Revel Owners Thread - Page 265 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 131Likes

Old 10-10-2015, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
Rich, thanks for the response! i did not know you could get Yo-YoMa Plays Ennio Morricone" on SACD, when I bought it I could only find Red Book CD. Where did you get it? P. S. That is as classical as I get. I have 2L's reference disk that does nothing for me.
I got my sacd copy about one year ago. Amazing sound. Being a SACD copy it is a must! Beautiful and pure bliss like someone says in this forum

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...morricone+sacd

Last edited by aracGuate; 10-11-2015 at 05:01 PM. Reason: mispelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2015, 12:14 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
Rich, thanks for the response! i did not know you could get Yo-YoMa Plays Ennio Morricone" on SACD, when I bought it I could only find Red Book CD. Where did you get it? P. S. That is as classical as I get. I have 2L's reference disk that does nothing for me.
I bought it years ago. It is classical, but has some classic sound-tracks

- Rich

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 + A21 + A51 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15
Old 10-21-2015, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Atoms Setup in the Future

I talked to Revel a couple of weeks ago. They told me only the in-ceiling speakers (I forget which model) is certified for Atmos.

I'm not doing anything soon but down the road was thinking of hanging 4 M106's or M105's from the ceiling instead. I have 13' high ceilings. I have F208's as mains and a C208 currently.

I don't have a dedicated HT room. It's in my great room. I can post some pics later when I get time if anyone cares to know what I'm dealing with.

Does anyone else have a similar setup? does this sound like it may or may not work?

Thanks
Old 11-22-2015, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

Anybody here with experience with the Revel Rhythm 2?

Using a preamp with two sets of full range output conectors, can I use one set for two Rhythm 2 (right + left), measure the room response and have them work together with the full range speakers in the lower frequencies, but helping decrease the room modes?

Thanks,

VPN
Old 11-22-2015, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by steady teddy View Post
I talked to Revel a couple of weeks ago. They told me only the in-ceiling speakers (I forget which model) is certified for Atmos.

I'm not doing anything soon but down the road was thinking of hanging 4 M106's or M105's from the ceiling instead. I have 13' high ceilings. I have F208's as mains and a C208 currently.

I don't have a dedicated HT room. It's in my great room. I can post some pics later when I get time if anyone cares to know what I'm dealing with.

Does anyone else have a similar setup? does this sound like it may or may not work?

Thanks
The in-ceiling ATMOS certified speaker is the C763L:

http://www.revelspeakers.com/product...uct/c763l.html

The C763L is also a popular choice for in-ceiling LCR.

I suppose you could hang the bookshelk speakers instead. If you like, I can get some input from my inside contacts at Revel on your idea.

FYI, I am using 3 JBL LSR708s Pro Monitors as LCRs in my system and am working up to a full Synthesis system. My ATMOS speakers will be the C763Ls x 4 (my ceiling is 8' vs. your 12'). I've got a pair coming shortly and I will be installing them in December. Side surrounds will either be Revels or JBLs (to replace the Paradigms I have now). I'm a Synthesis / Revel dealer and I've been working directly with the Harman engineers to design my demo system.

Love to see a pic of your system! My room is 15 1/2' x 22' and does open in the back to my kitchen.

John Schuermann
www.thescreeningroomav.com (under construction) Home Theater Design
JS Music and Sound Post Production Audio / Original Music for Film and Video
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
Old 11-22-2015, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurance_Man View Post
Hello,

Anybody here with experience with the Revel Rhythm 2?

Using a preamp with two sets of full range output conectors, can I use one set for two Rhythm 2 (right + left), measure the room response and have them work together with the full range speakers in the lower frequencies, but helping decrease the room modes?

Thanks,

VPN
I got a chance to listen to the Rhythm2s during my visit to Harman Academy in August (Harman Academy is the two day intensive training event for Revel / JBL system designers / dealers). We got to listen to the entire Revel line demoed in lead designer Kevin Voecks' own home. The Rhythm2 would certainly qualify as one of the very best subwoofers on the market.

