W363 and C763 and W763, just with the addition of additional features but woofer and tweeter the same. I listened to them just out of the box and installing it on some drywall sheets as practice. I haven’t put them in the wall yet. My original speakers are NHT SuperOne and SuperZero for 5.1, with a Velodyne VX-11 subwoofer. I have a hard time finding reviews for in-walls and want anyone to be able to google the Revel’s and actually get someone’s opinion that has them and compare them with the highly rated and inexpensive NHT’s.

Revel Speakers $350 MSRP:

Pros
- The dialog and sfx seems to pop at you. I can understand them much more clearly then the NHT’s and play louder with less amp. Rated at 88 dB sensitivity vs 86 dB for NHT.
- Excellent quality at low and medium volume. I am happy listening to movies and music at 60db or less range (using my iPhone db program to measure the volume). NHT’s I have to up them to at least 70db+ range.

Cons
- The speakers seem to have some sibilance. Meaning the voices seems to have a hissing effect at the end of the word. It is worse in poor or old quality material, such as radio, tv. It is much less on Bluray.
- When I listened to the music for Transformers: Age of Extinction on Apple TV, it sounds very different than my car speakers, headphones, earphones, NHT speakers, etc. Just not as “full” as the others. It seems the frequency response on the speakers is probably off in some areas. This doesn’t apply to all types of music, just some. Although music with dialogue is excellent.

NHT Speakers $99 and $125 MSRP:

Pros
- Excellent dynamics, detail, soundstage, and imaging, when playing at loud volume.
- Has no sibilance on any material, and I’ve had them for 15 years in various homes/apartments, distance, configuration, stands, walls, etc. and excellent.

Cons
- Horrible and thin sounding with low and medium volume. Cannot understand the dialogue that good and so have to crank it up which upsets my wife and now I have 2 kids (toddler and baby) so can only do that when they are not there.

Conclusion:

Frist, those NHT’s are awesome if you want to play them loud and are super cheap. The Revel inwall/inceiling isn’t as good at the same loud volume but doesn’t mean it is bad. If the NHT gets 10 at high volume, then I will give the Revel a 8ish. However, at low/moderate volume, I give the Revels a 10 and the NHT a 4ish range. Since 95% of my time is listening at low to moderate volume, I prefer the Revel’s.
I’m going to try to the on-walls next, if I can get a good deal on ebay because I think paying MSRP for any speaker is crazy unless you have a lot of disposable income. And I got the revel’s for about $125 each.
If I notice a difference in quality after I install the Revel’s in my wall/ceiling, I will update my review.
post #7716 of 7724 Old 05-11-2015, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post

Revel Performa3
F-208 Front L/R
C-208 Center
F-206 Wides L/R
M-105 Heights L/R
S-206 Surround L/R
S-206 Surround Back L/R

Paradigm
Reference Studio Sub15's

Love it so far
Still gotta find me some of those Canadian isolation feet...
post #7717 of 7724 Old 05-11-2015, 07:53 AM
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Still gotta find me some of those Canadian isolation feet...
What can I say? Lol

We love our hockey, and it works so well for nearly nothing invested in the price of a "bucket 'O pucks"

Thanks for viewing.
post #7718 of 7724 Old 05-12-2015, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone happen to know if there are fake Revel's out there.

I just bought my 3rd Revel in-ceiling/in-wall speaker on Ebay. I paid $70 for the old model, C560, which is the same as the newer C563 model except for the brackets to grasp the ceiling. $70 is a lot cheaper than $350. This is listed as "new other", which I'm assuming is excessive stock or someone who returned it but never used it. I also got the C563 for $150 and it was worth $350. Since I have never heard them before, I can't compare them to anything and I'm assuming they are legit. Box, manual, etc. all look good to me. It even sounds pretty good, similar sound signature (bright) like the Harman Kardon Soundsticks I have.
post #7719 of 7724 Old 05-20-2015, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Dealer recommended 5.1 - Thoughts Please

Hi Everyone:

I am trying to configure a 5.1 system based off my f208. a job change put me in the city and I am now in an apartment. The space is 15X 12 with the main speakers on the 12 foot wall. The right side opens to the kitchen. The couch is against the back wall, but I moved up about a foot so I can get surrounds there.

The dealer I visited locally recommended this:

C208 center
S12 surrounds - save $1000 vs. S206

Hegel 160 integrated for mains - my request as I want a high end integrated with DAC for 2 channel. This is still debatable.

Marantz S5009 or Anthem 510 since Hegel will run mains at 150 watts per channel.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
post #7720 of 7724 Old 05-21-2015, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I would strongly suggest that if you go with an integrated that you audition the new Krell Vanguard Integrated amplifier. It's among the most digitally savvy integrated amps out on the market. It also has HDMI and network support. The preamp and amplification are impeccable.

Between the marantz and anthem I would choose the Anthem primarily because of ARC. I find ARC to be a better product than Audyssey. Double check the Marantz. Normally they give you a lower edition and if you want more filters and measurement positions you need to upgrade to Audyssey pro at extra cost. Anthem has none of that and you get the full product with a high end calibrated mic.

I personally use an Anthem AVM50v with my Revel setup.
post #7721 of 7724 Old 05-22-2015, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
I would strongly suggest that if you go with an integrated that you audition the new Krell Vanguard Integrated amplifier. It's among the most digitally savvy integrated amps out on the market. It also has HDMI and network support. The preamp and amplification are impeccable.

Between the marantz and anthem I would choose the Anthem primarily because of ARC. I find ARC to be a better product than Audyssey. Double check the Marantz. Normally they give you a lower edition and if you want more filters and measurement positions you need to upgrade to Audyssey pro at extra cost. Anthem has none of that and you get the full product with a high end calibrated mic.

I personally use an Anthem AVM50v with my Revel setup.
Thanks, I will check out the Krell.

Any thoughts on the surrounds?
post #7722 of 7724 Old 05-27-2015, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecmess View Post
Thanks, I will check out the Krell.

Any thoughts on the surrounds?
The S12 is a good speaker. My favorite surround is the Performa S30 because it allowed you to run the speaker into monopole or dipole mode. I don't believe that the S12 allows you to do that. If your seating is close to the rear wall where the surrounds will be, you may do better with the S12s but it's really a toss-up. If it's going to save you $1,000 then I'd jump at the S12s personally. You're better off investing that $1,000 in better electronics.

post #7723 of 7724 Old Today, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post
Here are some pictures of the big upgrades I did by adding an all Revel Performa3 11 channel theatre, with 2 Paradigm Reference Studio Sub15's. Sounds amazing. We also upgraded our seating in the front row to now include a couch with reclining leg rests, because mom wanted more family cuddle time and the individual theatre seats did not allow. I miss the cup holders most of all.

Revel Performa3
F-208 Front L/R
C-208 Center
F-206 Wides L/R
M-105 Heights L/R
S-206 Surround L/R
S-206 Surround Back L/R

Paradigm
Reference Studio Sub15's

Love it so far
If you stop posting about your room, I wont look for you. But if you dont, I will look for you. I will find you. And I will never leave this room.

Marantz SR5008 - Klipsch CF-2 - Morell surrounds - Sharp 60" - Sony BDP-S1100
DIY dual 12" Infinity sealed subs w/ crown xls1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Revel