If I understand you correctly, you would like to use the low frequency drivers in your full range speakers as essentially a pair of "subs" that you could then use in conjunction with the Rhythm subs to essentially create a "4 subwoofer system" to cancel out room modes. Is this correct? I can try to get some input from my contacts at Revel to see if this is a viable scenario. It would help to know what your full range speakers are, since based upon my best understanding, it's important to know the response and characteristics of each subwoofer to be able to properly design such a "room mode" cancelling system. With Synthesis systems, JBL considers it important that each sub in the system be capable of similar excursion and have the same size driver (in other words, 18" drivers all around) so they can predict how much air the subs are actually moving.

Be curious to know more about your system

John Schuermann
Old 11-22-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post
I got a chance to listen to the Rhythm2s during my visit to Harman Academy in August (Harman Academy is the two day intensive training event for Revel / JBL system designers / dealers). We got to listen to the entire Revel line demoed in lead designer Kevin Voecks' own home. The Rhythm2 would certainly qualify as one of the very best subwoofers on the market.

If I understand you correctly, you would like to use the low frequency drivers in your full range speakers as essentially a pair of "subs" that you could then use in conjunction with the Rhythm subs to essentially create a "4 subwoofer system" to cancel out room modes. Is this correct? I can try to get some input from my contacts at Revel to see if this is a viable scenario. It would help to know what your full range speakers are, since based upon my best understanding, it's important to know the response and characteristics of each subwoofer to be able to properly design such a "room mode" cancelling system. With Synthesis systems, JBL considers it important that each sub in the system be capable of similar excursion and have the same size driver (in other words, 18" drivers all around) so they can predict how much air the subs are actually moving.

Be curious to know more about your system
Hello John,

My speakers are full-range. They are highly modded Dunlavy SC-VI with new external Duelund crossovers and other changes (they sound much better than in their original configuration). Each has two 15" drivers, so four in total.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...206661296&view

My room has several room modes. The strongest being peaks at 25hz and 38-41hz.

I don't want to use digital correction in the main signal path, I already tried Accourate and Dirac and being my fault or not, I preferred without. I want to keep the signal to the Dunlavy SC-VI direct from the preamp and power amps, with no digital processing.

I would like to just add two Revel Rhythm 2, if possible, to work together with them in the lowest frequencies, but the digital processing would take place only in the two Rhythm 2, if they can do it. They would have to adjust the delay/phase while working together with the 15" drivers so they decrease the room mode peaks.

If this is not possible, to have them working together, I suppose another option would be to insert a crossover in the path and let the two Rhythm 2 deal with frequencies lower than 40hz or 55hz perhaps, doing their correction but operating alone.

Cheers,

VPN

Last edited by Endurance_Man; 11-22-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurance_Man View Post
Hello John,

My speakers are full-range. They are highly modded Dunlavy SC-VI with new external Duelund crossovers and other changes (they sound much better than in their original configuration). Each has two 15" drivers, so four in total.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...206661296&view

My room has several room modes. The strongest being peaks at 25hz and 38-41hz.

I don't want to use digital correction in the main signal path, I already tried Accourate and Dirac and being my fault or not, I preferred without. I want to keep the signal to the Dunlavy SC-VI direct from the preamp, with no digital processing.

I would like to just add two Revel Rhythm 2, if possible, to work together with them in the lowest frequencies, but the digital processing would take place only in the two Rhythm 2, if they can do it. They would be a need to adjust the delay so they decrease the room mode peaks.

If this is not possible, to have them working together, I suppose another option would be to insert a crossover in the path and let the two Rhythm 2 deal with frequencies lower than 40hz or 55hz perhaps, doing their correction but operating alone.

Cheers,

VPN
Interesting. I'm familiar with the Dunlavys (I had a set of SCIIIs years ago).

Let me see what I can find out

John Schuermann
Old 11-26-2015, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 36
What the...

Just wondering if Revel/Harman has changed their criteria for retailers to sell their product.

Less than a year ago here in southeast Michigan there was only ONE authorized Revel dealer AFI recall. Now I just discovered by accident (doing a search for Parasound dealers) there are 6 all within 50 miles from me. Not that I'm complaining but I just find that quite a lot in a short period of time...
Old 11-27-2015, 01:34 PM

Liked: 0
I have also auditioned Revel F208 AND Focal Electra 1028 BE. (The shop did not have the 1038BE's that were on my list.)

Winner: Revel F208
Both hooked up to same gears. The shop owner moved wires between the speekers.
Integrated amplifier: Mark Levinson No.585
Blura yplayer: Pioneer BDP-LX88

Music: Malia & Boris Blank "Convergence"

I started to listen at Revel F208 that sounded very smooth and comfortable despite rather high sound level. One thing I noticed almost direct was the sound, very well sounding music with powerful song and bass.

Switched to Focal 1028 after 45 minutes of listening. Huge difference!!! Very harsh hard sound that gave my ears more than they wanted. The sound was no longer good music into one, more analytic and separated sound in tweeter, midrange and bass. The bass was good and tight with nice pump though.

But my ears could not take it for long, neither my head when I got headache after 20-30 minutes. I understood that Electra 1028/1038 cannot replace my old Monitor Audio GR60 setup that also has slightly sharp tweeter. My wife should not be able to hear it.

Switched back to Revel F208. I had to know how I think now after the Electra experience. Should they sound too laidback, missing details?
No, nice wonderful music without lack of details. My family will love them.

The more detailed harsh sound from the Electra's is nothing I want when it is a tweeter that take too much focus. My family would not feel good either with that harsh sound.

Maybe the Electra 1028 sound different with different amplifier that need a harsher sounding speaker...
The Revel large center speaker will match really good to with large woofers of same size as the F208. I'm sure it will sound well together. I have not listened to them. The shop owner loved them. He has a lot of very expensive gears and well trained ears since decades of selling true high end stuff.

We ended up the session in another room with real high level 2 channel. TAD's largest speakers, mono blocks, preamp, CD..
WOW!! Realy nice sound despite very high sound level. Organ that sound huge with 24Hz tone...
We talked about same thing as the Revel F208's, really nice sound, music, instruments. NO harsh not nice details zzzzzcreeeeaming tweeters as the Focal Electras.

The Revel F208 sounded really good after that session with really high end gears that cost a lot more.
The fact about Electra 1038's demands on an amplifier that can deliver good power at 2 ohms helped my choice too. The Revels are not that demanding.

Before the vistit to the shop I was sure about purchase a complete Electra setup with 1038Be, center and surrounds, all in electra series.

The visit ended up in F208, C208 and S2006 surrounds. Ordered today (Black Friday discount I cannot miss). The sound made my choice, not the price. I could have purchased the complete Focal Electra 1038 setup (5.0) with larger discount

My amplifier home is a Nuforce 7 channel that can bi-amp the center (will have 2 channels left over. Can be rear with new processsor)
2 channel amp to feed the F208's. 3RD DJA:KEL 2x500W@8ohms, almost double @ 4ohms
old Thule PR350 processor
Bluray player Cambridge Audio CXU with good analoge circuits like OPPO 105D, maybe even better.
Subwoofer: SVS PC-13 Ultra.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perqele View Post
I have also auditioned Revel F208 AND Focal Electra 1028 BE. (The shop did not have the 1038BE's that were on my list.)

Winner: Revel F208
Both hooked up to same gears. The shop owner moved wires between the speekers.
Integrated amplifier: Mark Levinson No.585
Blura yplayer: Pioneer BDP-LX88

Music: Malia & Boris Blank "Convergence"

I started to listen at Revel F208 that sounded very smooth and comfortable despite rather high sound level. One thing I noticed almost direct was the sound, very well sounding music with powerful song and bass.

Switched to Focal 1028 after 45 minutes of listening. Huge difference!!! Very harsh hard sound that gave my ears more than they wanted. The sound was no longer good music into one, more analytic and separated sound in tweeter, midrange and bass. The bass was good and tight with nice pump though.

But my ears could not take it for long, neither my head when I got headache after 20-30 minutes. I understood that Electra 1028/1038 cannot replace my old Monitor Audio GR60 setup that also has slightly sharp tweeter. My wife should not be able to hear it.

Switched back to Revel F208. I had to know how I think now after the Electra experience. Should they sound too laidback, missing details?
No, nice wonderful music without lack of details. My family will love them.

The more detailed harsh sound from the Electra's is nothing I want when it is a tweeter that take too much focus. My family would not feel good either with that harsh sound.

Maybe the Electra 1028 sound different with different amplifier that need a harsher sounding speaker...
The Revel large center speaker will match really good to with large woofers of same size as the F208. I'm sure it will sound well together. I have not listened to them. The shop owner loved them. He has a lot of very expensive gears and well trained ears since decades of selling true high end stuff.

We ended up the session in another room with real high level 2 channel. TAD's largest speakers, mono blocks, preamp, CD..
WOW!! Realy nice sound despite very high sound level. Organ that sound huge with 24Hz tone...
We talked about same thing as the Revel F208's, really nice sound, music, instruments. NO harsh not nice details zzzzzcreeeeaming tweeters as the Focal Electras.

The Revel F208 sounded really good after that session with really high end gears that cost a lot more.
The fact about Electra 1038's demands on an amplifier that can deliver good power at 2 ohms helped my choice too. The Revels are not that demanding.

Before the vistit to the shop I was sure about purchase a complete Electra setup with 1038Be, center and surrounds, all in electra series.

The visit ended up in F208, C208 and S2006 surrounds. Ordered today (Black Friday discount I cannot miss). The sound made my choice, not the price. I could have purchased the complete Focal Electra 1038 setup (5.0) with larger discount

My amplifier home is a Nuforce 7 channel that can bi-amp the center (will have 2 channels left over. Can be rear with new processsor)
2 channel amp to feed the F208's. 3RD DJA:KEL 2x500W@8ohms, almost double @ 4ohms
old Thule PR350 processor
Bluray player Cambridge Audio CXU with good analoge circuits like OPPO 105D, maybe even better.
Subwoofer: SVS PC-13 Ultra.
Congratulations!
F208 are indeed an excellent decision. Youll love them. Revel speakers are maybe closest to what reality sounds.
Not harsh sound at all, and most important detailed,clean, clear and crystaline...
Enjoy
Old 11-29-2015, 03:49 AM

Liked: 0
I should have got this idea 1 year earlier when the Revel speakers costed less. They increased +20% mars 2015 due to the dollar vs the currency here.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:05 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I] I'm a Synthesis / Revel dealer and I've been working directly with the Harman engineers to design my demo system.
[/I]
Have you heard anything from Harman about their new processor for consumers coming out that will include Quantum Logic?

http://harmanprogroup.blogspot.com/2...es-qli-32.html

Last edited by witchdoctor; 11-29-2015 at 04:10 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:43 AM

Hi there I have the F 208 in piano black and I loved them. My dealer said I should get the F208 for the CtR channel instead of the F205 . The measurement i gave him say the c 208 would fit. Well it doesn't and he won't take it back. Should I go with the C205 or a good three way speaker like aperion,SVS,Def tech or the concerta C12.

The opening is 11 1/2 inches and my living room is roughly 20x20x9 and it opens to the living room and kitchen,

Thanks for your help in advance

Michael
Old 12-10-2015, 09:45 AM

Hi there I have the F 208 in piano black and I loved them. My dealer said I should get the F208 for the CtR channel instead of the F205 . The measurement i gave him say the c 208 would fit. Well it doesn't and he won't take it back. Should I go with the C205 or a good three way speaker like aperion,SVS,Def tech or the concerta C12.

The opening is 11 1/2 inches and my living room is roughly 20x20x9 and it opens to the living room and kitchen,

Michael
Old 12-10-2015, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by aasen7 View Post

Michael
Man that's a terrible dealer. I would go with the C205 for the center before changing brands or lines...surrounds you can go lower.

I have the F208 and the C208 combo FYI but for the surrounds I have the concerta F12.
John Schuermann likes this.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Can anyone explain the odd choices revel has made with their concerta subwoofers?

First it was the b12, a sealed 650w 10" with a -3db point of 28hz. Then it became the b120, a ported 250w 12" with a -3db point of 36hz. Then it became the b1, I'm not sure what changed(same specs as b120).

I bought the revel f12/b1 combo earlier this year, now I realize I would have been better off with the original b12.

On another note, the concerta 2 b10 is a ported 800w 10" with a -3db point of 35hz.

Seems like the subs are getting worse, maybe they're not selling well...
Old 12-20-2015, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

The brand new Revel Concerta2s *just* shipped last week and my full set of Concerta2 demo speakers will be arriving tomorrow. We were at Harman Academy in August and got to hear the new Concerta2 M16 bookshelf double blind tested against competing designs from Polk, KEF and Monitor Audio at the same or higher price points. At the end of the test, 7 out of the 8 people present picked the M16 under double blind, volume matched test conditions. It was my understanding that the previous week they had been testing the Concerta2 line (tower and bookshelf designs) against B&W and some others, with similar results.

The B10 will be in the shipment, as will the following:

One pair F36 towers
One pair F35 towers
One pair M16 bookshelf speakers
One pair S16 surrounds
One C25 center
One B10 sub (as mentioned above)

I will be demoing all the above (along with the JBL LSR708) at my location in Colorado Springs, if anyone wants to hear them

Actually, the Concerta line has been selling extremely well. I have some good contacts at Harman so will see if I can get some clarification on the specs. Each generation of Revel speakers is tested double blind against previous iterations as well as competitive designs, and are not released until they can reliably beat what is thrown at them. I would imagine that the new B10 would actually outperform the previous Concerta subs - the B10 was combined with the F36 towers and S16 surrounds / C25 center for a fully certified Synthesis system at CEDIA, which means they need to be certified to exceed THX and SMPTE specs after calibration.

Hope that helps!

John Schuermann
Old 12-20-2015, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasen7 View Post

Michael
Why in the world won't he take it back? I would definitely stick with a Revel center, though, preferably the C205.

FYI, the new Concerta2 Center is the C25. It would be a better match for the Performas than the previous Concerta model (the new Concerta2s were tested against the Performas during the design phase).

Here are the dimensions for the C25: (H x W x D): 7.25” x 12.45” x 10.1”

Here are the dimensions for the C205: (H x W x D): 7.9” x 21” x 11.5”

John Schuermann
Old 12-20-2015, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor View Post
I] I'm a Synthesis / Revel dealer and I've been working directly with the Harman engineers to design my demo system.
[/I]
Have you heard anything from Harman about their new processor for consumers coming out that will include Quantum Logic?

http://harmanprogroup.blogspot.com/2...es-qli-32.html
If this is the product I am thinking of, we were shown a prototype at CEDIA. We didn't get into much detail about it as I understand the specs and pricing were still being worked out...

John Schuermann
Old 12-21-2015, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

The new Revel Concerta2s are here - the full lineup! Will be setting up most of these later today or tomorrow

bigguyca and Tank_PD like this.

John Schuermann
Old 12-21-2015, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post
Why in the world won't he take it back? I would definitely stick with a Revel center, though, preferably the C205.

FYI, the new Concerta2 Center is the C25. It would be a better match for the Performas than the previous Concerta model (the new Concerta2s were tested against the Performas during the design phase).

Here are the dimensions for the C25: (H x W x D): 7.25” x 12.45” x 10.1”

Here are the dimensions for the C205: (H x W x D): 7.9” x 21” x 11.5”

Is that width dimension correct for the C25? I know all the literature says that, but the picture sure looks much wider. Two 5.25" woofers and a 1" tweeter is 11.5" by themselves, so there is only 1 more inch of cabinet left? Something doesn't sound right.

http://images.cdn.whathifi.com/sites...?itok=aWV92ZBA

John, can you measure your C25 after unboxing?

Brad
Old 12-22-2015, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad/Viper-Fan View Post
John, can you measure your C25 after unboxing?
Sure! I just cut and pasted the info from the price sheet and never really even looked at it. Sorry!

The C25 is 19.5" wide, 7" tall, and about 9.5" deep. I will let Revel know that the specs are wrong - WAY wrong

Hope that helps!

John

John Schuermann
Old 12-22-2015, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Revel Sub repair?

Any quality shops in the San Antonio,Texas area that can fix my B15a sub? Thanks! Hal
Old 12-24-2015, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Can anyone recommend a dealer in the Orange County, CA area?
Old 12-31-2015, 04:34 PM

Looking for a dealer quote on the revel b1 subwoofer.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal26 View Post
Any quality shops in the San Antonio,Texas area that can fix my B15a sub? Thanks! Hal
There's a place in Austin that does amp repairs but not sure what problem you have and if they would check it.

Give AB TV in Austin a call and see who they recommend.
They're a Revel dealer.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Schulz View Post
Looking for a dealer quote on the revel b1 subwoofer.
Where are you located?
Old 01-01-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
Where are you located?

on revels website, the only authorized dealers near me are custom installers in lexington and cincinatti... which has made my revel collection difficult to acquire
Old 01-01-2016, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Schulz View Post

on revels website, the only authorized dealers near me are custom installers in lexington and cincinatti... which has made my revel collection difficult to acquire
Sent you a pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Revel